Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
:ohdear: I hope I don't screw this up..

Last week I bought a dump truck.

She's a 1973 Peterbilt 359 Narrow cab

15 foot bed, with a good PTO and a non leaking lift cylinder.

The paint is rough as hell, but it looks pretty good from about a hundred yards away, while the sun is going down. Rain and overcast helps a lot.

The rubber is good and brakes a near new and well set up. Want pics? Ehh, maybe if you ask nice, I'll have to go crawl under the truck.

There aren't any door seals, so the cab leaks air a little bit, but that's ok, because the heater is basically always on. Air conditioning? There's a fan bolted to the roof pointed at the driver.....

Not much works, but it's not too far from being road legal. It's safe, but some lights aren't exactly as you say...working?

No, I'm not kidding. None of that poo poo works. 'Only fill left tank?' wondering about that?
I put that there after the first trip to get diesel. The right side tank....isn't hooked up to anything and isn't plugged at the bottom. I found that out after putting about three gallons in there.

Jakes? nope. Not even sure the engine has them, it might be a troll. What engine you ask?
well, if you're a real Peterbilt nerd, you'll know that it's got a 855 Cummins small cam, 325 or so hp in it.

I don't have a picture of the engine right now, maybe later, i'm sure that I'll have to have the hood up soon.

Trans? I'm glad you asked, I am not sure what the hell to call it, It's a 5 speed with hi/low splitter and behind that is a 4 speed brownie. Yeah, 40 possible forward gears, but you don't use all of them.
So there's two sticks and a pull knob. Unloaded it doesn't matter, it's got enough power and low enough gears in the tandems that you don't have to split poo poo.
I start in 3rd on the back box, run the low side, split to the high and then when I hit ninth i throw the back box into fourth and then into tenth gear on the main box. That make any sense to anyone?
Loaded....i'll get back to you. When I get good at it I'll make a shifting video.

It does dump, I'll get pics with the bed up later. Along with the engine and the two stick trans.

From the markings on the truck and what's on the title and what I have seen on the truck I am pretty sure she lived her whole life up until now in the mountains. She was a workin girl big shouldered and strong backed, forty forward gears, there wasn't a grade she couldn't climb.
The painter's hand not touched her flank since 98, I bet she sure was pretty with all the purple and gold.
Double framed and strong built, she's as solid today as she was when the boys turned her loose from the factory back in april of 73.

I've already hauled a few loads with it a couple around on the ranch and two all the way to my house.

Dog is my co pilot.

I'm getting in to shooting videos and basically being a youtube noob, I'll get some dump truckin action captured and i'll put it here.

I also have skid steers and some other cool toys, here's a short dirt work movie I made. http://youtu.be/xVzlxds1pTM

What else you wanna know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. My hero. I rode in one of these as a child. Pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

So you have a high low switch aaand a second stick. Hell yes.

also. the labeling on that dash is strikingly similar to land rover.

E: what did you pay for it if you don't mind saying.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Used Sunlight sales posted:

:ohdear: I hope I don't screw this up..

Well, the terrible thread title nearly doomed you but the content has so far saved it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
How does one go about finding 30 year old dump trucks that are for sale? What's a ballpark figure for the price of one of these bad boys? What was your main reason for buying this, personal use or are you starting a side business?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What is a Passenger Whopper?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Look's like you're all set up for some massive dumps :clint:

Paging the regulars from the truckin' thread for some down and dirty tranny-talk.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 13, 2013

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

bowmore posted:

What is a Passenger Whopper?

No idea either myself, but hopefully you can have it your way.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
oRenj9, there's a place about 30 miles up the road that sells equipment, trucks, trailers and a few other things. He's got a wacky selection most times, and it's 40 years old BTW.

I paid 15022.00 with tax and drove the bitch home.

The passenger whopper is an inside joke with my family. my live-in girlfriend 's dad remarried a younger chick from Poland, and when she orders at Burger King she either gets a wiper or a seizure salad. The labels help me learn the controls.

