Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Awesome OP(s).

If any of you join Legacy, post about it in the NWN2 PW thread or post on their forums, don't PM me because I'm taking a break for a spell so I probably wouldn't be able to answer your questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I am down for MP OC NWN2!

Skype is fuzzmd.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sounds neat, I've been looking for a new server after a clique of really self centered players basically decided to drive a lot of the cool people out of my last one. Might check it out if SRR doesn't keep sucking up all my free time.
(SRR is awesome and you should all go get it.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Is that PW still kicking? I would be up for making a warlock who thinks she will be lynched constantly or something. Love me some warlocks.

Which, Legacy? The goon run one? Nah, it imploded a few months ago and I heard even the creator, Troy, quit.

From what I heard, basically one angry selfish dude wormed his way into an important DM position, he already had a pretty prominent PC that ran fief, he formed a tiny clique of cutthroat players and then systematically started murdering off literally everyone in sight in mostly poor sportsmanship ways, with lots of miscommunication and DM entrapment. Caused a bunch of people to just up and quit because frankly that's just not fun from a community perspective, and like half the team quit too. I'm sure there was more to it behind the scenes, but I had already quit by then because both of the guys I played with most had sort of burnt out and quit too, and we all started playing other stuff on Steam.

Real shame, too. For the year I played on it it was a really drat good server with some of the craziest plotlines I've seen on a PW. I keep hoping some of the better DMs (Blackout, cbear, Kiroy, PsiOmega, Troy) take the systems that were coded for it and make a new server, but at this stage in NWN2's life, that'd probably be a losing battle. :smith:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 10, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone have any experience with the Cormyr PW for NWN2?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

What's a good build for a Stormlord? This is for an RP PW, so I don't care about weirdo races and crazy 1 level multiclassing... they require at least 3 contiguous levels in a class before you multi, and I'm leaning towards Cleric as the divine caster for it (unless someone gives a solid argument otherwise) and mainly want to pretend to be Thor (as in, the comic book guy) with a spear. Not claiming to be son of Talos (though that could be fun) but mostly just being a brash and arrogant prick.

Alternative is either an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster or something like that... the server (Cormyr) has Dimension Door and teleport spells, and some sort of Wizard or something that incorporates that would be neat, but yeah... I like to hit things and not be made of paper or at least make up for it with awesome skills. Thoughts/ideas? They aren't using Kaedrin's.

Also any of you play on there?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?117100

You can ditch Able Learner and the Assassin dip for whatever to meet the level reqs.

Edit: That said, don't roll a cleric/stormlord if you want to play a skillmonkey. You'll be getting 2/level and dumping Int for the most part.

Edit 2: Here are some other choices that don't suck:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?37132 - this one gets HiPS (the best feat in the game), a 5d6 Sneak Attack, and EDM/DS, but it's kind of a late bloomer.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?18951 - this version is a cleave monster with nutso Strength.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?82137 - this is a fun Warlock/FS/SL hybrid that gives you a ~10d6 persistent damage aura. If your server isn't using K's, this (using Death Ward to prevent Con Damage from hellfire, quicken on Eldritch Blast, etc.) may or may not be fixed - it is in K's, but I know nothing about Cormyrs custom stuff. Here's a version that is also an Orc: http://nwn2db.com/build/?234
http://nwn2db.com/build/?10093 - Crit Machine Weapon Master variant. For when you just want to stab things in the face.

I almost always play a rogue type, so I wanted something different this time. That warlock build seems interesting though... aren't warlocks super boring to actually play, though? I dunno even know what I'd RP with that...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I decided to go for something completely different and now have a Swashbuckling Wizard!

Name is Selena Borias on Cormyr, if any of you also are on there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I went with a Swashbuckler/Wizard for now, but now I'm at an impasse. Originally I had planned to go for this funky Eldritch Knight/Invisible Blade build based on this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?1097

But the fact that I wouldn't be able to get Perfect TWF with a human, plus the totally wasted Bleeding Wound feats (no sneak attacks) kinda annoyed me, though the Feints seemed pretty cool.

