Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

dis astranagant posted:

It's not just a nice touch, it makes them play completely different. All of Ellen's folk have to come out and then start doing something. Keats' folk start attacking the moment he does and in general he is much more mobile in combat.

Now that you mention it, this does create a noticeable difference. I'm just bad at noticing things. I think Ellen may have an advantage here, though, because she's got quite a few fire-and-forget Folks, while Keats has none. I can think of a few occasions where I found a rather sound strategy of having Ellen summon a Folk with an extended, wide-area attack, then hack away at the stun-locked enemies with another Folk or two. (Status effects are another aspect of the game I never bothered to use until it was required, although I intend to experiment with them for the LP.) I always noticed that each Folk performed rather differently for each character, even when both characters used the same Folk, but I hadn't really put together that every extended effect belonged to Ellen until just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I'm gonna go with Keats. He get results and that cool transcension thing which we've yet to see. Not only that he has an immediate goal to take care of while Ellen has nothing to follow up on at the moment, you don't solve cases by not following up on your only lead.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I'd go with Keats. At least he has a somewhat clear objective.

Also that trench coat.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I was going to call it for Keats this morning, but it seemed unfair to close voting after such a short period. Then Keats got two more votes. At this point, for Ellen to even make a respectable showing by comparison would require an unprecedented level of interest for one of my threads, all of it unanimously pro-Ellen. Since I don't see that happening, VOTING IS OVER and our first Chapter 1 videos will focus on Keats. I had a feeling this would be the direction we'd go, but not enough of a feeling to record the videos in advance. I hope I can find the time this weekend, since I'll probably be doing one video at a time now instead of four at once. I also don't remember whether quests are even available until I've completed the chapter, so the quest videos for chapter 1 may just be a little bit of grinding. I'll find out soon enough.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
I'm replaying the game right now and at least Ellen gets a quest during Chapter 1, so you'll probably have one also.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Amazing, I didn't notice when I played that Keats asks 'Forks?' there. All I can imagine is Keats just being confused for a bit about being attacked by forks.

I did like the playstyle of Keats a bit more than Ellen, though.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

The Thread Voted posted:

KEATS!

Welp. I guess I didn't need to put in a vote for Keats seeing as everyone else did so. And I'm alright if we end up with doing all of Keats till Nidoking's forced stopping point and then do all of Ellen's.

Though I don't see that happening.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ben Kasack posted:

Welp. I guess I didn't need to put in a vote for Keats seeing as everyone else did so. And I'm alright if we end up with doing all of Keats till Nidoking's forced stopping point and then do all of Ellen's.

Though I don't see that happening.

It's not my forced stopping point. The game won't let you play past chapter 5 until you've reached that point with both characters. Chapter 6 begins the endgame, although it still goes on for a while, and I'll take over making the decisions at that point for reasons that will be obvious when we get there.

Also, this is the way my brother played the game when I watched bits and pieces of it and decided I needed a PS3 of my own so I could play the game. (And also that shiny new Ratchet & Clank that I'd convinced myself I could do without because I wasn't paying $600 for a new system, especially since I'd only recently bought a 360 for Dead Rising and a Wii because... Nintendo.) I don't think he even did Ellen's prologue. He just plowed through the whole story as Keats until he realized he was going to have to do it again as Ellen. I think he stopped playing at that point and has probably never actually finished the game. When I played, I played through each chapter with both characters, although I forget which character I used first each time. It might not have been the same character - I could swear I was using Ellen first each time, but when I gave up the second time through chapter 5, I think I was playing as Ellen then. (It was probably a matter of wanting to grind a few of the late-game Folks, which I'll discuss at some length later in the LP, including why it's so frustrating to do.) That's why I listed those two specific options in the OP. However, the thread will be the ultimate decider and I don't want to attempt to influence the choices.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I played the prologues and first chapters with both then did nothing but Keats til it forced me to pick up Ellen again. Her playstyle never really clicked with me but I stuck with it til the end.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Nidoking posted:

It's not my forced stopping point. The game won't let you play past chapter 5 until you've reached that point with both characters. Chapter 6 begins the endgame, although it still goes on for a while, and I'll take over making the decisions at that point for reasons that will be obvious when we get there.

