Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Guess i'll finally post in here.

Nihilarian posted:

Let's go with Latyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was going to vote for Orubia, the less popular blue-hair, but since the people have gotten ninja-fever I'll help cement Caris' victory.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hayami

Sessha knows that that Caris will win, but sessha is still holding out hope.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for Burnfist like always.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Edit: gently caress it, jumping on the Hayami :bandwagon: that cropped up from no where just to help spite you for guessing burnfist would win.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 3, 2014

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Hayami

Sessha knows that that Caris will win, but sessha is still holding out hope.

Sessha agrees with this logic. Sessha also votes for Hayami

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Hyperman1992 posted:

Sessha agrees with this logic. Sessha also votes for Hayami

Not an empty quote.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gunshoot.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Mariel is the Anime girl of Ryle's dreams! Because there's no better combination than dazed, clumsy, and guns!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"It must be him! I can just tell!"

Because there are other glowing red demons the size of a castle?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The fist still burns.

Burnfist.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Burnfist all day every day.

If you don't have enough points to get ANY of the girls to love you, you get the "bad ending". Well, it's hardly that, you just get a textbox saying that Ryle couldn't beat CHAOS without the power of love or some BS, then you get a Game Over. If you don't have a backup save before the Point of No Return, sucks to be you :v:

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

What, no love for the Gundam our Mary Sue Anime Lord and Saviour?

I'm not surprised; she's a terrible character.

... Ah, hell. I'm pretty sure I stuck with Burnfist before, so Burnfist it is!
As much as I like Hayami, her verbal tic always makes me die a little inside.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you choose Fina, does that mean you do the last battle with 2 people?

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
My votes:
1 - Caris
2 - Latyss
3 - Fina
4 - Hayami
5 - Lucitta
6 - Mariel
7 - Orubia

In that, do Latyss first, finish with Caris. I hope you pick everyone in this order because finishing with Caris is the best option in my opinion.

Tin Tim posted:

Of course you can, because this is the room where you select the ending of your choice!

If the girls love Ryle enough, they'll appear unconscious at the end of a path. Fina will always be here, and she looks ghostly because she didn't get knocked out by the blast that CHAOS shot at us earlier. She is actually fighting CHAOS right now. Waking up one of the girls, will then transition you into the last battle, and locks the ending you'll get. The individual thresholds aren't exactly known to me, but I think Orubia has the lowest, while Latyss has the highest. Oh, speaking of Latyss, see that empty sign in that last screen? That's where she's supposed to be.....Yep, I didn't drug her enough! I was off by a single point or something I think. So I curse a bit, and then reload my save, drug Latyss extra hard, and play back to this point.

Here's the attraction values you need for this point in the game.
Latyss: 46
Fina: 44
Caris: 42
Hayami: 40
Orubia: 38
Mariel: 38
Lucitta: Auto

I know this one from memory; when I first learned about all of this I didn't realize you could go back to the database and look things up. I did this one all through trial and error.

Also, for your eyes only, Tin Tim (and for anyone else who's curious). A little something you may not have known about the upcoming fight.

You can lose this fight. I don't understand the coding but basically it is possible for you to trigger Omega Cluster and you lose. From what I saw, I think it's something like if you reduce his 200,000 HP to 0, but then he goes back up past 0 when he triggers Omega Cluster, you should lose. You might want to experiment a bit when you're showing off everyone's new moves, which I'm assuming you're doing.

Also, each time you get a cutscene of CHAOS talking with Ryle, that's 50,000 of the HP gone. He still lives past being below 0, though.

Brony Hunter posted:

If you don't have enough points to get ANY of the girls to love you, you get the "bad ending". Well, it's hardly that, you just get a textbox saying that Ryle couldn't beat CHAOS without the power of love or some BS, then you get a Game Over. If you don't have a backup save before the Point of No Return, sucks to be you :v:

Beat me to it. Yeah, that kinda happens. It's more of FLARE letting you know that you were reminded that if you don't get a single girl's ending, you will get a Game Over at the final area. You can achieve this ending by leaving through the bottom teleporter if none of the girl's Affection Levels (listed above) are reached.

Nihilarian posted:

If you choose Fina, does that mean you do the last battle with 2 people?

Correct. It's more interesting as a dynamic that way when we get to the Final Boss Fight's gimmick.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Gonna go for Latyss, since you had to work extra hard to get her.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Caris. I get the feeling her ending will fit in pretty well the way the previous scenes with her have. She tends to have some good moments when she's not beating up Lyle for whatever reason.

I'll vote for Latyss for second though.

Also, I just caught up the other day, but forgot to post. I notice that you comment on the justification of things like demons feeding on negativity and such, but I think that FLARE was probably just inspired by the anime Slayers. Fina is giving me quite the Lina Inverse vibe, and there's a lot of shared elements with it. Demons also feed off of negativity, and there was a dragon vs. demon war going on. While the dragons seem to mostly be helping the demons this time, they were enemies in the original game. But yeah, I think there'll be a lot of things that might be easily chalked up to some Slayers inspiration. That also has a lot of things happen during the fights to save the day, if I recall correctly.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Latyss

Hardest to get equals best?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Caris because if you jerks vote for an ending where there's twenty times more "sessha" than required I will not be amused.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Caris because if you jerks vote for an ending where there's twenty times more "sessha" than required I will not be amused.

Actually, you might be pleasantly surprised at how little the "sessha" doesn't intrude as it did in the past. But I like Caris nonetheless.

Erlkonig
Dec 7, 2012
Latyss, because what's an anime dream girl without elf ears?