I concocted a similar build, but like this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?163225

Because a rapier just seemed more pirate-y and my character is supposed to be an ex-pirate, so look wise it's pretty great. It also seems like kukris are hard to find on the server. Thing is, it's totally skill-poor and I feel like with the stacked Insight setup, the IB build would just be hilariously better even without Perfect TWF in terms of ripping people in half, even if the Duelist build has slightly better AC and a way better crit range with Keen Edge.

Either setup could work from an RP standpoint, so I'm a bit torn on which way to go. Flourish is sorta neat, but I feel like feint + dual-wielding 1d4+10 kukris at 9 attacks a round (10 with Haste) would just be even more hilarious, PLUS it gets a bunch of handy skills like Listen and Spot for me to dump points into.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?163227

Here's what I would do with the Invisible Blade setup. Skills aren't fully done on either of my builds, just so you know. I just put in the important ones for passive bonuses.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 18, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So I went with a Swashbuckler/Wizard for now, but now I'm at an impasse. Originally I had planned to go for this funky Eldritch Knight/Invisible Blade build based on this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?1097

But the fact that I wouldn't be able to get Perfect TWF with a human, plus the totally wasted Bleeding Wound feats (no sneak attacks) kinda annoyed me, though the Feints seemed pretty cool.

I concocted a similar build, but like this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?163225

Because a rapier just seemed more pirate-y and my character is supposed to be an ex-pirate, so look wise it's pretty great. It also seems like kukris are hard to find on the server. Thing is, it's totally skill-poor and I feel like with the stacked Insight setup, the IB build would just be hilariously better even without Perfect TWF in terms of ripping people in half, even if the Duelist build has slightly better AC and a way better crit range with Keen Edge.

Either setup could work from an RP standpoint, so I'm a bit torn on which way to go. Flourish is sorta neat, but I feel like feint + dual-wielding 1d4+10 kukris at 9 attacks a round (10 with Haste) would just be even more hilarious, PLUS it gets a bunch of handy skills like Listen and Spot for me to dump points into.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?163227

Here's what I would do with the Invisible Blade setup. Skills aren't fully done on either of my builds, just so you know. I just put in the important ones for passive bonuses.

Bump... any thoughts on this? I just hit level 3, and need to decide which Weapon Focus to take.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Judgement posted:

Nope. Your choices are "empty" or "bad". CHOOSE WISELY.

Cormyr has been pretty populated for the two days I've been playing, and so far it's quite fun and has some solid RPers. Really nice area design, too.

http://frcormyr.proboards.com/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

The attitude of the lesser races.

Says the guy with a human.

I'm enjoying myself. My Pirate Queen will sail again! :pirate:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

Good news everyone. The elves on cormyr are as awful and clique-y as every other server.

Yeah, but isn't that how they're supposed to be? They're roleplaying stuck up xenophobes.

Which is why I made a goddamn human. gently caress elves.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Futzed around on Cormyr for an hour of two today. After realizing that it was going to take like 9 hours of grinding the same two hallways to get to level 3, and that going anyplace else gets me killed immediately, I gave up.

I understand slow progression but this is pathetic/insane.

Posted about this on their forums, we'll see what the response is.

If they get some obnoxious "WELL YOU HAVE TO EARN THAT LEVEL 3-4 BUB" poo poo, I might just stop bothering, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Really enjoying Cormyr now that I've explored some more, have a few levels under my belt, and was in a DM event last night. It goes way quicker than leveling on Legacy ever did, that's for sure. Hit 4 early last night and by the time I stopped playing I'm already 2/3 of the way to 5, and that was with a bit of downtime just hanging out and RPing.

Also Milosh is THE poo poo. :allears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

Ah Cormyr. I knew ye well. Just metagamed by a DM's pc and thrown in the slammer. Flashbacks to the frontier's muddy rape pit here.

EDIT:

A beautiful mistell :allears:

:what:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Cormyr was almost totally dead anyway. I wonder if there's any more luck to be had in NWN PWs.

