Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
My dad grew up in Kansas, with his two brothers - one of whom is since passed away but the other still lives out there. You ever heard of Osborne? It's at about your latitude but at the very northern part of the state.

It sure is pretty country out there. One night we were out on some hill by my late uncle's farm, and a giant moon was rising into 180o of sky and just as the sun had set about a million coyotes started howling.

I spent the day at his neighbors cattle op, I got to see such things as:

-Two stillborn twin calves delivered with the aid of some kind of ancient, rusty metal chain winch contraption
-An elderly man use the word "twat"
-Cow poo poo so mucky you could probably sink and die in it
-The "dead pit"

And I got to attempt to drive a stick shift John Deere that was old as hell and massive. Goddamn if I couldn't figure that thing out. I don't remember if I was old enough to drive at that point.

We've got 6 acres that we keep 4 horses on and a little Kubota tractor that is a piece of poo poo out here in South Carolina. But it doesn't compare at all.

BTW, come hang out in the Recovery megathread in the Crack Head Clubhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
:siren:

Spring is upon us and that means fire season.
the first burn we were looking at was supposed to be next week, but when the forecast came out this morning, tomorrow looks like a good day to light some fire.

I thrashed in the shop all day getting fire equipment going, took some pics too. I don't have time to post them right now though, I gotta go to a meeting.

I will however try to take some pics tomorrow, I'll even try to take my gopro and see what I can get done with it. Just wanted to tease ya'll a little. :D

e: I will also try to remember to say something about yesterday's dump truck drama. :ohdear:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Try not to burn down Texas.

On the other hand.. maybe..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah uh, if you plan to burn down Texas, at least drop me a PM first. Preferably with enough lead time to GTFO. :ohdear:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yeah, include me on that warning list.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
We only burned 590 acres in Kansas yesterday. No drama, but it was a long day. I didn't get home until 9:30, back out and patrolling the fire lines at 8am.

We have another on the schedule for Wednesday if the weather cooperates.

I think things are pretty secure right now, but the wind is supposed to swap to the north and howl like a bastard in a couple hours, so I may burn up Texas yet. ;)
I'll make a couple more trips out there this afternoon and evening to check on things.

I took plenty of pics yesterday, and I haven't had a chance to look at them yet, so look for those in a couple days when I get a breather to sit down, upload them and maek poast. Couldn't find my magnetic mount for my GoPro until this morning, I didn't get much footage today, maybe something I will splice into a larger movie later.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
A chap I went to school withs' father was a fire chief up in the highlands, meaning in this case that he spent most of his time burning heather - used to be great fun sitting on the back of the quad with a drip torch, trying to outrun the flames.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
:siren:

After a really late night last night, we had a storm come through and lightning started a tree on fire on my ranch.
So there we were, on the back deck, enjoying a nice afternoon with my woman and some friends for her birthday when we got a call that the storm had started a fire. Five of us headed south within a few short seconds. You simply drop what you are doing and go. Sucks walking out on your woman's birthday party and 20 of your friends, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The storm had passed, but the wind had not come up...yet. So in the dark we ran around for a few minutes to find where the fire on the ranch was. About 30 minutes of figuring out the situation and seeing what was going on the wind hit. It built over about five minutes to steady 30 mph with gusts to 40.

The deal on my place wasn't a problem, but the 590 acres we lit up friday afternoon was. Sparks were flying 300 yards from what looked like clusters of the biggest fourth of july fountains I have ever seen. the air was full of dust, dirt and ash, it was hard to see or navigate around the fire lines. Four hours later, and a total response of five fire rigs and eight guys we had things more or less contained and secure. We had quite a few tense moments, there's nothing like dragging a fire hose through the trees in 30mph wind chasing embers and hot spots, soaking wet in very expensive nice clothes, freezing loving cold (it was 50, and the wind was out of the north) with an early spring storm providing a lightning show in the east.

Rinse and repeat for four hours. Cold, wet and in the dark. The air was so full of smoke, soot, ash dust and sparks that you could barely see to drive. All land around is black, all your references and landmarks are invisible in the dark. Depth perception gets all screwed up, your inner compass is near useless and it's real easy to drive off cliff or in a ditch or simply get lost if you get off the trail.