Who the hell am I and why do I have a dump truck?
I operate a 7,000 acre cattle ranch in south central Kansas that has been in my family for over a hundred years. This is my second year of being the manager full time, my pop is stepping aside and letting me run things, I make all the decisions and he just provides a little labor.
I'll use this truck to haul sand for my roads. There's 1/3 of the ranch that is barely developed and the road network is terrible, so that's on the list to get fixed.
I have a pair of John Deere 333D track loaders with a pile of attachments, including a flip blade and a rotary tree saw.

My plan is to keep the truck two years and then pass it on. My neighbors also have some use for a dump truck so I am sure it will be loaned or traded around for work. There's a lot of work around here that's traded for beer, weed or just "i owe you one" and no one cares. Mostly I'll use the truck on the ranch or to help out friends and neighbors. The longest trip it's likely to take is 22 miles to town for diesel fuel, unless I say gently caress it and run red fuel in it, then it won't leave the ranch. I'm either putting farm tags or antique tags on it, not sure, so I don't have to have a CDL (I have one anyway) or deal with any of the DOT bullcrap and take logs. Farm use only bitches, :getin:

The answer you're looking for is, I'm using it for business, but it's my business and not for hire.

I have been looking for a dump truck for a couple months now, and a neighbor got one from his brother's dead dog's hairdresser's estate and offered it to me. I told him I would buy it, but before we could match orbits and I could give him money he decided to be a buddy fucker and sell it to someone else after he promised it to me. That's ok, I know how to hitch up to his house.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

It's like tonka trucks for grownups :downs:

This thread is cool and I like the video

edit: just noticed you have cat videos. Thread voted instant 5.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 13, 2013

bushcutter
May 13, 2009
great old truck, good comfortable truck to be in all day. If you do put it on the road, try and get the jake fixed as it will inhale brake shoes and drums without it. Takes a lot to stop/slow that lady when she's fully loaded. Much like my wife. :cheeky:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

edit: just noticed you have cat videos. Thread voted instant 5.

In cat video 3, I love the one in the corner who wants nothing to do with the other 2. He's (she's?) like umm... I'm gonna go away now, too much chance of foot to face.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I had cowboy poo poo to do this morning, and then some skid steer work that I videoed and will hack and upload later.

Comfortable to be in all day? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! It's a loving 40 year old dump truck with out a heater, a/c, working fan or door seals. The seat isn't bad though. I guess all things considered I spent most of the afternoon dump truckin, and I wasn't uncomfortable, but if my boss gave it to me to drive and expected me to drive it for a living 10+ hours a day, I'd tell him to gently caress himself.

I haven't looked at those cats vids lately, but the white one with spots is the Jr Tom, we call him 'fat lard' the fuzzy black and white cat is 'flatface' the grey fuzzy cat that hides is 'line stick box' the big orange bastard is 'Bob' and he's the Sr Tom. Those cats are funny, they follow you around like dogs. Flatface and my girlfriend's golden are buddies, we joke that Alley has a pet cat.

I needed to haul about three loads of sand to start on a road project so I can start on my tree project.

Here's the office. At least I have a nice seat, Bostrom Talledega on my side at least. I haven't looked at the passenger side, but I don't sit there, so I don't care.
The gizmo on the floor, lower right in the picture is the switch for the air locker on the tail gate. The PTO and dump control are in the middle between the seats.
Yeah, the clutch pedal is CLOSER than it looks, it's hard to jack my leg around to get to it.

15 foot bed, she's a little rusty, and that isn't likely to change. I just don't think that I'll move enough material fast enough for it to polish up.

Tail gate, with a spreader plate under it. Its nice to be able to tail board out material.

Da faq is tail boarding?
it's when you only crack your tail gate open while raising your bed and driving forward. The tail gate is held open at a distance that you choose with hold back chains.