Eh, I'm on right now and there's 12 other people online late night on a weekday, so it's not terrible. No idea what that screenshot was about, so far my experience has been pretty mellow.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

You should care if a server bans it, less so that people still do it. Whether a server bans it or not tells you a whole lot about the culture they tolerate/hope to foster. Choosing not to ban it usually is a bad sign.

Exactly. They also have a strict rule about consensual RP for that stuff, and DMs aren't allowed to ERP at all when DMing, and if they do and you prove it they're gone. Seems like a pretty happy medium to keep everyone happy and keep it to a controlled minimum. Personally I don't give a drat what people do in PMs/behind closed doors. On Legacy there were people that'd ERP on occasion, and whatever, didn't bother me on impinge on my RP, so what does it matter? Let them play the way they want.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well I know some of you have your panties in a twist because oh god some people are cybering in PMs on Cormyr and OH GOD, but Quantumfate, KittyEmpress and I have been having a pretty great time... KittyEmpress is a friggin' DM magnet, apparently, and his character keeps getting into all sorts of crazy poo poo. Quantum and I had our share of some of the fun today against a massive skeleton horde event (which he leveled up during), then we plumbed the depths of the sewers to kill a giant sea serpent and skin it. Then I went off on my own and swindled the most obnoxious mage character on the server out of some gold to lead him to a really easy to find scroll merchant, where he found out the scroll I had just sold him 10 minutes earlier could have been bought for a whopping 3 gold (he traded me Tasha's Hideous Laughter for it). He got all upset at me but didn't demand his money back, instead trying to barter with me for some more spells by offering me a scroll of (worthless) See Invisibility (I already have Blindsight). I played along and he started asking me what spells I knew, so I rattled them off and you could practically see the shrinkage as he realized I already had almost twice as many spells as he does. This is a dude that's been powergrinding the crypts and plays the most obnoxious Aasimar Wizard on the server, who thinks he's the Gods' gift to everyone. Was pretty hilarious to tell him, "Oh, actually, I can already see invisibility with Blindsight... nevermind then!" (he doesn't have Blindsight) and then he almost got killed by a snake trying to walk back because he didn't know the safe path through the King's Forest.

:allears:

EDIT: For Kitty and Quantum, yes it was that douche Stephen Silversmith or whatever his name is... Selena just calls him "Eyebrows."

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 24, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

The first forum. And I only see the one forgotten realms - cormyr server in men2, so I can't help you too much as to why you see five. I'm the only goon thayan though. My friend, also a goon, has another easterner. The other two goons are a pirate EK powerbuild and a halfling warlock

It's hardly a power build... if it were, I wouldn't have gone with 8 strength but 10 charisma.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

krazysigmarite posted:

Any tips on how to get a few levels on Cormyr? My random explorations have been punished with a few deaths. So far I've found a well with snakes, a crypt with ghouls, and then a pit filled with beetles that are way too powerful for what I should be fighting at level 2.

Basement of the inn and the sewers beneath it, first floor of the ruins outside of town.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pirate crew supremacy! Come man a cannon on the deck of The Plucky Dame... well, once we actually have enough money to buy her.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Basically D&D in general is a holdover archaic system that needs to just go away, but we play what's available and unfortunately no one is making DM client games that support PW architecture based on Savage Worlds, or Shadowrun, or nWoD, or Pathfinder, or whatever other system/setting you prefer.

It's obscene how much money I'd pay for a good Star Wars or other sci-fi type type PW game with real RP.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hey Quantum, can you tell your friend that plays Milosh to register on the forums if he's still playing? We're hashing out the interior design of the pirate ship and we're going for a Firefly feel with lived in spaces and personality, and I want to know what sort of ridiculously pompous bunk with perfumes and hookahs or whatever that Milosh would want to have around all the time with him. Tell him to send me a PM on the forum and I'll add him to our discussion, since he's on the crew now (there's 6 of us total now!) because we all agreed he would be a hilarious and fun addition. :dance:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We got our subforum for the pirate guild on Cormyr. :hellyeah:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

krazysigmarite posted:

Anyone have any dirt on the PW "Sundren" ? I've been popping around different PWs. Cormyr is fun, but it's difficult to find people to play with and progression is painfully slow.