There was a couple times I had to get off the truck and find a path on foot. I haven't been this tired in the middle of the day in a long time.

I'm ok, and heading back out to the fire soon. All the pics I took friday are being uploaded, I'll have to make another post later (or edit this one) after I go through them again.
In the meantime, all the pics I took along with a couple short clips got tossed into the magic Google auto awesome machine and it spit out this:

http://youtu.be/Rb9xTEZ2-Ng

Enjoy, hopefully when I get back later and post pics I won't have any more to add to the story. gently caress around it's been a long four days.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
So how does a prescribed burn work? I get that burning small chunks prevents it from getting an out of control fire later, but do you have to get a permit or call the local fire department and clear it with them? Do they tell you when and how much you can burn?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Caution: Incoming wall of text and picture dump.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

So how does a prescribed burn work? I get that burning small chunks prevents it from getting an out of control fire later, but do you have to get a permit or call the local fire department and clear it with them? Do they tell you when and how much you can burn?

There's a lot of questions rolled up into one little ball there, I'll do my best to answer them all. Feel free to ask any more questions, I'll do my best to answer. I'm kind of giving this in broad strokes as an overview.

Prescribed fire is much more an art than a science, you have to know how things are going to burn, how much heat and which direction the wind is going to take the fire. Add in all the canyons, bluffs and general terrain weirdness around here and things get tricky. We generally use a ring fire technique. Before I tell how that works, I need to talk a bit about the prep work.

During the prep all hazards need to be moved or mitigated and they need to be planned for. I generally start planning a fire a year ahead of time. You reduce grazing pressure on the area you want to burn to stockpile forage, in this case to be used as fuel. The next step is to prepare your fire lines. This can entail building creek crossings, lots and lots of mowing, some dirt moving to improve access around the planned fire lines and moving high fuel load hazards (mostly trees and plum thickets) well clear of the mowed strip.

I have a 84 inch wide mower that mounts to the front of a skid steer, it's almost perfect for what I need a mower for. (I plan to make a couple posts about it, my scraper and my grader when I get a chance to take some pics and maybe shoot some video.)

Three passes with the mower is usually good enough, if there's a high fuel load 4 or 5. Trees are cut and then moved 50 yards away or piled a hundred yards away, plum thickets either get mowed or dozed out with a blade. Other than cedar trees and plum thickets it's mostly grass that we're concerned about. Yucca plants and sagebrush can also be an issue, but they are addressed on an individual basis.

There are many different techniques that can be used to light a fire like this, the way we usually do it is with the Ring fire technique. You start along the extreme downwind side or corner of the area to be burned and light with a drip torch against the fuel along the prepared fireguard. The fire burns into the wind, because that is where the fuel is. To stop the fire from creeping across the fire guard a spray rig may lay down a wet line and the torchman lights right along side the wet line.

The picture below shows the start of the burn. You should be able to pick out the fireguard, in this case a trail (that was mowed) the torchman and his drip torch. See how the flames are laying down over the black area? That indicates a back fire, as it's backing into the wind. This area was a pretty critical part because of the terrain, the fuel load south of us that we didn't want to burn and the number of trees that couldn't be or didn't get moved. We spent a lot of time here making sure this area was secure.

(click to embiggen!)

From the initial ignition point a fire line crew consisting of 2 or more spray rigs and a torchman or two, sometimes on an ATV, sometimes on foot. The fire crews work away from each other, heading to the corners from the ignition point. When the crews get to the point where they are going to be traveling more or less straight into the wind, the back fire becomes a flank fire and gets much easier to manage. At this point you pause and use your roamers and floaters to make sure the fire line is secure before proceeding. If things are running like they should both crews proceed up the flanks. 75% of your problems and time are tied up in the backfire. The flank fires go real quick, once both flank fires are lit, it's time to close the loop. Usually someone lights the head fire off of a four wheeler, the rest of us watch cedar trees explode. :) Lighting the head fire closes the ring. After the head fire is lit crews head back to the backfire side and check and make sure the fire lines are secure. Then it's time for beer and food.

The black smoke is standing green cedars burning.

White smoke is mostly grass and light fuels.

