Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Narrow cab Petes are so gorgeous. Awesome truck. I hope you share lots of photos and videos of everything, the gear, work being done, cow activity timelapses sound cool, work in the shop perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I hope you're going to put the cow psychology time lapse up, that sounds like it would be fun to watch.

My rich guy fantasy is to buy a bunch of land and earth-moving equipment and play in a life size sandbox all day. I have a lot of respect for a guy like you who does it for a living, but I'm glad you seem to be having at least a bit of fun doing it.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I destroy boots at work and I can get a solid year and a half out of a pair of Red Wings. They're expensive but worth every penny. Get a pair with the Vibram rubber and your feet will love you for it.

I'm loving this thread. That is a drat fine dump truck. Farm and ranch work is so drat hard on people and equipment, but so rewarding. I miss doing odd jobs on the dairy farms. I do not miss being knee deep in poo poo and going home feeling like I've been kicked down a flight of stairs.

I hear "Meet the Engineer" when I read these posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgNBsCI4EA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'll take a look at some Red Wings just because you guys said so.

You just gave me a great idea for a narration for the video that I have in the works. I hope it turns out ok.

Thanks for the feedback. I have lived here basically my whole life, or at least most of it. I'm from here, I live in the house that I grew up in as a child. I got the chance to buy it a couple years ago and didn't hesitate. I did have another life, I lived on the east coast for a while when I was in the Navy, but that isn't pertinent to this thread.

I'm giving a shot to raising 29 Guineas this year too, in addition the the garden that is in my videos. We started with 31 but two didn't make it. Honestly If I can make it through the year with 15 I will be surprised.

edit: Ought ten, there are mammoth costs and expenses. Every year it gets harder and harder too. The government doesn't make it easy at all. Our Government is taxing my way of life literally to death. And you're letting them do it, but that's not this thread either.
All of my dirt work has a purpose, there's very little fuckoffery when you burn 4 1/2 gallons of fuel per hour. when I'm cutting trees and the machine is really singing and working to beat hell, more like 6 1/2. Red diesel is about 3.40 a gallon here, clear is 3.80 I think, it's been awhile since I have been to town and looked.
Fuel ain't cheap, so I try to do get the job done as best I can as fast as I can.
I won't tell you it isn't relaxing as hell to get in that machine and just shift earth around for a couple hours. Makes me feel strong as gently caress.

steveobob, if I get around to building some of the things that I want to and have designed in my head I'll make some fab videos and shop work stuff. Do you really wanna see me do oil changes? Most poo poo I just take to the dealer or my cousins shop...lol.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 17, 2013

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Re the fence picture:

I'm going to say the right or less vibrant grassy area. As I understand it that part of the US doesn't get awhile lot of rain most years and therefore the grass needs tone tough to survive. It'll also look a little brown and yellow due to water issues. Seems like the other guy is going to have a fairly high water bill.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I'm going to bed.

I made this thing. I like it. http://youtu.be/e0oh4wNg37w

I have some ideas on how to mount my gopro to get footage that I want.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So whats the logic behind removing all the trees? more pasture in the area the trees occupied? Or are they an invasive weed species?

Theres a huge amount of research going on in Aus about the role of trees in agriculture, and things like shelterbelts and windbreaks.

Did a study as part of my uni course on shelter belts and theres now a push for increasing the number of trees in the landscape as the effects of reducing the wind velocity over crops and pasture, and the resulting improvement in growth outweighs the loss of pasture by the trees being grown.

Im genuinely curious to know whether the same approach is being taken in the US- But you guys also have different tree species to us too- Grasses wont grow under a conifer like they will under a big gum tree.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Your tree cutter blade makes me want to pick my feet up from the floor. My ankles hurt.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Awesome.

I made a :clint: :c00l: avatar for you:

Anyone rich want to buy it for him?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Used Sunlight sales posted:

steveobob, if I get around to building some of the things that I want to and have designed in my head I'll make some fab videos and shop work stuff. Do you really wanna see me do oil changes? Most poo poo I just take to the dealer or my cousins shop...lol.

Whatever you have the camera around for.I am always curious to see how horrible equipment is to work on. I'm also pretty much still a child and love the sights and sounds of work equipment doing loud smokey work stuff.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Pilsner posted:

Awesome.