It has 0 RP exp and is an old server that's mostly full of high level cliques that dominate most of the plots, from what I've heard. Pretty standard fare.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ossian Studios also made some soft expansions for both games... I only played the NWN1 one (Darkness over Daggerford, I think?) but I remember it being pretty great, and apparently they did an NWN2 one called Mysteries of Westgate. Anyone play either of them? Did they make any more? I also remember hearing that the NWN1 Premium Modules were pretty good, but I only dabbled in Wyvern Crown of Cormyr because it had horses in it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MotB is its own thing and not contiguous with the OC, right? Our is it not like NWN1?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

There was a cool Psionics mod for NWN1, but I have no idea if it works with SP.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

Some poo poo about SP

Hey Quantum, dunno if you'll read this in time, or maybe milosh's player will, but we've got a pirate crew event about to start on Cormyr in the next 30-45 min or so (9:30ish PM EST) and Milosh is part of the crew, so it'd be cool if he was there for it. Let him know!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, Precise Strike is only with rapiers, short swords, or daggers. Use the right weapon, buddy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

On the Cormyr front, the pirate crew finally has its ship! Should go in in the next couple weeks, and apparently they have a big rollout coming which will double the size of the aboveground playable area and adds a whole shitload of new quests. They also tweaked the existing quests so they're all weeklies now and have bigger payouts, so leveling up has become pretty painless, it's just a matter of putting in the time and RP and stuff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Black Numenorean posted:

Those who are interested in taking part in NWN's multiplayer for the first time or are interested in trying a PW out should probably look into the Easter New Character Event that's going on in Prisoners of the Mist. All information about the event and everything that you might need to get started can be found here. The music override, by the way, is a must if you don't got your own music blasting in the background and is highly recommended by yours truly.

PotM isn't for everyone, but you might be able to determine if it's a good fit for you during the NCE!

I was all reared up to jump into this, then I saw it was NWN1, which I don't have installed. Care to elaborate more on why it wouldn't be for everyone? I'd like to have a better idea of what it's like before I go through the hassle of finding my old CDs and installing this poo poo, and their forum is mostly total garbage and horribly organized.

Also anyone have any good suggestions on a good Rogue-y melee build for NWN1? Been so long since I played it, I forgot all the ins and outs. Is the server relatively high magic, gear wise?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I haven't played there in ages, but as I recall it's "not for everyone" in that it's a fairly strict RP server with a bunch of rules about what is/isn't considered good RP. XP gain is slow as hell, grinding is discouraged. Setting is Ravenloft, which carries a fair amount of baggage. Low-medium magic, and what's there is hideously expensive and rare. When I gave it a whirl, I got repeatedly gibbed by HiPSing gerbils in low level areas, and got lectured on setting minutia by what turned out to be a 17th level barmaid. Also they were using HCR last I checked, so expect to spend time hunting deer early on to prevent dying mid-rest.

Ooookay, gently caress that then.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Drone posted:

Just tried it on my level 3 monk with Weapon Specialization: Quarterstaff and nope. When I try flurry, I get the message that it won't work with the equipped weapon type.

It only works with fists and kamas in NWN1.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mecheon posted:

And the Vault's well and truly dead

They're working on uploading stuff to the new Vault but uh, yeah, there's about 40,000 files to upload

And about 35,000 of those are nude and/or sex mods.

HALL OF FAME.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

goodness posted:

I've never had more fun with a single player RPG than I had with NWN 1 and 2

You need to play the Witcher games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

For the life of me, I cannot actually remember what happened in Shadows of Undrentide

GNOME GETS KILLED ---> DEEKIN? ---> ???? ---> FLOATING CITY

That's all I got.

The main bad guy was a Medusa, other than that I remember about as much, though I remember enjoying the smaller scale of the story.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

goodness posted:

So I should try Witcher?

gently caress yes, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I really liked how both of them played. Just make sure you're playing the Enhanced Edition. First one is still an awesome game.

• Locked thread