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Hayami

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I counted the votes and here's what we have

Caris: 14
Hayami: 9
Latyss: 7
Mariel: 5
Orubia: 2
Fina: 0 lol

Lucitta also has zero votes, but I guess that's because she came so late so whatever. I think that's a good order for the endings and will make it so.

thenightsshadow posted:

In that, do Latyss first, finish with Caris. I hope you pick everyone in this order because finishing with Caris is the best option in my opinion.
My thinking is that since this thread has gone on for so long, I'd rather start with the thread favorite so that the folks who just want to see that ending can get out if they want.

thenightsshadow posted:

Also, for your eyes only, Tin Tim (and for anyone else who's curious). A little something you may not have known about the upcoming fight.

You can lose this fight. I don't understand the coding but basically it is possible for you to trigger Omega Cluster and you lose. From what I saw, I think it's something like if you reduce his 200,000 HP to 0, but then he goes back up past 0 when he triggers Omega Cluster, you should lose. You might want to experiment a bit when you're showing off everyone's new moves, which I'm assuming you're doing.
Hmm, sounds like a bug that I'll try to avoid :v:

thenightsshadow posted:

Beat me to it. Yeah, that kinda happens. [spoiler]It's more of FLARE letting you know that you were reminded that if you don't get a single girl's ending, you will get a Game Over at the final area. You can achieve this ending by leaving through the bottom teleporter if none of the girl's Affection Levels (listed above) are reached.
Ah yes, I was wondering what the reason behind the lowest path was. Never saw that "ending" myself.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

lol Fina, no one likes you, gently caress off forever.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Ah yes, I was wondering what the reason behind the lowest path was. Never saw that "ending" myself.

I feel like it might be there as a just-in-case option because it seems somewhere between extremely hard and impossible to get none of them, maybe if you deliberately spread the unavoidable affection events in the 'worst' way possible and skipped everything that's optional.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The End

As per the last vote, Caris will be our canon ending.

"Mmmm..?"

"You alright?"

"Ryle! Is that you?"

"Looks like we are still in the Astral Realm."

"W-What about the others!?"

"I think they should be fine. Otherwise we wouldn't be here talking. I guess Fina used her power to send all of us here during that blast."

"Glad to hear that."

"But Fina can't make it by fighting CHAOS alone! Her Cosmos Eternal is not complete!"

"But what can we do? I don't think our attacks are of any use against CHAOS!"

"I'll help Fina to prepare Cosmos Eternal by delaying CHAOS as much as I can!"

"Ryle!?"

"I want you to take the others to a safer area!"

"But you'll get killed!"

"If we can't win this fight, CHAOS will destroy us sooner or later."

"....."

"Caris! You got that?"

"What makes you think that you can do this alone?!"

"I know it's out of my hands. But!"

"Hah~*sigh* Oh well! I'll go with you!"

"What?"

Come on, we played this game before and all know how it'll end.

"More numbers are better right? Not only that, you can't use magic! You need me!"

"But it's very risky!"

"I didn't say we will go on a suicide mission! We will fight to survive!!"

"You know we stand very little chance of winning!"

"But I won't let you go alone."

"As long as we work together, I'm sure we can make it."

"......I got it."

"Ryle! Don't forget our promise we made to each other back in Fina's home!!"

"Of course I do! We fight to win our own future!"

"Good! That's my boy!"

"We will win...and go home! Everyone's waiting for us!!"

"Ah! Back to Lavas!!"

And with a fade to black...

...we change to Fina's fight with CHAOS. With kinda hard to read text :v:

"With the puny energy from 4 Demon lords, I don't have enough power to talk right..."

"It began to talk!?"

"And what do I have here right after my return? Confrontation with Sacred Dragon again!"

"(So it also has some intelligence.)"

"Fina Delstar...So you are the offspring of Flare Delstar..."

"(He just got powered up again!!)"

"Really resembles Flare."

"Unlike my mom, I'm born with the Dragon Gene. So I'm able to fully control my power even in the early stages!"

"Of course it would be an insult to almighty Sacred Dragon if I assumed you as weak as other humans."

"(Hm! Full of confidence eh?)"

:ohdear:

"There must be a way to beat this guy! But I can't go on like this!"

"Hm! Fina. Done with the observation?"

"(I knew he would notice soon! That I'm using only 80% of my power.)"

"Then here we go! FULL POWER-!!"

Fina shouts a bit while the games does its usual flashing and rumbling. And that's it. Pretty anticlimactic and I don't even know if it has any real effect on Fina's stats :shrug:

"(There's a Dimension Barrier around CHAOS! Most of my attacks will get bounced off easily. I better save my energy and gather atom particles fast!)"

Okay, here's something that you probably forgot about by now. When Flare fought CHAOS, she figured out that his barrier can't be overcome. Except for atoms that are so drat tiny that they slip through. So, she just uses atom particles for her attacks. And now Fina will do the same! No, don't ask me how that works.

"Now show me how much the power of the new Sacred Dragon is different from the old one!"

"I must win this!! Everyone's depending on me!"

"DIE Sacred Dragon!!"

As with other fights, the first few rounds are just a filler until things happen. But as Fina said before, her attacks also actually can't do poo poo right now. So doing buffs and heals is your only option for the next four or so turns. At this point, CHAOS will not use a lot of his attacks, but you already get to know one of his annoying moves.

He'll often use this at the start of his round, and it doesn't cost him an action. It doesn't do too much damage, but can become annoying if he follows with a strong group attack. Fina has a chance to block that attack though. Sometimes she'll use her teleport to stop it. No idea what the chance for that is though.