I set my time lapse up on top of the cliff at the sand pit and shot some B roll of loading the truck, anyway, here's a picture from up there.

I have a ton of skid steer work footage that I need to hack together, I'm figuring out how to mount my gopro on my skid steer better and getting a better feel for how long the batteries last (not very fuckin long.) I Amazon primed a couple more batteries and battery charger for it, so I can film all day instead of getting hosed by batteries at lunch.

Remember how I said the truck is double framed? Yo dawg, i heard you like frame rails with your frame rails....

Here's the other side.

And that brings me back around to the engine.

Real trucks don't have intercoolers.

Fan shroud? Pfft, don't need one of those either! I actually ran her pretty hard today all things considered. It was about ninety outside, and when I was loaded I pretty much gave it hell the whole time in the top four holes and she showed no signs of overheating.

Here's a LOL, pron shot of the left side...

I parked the truck next to the little Suzuki truck I use to deliver mineral to the pasture, didn't think anything of it. Pop said something so I turned around and about died laughing.

The size difference is a little comical.

I could put the Suzuki inside the dump bed physically, but the tail gate is in the way. Until I can figure out how to deal with that, I am not even going to consider ramps.....

By request, I have made a video of me shifting that beast. Keep in mind that it's literally my third time driving the truck, and I have a total of maybe a hundred miles in the seat. I've driven other trucks though. I cut everything but the shifting, enjoy.

http://youtu.be/HrbvQLxCjLM

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
Great pictures. Outwardly, it looks to be in remarkably good condition for a forty year old vehicle that was built for hard labor, and knowing little about medium / heavy duty trucks, I wouldn't have guessed it to be that old. That transmission shifting sequence sounds like an ordeal, and I don't envy any one that has to row gears like that through steep grades or in traffic.

Entangled fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 14, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Your beard is absolutely perfect for this kind of work.

Also, Sam :3:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I can't even handle this. The beard + magical voodoo transmissions + chill-rear end dog = Awesome overload.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Maybe I can get a mod to change the title to 'Dump trucks, skid steers, epic beards and other ranchy things.'

The wind is blowing a hundred mph here today, and we've got a B day party for Smalls this evening. So I am not doing much.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Trans? I'm glad you asked, I am not sure what the hell to call it, It's a 5 speed with hi/low splitter and behind that is a 4 speed brownie. Yeah, 40 possible forward gears, but you don't use all of them.
So there's two sticks and a pull knob. Unloaded it doesn't matter, it's got enough power and low enough gears in the tandems that you don't have to split poo poo.
I start in 3rd on the back box, run the low side, split to the high and then when I hit ninth i throw the back box into fourth and then into tenth gear on the main box. That make any sense to anyone?
Loaded....i'll get back to you. When I get good at it I'll make a shifting video.

It does dump, I'll get pics with the bed up later. Along with the engine and the two stick trans.

From the markings on the truck and what's on the title and what I have seen on the truck I am pretty sure she lived her whole life up until now in the mountains. She was a workin girl big shouldered and strong backed, forty forward gears, there wasn't a grade she couldn't climb.
The painter's hand not touched her flank since 98, I bet she sure was pretty with all the purple and gold.
Double framed and strong built, she's as solid today as she was when the boys turned her loose from the factory back in april of 73.

What else you wanna know?

Do you talk like Jerry Reed in real life, too?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Going to have to say this is one of the best threads in AI in a long time. 5'd

Excited to vicariously live through your ranching escapades.

:munch:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Your beard is absolutely perfect for this kind of work.

Also, Sam :3:

Definitely need a beard life decal for the back.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Great thread, can't wait to read more. How old is that awesome dog?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
This is my favourite thread of all time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That. Is a cool damned dump truck

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The dump truck is cool but your Aussie Cattle Dog :3:

Cattle dogs are the best dogs.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

doritos posted:

Do you talk like Jerry Reed in real life, too?

