Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
I'd like to tell you guys about a PW: Story server on Neverwinter Nights. Roleplay Heavy, story heavy, and, if it helps, full PvP.
I'm sharing now, of all times, because the server just recently entered a new chapter of the story. The name is dumb, but it's trying to fit a theme established 8 years ago. I'm talking about "Escape from Uncertainty: Revelations". A continuation of "Escape from the Underdark", which became "Escaped from the Underdark: Archipelago", which became "Escape from Undeath: Mistlocke".

You can read about it here, but let me tell you about the finer things, the things the site won't mention.

The server is heavily inspired by Lovecraftian horror, and Game of Thrones. People die. The consequences for death are very heavy. Heavy like, if you respawn, you lose 1/3 of your total experience. If your character is murdered by another player's, you can't respawn at all. You can only come back to life if your body is recovered, and a Raise Dead spell is cast on you.

I should also impress on you that the server is designed to be difficult. The surviving remnants of humanity have fled to the Underdark, because the surface has been overrun by aberrant powers. Solo-play is not rewarded. In fact, if you leave the city without an ally or a very strong idea of what you're doing, you will almost certainly die.
Finding a group of people to quest with you, and learning how to work together and share supplies is crucial to survival.

Levelling above 8 is uncommon, and levelling above 10 is exceptionally rare. Characters are not superheroes, and power tends to be determined more by who your friends are, than how strong your build is.

The setting is alive, in the sense that there are mysteries intended to be solved by players over the course of months or years.

The DM team is a genuinely awesome bunch of folks. They love seeing new players, and they care a lot about retaining quality players. For example, I asked the Founder a few weeks ago if he'd like me to advertise here, and he asked me to wait until the team had a chance to iron out the problems (too many bugs, not enough content)associated with having just completely changed the Setting.

I can't really express enough that if you're interested in serious, high-quality storytelling and roleplay, this is the very best place to go for it.

If you've got questions, you can pop in to the IRC channel, #efu on irc.darkmyst.org, and ask in there. You can also ask me in this thread, or send me a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

I imagine that there's still something of a community left, but after the master servers went down I'm sure things are beginning to stagnate if they haven't already.

I was saying at the top of this page that there's a NWN PW still going, and it is, in actual fact, better than it's ever been.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I am. I'm totally gonna check this out. Do you have a link to downloads and poo poo?

I've been a player on EFU since 2006, and was trying to promote this server a couple pages back.

One of the beautiful things about it, is that there are no mandatory downloads at all. Not even CEP.

There are plenty of texture overrides compiled in-house, and they do a lot to beautify the world - or certainly they did when the setting was on the surface.

Anyway: http://www.efupw.com/getting-started/ will help you a lot.

Kestral, that was a really good write-up, and surprisingly fair, even from my perspective as an ~*~elite vet~*~ of the server.

I'd like to elaborate that the server's difficulty is balanced with the expectation that most people on NWN have been playing NWN for ten years, know the mechanics inside and out, and make a point of adventuring with friends. Solo play will not get you very far, nor will it be very fun. There is grinding up to about level 6, but it is miserable, and a thousand times slower than just getting one or two friends and doing a couple of the (repeatable) quests.

I'd argue that forum warrioring isn't strictly necessary. If you build a character with neat goals, interesting characterization, and motivation to do stuff, you have a very good shot of getting positive attention, completely irrespective of your reputation out-of-character.

Kestral posted:

I've yet to see any flagrant examples of terrible DMing or staff insanity, outside of one DM who made a thread calling out players for using such immersion-breakingly anachronistic terms as "Hey" and "Wait up." In time I'm sure The Crazy will rear its ugly head because that's inevitable for a PW, but given that the server has been running since 2005 we can at least say that it's a stable form of crazy.
Ladocicea, the DM in question here, is an old-guard twat who's been absent for five years. He's well-regarded for running amazing events, and dynamic stories, but if you read the thread he posted, you'll find that a LOT of players were calling him out for being a huge douchebag roleplay-cop.

In terms of crazy, I honestly have never seen anything like what you guys are used to from servers like Haze and Wake. EFU's Founder, Howland, is actually an incredibly solid guy. Not a gamer or a creep, he's on record that he likes his roleplaying "sexless and full of violence". Cybering is verboten, and this is strictly enforced.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
If, by any chance, anyone else decides to try out EFU, there's a fellow there called Random_White_Guy, who's an incredibly inclusive, very creative player, who's always got some kind of faction going. His characters don't tend to live long, but they can provide a great launching point for all kinds of people. I think he's doing some kind of fascist political cult of Gargauth now, but I don't really know the details. Something about a blood war, and hunting demons.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Spek posted:

The 3-4 Bodaks at the end of Chapter 1 who do nothing but spam Death Gaze at a time where I don't think it's possible to have deathward potions, items, or scrolls.

Bodaks are going to death-gaze at about a DC 15 that randomly switches between Fortitude and Will. If you can stack those stats, and then make sure you've got a summon or a companion to tank the shots somehow, you'd probably be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Praetorian Mage:

##DebugMode 1
##dm_givegold 999999999

Also, while in DebugMode, you can dump all of the gear you have at the start of the game, into a chest or on the ground, then come back for it after you progress past the "empty your inventory" sections by pressing, I think it's either the comma or period keys on the keyboard by default, selecting the area you left that stuff, retrieving it, and warping back to where you were.

Basically what you're doing is opening a DM client tool as a player and moving freely around the module - but, if you don't want the game to be challenging, why not just skip the middle man and use dm_god or dm_setlevel 40 while you're at it?

• Locked thread