Anyway, let's skip to where things happen.

"(While CHAOS can use the barrier indefinitely, I can use Teleport only when it's necessary...My power will soon deplete if I keep going like this!)"

"WHAT!?"

"!?"

"Fina! You ok!?"

"Ryle!?"

"Hey Fina! It's me!"

"Caris too!? How did you come all the way here? The energy field should have kept you out!"

"Simple. Your Dimensional Field which allows us to be here, is made up of atom particles. And since you have become maximum battle mode, the field itself also got upgraded automatically."

Becoming maximum battle mode is my new favorite phrase :allears:

"Is that so?"

"You didn't even know about that? It's part of your powers~"

"Well, I didn't expect the field could get boosted like this."

"Little fishes have stumbled into the wrong pond?"

"Who did you call "little fish"!? How rude~"

"...AH, CHAOS can talk!?"

I like how Caris' first reaction is to yell at the mega demon that kills everything :golfclap:

"It's regaining its former power with every minute! And even began to talk!"

"Now it can talk!?"

"Fina! Hurry up!! Just focus on gathering enough atom particles!"

"Even with the field protection, you can't fight with CHAOS now! It's just too dangerous!! So far not a single shot actually harmed this guy! I can't penetrate its Dimension Barrier."

"Don't worry, let me handle it! I already got plans."

"Now I'm really worried~"

"We will combine the atom particles with our most powerful skills."

"HEY-!! Then what's the point of saving them if you gonna just waste all of em~"

"What other options we got? Any brilliant ideas?"

"Mm~"

"Then just do as I say!"

"Alrighty! Here we go! Atom particles discharge!!"

Okay, let's talk about this. As I understand it, Fina just shot out all the atoms she collected so far, so that they'll fuse with Ryle and Caris. Both of them get new moves from this, but Fina is back to zero. So....why? Isn't she supposed to be Anime Jesus and fight this thing? Now her pals fight it while she's stuck being a cleric for them. She isn't even collecting more atoms or doing something special now. Like, I know how it'll end, but that whole thing makes no sense. Even with the ending in mind.

Anyway, now the fight is actually real. Caris and Ryle got new moves that use atom particles and can hurt CHAOS, while Fina keeps them alive. I'll show those moves in a moment, but let me explain the CHAOS fight first. He has 200000 Hp. Yes. That is a fact. Each time you'll chip off a quarter, a few lines will trigger. You really can't know this, but the game has operated on the principle that getting bosses to talk during fights accomplishes something. So if you understood that, you'll know that you're getting somewhere. That's a huge amount of Hp though, and it takes for loving ever to chew through it. At least the new moves help you there, because they do something in the range of 4000-8000 points of damage.

Let's check em out!

This is also a new form of attack, because it hits multiple times in a row. First it hits with a strike, then follows with a shockwave and repeats that once. So you get four hits, which mostly amounts to something between 3000 and 4000 damage after it's done. While having those new moves is nice, you also need to press the space bar to advance after each hit, which adds even more time to this already long fight.

This attack only hits once, but reliably scores over 4000 damage. So there is actually no reason to use Ryle's other attack, because the damage of it is much more variable.

This move hits three times in a row, and the damage per hit is very variable. The last one usually does a good number though, and it clocks in between 7000 and 8000 damage.

Edit: Caris actually also gets two new attacks, but I forgot to use the other one. Whoops.

Well, with our attacks out of the way, let's talk about what CHAOS does to us. Aside from the dark damage spam at the start of most rounds, he has a couple of strong group attacks, the dreaded curse force that tanks your stats and defences, a double hit melee attack and a group curse that can trigger different effects like berserk, shaky or sleep. On top of that, he also has a few specials.

That's cool, right? Well, at least your party members have like a 50/50 shot to die or live. Fina is safe from it though, since her dying means game over.

This effect just makes afflicted people lose a turn.

So, in conclusion this fight is super long and kinda tough. It's not too bad though, if you let Fina heal or fix people every turn. The lines during the fight are also the usual boss banter, so let's skip that and jump to where I finally managed to chew through all the 200000 hit points.

"!!"

"Flare once repelled my Omega Cluster with the Teleport....But not THIS TIME! Because the Omega Cluster I'm about to use...contains ALL MY POWER-!!"

"NO!! We can't block and not even dodge THAT kind of blast!"

"N-No way! You gotta be kiddin!!"

"Omega Cluster!!"

"Finish you ALL!! OMEGA CLUSTER-!!!"

CHAOS just shoots a big gently caress-off blast at everyone.

"FINALLY! No more Sacred Dragon or those humans to oppose CHAOS!! I shall dominate and destroy their world!"

Oh no, what a surprise!

"!? W-What!? This...voice!!"

The energy cloud just kinda fades away and collapses into Fina.

"Teleport! I just sent off the energy from your Omega Cluster!!"

"Someone like you makes the same mistake twice...how odd?"

"But that's impossible!! This time I put so much energy into the Omega Cluster, there's no way you can..."

"But we did it! You Omega Cluster is no longer a threat to us!!"

"But how!? How were you able to warp out that much energy!?"

"Like you said, with my Teleport I can't handle something as big as your Omega Cluster. But I was able to move some of it."

"!??"

"Omega Cluster, besides its massive energy also consists of a large body of atom particles. So I just borrowed those atom particles from Omega Cluster thanks to you :h:"

Of course she did. Of loving course :downs:

"Atom particles!? but how can you..? !! You mean....!"

"See I have been waiting for you to use Omega Cluster."

