Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I thought I had a pretty good handle on the afterlife business in folklore, but then in this quest it throws a curveball. It previously seemed that "the afterlife" wasn't really a 'life', it's just where your memories went when you died, until they were eaten by mnemosynes or faded away or whatever. The spirits of the dead couldn't actually change, they were like a snapshot of the person's personality at the time of death. Now Ellen's mother is deciding stuff posthumously?

I'm never quite sure whether to blame these misunderstandings on the writing or the translation (or both), but a lot of this game has this confusing quality for me. And yet I still enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the DLC, because I'm pretty sure I never did any of that. I played through sequentially as Ellen, then Keats, so by the time I got here I was quite ready to just wrap things up and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Dilb posted:

I thought I had a pretty good handle on the afterlife business in folklore, but then in this quest it throws a curveball. It previously seemed that "the afterlife" wasn't really a 'life', it's just where your memories went when you died, until they were eaten by mnemosynes or faded away or whatever. The spirits of the dead couldn't actually change, they were like a snapshot of the person's personality at the time of death. Now Ellen's mother is deciding stuff posthumously?

I didn't see any of that in this quest, for what it's worth - nor has anything in the game said that the spirits of the dead can't change just because they're memories. Dr. Lester became satisfied with his death when he learned that Cecilia was still alive, for example. The notion of lingering spirits of humanity desiring to resolve conflicts from their lives is tradition in Western mythology, at least, and seems like the sort of belief that would likely be universal. I think it's the nature of a human-shaped collection of memories to be able to react to new information and achieve the satisfaction that wasn't possible in life.

Even if we assume that the images of people in the Netherworld can't change, I didn't see anything that Ingrid did that was anything other than a decision that couldn't possibly have been made until she was dead - one can't well decide how to react to people one hasn't met yet, or how to react to them in a situation that doesn't yet exist. I think it's likely that as she died, she decided that that was the end and she didn't want Ellen to try to resolve things with her in the Netherworld, but that she did want to impart her story to Keats if he came looking. Or that those were the decisions she would have made, and in the Netherworld, that's how they played out.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Nidoking posted:

I didn't see any of that in this quest, for what it's worth - nor has anything in the game said that the spirits of the dead can't change just because they're memories. Dr. Lester became satisfied with his death when he learned that Cecilia was still alive, for example. The notion of lingering spirits of humanity desiring to resolve conflicts from their lives is tradition in Western mythology, at least, and seems like the sort of belief that would likely be universal. I think it's the nature of a human-shaped collection of memories to be able to react to new information and achieve the satisfaction that wasn't possible in life.

Even if we assume that the images of people in the Netherworld can't change, I didn't see anything that Ingrid did that was anything other than a decision that couldn't possibly have been made until she was dead - one can't well decide how to react to people one hasn't met yet, or how to react to them in a situation that doesn't yet exist. I think it's likely that as she died, she decided that that was the end and she didn't want Ellen to try to resolve things with her in the Netherworld, but that she did want to impart her story to Keats if he came looking. Or that those were the decisions she would have made, and in the Netherworld, that's how they played out.

That seems to make the most sense when you put it that way. The real curveball for me in Folklore's mythology is the presence of Cecilia, who, as far as we know, isn't actually dead, unless we're supposed to interpret that Cecilia is Ellen's past, which she had forgotten and/or repressed somehow due to traumatic events. And somehow, this counts as a death in Folklore's eyes? Or was Ellen just a special case since there was also that one time where a Mnemosyne was blocking a path because it had somehow eaten up a bunch of Ellen's repressed fear of her past self?