Sometimes, depends on how mellow I am.

Hughmoris posted:

Great thread, can't wait to read more. How old is that awesome dog?

Awesome dog is ten, near as I can figure, eight at the youngest.

I'm pretty humbled by the response, I didn't think anyone would give a gently caress. I'm also encouraged to keep taking pics and videos.

This evening we had a BBQ, about 20 friends and family over. What I am saying is I really didn't work today other than making sure the cows are where they are supposed to be. It was a windy whore this morning, about 30 by 9am. So I went home and got poo poo ready for the party.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I'm getting 67 more cow/calf pairs on two trucks that each require a different loadout chute setup. I also have a cow move to do and a mineral hump planned. Then after lunch....I'm going to get into trucker mode and haul pop's skid steer to the house, change the oil on it and truck it over to the west pasture so i can do dirt work with it and get ready to cut trees. After i change the oil in my machine, it gets moved over to the tree project as well.

I'm excited about cutting the trees and getting some film. I think it will make some cool footage. I built a magnetic mount for my gopro yesterday that's better than anything I can find on Amazon.

Regular GoPro mount with adhesive removed

1/4 inch Neo magnets, in a grid superglued on.

And a couple coats of flex seal and we're done!

Have I found any other uses for Flex Seal? gently caress no. Ask me about boots some time.
The flex seal has pretty much flattened out. I put it there to keep from scratching up whatever I put it on.
The magnets, let's say they are ridiculously strong.

I don't think this thing will have any problems holding up a gopro.

I'm starting to get some hazy ideas of poo poo to show you guys, if there's something you wanna know, just ask.
We do our moves with utility vehicles, I ride around in a Polaris Rzr S all day for a work truck when I'm not in the skid steer or skating off elsewhere.
I've had the GoPro in it, and the stuff that I do all day that totally terrifies about anyone that rides with me in it just doesn't look all that wild on camera.
I can do a rzr ride video, but I bet it turns out boring.

Have some pics of my badass dog while I think of something else to write.

Nope. couldn't think of anything. I'm going to bed, 0600 is only like six hours away, ranch life starts early.

Might stay up and finish a youtube thing, if I do, i'll update thread.

http://youtu.be/XrGR4Lj5-y8 <-- video will be there when it's done. not sure how good it is, i think it's ok, trying out a few things, I sped up some parts instead of cutting. I think it worked out ok.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 15, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ten years ago I would be roadtripping to your farm to work a season for room and board.

Good sized farm, you got the equipment, sounds like you're short on hands. Very cool thread, and I love your big burly dump truck.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
FML. My bobcat rep is trying to sell me another piece of equipment.

I have been thinking about buying a excavator for awhile.....

It wouldn't shock me greatly if she just drops it off tomorrow, you know, for me to "Take a look at."

Here's something cool; this is a tub that had some salt in it. Oh, the miracle of evaporation and deposition.

And now for a little tease....

This bastard goes on my skid steer, that blade is 30 inches across and it has ten carbide teeth. How fast does it cut? Frickin fast, ok? How fast does the blade move? fast enough to make it cut a four inch tree like a frickin lightsaber. How about that poo poo?
The head also rotates 90 degrees. It's one of my favorite tools. I'll explain why we cut trees in a later post, probably when I start cutting them. All you fuckin tree huggin prius drivin california livin people shut the hell up, I have a good reason and I will explain it. Just not now.

Tree cutting is the next project, after a little truckin some shop time and build a road....and whatever other emergency comes up.

I try to aim for a couple big tasks every day and let the sand fill the cracks. I usually work until I feel like stopping for the day after my big rocks are done. Sometimes noon, some times dark. Today, I feel like dark.