Ah, see I thought you were forcing us to stop there, not the game. I may have simply misread what you posted. I apologize.

e: Re-read the OP and yes, I must have either glanced over the line and filled in the blanks or misread it as you clearly state the game forced you to play catch-up.

Ben Kasack fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 17, 2013

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
If I could make one small request, please don't wait five seconds after the dialogue-box fills before moving to the next one, the text already moves slow enough to read comfortably.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

macfam posted:

If I could make one small request, please don't wait five seconds after the dialogue-box fills before moving to the next one, the text already moves slow enough to read comfortably.

Yeah, this came up in the Sandcastle and I'll try to speed up the pace as I record the actual chapters. Just following the standard text guidance, but I'm used to working with text that appears all at once.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bit of a progress report: I recorded the entirety of Keats' chapter 1 just now. Most of it went pretty smoothly, except the time I accidentally went into the Folklore's room when I didn't mean to. (And a bit of a sidetrip looking for an Ogma that I didn't find because I forgot one of the fundamentals of enemy placement. I plan to trim that out.) The quest and grinding raw video is over an hour, though, so I'm going to have to edit that down to highlights. I don't think anyone wants to watch me spend twenty minutes rolling a pillbug at enemies, even with guest commentary. I'll probably just keep the parts where ordinary enemies nearly killed me.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Belgae is the first Invisible Man I've seen who isn't crazy or a rapist. He's also the classiest. This whole game has style in spades, really.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Actually I noticed in the videos that you can see the inside of Belgae's coat. Meaning he's not wearing any pants. :gonk:

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~
four videos in and I wonder why I skipped this title, then I remember I heard someone say the gameplay sucked and the plot was bad. I need to stop listening to people.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Terashell posted:

four videos in and I wonder why I skipped this title, then I remember I heard someone say the gameplay sucked and the plot was bad. I need to stop listening to people.

I think the problem is that what you've seen covers about 70% of the total gameplay - yet to be introduced are attack elements and their uses, the Transcension, and Ellen's unique ability. Then it's just bigger and tougher Folks with different attack styles you can take advantage of. There's very little to distinguish Chapter 5 gameplay from Chapter 2 gameplay, in the end. It's not bad, but I'm not sure it's enough to sustain a game as long as this one is. The plot has its intrigue, but I think it would be easy to avoid becoming invested in it, and treat the Doolin segments as just something you have to do to get to more game, if you're used to faster-paced games that dump a bunch of cutscenes at you and then let you kill things for a while.

Some of the quests may turn out to be the most interesting parts of the Netherworld portion of the game - I'd forgotten about some of the creative conditions the DLC quests throw at you, and I only got to play one for this chapter.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Buried alive posted:

^^^ Actually I noticed in the videos that you can see the inside of Belgae's coat. Meaning he's not wearing any pants. :gonk:
What, an invisible man can't wear shorts?

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
It's okay, Nidoking, I've played through Chapter 1 with both characters. You can post the update now.

Really, though, thanks for pointing out this game. It's pretty darned cool. As for wanting to rush through the plot sections ot get to the gameplay, I'm actually kind of the opposite. I find myself being tempted to not grind out the karmas for all available Folks just so I can move on and find out more of just what the hell happened 17 years ago. I want to know, dammit!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Golden_Zucchini posted:

It's okay, Nidoking, I've played through Chapter 1 with both characters. You can post the update now.