I made a :clint: :c00l: avatar for you:

Anyone rich want to buy it for him?

I'm not rich but I've got 10 bucks I can spare.

Thoughts on text?

I was thinking "My walking idea of walking around the yard is likely to be dramatically different from what most of you are used to." Has a nice ring to it, or maybe some choice lyrics from Wind Beneath My Wings? Something about cow psychology also strikes my fancy.

This thread and your ranch are completely awesome. I'm up to bat with my family business too, so I can relate. Have you ever talked to a financial adviser? I had to make some pretty drastic organizational changes when I took command. The shop was in dire straights and the path we were on was completely unsustainable, and I'm just now finally starting to get ahead.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 17, 2013

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Started lovely, continued being lovely, got better, not bad now with a chance of bitch later.

Due mostly to my own stupidity, I hosed up some wiring on my saw and spent 3 hours driving around getting the right pins to fix it.

These loving pins. They cost about .12 cents each, but when you don't have one.....

Stuffed in the block

mostly assembled.

My badass wiring notes.

the other end of my wiring clusterfuck

Getting there.

Orange with white stripe to red, black to black, blue to green and green to purple. Got it?

Let's go kill some trees! But first, LUNCH!

Warfighter approved warfighter reccommended warfighter designed for warfighters fighting wars in warzones yo.

The track holds the FRH at just the right angle.

I ended up eating everything else waiting for the FRH to do it's thing and heat the meal...and I was full by the time it was hot. Oh well. It kept nice for an afternoon snack.

I loving destroyed trees this afternoon.

Here's a little spot I worked on for a few minutes.

after:

Here's that low spot that I cleaned out yesterday. My pop comes out and works with me when I have projects like this. It's nice to have him around...sometimes.

Another Before:

after:

Teef!

Even though it's Friday, tomorrow is still a work day. Parts run first thing and it goes from there. It's been a long week and my woman and I are not getting along and it's starting to get to me, but this isn't that thread. I really didn't want to do any youtubery tonight, but are I saw a little of the footage I shot today, I had to hack something together real fast. It's that cool.

http://youtu.be/IAPF7SuIZac

That's probably all you get, I wanna do something else with my world tonight.

Edit: gotta amazon prime some more GoPro mounts, SAW CAM didn't do what I wanted it to, but it's still a kick rear end shot. Next I'll do a boom cam, set the camera further back on the boom to keep it out of the brush a little more.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 18, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I used to dip Copenhagen, and it made me feel good too :(

Cool thread dude :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DrPain posted:

I'm not rich but I've got 10 bucks I can spare.

Thoughts on text?

Too late. :smuggo:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Thanks for the avatar you awesome bastards. I love it. :)

I might not be here tomorrow.
I'm right on the north end of the darkest color.

Square in the middle of this fucker.

In the second worst part of this one.

Here's part of my 8 mile drive to work. This is my neighbor's place and he's a pretty good operator. He cut those trees about 6-8 months ago.

Everything is ultra green this time of year, but it won't last. A year ago at this time it was a hundred or so.

Cows in sea of green

Here's a panorama I shot with my phone that I have no clue how to share properly.

Any suggestions? it's a full 360 shot. I did another one, but I must have hosed it up. oh well, it would have been a cool picture.

I deduced the transmission combo on my Pete, it's an Fuller super 10 with a single over Brownie 4 speed. I can't seem to find any published shift order or the gear ratios, can anyone help?

E: the weather is already starting to get really intense.

national Weather service posted:

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT

STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS CENTRAL AND
PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST KANSAS LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING AHEAD
OF AN ADVANCING DRYLINE. TENNIS TO BASEBALL SIZE HAIL WILL BE
POSSIBLE WITH THE STRONGEST STORMS ALONG WITH DAMAGING WINDS. THE
THREAT FOR TORNADOES INCREASES TOWARD SUNSET AS LOW LEVEL SHEAR
INCREASES SIGNIFICANTLY. AN ISOLATED LONG-LIVED TORNADO WILL BE
POSSIBLE WITH THE STRONGEST SUPERCELL STORM DURING THE MID TO LATE
EVENING HOURS.