Lunch break over, time to do some hauling.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have always wondered if Flex Seal works in any possible way. It's the only as-seen-on-TV product I've ever been compelled to purchase but every time I wonder if rubberized undercoat spray would work just as well.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Great thread. Wanna see some trees get cut. :clint:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

If I could have a job to come back to I would totally come out and work, like Jonny 290 said. It's been too long since I did honest outside work.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Just rolled in the house.

it's been a long day.

unloaded cows, humped mineral, did some work at my sand pit and finally, hauled a skid steer back to HQ.

Flex seal? Ok, I thought I had a good idea by putting some on the toes of my boots.
Lemme 'assplain, I wear steel toe boots or what amounts to slip on low cut boots. My work steel toes had leather and then plasticky rubbery toe cap over that.

That crap doesn't last, and I've had these boots for three years. They are good fuckin boots, BUT they leak water because of giant holes in the toe caps.
So I have this miracle flex seal poo poo that the manager at the hardware store wanted me to try.

so I gave my boots a few coats on the toe, I even had the rest of the boot masked off so it doesn't look like a total redneck did it.

This is what they looked like after curing for a day and me putting them on once and walking around the yard* post flex seal

left boot!

right boot!

That yellow wagon in the background? Total crap. "total rated load 880 lbs" my fuckin rear end.
Not real sure how the hell they came up with that number at the factory in bumfuckistan or whereever they made that thing. I didn't even have 400 lbs of bricks in it when the drat wheel bearings literally fell apart and out of the hub.
Bottom line, crap wagons, don't buy one. As long as I can keep repairing the one I have for cheap I can't justify buying a new one.

I've seen them and various farm and home stores, places that supply tractors and that helpful hardware place.

Flex seal is still poo poo, but it's working OK on my GoPro mag mount which got abused as gently caress today. Couple places got skinned up

I've already put another coat on it, should be curing in the setting sun right now.

I did some skid steer stuff today, I'll work on hacking together something for youtube.

*my walking idea of walking around the yard is likely to be dramatically different from what most of you are used to.

Edit: VVVVV The mineral is loose packed in bags and mixed onsite with salt 50/50. I can show you , but I didn't think anyone would give a crap. I'm working on a skid steer video that involves that salt and mineral project today.
I don't have pics, but I do have a little video, maybe I can pull a frame out of there.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 16, 2013

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
This mineral you keep talking about, you are talking about salt licks right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I know what you mean about "walking around the yard" being different from what most people are used to, I tend to destroy a set of workboots about every year to a year and a half even buying quality brands. Still trying to find one that can handle actually being used, timpros seem to be turning into wannabe working man's fashion statement apparel at this point.

That is a kickass dump truck and I too wish I could find time to head out and work a summer.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've been looking forward to this since your post in the Alternative Insanity thread, it doesn't disappoint at all.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I took a ton of footage today and haven't had much time to chop it down. I did make a quickie that I just tossed at youtubes, it's uploading right now.

Don't laugh too hard at my movie making skills, I don't have but one good camera (gopro), one time lapse camera, a four year old Nikon P&S that will record 1080p and a fairly new Samsung P&S that also does 1080p.

A couple of cheap tripods, some mag mounts and a few other mounting gizmos and that's all I film with. Most of this stuff I have done enough that I know what it looks like and what to expect. I don't think setting up cameras is going to be too hard.

After my last post I had to go back to work, I had some cows that decided to take advantage of a gate that was left open. I'm going to blame the pumper, but I forgot to check this morning, and it really lands on me at the end of the day anyway. Oh well, checkin the gate would have saved a trip out to the ranch and about 45 minutes of cowboy poo poo tonight. One of these years I'll get it all right.

So the mineral I have been talking about is a custom blended mineral that we've developed with this client over the last couple years by doing manure samples. Using the samples, you can see what the animal ate, what is used and what isn't and what the animal needs. I sample forage and manure, got to know the inputs and outputs if you want to know anything about the conversion.