Really? You mean it? Wow, thanks! I was waiting for permission to post my next video! Actually, I only just got it uploaded, so it's probably still processing, and I can't get the Polsy site to refresh to the larger picture. I'm sure it'll catch up soon enough. I admit that the pace will be slower for the rest of the LP than the prologue was, because I can only work so far ahead. I'm also trying to get the quest video(s) edited ahead of time so there's not a huge gap. I'm probably going to do solo commentary for the in-game quest, because it's a bit too important to have distracting guest commentary over, and invite Red Rover to join me in talking over the DLC quest and subsequent grinding session.

This time, I think it makes more sense to do Keats first for Chapter 1, since the start of Ellen's chapter picks up from near the end of Keats', story-wise. However, somehow, I believe Ellen gets to the end of the chapter first. Time doesn't really make a whole lot of sense in this game, but it doesn't matter. In this chapter, we meet a good portion of the human population of Doolin and essentially get a brief introduction to how collecting Mementos and opening Netherworld Doors works. Obviously, I spend plenty of time off the beaten path, talking to the people who are at best unhelpful and at worst downright rude.

There's also a new Halflive to meet in the evening, and one of my favorite things about the game... Picture Book Pages!

Keats - Chapter 1 Investigation Youtube

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.
I didn't mean to come across as a dick about it. Whatever works for you is best, obviously. At least I have the game itself to hold me between updates.

So far I'm kind of surprised by how short the Investigation segments are. Presumably they'll become more involved in later chapters?

Also, would I be missing anything major by not getting the DLC? I'll need to get a router to hook my PS3 up to the internet eventually anyway, but I may do it sooner if it's worth it here.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I didn't mean to come across as a dick about it. Whatever works for you is best, obviously. At least I have the game itself to hold me between updates.

So far I'm kind of surprised by how short the Investigation segments are. Presumably they'll become more involved in later chapters?

Also, would I be missing anything major by not getting the DLC? I'll need to get a router to hook my PS3 up to the internet eventually anyway, but I may do it sooner if it's worth it here.

Nah, not like a dick at all. It was just a rather funny post to see as I was waiting for Youtube to finish processing the video and I thought I'd have some fun with the update as a result. I do that in every LP I post if the opportunity is handed to me like that. I'm also aware that this LP is likely to be slower than my usual, which is already slow.

I believe the investigations become more involved later on, as we get leads that require talking to more people. I don't know whether they'll get much longer, but the game doesn't start by telling us what the memento is and where to find it in later chapters. Sometimes, I think we'll even have to do some digging to figure out which dead person we want to talk to in the Netherworld.

As for the DLC, it's not vital. You'll get quite a full experience from just the game. I'm saving the default DLC Folks for later chapters (not really sure why, though - it's not as if most of them are useful for sequence-breaking or anything), but there are a few interesting Folks you can get from the DLC quests, including a few that are really overpowered. And if you like playing dress-up, you can always use some of the downloadable costumes, although they never published all of them. Those, too, I'm saving for a bit later in the LP. I assume I'll still be doing this in December, when the Christmas outfits will be appropriate. The DLC quests themselves are mostly just interesting challenges based on the existing gameplay - one that I remember because I was never able to beat it involves having to fight using only the most recent Folk you've captured, while the one available in this chapter is a timed brawl where capturing Folks adds or subtracts time. They're sold in packs that make it cheap enough to be worth the cost, and there are always the free packs that you might as well download.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I really like the music in this game. It has a similar feel to the music that was in Rule of Rose.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gotta love Keats going :ssj: when he transforms

HULK SMASH

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Not surprised you mentioned Final Fantasy, since the Folks in this game sound a lot like the fiends in FFX. Also, Keats is treated almost like a new game + option, especially with the story recap when he's chosen.

Folklore was one of the early demos on PSN, but it didn't really have any other marketing other than some generally positive reviews. Don't forget that this was when the PS3 was still incredibly expensive, and the only "visible" games were Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and Call of Duty 3. Grand Turismo 5 Prologue didn't come out for another year.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Strangely enough, I actually found my copy of Folklore while cleaning up recently. If only I knew someone who had a PS3, I'd be set! :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

PRL412 posted:

Also, Keats is treated almost like a new game + option, especially with the story recap when he's chosen.