A RED FLAG WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS OF EXTREME SOUTHWEST
KANSAS THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING. PLEASE SEE THE LATEST
FIRE WEATHER MESSAGE FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS.

We're in Torcon 6 which as far as I know hasn't been issued before. I thought the scale only went to five. Don't worry, if a tornado comes this way I will get good pics.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 18, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I might not be here tomorrow.
I'm right on the north end of the darkest color.

We're in Torcon 6 which as far as I know hasn't been issued before. I thought the scale only went to five. Don't worry, if a tornado comes this way I will get good pics.

Good luck dude, hope it all misses and you don't have damage and losses to deal with.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Annnnnd now we're under a tornado watch. Fantastic.

Oh hey, I have heard tell of one on the ground about 100 miles from here.
The line is moving this way, sky is still clear, but there's a lot of energy in the air. Last year I had two rotating wall clouds buzz my house at low altitude, and a rope tornado dropped out of a third one that missed me....by about a mile, literally.

That's pretty fuckin close if you ask me.

edit: from my twitter feed; Public reporting golf ball sized hail 4:13pm 4 miles SW of Utica in Ness county
That's a long ways away.

check out chasertv.com

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 18, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had a tornado (a weak one, though) miss me by less than a mile in 2010 - on the same day my lease was up on my apartment, while I was moving the last truckload of my belongings into my completely uninsured fixer-upper house. That was more of a scare than I ever wanted, especially living in Massachusetts, where we aren't supposed to fuckin' GET tornados.

Hang in there and try to not get hit.

What model brownie box? IIRC that's just a generic term for an auxiliary transmission, there's probably a tag on it somewhere or other with a model number / manufacturer name. If you're lucky, it's under a half inch thick layer of road grime and congealed grease, so it'll be easy to read once you wipe it off.

e: as for the Fuller 10 speed, check on here for your trans model number. http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/2011/Eaton_Fuller/Transmissions/eaton_10speed_trans.htm

The closest I can find on that page to a Super 10 is a Super 10 top 2, here's the ratio list for those: http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/2011/Eaton_Fuller/Transmissions/eaton_10speed_trans.htm#RTLO-11610B-T2

And the list for the ones with the same model numbers, but no "T2" suffix, which I think implies it's just the regular Super 10s (same ratios, not sure what the difference is)
http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/2011/Eaton_Fuller/Transmissions/eaton_10speed_trans.htm#RTLO-11610B

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 18, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TOR:CON goes all the way up to 10. :science:

Personally, I'm a fan of NOAA's Storm Prediction Center, they have a lot of fantastic info on there.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

My grandparents ran a trucking company and the first vehicle I drove was a dump truck. Which I stalled a million times, but it was one of the most enjoyable vehicular experiences I've ever had.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

I deduced the transmission combo on my Pete, it's an Fuller super 10 with a single over Brownie 4 speed. I can't seem to find any published shift order or the gear ratios, can anyone help?

You sure it's a super 10? Anyway it sounds like it is someone's lego build, which is cool. My guess is you only use the brownie for starting heavy and then stick it in direct until you are in the big hole then put it in OD.

Might give you an idea, but I'd be careful as you could have doubled up gear ratios somewhere.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
The last time I drive it is when I made the shifting video. I think I ran up the low side in second on the brownie, got to the high hole and went to direct before I ran the high side. I'm just wondering if I am splitting the top two holes right. If it's not a super ten, it's still a ten speed that is a poo poo load easiser to stir around than the Rockwell RM 10 that's in my dad's Freightliner.

There's a factory shift pattern data plate above the driver's visor but it's badly worn and faded. I'll try to get a pic of it next time I am out there. It shows both transmissions, so I think it's factory.

I watch the SPC convective indexes daily this time of year. I live and die by the weather a lot more than you realize. I have a Wx station at my house, one on the ranch because it's seven miles away and conditions can be vastly different. A half inch of rain can mean several days of grazing.

The light show last night was awesome, and then again about 2:30 this morning it hit again. I laid awake in bed for awhile and just watched the sky flash and listened to the thunder and rain on the roof.
I'm always happy when it rains, it means I get to stay in business a little longer.