This time of year with the drought, we're going with a little more potassium and zinc and dialing the salt back just a bit than we normally would.
It comes in 50 pound sacks, mostly multi layer paper plastic sandwich type bags, but some come in heavier plastic. Most generally though, 50 lbs give or take an ounce.

The feeding rate is usually 2 to 4 oz per head, per day. I'm fuckin glad I paid attention in math class and know how to do word problems because my life is math word problems.

(expected comsumption rate)*((number of cows)*(1.25 because of the small calves, they add comsumption)/(16 to turn oz to lb.)
2oz*(212*1.25)/16=lbs/day min.

it's 33lbs or so on the bottom side, 67 at most. I've seen some cows suck down 8oz a day of mineral product for a week and then not touch it for a month.

Fun part...Some paddocks they cows only stay there for 3 days. If the minimum quantity you can put out at a time is 100 lbs total salt/mineral mixed and the minimum practical quantity you put out is 300 pounds for bunk space reasons, how should you place your mineral tubs for most effectiveness? I spent a lot of time picking up half empty mineral tubs and moving them.
At least I don't have to deal with the 125 pounders this year. gently caress that ever again.

So if I put out 400lbs in one paddock that they will be in for four or five days, and 400lbs in another that they will be in for 4 days and I added another 55 critters to the herd today, when do I need to go move mineral tubs, and how much will be left in each paddock? Have fun with that one.

A couple years ago I had a client that wanted to use a cooked mineral product. it's crystallized mollasses and crap in a giant fuckin plastic tub. They weighed 125, give or take a few and were nearly impossible to load one manned, but I got 'er dun. Last year we got stuck and had to use some, but it wasn't a catastrophe. When they sent it to me, I had a machine there to unload the pallet, and I put it straight into the back of my pickup and went right out to the pasture to deliver it. The cooked stuff is weather resistant alot moreso than the loose stuff so it can live in the pasture for awhile and not degrade.

Humping mineral is hard work, but it's no harder than it has to be. I have video, it's going to get made into something someday.

My youtube thing is done, enjoy. I'm going to bed.
http://youtu.be/rQXyakyYxUQ

edit: a little more tease, I had to dig my gopro out of the dirt and sand twice. I may or may not have caused a small collapse today at the sand pit. Stay tuned for video some other day. :D
I got some great footage of the cows grazing and being turned out to pasture too.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 16, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I know what you mean about "walking around the yard" being different from what most people are used to, I tend to destroy a set of workboots about every year to a year and a half even buying quality brands. Still trying to find one that can handle actually being used, timpros seem to be turning into wannabe working man's fashion statement apparel at this point.

That is a kickass dump truck and I too wish I could find time to head out and work a summer.

I wish I could get a year and a half out of work boots.

I am lucky to get 8 months out of a pair of boots. Granite rock and steel rails are not kind on rubber soles. Or tops of boots. gently caress, boots in general. I have tried Red Wings and so on.... I found that Carolina Boots are about the best so far.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I found that Carolina Boots are about the best so far.

I was going to mention those. The last pair I bought are Carolinas and have surprisingly little wear on them for the length of time I've had them. By now I'd usually be using them for total slop work and buying another pair for regular duties. They weren't much more than Red Wings and drat they're comfortable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DOGS LOVE TRUCKS.

That yellow wagon in the background? Total crap. "total rated load 880 lbs" my fuckin rear end.
Not real sure how the hell they came up with that number at the factory in bumfuckistan or whereever they made that thing. I didn't even have 400 lbs of bricks in it when the drat wheel bearings literally fell apart and out of the hub.
Bottom line, crap wagons, don't buy one. As long as I can keep repairing the one I have for cheap I can't justify buying a new one.
We use them in a factory for carting parts around, I'd say 200lbs is more like their limit, and that's on smooth concrete.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Cow move this morning, I haven't even watched the video, but it bet it's got cool stuff in it.

Carolina boots are the shizz, that's what's normally on my feet. Or Ariats.