I'm pretty sure Ellen gets the same recap if you choose her prologue second. Remember, I could have played through chapter 5 as Ellen without ever playing Keats' prologue. I chose to do both prologues first, and in the order presented, to give the thread some content before waiting for votes, and a bit more basis to vote on. There are some New Game +ish elements that are unlocked at the start of the game if you bought DLC, but I'm ignoring those for now. I think the Dungeon mode rewards work the same way, and I haven't even decided how to do those, if I do them at all. I don't know whether the servers still exist.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There's nothing better after a week of trying to improve the quality of a video than giving up, ceasing to care, and redoing the whole thing in half a day. At least, this is what I'm going to tell myself from now on. It's time to get into some real combat, which tends to become more interesting as my arsenal increases. For now, I can't offer much variety, but at least I can offer Transcension.

That's not Transcension, of course. There has to be some incentive to watch the video and see for yourself.

Keats - Chapter 1 Combat First Half Youtube

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Does the extra experience from collecting multiple red ids help level the pokeman as well? Or just you and you HP/MP/etc?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Does the extra experience from collecting multiple red ids help level the pokeman as well? Or just you and you HP/MP/etc?

It's just extra EXP - the number of ids you have to absorb to release a Karma doesn't change. And as far as I can tell, MC never increases as a result of a rank up - just the HP and possibly the speed at which you can capture Folks like Andraste.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
I'm not sure, but I think that the multiple id capture also can increase the rate of gaining transcension. Hard to tell though, since you'd have to know how much each would give separately. So, at least with Keats there is some point to it. Unless you never use transcension, then it doesn't really matter.

EXP and leveling is really not something you notice really. It's mostly about grinding for Karma. Usually those are get more Ids from the same type, or use a bunch of items. Some are more annoying, such as Andraste's destroy X Folk ones. Annoying since it takes more time to actually destroy a Folk than it does to just weaken them and grab their Ids.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.
Andraste can be good if you've got a lot of Folk in a small space. It seems to knock them back, so if you've got a bottleneck you just stand at one end and spam Andraste and they won't be able to get near you. Alternatively, in places like the last fighting room in the video you can just kite them around until they're all clumped together. plus, it can hit multiple times. Still fairly situational, though.

Oh, and your aiming issues can be solved by pressing L2 once. That will lock you onto the nearest Folk. If you want to hit a group, just target one Folk then maneuver around until you've got a bunch of others between you and your target.

Do you know how high the multipliers for catching multiple Ids go? I got up to x3.0 once for eight (I think) at once, one time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Vyxzuw posted:

Annoying since it takes more time to actually destroy a Folk than it does to just weaken them and grab their Ids.

Like I think I said in this video, and I'm almost certainly going to try to say in the next one (my comment was phrased a bit awkwardly in the first take and I don't think I came across very well, but I may be redoing the entire commentary), destroying Folks is necessary sometimes because anything that's not a simple flick to capture has to be done when it's alone - it's nearly impossible to capture a Folk like Andraste, for example, if there's another Folk in the room that can attack you. Being attacked breaks the psychic thread and resets the capture meter, so you need to capture or destroy every other Folk before targeting the one you want to capture. In rooms with multiple Folks that require complex methods to capture, that generally means destroying all but one of them. It's really annoying in chapter 5, where you need to capture lots of Ids from a Folk that only appears in a group, in a room that you can't freely enter or exit. I don't think I ever bothered with building those up in my actual playthrough - by that time, I had enough other Folks to get by. This also comes into play against the first miniboss in chapter 3, which splits unless you fight it just right. (Fortunately, the picture book tells you what to do, if you find the right page.) That would be a great way to get more Ids if you could capture more than one of them at a time.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Andraste can be good if you've got a lot of Folk in a small space. It seems to knock them back, so if you've got a bottleneck you just stand at one end and spam Andraste and they won't be able to get near you. Alternatively, in places like the last fighting room in the video you can just kite them around until they're all clumped together. plus, it can hit multiple times. Still fairly situational, though.