And Lulu was fairly autonomous in her death as well, actively hiding from Ellen's dead-seeking visions at an inconvenient time that eventually lead Ellen to mistakenly believe that she was the actual murderer during the climax of her Hellrealm journey.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There's another example coming up that may shed some light on things, or just confuse them, but that's in two more videos, I think. For now, I can't really say anything definite - there are lots of possible explanations, including "It just doesn't make any sense," but I think I'll leave it up to your imagination.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Almost caught up. But good drat I Love Keets entrance the to court room.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's time to finish the first (and shortest) set of quests with the last two of Keats' daytime quests. It seems that the villagers really don't have that much for Keats to do, so he'll be doing most of his favors for the Halflives at night. This video also features the only new Folk we'll be getting from any of the daytime quests in this chapter, and the one I've alluded to in the past as taking a colossal effort to build up. But it will be so worth it - I really don't show it off in this video, but even without building it up, it's pretty great. I used it almost exclusively while running the Dungeon Trials, which I completed earlier this week. I just need to do the grinding, likely this weekend, and record a couple of dungeon runs where I'll try to show off the new Folks as best I can. Meanwhile, enjoy a couple of quests that stack up a huge amount of difficulty into a short span.

Chapter 7: Keats Quests, Daytime Third Part Youtube

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I didn't know.

I didn't know there was a giant robot.

It's so beautiful.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Well those are certainly some requirements to level up Automata's Karmas alright. I hope there is a quest about its origins later (I'd wager the Endless Corridor) because it is oh so dreamy. :allears:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Dat Robot. Seeing as you have already done these videos do you ever remember to use the damage reducing folk? I imagine Ager-ager might have been useful against the Formians.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

Well those are certainly some requirements to level up Automata's Karmas alright. I hope there is a quest about its origins later (I'd wager the Endless Corridor) because it is oh so dreamy. :allears:

Unfortunately, no - Phutcampus is the only DLC Folk to get much of a backstory. I suppose one of Ellen's sort of has a story, but even then, it's just a shift from "This weird Folk shows up at the end of the quest and you take it with you" to "Here is a Folk and this is why you should take it with you." And I don't think Maximillian really got either of those, since it wasn't a quest reward to begin with.

And Automata isn't even the hardest Folk to build up - since there's a neverending room of Poukes in the very quest where you get it, it takes no time to grind that karma out, and if you do that, I think you can get 50 Purple Dusts as a reward for the quest. Granted, that's not the way I did either... :shepicide:

cokerpilot posted:

Seeing as you have already done these videos do you ever remember to use the damage reducing folk? I imagine Ager-ager might have been useful against the Formians.

I'm not sure how much it would have helped, especially after that first hit and seeing how much damage it did, but I do use it in some areas later on, particularly when fighting Folks that I know are going to do a lot of damage. Usually, I try to stick to dodging and guarding, since the MC I would use for Agar-Agar means another pause in my ability to attack, but I eventually started using it against that Gladiolus that comes with three Telanthera because there was no way to avoid being hit consistently.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love how done Keats sounded when he realized what needed to be done at the end of that second quest.

"Gaddamnit I just wanna write stories on supernatural phenomenon, not help people with their mental and emotional well-being!" :bahgawd:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's a few hours early, but here's this week's video. Since we're done with all of Keats' quests for daytime, I'm switching to Ellen for this video - it's a shorter trip than running to the grotto to switch to nighttime, and doing the quests in this order makes more sense overall. Ellen's first quest is, of course, the in-game conclusion to Dark Impulse, the quest delving into Suzette's motivations for murder and, hopefully, her recovery. There's not much gameplay to speak of in this one, since it focuses on the story, so I think I'll just let the video and the quest speak for themselves.

Chapter 7: Ellen Quests, Daytime First Part Youtube

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Nidoking posted:

It's a few hours early, but here's this week's video. Since we're done with all of Keats' quests for daytime, I'm switching to Ellen for this video - it's a shorter trip than running to the grotto to switch to nighttime, and doing the quests in this order makes more sense overall. Ellen's first quest is, of course, the in-game conclusion to Dark Impulse, the quest delving into Suzette's motivations for murder and, hopefully, her recovery. There's not much gameplay to speak of in this one, since it focuses on the story, so I think I'll just let the video and the quest speak for themselves.

Chapter 7: Ellen Quests, Daytime First Part Youtube

CURSE YOU FIEND. Was just going to bed.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

CURSE YOU FIEND. Was just going to bed.