Three trips to mecca this week, they gave me a hat.
Don't ask what this one cost. I know a guy that bought an optioned out hat at about 285K and he got a free combine.

As usual, Dog is my co-pilot.

I had 1.29 inches of rain at my house, and there was 2.16 at the ranch. I'l have to go ride the pasture as soon as the mud dries a bit and see if any got zapped by lightning this morning or last night.

This pic didn't turn out like I wished it would have. The clouds were a lot cooler in person.

Sup dog?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The last time I drive it is when I made the shifting video. I think I ran up the low side in second on the brownie, got to the high hole and went to direct before I ran the high side. I'm just wondering if I am splitting the top two holes right. If it's not a super ten, it's still a ten speed that is a poo poo load easiser to stir around than the Rockwell RM 10 that's in my dad's Freightliner.

So do you shift it like a 5 speed with a 2 speed rear end? The main box. Because that's what a super 10 shifts like, or do you dogleg into 6th only splitting the main box once before you go on the high side?

I'm guessing it might feel more like this:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hopefully it doesn't have the goofy pattern with 4th/5th switched like a deuce or RTO/RTLO (I think) series EF, that confuses the hell out of me. I'm more a fan of the RTX shift pattern.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
Cummins? I figured you had a diesel truck of some kind.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Also, do you grow your own hay? I saw a roll bale in a video and was wondering if you grew hay to feed my hamburgers? I know some ranchers do, and I was wonder if you did, what watering system you used.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
from what IV8 posted, it's a straight up ten with a splitter, not a super ten. I have a feeling that if I drew the shift pattern it would look like a bowl of spaghetti.

bighouse, yeah, it's a Cummins, yeah, it's turned up, yeah it rolls coal, yeah I tow really really heavy poo poo with it. It also gets 23.4 mpg stepping down the highway at 75.
I also make cows and sequester more carbon in a year than you can think about offsetting with your Prius.

e: wall 'o text incoming, scroll down for tl;dr.

I don't quite have the next part written out in my head yet, it's a collection of my own quote and observations, but it will outline some of my philosophy. Here's a brief overview.

I am always thinking about what the land looked like before us white people came and screwed it up. I wonder what the grass looked like, where the trees were and what they were. I wonder what the streams looked like, and how the Bison and Antelope lived. We've made a lot of negative changes to the landscape and the balance nature. This landscape evolved of the course of fifty thousand years, since the last Ice age. We've taken the finely crafted balance that it took nature thousands of years to create and destroyed it in less than a hundred. The native tall grass prairies on the great plains are some of the most biodiverse places outside of tropical rainforests.

We are only here but the blink of an eye, and we're consuming resources that took hundreds of millions of year to create and wasting them foolishly in support of an unsustainable lifestyle that will be gone when we are. What are we leaving behind for our children? How about their children? These might seem like abstract philosophical questions to you, but it's something I think about every day. As I look across the land I wouldn't see what you see, because I attach a different value to things than most. Everything has a place, nature is unordered chaos operating in an unbalanced manner seeking but never attaining equilibrium. It's a system, a vast interconnected web so intricately woven that it's almost imperceptible sometimes.

A tire track can change the course of a stream. Building ten feet of fence can change the grazing pattern for a 200 acre paddock. A ranch trail up a hill washes and becomes a gully and impassable.

To think that we're in a static environment is foolish. To think that our climate will always be the same is asinine. I heard it said a couple weeks ago by a meteorologist that's actually well respected that global warming is probably keeping us out of an ice age.

You don't like GMO crops and hate Monsanto? Then don't eat. Literally, don't eat anything except poo poo you pick off trees and bushes in the wild. I guess you can have Mushrooms and whatever meat you want, as long as it's from a wild animal that isn't finding corn some where to eat. EVERYTHING has something in it that is GMO these days, if it didn't we would have starved in the 50's. GMO hybrid corn from the Garst company saved this country from starvation during the drought of the 50's. Corn, wheat, rice, all the cereal grains have been genetically modified throughout mankind's' existence. Today we do in a lab what took the Native Americans a couple years to do in a week. We grow what we grow because that's how it had to be done to get to this point and feed the world. Modern production agriculture in the US has become what it is for a couple reasons.
1. Death tax.
2. Consumer demand for lower price first, then taste, then availability, then quality. You want it fast, cheap and now.