"Now...it's MY turn!!"

"Listen to my prayer. The source of all the energy in this universe, grant me the power!!"

Fina starts glowing...

...and goes full saiyajin.

:japan:

"...!? This must be Flare's...!!"

"C O S M O S"

"ETERNAL-!!"

"As you already know...My Cosmos Eternal is entirely made of atom particles. And it's the only spell which can penetrate your barrier and destroy you for good."

"Arrrrr! Beaten by the humans AGAIN!!!"

"Remember what my mom said? "Because we are humans"..."

"!!"

"We might be weak as individuals, but we can support each other and unite our strength! And there's no way for me to pull out Cosmos Eternal alone!!"

"All the people in our world gave me the strength to protect them! And the forces of this universe responded to my plea."

"Fina..."

"Way to go girl!!"

"CHAOS....as long as you don't understand that, you can never win against a Sacred Dragon."

"Sleep FOREVER! Demon lord CHAOS..."

And then he just crumbles into pixels.

:woop:

"Not so early Ryle! We must evacuate from here before the shock wave comes!!"

"!! Ok! Everyone still should be there!"

"I got it! I just located everyone!! Here we go!"

"Where is CHAOS!?"

"I used Cosmos Eternal to defeat the Demon lord."

"So everything is finally over?"

"I...hope so."

"What do you mean?"

"CHAOS is a part of the universe and the force to drive our world. So we can't destroy it completely."

"Yes. The CHAOS we just fought is merely a part of a greater being which was materialized in this dimension. And because it was brought up by our negative emotional energy, it could come back."

"But our part is done now. Next time, it's up to the next generation."

"How long will it go on like this? This vicious cycle..."

"It'll be alright. I'm sure of it..."

"Of course! We humans have lived on so far."

"Sessha also has faith in human potentials."

"Anyway, we can finally get some rest!"

"..right."

"Now, what are we going to do?"

"Well, let's go back to Lavas! Things will get busy starting from tomorrow."

"What else do we have to do?"

"Since CHAOS is gone, we better report the news to each kingdom!"

"But I'm just SO tired~ Can I skip this one?"

"Aren't you gonna claim the fame and REWARD?"

"Reward!? *Cha-ching*"

"(Wow! Fast recovery~)"

"Maybe I can just claim a very small amount to pay the student loan from Mage Academy~"

"How big will the reward be?"

"It must be huge amount of gold, because we just saved the entire world."

"Maybe I could buy a town and live like a local aristocrat."

"N-Nobles...!?"

"Hey Caris! Stop drooling over the gold that you haven't got yet."

"Don't forget we pretty much ruined Factoria Castle while fighting with the Mahzoks. It won't be enough to pay for the repair jobs."

"GREAT~*sigh*"

"(Maybe Caris ought to be a banker instead of a paladin...)"

"That means, all we gonna get is some fancy award ceremony and some honorary badges...that's it?"

"That's probably it. We didn't start our mission for gold you know."

"Dear Ryle. Then what's on your mind?"

"Oh no~ You gonna turn me in for a reward!!"

"Of course NOT!"

"I just want to return my status and rights as the Factorian prince."

"Ryle..."

"Are you gonna just throw away your title?"

"I see. Ryle hates to live among nobles...he just wants to be himself right now."

"What about Hayami? You got any future plans?"

"Sessha..."

"Her duty is over, and so is our contract."

".....*lowers face*"

"Eh!? She's gonna leave us?"

"Because she was ordered by Lord Zestrum to escort me when I had the title of prince. Once I return the title, no more contract and thus no reason to stay with us."

"But I don't want her to leave~"

"I don't know...It's not something we can force her to do."

"She's right. There's nothing I can do about it."

"But it's so sudden. We've been together for so long..."

"....."

"Come on! Stop crying. As if we are not gonna see each other forever. And Hayami is our friend, period! She can visit us anytime."

"Lady Fina..."

"Yes. She can come to Lavas anytime, we'll be there."

"We are all connected with a tight friendship, no matter how far we are apart..."

"......Yes indeed!"

"Hayami...Thanks for everything!"

"Please stop saying farewells. Sessha won't leave everyone."

"Ah, sorry...hehe! We will remain as friends all the time right?"

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"(So this is the true strength of humans...)"

fuuuuuuuuck :argh:

I didn't comment on anything during the ending, because I wanted you to see it uninterrupted. I think it's neat, but a little plain. Well, that short derail about Hayami was dumb, but I'll take such an ending over the usual philosophical discourse at the end of any Jrpg ever.

Oh wait, scratch that

However, as Fina warned before, there is no way to eliminate all the evil from this world...Then what can we do from now on? Time keeps going by, the world remains the same, and so do its people. It's only a matter of time before they have to face the same fate again...The true utopia. I wonder what kind of world that would be...? As long as the people don't realize what they really seek, the vicious cycle shall haunt them over and over again...

"And I'm determined to correct all of it! By creating a new world for us!"

Well, that wasn't too bad :v:

I debated with myself if I should upload the credits, but decided against it because that's all they are. Just a scrolling text with some music in the background. Aside from Flare and RM2KFanBoy, there are a few probably long gone internet aliases in there. I don't think that the like five people that will click on it warrant me rendering and uploading the credits. Buuut, if you really, really want to see them, I'll throw em up as a bonus.

"6 months have passed since the last battle...Caris began to work as a peace maker for uniting all races and stopping any more conflicts. And I became her travel companion throughout her trip to various places in the world...mainly since my Warp skill comes in handy~ And after the report at Meldia, we took a little break at Rave Bridge, the trip has been under a very tight schedule."