:supaburn:

The world is on fire and the sun got turned off.

Back to the fire department, it's kind of tricky with the county commissioners, the rural FD, the county clerk and the Sheriff's office. The commissioners set the rules, and ours are pretty much open with a few sensible restrictions. You file an intent to burn and a burn plan to the County clerk, RFD and Sheriff's office. The morning of, within 30 minutes prior to ignition you call and notify the Sheriffs office dispatcher on duty that you are lighting the fire according to your filed plan.
You file with the clerk because she's a busy body and like to know what's going AND you're supposed to for the official record. You file with the RFD so they have an idea of what to expect in case you call them, and where you are. You file with the dispatcher so they know what is going on, and to ignore reports of a fire in your area and to NOT dispatch or call out the RFD unless one of the listed contacts in the burn plan calls for them. (I'm almost always one of the ones listed.)

To communicate around our fire lines we use VHF business band radios. Walkies will talk a mile or two, depending on terrain, and mobiles on the trucks will talk as far as you need to (20 miles or more on a good day.) Cell phones suck, they don't always work and it takes a minute or two to get ONE person on the line. With radios you keep everyone in the loop. It's a lot easier if you have a break out or a jump to grab the mic and tell everyone about it versus calling ten different numbers and telling ten people the same thing over and over.

If there is a breakout the torches slow way down, almost stop. You have to keep them moving to control your fire, but all units except the ones directly supporting the torches roll out to where ever the breakout is and attempt to fight the fire. Depending on how bad the breakout is, or how slow the response time you might have to call the fire department, and no one likes to do that. It makes your whole crew look bad. In the last eight years burning with this core group we've never had to call for help at a fire I have been at. There have been some very very tense moments, but we generally know what we are doing.

Why do we burn? Mostly to control the cedar trees. It also have the benefit of allowing the land to regenerate and rejuvenate. The prairie ecosystem evolved with fire as a part of it, when white man settled this part of the world that was removed. Cows don't always graze uniformly, some places not at all. That represents two things, unpalatable forage and a high fuel load. You burn off the old dry lignified unpalatable grass, leaving the root structure still intact and yet to waken from winter dormancy ready to put up great big tender green shoots of grass that cows love to eat.

How much crew did we have last week? Seven brush rigs, two tankers on scene and another 4,000 gallons in reserve that could refill at 25gpm two miles away. Three UTVs, two with water, one without and three ATV's only one with water.

Here are some pics of the fire rigs.

"Red Dragon"

"Green Weenie" or just "The Weenie"

"Army Truck" I spent a lot of time on the front porch of this badass rig friday night, saturday morning and saturday night.

This rig doesn't have a cool name yet.

Finally, the one man show I call my Kubota.

Pretty serious tires. 12 ply kevlar run flat tires. They have yet to let me down.

My little Kubota will get a lot of places that bigger rigs can't. I can fight fire, light fire and patrol quickly. I have 100 feet of hose I can run out if I can't get there with the machine. two pumps, one electric at 45 psi and 3gpm and one gas driving a two side diaphragm pump at 150psi and 6gpm. I put in a series of check valves to make sure that gas pump wasn't trying to drive the electric. There's also a recirc line and a powered drain line so I can pump the tank dry instead of letting gravity take it's lazy time. I also have a winch up front and carry a short length of jerk strap. I've used it to pull logs out of the way and unstick several other UTVs and four wheelers.

The tank holds 40 gallons of water mixed with dish soap. I have holders on the back for a drip torch and places to put a 5 gallon bucket of spare torch fuel, a couple 2.5 gallon jugs full of whatever we need. Gas for small engines, Diesel sometimes for the same and a gas/diesel mix for torch fuel. I'm generally rolling with 15 gallons or so of fuel split between all those types.

I also carry a shovel and a drag mat that I can use if my hose won't reach or the situation requires a shovel. I can work out of both sides, torch or spray nozzle and drive from either side. It's a real handy rig, but it's not a primary attack unit, just support and rapid response. I'm always doing something, making sure crews aren't getting to far ahead of one another, patrolling the backfire, widening out the backfire where it needs to be widened, giving the torchmen rides, or giving them fuel. Always moving, staying busy keeping my head on a swivel and ears on the radio.