Think we're getting rich? http://www.nfu.org/images/April2013_Farmers%20Share.pdf
Nope. (linked for auto changes, it that's not cool i'll change it.)

What does death tax have to do it anything? Call your banker up monday morning and give him this scenario:
Your father just died and you inherited everything. His will said 'hey guys (your name here) gets all my poo poo, kthaxbye!
He was a farmer and owned 1,000 acres of land, and all the things needed to work it. Say two tractors, a couple pickups, a 'nice' car, a gently caress off huge shed that has accumulated 40 years worth of debris from life. A house, a combine harvester and a grain truck. That land is worth 3,000 bucks per acre sale price, more depending on mineral and/or water rights. And that's the floor for lovely farm ground out here. it gets cheaper going west, but not much until you hit the front range. Basically, land price follows historical rain fall averages which drives how productive the land is.
So between the land and all the poo poo you need to run the operation, you just inherited four million bucks worth of stuff, say a floating note of about 50k on 8% as operating funds and no debt load. You can't farm less than 1,000 acres and make a living. Imagine you're living your current life, with the money you have in the bank and you get that call, what the gently caress do you do? Know what the taxes are going to be under Obama to transfer those assets? Fifty loving percent if it's under ten million. So now you're on the hook for a tax bill of two million bucks, due RIGHT NOW because, LOL IRS.

Let's go to the bank and ask for two million bucks to pay that, based on you taking over an operation that will, in an average year cash flow about 100k profit, a bad year, maybe lose a hundred grand. Oh, you have ZERO experience in doing even the most basic farm task, let alone crop rotation planning. And the banker knows that. You pretty much have to sell. First you pay the death tax. Then if you have to sell the land you take the hit there if you sell real estate and don't buy real estate, boom taxed again on gains. So that four million dollar farm you inherited? Here's what happens:
Can't pay the tax due to poor estate planning, so everything goes to auction. The neighbors get to pick through all your dad's poo poo and buy it for a little more than they would have paid him for it when he was alive. Maybe some rich neighbor will by some of your land, but most likely it will go to someone that lives out of state, hunters probably. They won't keep up the fence, won't maintain their place and get mad at their neighbors when cows tear down their unmaintained fence. More acres are taken out of production every year by people that fail to think things through and see how what they do affects everyone else. Oh,there's crops in the ground that you'll need to do something with. You also need to decide what you're going to do with those and that potential money. And depending on what you do with the land it will have different tax consequences that are going to be very very hard to understand.

The most valuable resource that we have on this planet is the top six inches of soil. It gives us life, it gives us air, it gives us food and it gives us our shelters. We're doing an atrocious job of keeping it safe and taking care of it. Every year we have to produce more on the same or fewer acres because they aren't making more land. Our input costs go up every year and we have little to no control over the price we get when we sell goods. We have to be more productive with less. Technology is really starting to come of age in the ag sector, we're getting some really cool toys to save tons of time and literally tons of diesel fuel while growing more tons of food. Inch perfect GPS navigation for tractors to seed and fertilize. Digital control over chemical application at the nozzle, to precisely control the amount and location to increase productivity. A brand new, top of the line John Deere S690 Combine set up for multi crops that we have around here, Corn, Beans, Milo and Wheat with the new GPS set up will run about $350,000. Oh, you'll need a header to actually do anything with it. 36 foot flex draper header, last I knew they were about 75 grand. And then you'll need Row header for Corn, and a sixteen row is the smallest you should put on a monster like a S690, that'll be another hundred grand. Pimpin ain't easy. Every once in awhile I have some friends that ask me to come help with harvest, sometimes corn, sometimes wheat. Just depends on who else is around, if I go, I'll be sure to take pics.

If you have a window that the sun shines in get off your rear end tomorrow and go get a pot and grow a tomato plant. Grow something and EAT IT. Eat something that you helped create, be a producer of some of the things you consume.

The word sustainable, I have a problem with it. I think it means that we have to maintain things in the current hosed up state that they are in. I don't want that, I want things to get better.
I want to be able to look across the hills when I'm 70 and know that I'll be leaving it better than when I found it. We have to stop trying to sustain and start regenerating. Sustainability? Let's talk about that when there's seven billion less people on the planet.