"Hey man! I'm not a warp device!!"

"Oh, thanks to your lack of study in geology, we are already late for the next stop!"

"Arrrrrg! But you can't just force me to study these books for hours!!"

"Hours? Oh please~ You can't even last one minute in front of a book!!"

"Can't help it~"

"Why did I even think of counting on this guy in the first place?"

"I warned you at the beginning!"

"But come on, don't you have pride as a man? Giving up so easily?"

"I just can't! Ok? Whenever I try to read, the words start to dance inside my head!"

"Get serious! I mean it!!"

"!?"

"Even after we defeated CHAOS, it didn't just end there."

"We must make a happier world with less conflicts among kingdoms and different races! If not, we would give CHAOS another chance to return by providing it enough negative energy."

"Not only that, we need to resolve the issues between ourselves and elves...and more!"

"....."

"I think I told you before, about my dream of living in a peaceful world. Even after CHAOS is gone, I must continue fighting!"

"That's why I need your help!"

"I understand what you're saying. But I'm still not sure about the reason for me to come along."

"!?"

"Everyone has their own weak spots, and mine are the books. I can't fix it at least for the next couple of years..."

"...."

"How about recruiting someone good at gathering information? It would make our job much faster."

".... But that's not what I wanted!"

"Huh?"

"You were right on how to make the people happy in a more efficient way...Yes, we need more help..."

"Then why not?"

"But that won't fill the other MUCH more important part of my happiness!"

"Mm?"

"I promised to mom!! That I will live a happy life!"

God drat, Ryle. Please get it. The joke that you're too thick to realize that any of the girls are in love with you got old a while ago.

"!! You really mean it?"

"I'm not following you! What is it about?"

"Y-You...!"

"I HATE you! I HATE you!! How can you be so DUMB?"

This time you deserve it :colbert:

"Waa~ Stop it! Put down the sword!! It's too dangerous!!"

"I already gave you so many clues and you still don't get it!! Bakka!!(fool)"

"(Ouch! What a power!!)"

"We travel together because I want YOU to be by my side!! Bakka! Bakka! Bakka!"

"AH!?"

"Oops!"

"Caris..."

".......... You know what? Why you...~ Why didn't you tell me so!?"

"You know I can't say that because of Shisho!"

He means Caris' father, jfyi.

"What?"

"I also realized our relationship for some time you know!"

"You see, I was just pretending to be an idiot because I fear your father."

"Then...tell me...your feelings. Dad is not here you know."

"Eek!"

"....."

"(Hey I'm not prepared...~ Why do I have to say it here!?)"

"I can't wait any more! And who knows when you gonna tell me after today?"

"You better say it NOW!! Or else we are through! Over!!"

"Man, you're pushing it!"

"Let me make this clear. I MEAN IT!!"

"You are so selfish!"

"I don't want us to end like this! Arguing meaninglessly...."

Oh poo poo! He's gonna do it :suspense:

"Caris....I...."

"...*heart pounding*"

"Huh?"

"That voice!! D-Daddy!?"

"Caris-!! I don't mind if you continue to travel around, but NO marriage without my consent!!!"

"Yikes!! BAD timing!"

"Only one thing we can do now!"

"When you can't win~"

"We RETREAT-!!!"

"Wait Caris!!"

"Wow!! Can Shisho run faster than us?"

"It must be over his limits!!"

"But he doesn't look that tired at all!!"

"Come on Ryle!! Hurry up!"

"You're...actually enjoying THIS!?"

"Bingo!"

"I can't believe this!!"

"Obstacles always add more spice to it! Romance that is!!"

"WAAAAAAAAAAIIIIT!!!"

"Despite that gruesome marathon, Caris got busy with another trip the next morning~ Since I found out what her real "motive" was, I had no choice but to stick with her journey. Probably for the rest of our life...that is."

"And the book digging too~"

"Come on, no more long face. I'm sure we can go through together...Up to page 145 until midnight :h:"

Well, that was Caris' ending. I think it's cute, and fits her character and her previous relation with Ryle. That's really all I can say about it, but you Anime-likers can weigh in on it too if you want.

Oh, and there is still something else to see!

"Me? I'm the author of the game FLARE~"

Of course you are! I don't even wonder anymore at this point.

"Why the cow outfit? Well because I was born in the year of the BULL! You now have cleared Caris' ending. Allow me to explain a little of her background story and early setting."

"Since she was the first character I worked with and also the longest, her moves and personality are the most original as well. And her graphics, I had to redraw more than 30 times~ I only had Raining Cluster and Heat Ray for her at first. The rest were added later. By the way, there are 2 hidden moves for Caris. If you haven't found them yet, it's not too late! One is somewhere in the big library! The other one may got something to do with the Sword Tomb?"

It's cool, we got both of them. Also, it's very much too late right now, but thanks anyway.

"Caris had a mother named Ellis. She had beautiful blue hair just like Caris. Her father Brad used to be in the 36th cavalry of the Meldian knights. Her parents met during the war and fell in love. Later Ellis gave birth to Caris. Her family lived in Meldia until Ellis passed away from a terminal disease when Caris was four. Caris pretty much acts like her father, Brad. Maybe because she understood Brad's constant efforts to make up for her mother's love. So she began to bully a couple of kids after she moved to Lavas Ville, and guess who her first victim was...?"

"She may appear to be a very strong willed rogue, but sometimes she shows her tender side. Especially when Ryle was near death in the Dannyon Mine. Also the night event at Southern Cray City shows her weak side. She also likes to lecture Ryle like an older sister~ So how do you rate her?"