My beard is intact and Sam is ok. :) We've got another fire that we're looking at Wednesday, who wants more inferno pictures?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Why do you mix the water with dish soap?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

The Locator posted:

Why do you mix the water with dish soap?

Cheap way to make a Class A foam for firefighting. Dish soap lowers the surface tension in water, which makes it better at penetrating/wetting/soaking wildfire materials.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nice, you have some fun looking areas to burn. It's getting pretty close to burn season here, and we've got a couple regular old fields, but at least 2 woodland burns, one of which involves paddling out to an island in canoes, and then staying there overnight to catch anything rather than chopping away at stumps for hours.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Used Sunlight sales posted:

My beard is intact and Sam is ok. :) We've got another fire that we're looking at Wednesday, who wants more inferno pictures?

I am in!

I know the last time they did controlled burns near my folks place, they had a dozer in place pretty much just destroying a ring around the fire to help keep the fire contained. Do you guys do something similar or just keep the areas wet?

Also, Kubotas are the god drat poo poo. Tough little machines for the fraction of Prancing Deere TM price.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man I'd be afraid to be starting any fire with the weather and the RH the way it was last weekend, 11% relative humidity makes everything tinder dry.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Viper_3000 posted:

Cheap way to make a Class A foam for firefighting. Dish soap lowers the surface tension in water, which makes it better at penetrating/wetting/soaking wildfire materials.

Exactly. I carry a couple 20 oz soda bottles full of cheap soap, laundry or dish soap doesn't matter, it all works pretty good. Genuine class A foam works better, but it's also expensive.

Hypnolobster posted:

Nice, you have some fun looking areas to burn. It's getting pretty close to burn season here, and we've got a couple regular old fields, but at least 2 woodland burns, one of which involves paddling out to an island in canoes, and then staying there overnight to catch anything rather than chopping away at stumps for hours.

Share pics! most likely i will be camped out most of the night Wednesday and most of the day Thursday. It's hard to get any ranch work done when all you do is work on fire equipment.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am in!

I know the last time they did controlled burns near my folks place, they had a dozer in place pretty much just destroying a ring around the fire to help keep the fire contained. Do you guys do something similar or just keep the areas wet?

Also, Kubotas are the god drat poo poo. Tough little machines for the fraction of Prancing Deere TM price.

The fireguards are a combination of dozed/cleared areas and just passes with the mower. You could doze the whole thing, but that tears up a lot of ground that will eventually wash and erode away.

rscott posted:

Man I'd be afraid to be starting any fire with the weather and the RH the way it was last weekend, 11% relative humidity makes everything tinder dry.

The weather for tomorrow looks like 10-12 mph wind from the Northwest, switching through the west to southwest just before dark. The humidity is supposed to drop down in the low 20's and the temp is only in the low 60's. Should be a pretty manageable deal.

We've done fires when it was 100 degrees with less than 10% humidity. You need a lot more crew for one of those deals.

I've only been through this carb five times. Finally got it running right!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Thanks for answering all of my questions. I didn't think there was that much planning involved, but I was wrong. I'm definitely impressed that you haven't needed to call anyone out during a controlled burn. I figured that burning that many acres at once would require the fire department on site at some point. Thanks for keeping the updates flowing.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I live on about 40 acres of Georgia Piedmont and the amount of planning and execution you have to go through to keep your land usable is immense. Keep up the good work, the thread is awesome.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We're just starting our Autumn Burn program here in South Aus- Already done one last week, but the big ones are coming up soon.

We do things a bit differently since we burn scrublands and grass lands, but generally the same business, except we do hose lays... HUGE hose lays. Its always hilarious when the volunteers are getting nervous being 2 or 3 lengths of hose away from their trucks (30m lenghts) and we're trucking away 30-40-50 lengths. But thats because some of the terrain we work in is totally innacessable to vehicles.

All of that loose canvas hose,

Went down a gorge that steep.

Occasionally we use a helicopter to do ignition, This one was done with the flaming dragon, Which is a towed sled that drips Flash 21- Gellified Petrol. AKA Napalm.