It'll still be here in the morning. I won't, which is why I posted it tonight.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
As a former runner, Ellen's running animation drives me nuts! Her shoulders move way too much, and just waste energy that could be better used for speed or endurance.

Also, Suzette is an example of a classic tragic heroine - she knows what she's doing is wrong, but she cannot help but go through with the murders.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're one-fourth of the way done with the quest videos, and today, we get to do something a little special. We're going to revisit an event from one of the in-game quests and resolve something that may have been left a bit open-ended. It's one of those cases where you could consider the original resolution a resolution, but it's easy enough to say it wasn't and that it needs to be handled further. In any case, it's a pretty neat idea, and not the last time we'll be seeing a follow-up to a previous quest.

Chapter 7: Ellen Quests, Daytime Second Part Youtube

Now, if you'll all excuse me, there's a new [MODE] video and I just learned that I need to replay the entire story mode of Hyrule Warriors to get all of the rewards, so I have a busy day ahead of me.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
So Halflives can bring humans into the Netherworld and summon Folks too? They certainly sound like Messenger material, if you ask me. Also, why is the singular form of Halflives just "Halflive" instead of the more reasonable "Halflife"? Probably best to chalk that up as another translation quirk.

It does look like a fun quest, and I'm glad to see that rat again - it's been a long time since he last showed up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Daigerus posted:

So Halflives can bring humans into the Netherworld and summon Folks too? They certainly sound like Messenger material, if you ask me.

Unfortunately, Halflives aren't nearly as effective as humans at talking to the living, which is an important half of the Messenger role.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you for LPing this, I'm enjoying the chance to see a game I wanted but never had the console for.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Fir Darrig is an okay guy.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Fir Darrig was amazing :allears:

Just drags a guy into mortal peril to ensure he'll stop pokin' around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It makes me wonder if the Half-Lives actually die when they're killed, or if they just float around for a bit and then reform. That'd definitely give them a reason to be cavalier with mortal lives.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're almost done with daytime quests, but between me and victory stands... Faery Photo (1). You may remember back when I was recording these videos and I mentioned that there was one I couldn't figure out how to beat. Well, here it is, and it's not only the first part of a two-part quest, which is itself the follow-up to an earlier set of quests, but it's also the quest that gives you a unique upgrade item, so you can't really afford to skip it. Fortunately, we have the Internet and its wealth of information, and a hint that told me the obvious thing I was missing. It's a useful tip for many situations in this game, actually, so I hope this episode is as informative for most of you as it was for me. It also introduces a brand-new character (at least, as far as I can tell, there's no other mention of her anywhere in the game) and gives us a bit of a "where are they now" for an old friend.

Chapter 7: Ellen Quests, Daytime Third Part Youtube

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I did enjoy the "color fading" effect while going through that sped-up montage, and I would have thought the solution would involve freezing the Folks, but then I remember that only Keats could do that. Still, it was hilarious to see those birds in the fourth room clearly unable to pass through a tiny ledge and breaking their AI like that.

And so many typos in that quest - I think I saw a word repeated twice in two different conversations because the word appeared at the end of one line and also at the start of the next line.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So the trick to the quest is in glitching the AI, which results in watching flying enemies being unable to fly over a few rocks. I'm going to assume they didn't bother playtesting this quest. Because jeez, what an awful gimmick.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

So the trick to the quest is in glitching the AI, which results in watching flying enemies being unable to fly over a few rocks. I'm going to assume they didn't bother playtesting this quest. Because jeez, what an awful gimmick.

It works outside of the quest, too - I've used it at least once that I can remember, in the Ga-Boi room in Warcadia, to attack the enemies from above with Gargantua while they couldn't reach me. It's a useful and important technique that just didn't occur to me while I was trying to figure out the quest on my own.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're almost halfway done with the marathon of quests, but today's video marks the final daytime quest in the game, and we may have saved the best for last. This quest is one of my favorites in concept if not execution, because for the first time in a quest, Ellen and Keats will be working together to solve the mystery. It revolves around Charlotte, too, which always serves to add a bit of interest to the proceedings. I think it drags on a bit longer than it should, but there's no part of it that's really awful, so it should be an enjoyable experience all around.