I suspect that every answer gives you a slightly different reply, but I'm not mad enough to check it.

"Maybe because she understands the pain and suffering of others and is willing to help them. That's the true strength of the human heart!"

"I really appreciate your time to read this far! THANK YOU very much! If you felt at least a tiny bit of affection for Caris during the gameplay, as a game maker, I would be happy and proud of my work. REALLY! Please also try some of the other girls endings if you haven't~ And last, I owe myself to all those who put their time and effort into making this game and its promotion. THANK YOU ALL!"

I think it's pretty neat that Flare gave us a little insight at the end. The cow joke isn't doing it for me, but hey, at least it's in line with some other jokes that have been made in this game.

There is also mooing in the background. You may not get why, but the joke is that Flare is arrrghhh make it end already

And there we are! The end! Get the gently caress out and never return to this wacky Anime land!

Oh right, the Lp actually isn't over at this point. Well, thanks anyway for sticking around! It has been a long and exhausting ride, but we're almost done. Or done, if you only wanted to see Caris' ending. I envy the lucky bastards that can just jump ship and carry on with their lives now....But I digress. Next up are the other endings, that I'll obviously present in a much more condensed manner because a lot of things will overlap before the epilogue.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 3, 2014

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
I'm glad the others will be condensed. Interested to see the other ends play out. I didn't really care for Caris.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You know, I liked my JRPGs better when characters used friendship, hard work and guts to overcome the final opponent. This dragon energy particle atom crap? I'm not feeling it.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Man, this game would have been a lot less charming if the translator had a decent editor. Yeah, the ending is a little cute but groan worthy, too.

SSNeoman posted:

You know, I liked my JRPGs better when characters used friendship, hard work and guts to overcome the final opponent. This dragon energy particle atom crap? I'm not feeling it.

I'm not too big a fan of FRIENDSHIP:japan:, but yeah, Fina colliding hadrons into the devil's face was kind of stupid (and not stupid in the fun way).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So in the end, did we never actually find out who the red haired girl on the title screen is?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, the ending felt a little underwhelming. I thought that Caris had some of the better moments in the game (both ironically and unironically), but I found this one lacking a little. Brad showing up from nowhere kind of spoils it a little, but I guess that's this game's "wacky" sense of humour for you.

And yeah, that reverse atom thing was dumb. It'll be cool to see how the other endings turn out, though.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

You do get a different response for the last line of the ending...for every character :v: So if you want this to be a 100% complete LP you'll have to finish the game thrice for each girl! (Or peek into the editor and get the lines directly)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's just the kind of ending I'd expect from an anime with multiple love interests. Noncommittal to the end.

Thanks for the LP! Hopefully one of the endings will be a winner.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really, there's got to be a better name than "atom particles" for them that actually sounds cool.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

He'll often use this at the start of his round, and it doesn't cost him an action. It doesn't do too much damage, but can become annoying if he follows with a strong group attack. Fina has a chance to block that attack though. Sometimes she'll use her teleport to stop it. No idea what the chance for that is though.

20% chance. Rolls a number between 0 and 4, if you get a 4 Fina blocks it. If I get the code, it happens on the 2nd turn and every three turns afterwards.

Tin Tim posted:

Okay, let's talk about this. As I understand it, Fina just shot out all the atoms she collected so far, so that they'll fuse with Ryle and Caris. Both of them get new moves from this, but Fina is back to zero. So....why? Isn't she supposed to be Anime Jesus and fight this thing? Now her pals fight it while she's stuck being a cleric for them. She isn't even collecting more atoms or doing something special now. Like, I know how it'll end, but that whole thing makes no sense. Even with the ending in mind.

Anyway, now the fight is actually real. Caris and Ryle got new moves that use atom particles and can hurt CHAOS, while Fina keeps them alive. I'll show those moves in a moment, but let me explain the CHAOS fight first. He has 200000 Hp. Yes. That is a fact. Each time you'll chip off a quarter, a few lines will trigger. You really can't know this, but the game has operated on the principle that getting bosses to talk during fights accomplishes something. So if you understood that, you'll know that you're getting somewhere. That's a huge amount of Hp though, and it takes for loving ever to chew through it. At least the new moves help you there, because they do something in the range of 4000-8000 points of damage.

Let's check em out!

This is also a new form of attack, because it hits multiple times in a row. First it hits with a strike, then follows with a shockwave and repeats that once. So you get four hits, which mostly amounts to something between 3000 and 4000 damage after it's done. While having those new moves is nice, you also need to press the space bar to advance after each hit, which adds even more time to this already long fight.

This move hits three times in a row, and the damage per hit is very variable. The last one usually does a good number though, and it clocks in between 7000 and 8000 damage.

Since Ryle is so cool, he actually gets two new skills.

This attack only hits once, but reliably scores over 4000 damage. So there is actually no reason to use Ryle's other attack, because the damage of it is much more variable.

Notice Phoenix Sword? That's another attack. All characters get 2 new attacks.

Ryle gets Senkozan and Jigen Kuhazan.
Caris gets Phoenix Sword and Crimson Raid.

We'll see everyone's in due time.

Also, the lead up for each attack has two options, but that's something that's just fluff and not really noteworthy. Especially with the whole ...... thing Ryle does for Senkozan.

Edit:
I have the formulas for the attacks if you want it. It'll help if you want to determine the fastest way to get through the Chaos fights.