Thats about 10 mins after ignition, and about 30 minutes before it turned into a bushfire because of a weather change...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Somehow it seems appropriate for Australia that dropping napalm from a helicopter is an accepted gardening technique.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Have to kill the spiders somehow, and you can't always get a rocket launcher into position.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sorry in advance for the double post.

Hi, my name is Used Sunlight Sales and I'm an Alcoholic. It's been exactly eight years since my last drink. :toot:

I know this was back in June but I just binged through your thread after getting pointed in this direction, very cool stuff. You should drop into the Addiction/Recovery thread. We've got a good bunch of regulars over there staying clean and sober and helping anyone who stumbles in looking for help.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
It never ceases to amaze me the speed at which things start happening around here when winter breaks.

I finally got all the footage from the burn on 19 March hacked together, edited and posted on youtube.

http://youtu.be/uBy1efUK0r4

Let me know what you think.

I have a crap load of pics to go through and upload, some video of my first solo flight almost two weeks ago that I need to do something with.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Thanks for keeping the updates flowing.

I'm going to try now that things are actually happening, other than me running around, taking flying lessons and generally being lazy.

SuperDucky posted:

Keep up the good work, the thread is awesome.

Thanks!

Ferremit posted:

We're just starting our Autumn Burn program here in South Aus-

Occasionally we use a helicopter to do ignition, This one was done with the flaming dragon, Which is a towed sled that drips Flash 21- Gellified Petrol. AKA Napalm.

Thats about 10 mins after ignition, and about 30 minutes before it turned into a bushfire because of a weather change...

Love the pics, I bet you could have a pretty good thread!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Somehow it seems appropriate for Australia that dropping napalm from a helicopter is an accepted gardening technique.

We had something like a couple of years ago for a late June fire that a guy did, it was awesome. Hopefully that helo will come back, the same guy is planning another one for later this year.

tomapot posted:

I know this was back in June but I just binged through your thread after getting pointed in this direction, very cool stuff. You should drop into the Addiction/Recovery thread. We've got a good bunch of regulars over there staying clean and sober and helping anyone who stumbles in looking for help.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm working my way through that thread, not the easiest thing to read through, ya know?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

I finally got all the footage from the burn on 19 March hacked together, edited and posted on youtube.

http://youtu.be/uBy1efUK0r4

Let me know what you think.
Great music choice + commentary. :)

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Gotta clear a backlog of pics before I forget what the hell they are.

Here's some of the repair work I did on my wagon with the new welder...6 weeks ago.

Reinforced steering link, trunnion bearing (where the kingpin goes) and reinforced lower link between kingpins. The wagon is upside down incase you didn't get that.

Welded and reinforced draw bar.

The other kingpin.

Back angle

By Jove, it works now. Pulls smoother, doesn't wander, the front wheels aren't toed out a inch either. Much much better.

I also have to replace the fuel rail plug on my Cummins.

The end of my ratchet is resting on the rail plug.

A total of nine bolts and you can slide the intake horn forward and get a wrench on the fuel rail plug. I was shocked at how easy it was and how little time it took me.

My g/f's step mother is a red belt in some sort of martial arts, and likes to stay in shape. She asked me to build her a pull up bar, and me being me and loving to burn metal said, yeah sure, I can whip something up in the shop real quick.

Finished product:

Sick beads on the hangers. The hangers wrap around a 4x4.

Pressing a nut into a washer, I weld the two together.

Shot of the new bearing press.

This is why I pressed nuts into washers. That's a long bolt with a T handle welded on. A plain washer on this side and the washer with the nut welded to it on the far side.

The bolts come all the way out so you can adjust the length of the chains and you can get the hangers around the 4x4's that it's made to hang on.

Chain welded to the bar. The bar is made from an old go-kart axle I had laying around. 1 3/4 inch diameter. I weld filled the keyways and then ground them to profile. I also hit the whole bar with a 60 grit flap wheel to give it a little roughness and grip. After the bar got hung, they wrapped it with grip tape.

Flat tires can kiss my rear end. I'm glad I know how to plug tires!