Andraste can't really be spammed, though. It takes a lot of MC and requires a bit of charge time to get the full effect, plus it can't be used again until it vanishes. I use it occasionally, but there's another Destroy element Folk coming up that's a lot easier to use. There's a very good reason that I had to go through this video several times to remember Andraste's name after the actual fight had ended - I almost never actually use it.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Oh, and your aiming issues can be solved by pressing L2 once. That will lock you onto the nearest Folk. If you want to hit a group, just target one Folk then maneuver around until you've got a bunch of others between you and your target.

I use the lock-on almost all the time, as you may notice, but it can be finicky at times. Sometimes, when I'm surrounded, I'll just fire from the hip because I know I'll hit something, and usually many things. Andraste just isn't the best Folk for that - it's pretty hard to hit things with in general, as I'll demonstrate.

But L1 is lockon - L2 brings up the Folk-swapping menu. It's tricky because I keep thinking God of War and trying to block with L1, which just toggles the lock-on - I've got Killmoulis equipped to X.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Do you know how high the multipliers for catching multiple Ids go? I got up to x3.0 once for eight (I think) at once, one time.

I'm pretty sure 3 is the maximum, for six or more Folks at once.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I don't know if anyone's brought this up yet, but I'm almost certain Pouke is actually pronounced "Pooka", since that's the name of an actual Irish spirit and what have you.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Veyrall posted:

I don't know if anyone's brought this up yet, but I'm almost certain Pouke is actually pronounced "Pooka", since that's the name of an actual Irish spirit and what have you.

That's part of the planned flow of the LP. I embarrass myself for half a dozen videos mispronouncing everything Ireland could possibly be known for, and then an expert corrects me. It's not nearly as much fun if I do it right the first time.

If only one of the Folks wielded a shillelagh. I know how to pronounce THAT.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think you overemphasize costs a bit, at least for Keats. His MC recovers in full barely a second after you stop using it and mostly exists to keep you from having infinite combos with his fast attacks.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I think you overemphasize costs a bit, at least for Keats. His MC recovers in full barely a second after you stop using it and mostly exists to keep you from having infinite combos with his fast attacks.

Yes, but that's plenty of times when one attack drains so much MC that I can't do anything for that time - and if I don't wait quite long enough before using another Folk, then it doesn't refill at all. Most of the time, it's not an issue, but it's still worth paying attention to.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.
Eh, different play styles, I guess. MC recovers fast enough for my taste that I kept Andraste around for certain situations even after I got the Folk you referred to.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This video represents many things: Our first meeting with Belgae's master, our first Folks of two new elements (neither of which can destroy blue crystals, of course), a demonstration of why I'm still concerned about MC while fighting as Keats, and probably the last time I'll be mispronouncing Pouke's name over the course of the LP. (Do feel free to correct any further mispronunciations on my part - if I knew about the stories behind the Folks, I wouldn't need a special guest to tell me about them.) This video does not represent the worst of my combat style - the miniboss at the end of this one nearly kills me in a later video, which is really embarrassing because once you have a clue what you're doing, it's pretty simple to avoid its attacks.

So, as is tradition, I'll just give you the best Keats line up front.

Keats - Chapter 1 Combat Second Half Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.
Yeah, Bargest is definitely better than Andraste in almost every way, the only exception being range.

I'm actually looking forward to the grinding videos, which are (I think you said) where you're having that guest who knows a thing or two about Irish mythology. There have been a couple of things so far that I'd want to point out but I'm just not confident enough to risk looking like a complete idiot when it turns out I'm wrong.

• Locked thread