I set my time lapse up to watch the watering trap on the east side of the paddock for :science: because it's interesting to see how the cows move across the landscape and how they graze, when they come to water and what influences those behavior patterns. Cow psychology I suppose.

The broad strokes of the idea is that you can make the cow work for you by encouraging her to do something that she will already do, but do it where you want her to do it and make her think it's a good idea. I generally put the mineral out in a pasture as far away from the water source as I can. That way, they have to walk to get it, and they will walk a great distance to get salt and mineral. If I put out protein tubs with molasses in them? Those 267 cows and calves I have turn into a fleet of bulldozers. They will plow anything aside to get to those tubs.

Sand hill plum thicket? Put some cow candy in there, sit back and watch them destroy it. Speaking of which, that would be something to time lapse. :D

Here's an interesting picture:

First person that is even close to being able to tell me which is the better side and why wins at being one of the only other people that can see it. I won't even tell you which side is mine.

I was working on my Skid steers today, and took some pics.

Just basic maintenance, oil change today.

How much oil? 13 quarts of JD brand specific oil that you can only get at JD. (i know it's damned ole CJ-4 grade 10w-40 and it doesn't cost more.)

Now usually I am a pretty smart guy and don't pay much attention to owners manuals beyond a cursory skimming and I figured that an oil change would be no problem. Every other machine I have had there's been a drain plug on the pan.

The answer would be no. I got the filter changed, but no luck in figuring out where the oil comes out.
Then I had a thought....I could always go maybe read the manual?

Ah ha!

gently caress you and your drain plug.

Sam says hello.

the oil filter is easy to get to.

Engine bits.

more engine bits.

The area around this huge fuckoff drive sprocket must be kept clean and free of debris.

It's fairly robust, but you don't want sand dirt and grit grinding away next to your seals ALL the time, do you?

I have a decent size shop to work in, we built this shop in the fall of 2009. I did all the wiring....there's over a half mile of wire. But I will NEVER need to re-wire again unless I need something really fuckin wacky like 400hz.

Time to load up and go cut trees.

That looks nothing like a saw blade, and you're right. I have to take a blade and bucket to build roads, the grapple to move trees and then the saw will come with the other machine.

Here's the temporary staging area that I'm going to use for a while. The next move will a long half mile, to what we call 'West Pond.'

here's a little teaser before and after.

Before:

After:

According to the tags on the photos, there's seven minutes in between those pics. We're going to use that low spot to start stacking cut trees in.

If the woman decides she wants to be a oval office tonight I might do another video. Maybe a little teaser. We'll see.

The feedback is great, keep it coming. I'm in a difficult place in my head right now.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 17, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The broad strokes of the idea is that you can make the cow work for you by encouraging her to do something that she will already do, but do it where you want her to do it and make her think it's a good idea. I generally put the mineral out in a pasture as far away from the water source as I can. That way, they have to walk to get it, and they will walk a great distance to get salt and mineral. If I put out protein tubs with molasses in them? Those 267 cows and calves I have turn into a fleet of bulldozers. They will plow anything aside to get to those tubs.

Most of the roads in my town are said to have been cut by closely placed salt licks and letting the deer do the rest of the work (we're talking early 1800s). I've tried this and it works to some extent. I can imagine if you've got a bunch of somewhat constrained 1500 lb. eating machines that you can convince to walk where you want them to that this would be very effective quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I destroy boots at work and I can get a solid year and a half out of a pair of Red Wings. They're expensive but worth every penny. Get a pair with the Vibram rubber and your feet will love you for it.

I'm loving this thread. That is a drat fine dump truck. Farm and ranch work is so drat hard on people and equipment, but so rewarding. I miss doing odd jobs on the dairy farms. I do not miss being knee deep in poo poo and going home feeling like I've been kicked down a flight of stairs.

I hear "Meet the Engineer" when I read these posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgNBsCI4EA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Locked thread