Ok, now the barn.
This barn was built 1913-1915, it's the largest of three barns in the area all built by the same crew in the same style. The pipe fences have been added in the last couple of years. The white building to the right is the machine shop/blacksmiths forge. It also had an engine out of a model A Ford at some point to power everything. I can recall a bandsaw, primitive lathe and a drill press being in there. Sadly, I'm not sure what happened to all that stuff, last time I was in the machine shop it was all gone. It was also locked with a different key than I had to unlock the barn itself. Within the last couple years the owner has put on a new roof, new windows, some new doors, repaired the floor in the loft and generally restored it. He also added electricity, but didn't remove the old REA wiring. All the old light fixtures are still there for the history, it's been wired with new stuff separately.

Northside, looking west. You might be able to make out where the two giant cisterns are. I can remember when those suckers were capped, I can also remember seeing some the very complicated gutter system they used to catch all the water from the roof and put it in those cisterns. Also worth mentioning is this barn lies less than a hundred yards from a small creek.

This is shot from between the machine shop and the barn. The brick structure you see had a water tank on top of it and fed the house that was located just to the right of it. I don't remember the house, but I can recall parts of the wood water tank in the early 90's.

Stalls

Looking from one stall across the central lane to the far side. That's a new door on the right.

I think the spot on the left was a granary, the one on the right was probably where the buggy was kept. The stall to the right out of frame is where they would have kept the buggy horses.

Stall door. This is just to the right of the granary.

Looking south down main street, the east (left) is where the mule team would have been kept.

Stairs going up to the loft.

The hay loft.

The draw works for the mechanized hay handling system that was installed in the barn. It's driven from a shaft that runs from the machine ship into the barn. There was also a skip system running on overhead rails below where the horses and mules were kept to haul out the waste.

North door in the loft.

Cool old jugs.

Old sign

Craftsmanship on the roof trusses.

Door latch, might have even been made on site in the blacksmiths shop.

West side of main street, looking north. Local lore according to my pops is there used to be stalls on this side for mules as well.

Some old tack hanging on the wall. I can remember going into this barn 25 or so years ago and the same stuff hanging in the same spot. I have no idea what it is though.

The exterior walls in that barn are three course brick. This was built over a hundred years ago, so everything was hauled on site by horse drawn wagons. Across a river and a creek, 2 1/2 miles one way trip to the nearest rail depot.

That's all for now, but I'm still not caught up, maybe another post later and I can get there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5RrGFBbbSY

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
InitialDave, that was pretty funny. Thanks for sharing.

Burning season is in full swing now. Part two of the burn we did on the 19th was done on the 29th. The day before we did another burn too. I have about 6 hours of footage to get through and do something with, including a ton of pics. I don't want to spoil too much, but there was a canyon full of trees that more or less exploded and had flames 50+ feet in the air. I've watched it a couple times and it's awesome.

In the meantime, enjoy this little clip.

http://youtu.be/ctu6zqF6yiE

32F (0C) cold start of my dump truck. I know that's not 'cold' but it didn't want to run and it make good film, so I'm sharing it.

Back to the grind, anyone want to come take a 'working vacation' and be my 'driver' for a couple days? :getin:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone point me to the truckin thread ? I havent been around it since powershift got banned and the thread closed.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Here you go: Photos from the road Mark 2: Now with required 30 minute breaks

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Back to the grind, anyone want to come take a 'working vacation' and be my 'driver' for a couple days? :getin:

Don't joke. I think the constant wall to wall traffic makes your job look super extra appealing. That and the idea of doing a "Prescribed burn" of certain parts of my office fills me with a more than likely unhealthy giddiness.

This is probably the wrong thread for this completely but since you have answered questions about ranching and cow things before, can you explain why this thing with the cattle rancher in Nevada is 'a thing'? I feel like I have missed something every time it comes across the news. Look forward to more dump trucking!

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
welp, part of the ranch was on fire yesterday, and not on purpose.

near 100 degrees right now, and 11% humidity and the wind is blowing about 20 from the SSW. Not many pics, but I will tell the story later. Just passing through the house to get some food and heading back out to the fire lines.

Right now my exposure is about 500 acres and a bunch of fence. Not catastrophic, but a serious bad loving deal. However, we have to make it to sundown tonight.