First off, CHAOS overheals 9999 HP and 999 MP every turn, so you can't drain him of MP. This also prevents him being at 0 listed HP and then you attack him with a normal attack to deal 1 damage and kill it before the autoheal script takes place.

Next, when Fina upgrades to "maximum battle mode" she gains an extra 10 levels. This is the trick to this game: Ryle and co. have a Level cap of 40 but Fina has a level cap of 50. If you ever reach higher than Level 40 before she transforms to this final form, the result can be noticeably weaker.

For the Omega Cluster to give you a game over, the game checks for FinaActionPsb. I'd need some help determining what Action it's looking for. Also, a possible Game Over can occur if Omega Cluster triggers and Ryle is not revived at that point in time. This is most relevant in the Fina fight as it's easier to go through the boss with just Fina's moves and leave Ryle dead after a successful Mort Vortex.

Next, the damage. Damage estimations in parentheses are calculated with optimal equipment and without the stat ups obtained by both Overdrive Lv. 2 and the Demon Lord Orbs.

Ryle
Jigen Kuhazan: (1920-4240)
1st Hit: 2-4*ATK + 0-100
2nd Hit: 1-2*ATK + 0-100
3rd Hit: 2-4*ATK + 0-100
4th Hit: 1-2*ATK + 0-100

Senkozan: (3200-4580)
1st Hit: 10-14*ATK + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Senkozan.

Caris
Crimson Raid: (3284-7532)
1st Hit: 2-5*ATK + 0-100
2nd Hit: 2-5*ATK + 0-100
3rd Hit: 3-6*(ATK+MND) + 0-100

Phoenix Sword: (2952-5984)
1st Hit: 3-5*MND + 0-100
2nd Hit: 2-4*ATK + 0-100
3rd Hit: 2-4*ATK + 0-100
4th Hit: 2-4*ATK + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Crimson Raid.

Orubia
Asis Liberation: (3024-7156)
1st Hit: 6-14*MND + 0-100

Divine Wave: (3528-8364)
1st Hit: 2-5*MND + 0-100
2nd Hit: 2-5*MND + 0-100
3rd Hit: 3-6*MND + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Divine Wave.

Latyss
Elemental Force: (1480-6320)
1st Hit: 1-4*MND + 0-100
2nd Hit: 1-4*MND + 0-100
3rd Hit: 1-4*MND + 0-100
4th Hit: 1-4*MND + 0-100

Elemental Flare: (2960-6020)
1st Hit: 8-16*MND + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Elemental Flare.

Hayami
Riusei Tenzo: (1885-6532)
1st Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
2nd Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
3rd Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
4th Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
5th Hit: 1-4*ATK + 0-100

Seiju Hiken: (2639-4624)
1st Hit: 7-12*ATK + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Riusei Tenzo.

Fina
Cosmos Blaze: (1083-6698)
1st Hit: 1-3*(ATK+MND) + 0-100
2nd Hit: 1-3*(ATK+MND) + 0-100

Cosmos Victory Buster: (2715-9188)
1st Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
2nd Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
3rd Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
4th Hit: 1-3*ATK + 0-100
5th Hit: 1-4*ATK + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Cosmos Victory Buster.

Mariel
Full Drive Cannon: (2336-5940)
1st Hit: 8-20*ATK + 0-100

LRB Cannon: (2920-4872)
1st Hit: 5-8*ATK + 0-100
2nd Hit: 5-8*ATK + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Full Drive Cannon.

Lucitta
Nova Square: (5042-7084)
1st Hit: 13-18*MND + 0-100

Vanishing Ray: (3104-10888)
1st Hit: 1-3*MND + 0-100
2nd Hit: 1-3*MND + 0-100
3rd Hit: 1-3*MND + 0-100
4th Hit: 1-3*MND + 0-100
5th Hit: 1-3*MND + 0-100
6th Hit: 1-3*MND + 0-100
7th Hit: 1-4*MND + 0-100
8th Hit: 1-4*MND + 0-100

Verdict: Pick Vanishing Ray.

I'll unspoil the names of the moves you should pick as the ending comes.

Tin Tim posted:

This effect just makes afflicted people lose a turn.

Lose a turn? At worst I lost 3 turns, and Fina's able to be affected by it. Lately on re-runthroughs (which I started thanks to the LP) I've been getting hit by this a lot, while on my first two runs he never did it.

Tin Tim posted:

Oh, and there is still something else to see!

"Me? I'm the author of the game FLARE~"

Of course you are! I don't even wonder anymore at this point.

"Why the cow outfit? Well because I was born in the year of the BULL! You now have cleared Caris' ending. Allow me to explain a little of her background story and early setting."

"Since she was the first character I worked with and also the longest, her moves and personality are the most original as well. And her graphics, I had to redraw more than 30 times~ I only had Raining Cluster and Heat Ray for her at first. The rest were added later. By the way, there are 2 hidden moves for Caris. If you haven't found them yet, it's not too late! One is somewhere in the big library! The other one may got something to do with the Sword Tomb?"

It's cool, we got both of them. Also, it's very much too late right now, but thanks anyway.

"Caris had a mother named Ellis. She had beautiful blue hair just like Caris. Her father Brad used to be in the 36th cavalry of the Meldian knights. Her parents met during the war and fell in love. Later Ellis gave birth to Caris. Her family lived in Meldia until Ellis passed away from a terminal disease when Caris was four. Caris pretty much acts like her father, Brad. Maybe because she understood Brad's constant efforts to make up for her mother's love. So she began to bully a couple of kids after she moved to Lavas Ville, and guess who her first victim was...?"