Chapter 7: Ellen Quests, Daytime Fourth Part Youtube

Next time, we move on to nighttime and the rest of the Folks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

All I could think of is that she must really miss Gam and Gee.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

All I could think of is that she must really miss Gam and Gee.

Pretty much, Gam & Gee are basically the first important people she's lost in her life.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Pretty much, Gam & Gee are basically the first important people she's lost in her life.

That we know of - she seemed pretty sad about some of the earlier deaths (particularly Dr. Lester), and who knows what her life was like before she even came to Doolin?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nidoking posted:

That we know of - she seemed pretty sad about some of the earlier deaths (particularly Dr. Lester), and who knows what her life was like before she even came to Doolin?

It's easy to say that death in general upsets her cause she's young but we don't know how well she even knew the deceased prior to their deaths as the only one she's had any notable contact with is Dr. Lester since he was the village doctor.

Gam and Gee are the only characters besides Ellen and Keats that she is shown to be considerably close to. It's like comparing the death of a neighbor you've talked to occasionally with the death of your closest friend: Both are upsetting but the latter has a much stronger impact because the interpersonal relationship is stronger.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 2, 2014

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
In regards to the weird mystery of Dr. Lester, I was thinking that it might have been a translation goof and that the Pub Landlord (it's kind of weird that he's the only character to not get an actual name) was meant to be talking about Mrs. Lester instead. I mean, they both have the same surname, and being the wife of a doctor must have at least given her some exposure to some medical common sense.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Halfway done, and halfway left to go. The first half of our quest marathon ends as the nighttime quests begin, and in celebration, this video features two of the remaining Folks. At least one of them is pretty good. The two quests involved aren't particularly noteworthy, although I expect that the in-game one can be repeated for a prize of Green Quartz. Still, this may be the most Gladiolus I'll ever see in one place.

Chapter 7: Ellen Quests, Nighttime First Part Youtube

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Can someone make a gif of Bargest smacking away Grab Bag? That moment was hilarious.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Radian is one of those designs that is so out of place it is perfect. I love it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Can someone make a gif of Bargest smacking away Grab Bag? That moment was hilarious.

It's probably not the best possible quality, but here's what I've got:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After this video how many more folks need to have their karmas fully unlocked (no need to label the karma requirements)?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

After this video how many more folks need to have their karmas fully unlocked (no need to label the karma requirements)?

There are plenty... I don't have a very good count, but after all of the quests are done, there will be a grinding video for each character. I'm still waiting for the co-commentator for one of them to get a stable Internet connection so we can record the commentary, and that's the biggest thing keeping me on the slower one video per week schedule for right now. (I haven't done commentary for the final boss fight yet either, but clearly, there's no rush.) Ellen still has one more Folk to get, and all of its Karmas yet to unlock, plus the two new ones from this video - I believe I'll end up unlocking all but one of Radian's as I go, but I still need a whole bunch of Green Quartz, which will be one of the biggest parts of the grinding video. There are also the Folks from the end of the Netherworld Core for each character, which just haven't been very convenient to build up along the way, for the most part. As for Keats, you can probably imagine that most of the grinding is for Automata.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nidoking posted:

It's probably not the best possible quality, but here's what I've got:

Thank you.

I like that Bogle was kept awake by Radian as well hence why he wanted Ellen to have it. Though Radian doesn't look like anything that could be from one of the known Realms, does that mean that are others beyond the ones we've visited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

I like that Bogle was kept awake by Radian as well hence why he wanted Ellen to have it. Though Radian doesn't look like anything that could be from one of the known Realms, does that mean that are others beyond the ones we've visited?

I think it was said early on that there are as many realms as there are stars in the sky, or that the number of realms is only limited by human imagination, or something like that. We only end up going to a few of them, but I'm pretty sure that every afterlife that's ever been conceived exists somewhere in the Netherworld.

• Locked thread