In other news (and this makes it slightly worse....) I got cows two days ago and yesterday. :suicide:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
At least it's supposed to finally cool off/get moister the rest of this week

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just as you start we end- Its so wet now nothing will burn without the aid of a Napalm strike, and we even tried that and it didnt work!

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I never thought .41 inches of rain would make me so happy.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

So as someone who lives next to a corn crop, what can I expect in terms of dust and pollen come harvest time?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Depends on what its being harvested for. Worst case is a combine picking it up for seed and spraying the rest of the dead standing plant out the back end and you being down wind of that.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
BigCow, 97% chance that it's going to run through a giant Combine, stripping all the grain and blowing out everything else. It's a dusty lovely thing, the back of a combine, but it only happens once a year and won't last very long. If the winds don't run in your favor, you might suffer horrid allergies for a day or three.

Take some Claritin, get a lawn chair and watch them get paid. It only happens once a year.

Watch this video and you will probably gain a new appreciation for what a combine does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q74eWEfO4Ho

So hi guys. It's been awhile. IRL kind of swept me up for a bit and I had some drama. I really didn't want to post about it and turn this into a e/n thread because I'm not like that. I got out a fresh pack of big kid underwear and loving dealt with it and moved on.

Anyway, worst drought in recorded history for my part of the world. Our normal mean rainfall (since 1895 or so) is about 20-22 inches/year. At the end of May this year, I had less than three inches when we're supposed to have about 8.5 inches. In June alone i've gotten 7.12 inches of rain, and we still have just under a week to go and there's more chances of rain in the forecast. It hasn't been over a hundred here yet, and that's pretty rare.

I got a new phone and I'm still a bit behind the tech curve and haven't figured out how to get pics out of it and to Imgur so I can post them here. I was transferring them to my computer and uploading them, but there's got to be a better way.

I have aerial pics of the whole fire, not just what was on my place. I found the GoPro that I misplaced last year, it's dirt work and tree cutting season and I want to make some more videos. I've done a little more flying, we're about to start cross countries.

Last weekend I convinced my woman that I wouldn't kill, scare or otherwise scar her physically or mentally if she took a trip with me to the sand dunes at Waynoka, OK. I spent most of the day sat doing maintenance on on my RZR S, changing the oil, cleaning all the cow manure off it, getting the 50 pounds of dirt and grass seeds out of the undertray, and putting the paddle tires on. Stuff like that.
Loaded up, got down there and rode for about three hours, packed up and came home. It was a fun day, here's a video. :)

http://youtu.be/ftqnz6vVJNE

I've also done a minor re-branding of myself across all social media. Look for RedHillsRancher on twitter and instagram. I've decided that I don't really give a crap anymore if some of you guys know my IRL name and where I live. I've got a cool life and a lot of neat projects in the cooker that I'm planning for and thinking about.

I know I am sort of all over this place in this post, sorry about that, trying to multitask. I said something earlier about how dry it had been and how much rain we have been getting. We got a rare morning storm today that dropped .97 inch of rain pretty fast. The peak rain rate was 6.62 in/hr. It's rained pretty hard here a couple times, stuff in the 4-5 in/hr range, but 6.62 is the highest rate i've had in two years since i've had my weather station.

So here's a little video I shot this morning. http://youtu.be/4IE1tqzBdkY

I've got to get back crackin, money won't make it's self.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

So here's a little video I shot this morning. http://youtu.be/4IE1tqzBdkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-uV72pQKI

I don't know about you, but I'd start checking for Oompa Loompas

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

I got a new phone and I'm still a bit behind the tech curve and haven't figured out how to get pics out of it and to Imgur so I can post them here. I was transferring them to my computer and uploading them, but there's got to be a better way.
Which Phone? This forum is full of geeks, I'm sure one of us can help. If it's a smartphone, there's a good chance there's an app for Imgur. I'm on Android and I know there's one on the Google Play market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Oh, duh. I'm using a Galaxy S5 on Verizon. I have tried a couple apps, but none are really satisfactory.

InterceptorV8 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-uV72pQKI

I don't know about you, but I'd start checking for Oompa Loompas

I did hear some strange noises coming from down stream. Just after I shot that video it really started to rain hard so I didn't go downstream, I hauled rear end back to the Kubota.

• Locked thread