"She may appear to be a very strong willed rogue, but sometimes she shows her tender side. Especially when Ryle was near death in the Dannyon Mine. Also the night event at Southern Cray City shows her weak side. She also likes to lecture Ryle like an older sister~ So how do you rate her?"

I suspect that every answer gives you a slightly different reply, but I'm not mad enough to check it.

Here, I'll transcribe the other two options. Be warned, I'm not proofreading them.

- She was very lady like.
FLARE: Those who insist to be strong outside tend to be soft inside, and she is the case. Like me!
rm2kfanboy: Oh, really.

- She is humanitarian.
FLARE: She's very straight minded and so is her feelings. HONESTY = Caris Burnfist! That's her most attractive personlity!!

I'll be honest, when I played through the game, I didn't care much for Caris or her backstory. She's since grown on me, but I still can't take her seriously as a character. Then again, who am I to talk, I liked Orubia's ending and it's sappy and cliche as, well, anime.

thenightsshadow fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 16, 2014

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I say do Fina's ending next, just to see how bad it is. All praise Anime Jesus. :suicide:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Oh wow, I wouldn't have thought that the ending would fall so flat for y'all :v:

Well, I think it's sorta deserved though, because Flare shot her own game in the foot with the ending. Like, dumb surprise solutions were a mark of the whole game, but they were usually the result of a ridiculous chain of one-upping which made it kinda funny again. In the last fight, Fina just does it and that's that. Even her final power-up was pretty lame, so I can understand where y'all are coming from.

However, I think that Caris' epilogue was fitting. Like I said before, I know very little about anime, but back in the days when some random translated things were shown in late night Tv programs, I saw one thing that followed the funny romance theme. Most of girls in that thing all had that hot/cold attitude that Caris has, slapstick was also a big part, and the male character was also clueless but competent when he needed to be. So I think that Flare hit that theme with Caris, and it probably was her intention too. If that's your cup of tea is another matter though.

BlitzBlast posted:

So in the end, did we never actually find out who the red haired girl on the title screen is?
Nope!

thenightsshadow posted:

Notice Phoenix Sword? That's another attack. All characters get 2 new attacks.
Oh wow, I honestly thought that it was an old attack! Oh well, thanks to your analysis we know that it's not that good anyway.

thenightsshadow posted:

Also, the lead up for each attack has two options, but that's something that's just fluff and not really noteworthy. Especially with the whole ...... thing Ryle does for Senkozan.
That's true. I just didn't feel like bringing it up. And tbh, it also adds more mashing of the space bar so I could have done without more battle lines.

thenightsshadow posted:

I have the formulas for the attacks if you want it. It'll help if you want to determine the fastest way to get through the Chaos fights.
Thanks for the info! You have been a treasure to this Lp, let me tell you.

thenightsshadow posted:

Lose a turn? At worst I lost 3 turns, and Fina's able to be affected by it. Lately on re-runthroughs (which I started thanks to the LP) I've been getting hit by this a lot, while on my first two runs he never did it.
Huh, I never lost more than a turn. But then again I also only saw the attack like twice.

Brony Hunter posted:

You do get a different response for the last line of the ending...for every character :v: So if you want this to be a 100% complete LP you'll have to finish the game thrice for each girl! (Or peek into the editor and get the lines directly)

thenightsshadow posted:

Here, I'll transcribe the other two options. Be warned, I'm not proofreading them.
Lol, I just knew that Flare wouldn't pass up the opportunity to write more alternate dialog.

thenightsshadow posted:

I'll be honest, when I played through the game, I didn't care much for Caris or her backstory. She's since grown on me, but I still can't take her seriously as a character. Then again, who am I to talk, I liked Orubia's ending and it's sappy and cliche as, well, anime.
On my first run of the game I too didn't like Caris much. Her brash attitude didn't interest me, so I never looked into her further. But yeah, this Lp redeemed her for me. If you do like her is just a matter of taste though. And I think that one of strengths of the game is that it lets you decide which of your anime girls suits you the most.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 20, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Double posting so the maker wizzards see it.

Is there a way to cut the hp of CHAOS in half without breaking the whole fight? Speeding that thing up would help me greatly! But I guess there are some systems tied to his HP, so I just don't know if all will crash if his hp gets halved.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My problem with the ending isn't with Caris. The problem probably stems from me watching more anime/manga than you growing up, so I'm really really tired of male leads with multiple love interests who don't actually commit to one, or commit very half-assedly (like in here). Just have Ryle tell Caris he also likes her! Why have that last minute interruption from the father?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Tin Tim posted:

Double posting so the maker wizzards see it.

Is there a way to cut the hp of CHAOS in half without breaking the whole fight? Speeding that thing up would help me greatly! But I guess there are some systems tied to his HP, so I just don't know if all will crash if his hp gets halved.

There are definately some custom systems tied to his HP. In RPG Maker 2000, the maximum HP an enemy has is 99,999, and the maximum damage any attack can do is 999. (Actually, the maximum HP might even be 9999, can't remember) Sicne Chaos is immune to every attack apart from the "atom" attacks, I theorise his "HP" is tied as a custom variable rather than his stats in the editor. You'll note that these new attacks are "different" to the others;, they're actually triggers for in battle events, switches and variables rather than real, damaging attacks. If you edit things so characters can learn those atom attacks earlier on, and try them in any other battle, they'll do NOTHING at best, or break the game at worst. Given how covoluted any custom systems had to be in RPG Maker 2000 (as it wasn't very customisable friendly at all, unlike never makers), it'll likely be a bitch to edit without breaking everything.

• Locked thread