The drought we're in currently is worse than the drought in the 50's. The drought we're in is literally the worst drought in recorded history. It's literally a biblical class drought as far as the weather geeks are concerned, but they only care about what white men have seen. The natives tell me that it was like this in the 1840's and 1850's and it didn't recover until the 1870's. And then the white men came, or rather they stopped and settled instead of passing through the vast waste land that Zebbie Pike said couldn't sustain human life. He was right....when he was here.

I'm trying to maximize the productivity of the land, long term and only produce from it what it can support. Feeding hay is silly to me. wWy take your forage to your cows instead of taking your cows to forage? They have legs and are self mobile, make them pay the fuel bill. They have mouths that are purpose built and designed to cut and grind to size the forage that they intake, so why do part of what they are going to do anyway for them? I bet you like food stamps and welfare too, don't ya?

tl:dr, No, I don't grow any hay. ;) What you saw was probably in the video where I am stacking mineral pallets. That's a 50/50 bale of prairie hay and alfalfa mixed that we keep around for whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

God dammit I might have a bit of a man crush on you after that diatribe.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Annnnnd now we're under a tornado watch. Fantastic.

Oh hey, I have heard tell of one on the ground about 100 miles from here.
The line is moving this way, sky is still clear, but there's a lot of energy in the air. Last year I had two rotating wall clouds buzz my house at low altitude, and a rope tornado dropped out of a third one that missed me....by about a mile, literally.

That's pretty fuckin close if you ask me.

edit: from my twitter feed; Public reporting golf ball sized hail 4:13pm 4 miles SW of Utica in Ness county
That's a long ways away.

check out chasertv.com

Hey there tornado dodging Kansan! I'm up in Wichita. Nice to know there are more than 3 of us around.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm glad to see you speak about regenerating rather than sustaining, and also mentioning rainfall being as important as it is, because I really worry about what will happen when the aquifers run dry... dryer than they already are, that is. We've already used an incredible amount of the ogallala aquifer and are using it far faster than it's being recharged, though from a bit of google research it looks like it's being refilled at around 6 inches per year in your area.

All this talk of 10 speeds made me start looking for one to put in my truck eventually. It seems like an RTX14609B should have a good overdrive ratio, shift pattern, and power rating for my setup... now I just need to make sure it'll fit and find time/money to get one and install it.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
This is an awesome thread. You have a pretty cool life and a pretty sweet job.

So between the land and all the poo poo you need to run the operation, you just inherited four million bucks worth of stuff, say a floating note of about 50k on 8% as operating funds and no debt load. You can't farm less than 1,000 acres and make a living. Imagine you're living your current life, with the money you have in the bank and you get that call, what the gently caress do you do? Know what the taxes are going to be under Obama to transfer those assets? Fifty loving percent if it's under ten million. So now you're on the hook for a tax bill of two million bucks, due RIGHT NOW because, LOL IRS.

Obama actually raised the Estate Tax credit to above $5.25 million so in your scenario you would actually pay $0. And if it was above that, you'd pay 40%. Andrew Carnegie has a lot to say about estate inheritance, specifically that it's good for people to will their assets to charity instead of their kids as to not spoil them. After all, the operative statement in that scenario was "you just got given $4 million worth of stuff."

taking over an operation that will, in an average year cash flow about 100k profit, a bad year, maybe lose a hundred grand.

Doesn't sound very lucrative, why wouldn't you sell? :confused:

The word sustainable, I have a problem with it. I think it means that we have to maintain things in the current hosed up state that they are in. I don't want that, I want things to get better.
I want to be able to look across the hills when I'm 70 and know that I'll be leaving it better than when I found it. We have to stop trying to sustain and start regenerating. Sustainability? Let's talk about that when there's seven billion less people on the planet.

Sustainability doesn't mean "keep things the same" it means "the ability to support life without long-term damage to the ecosystem." So basically it means exactly what you want to do.

You have some really inspiring thoughts about our place in the world, I'd like to hear more.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

I definitely have a lot of a man crush on this manliest of manly men, this operating operator who always makes sure to operate operationally, literally the coolest dude ever who also has a cool dogge and a great facial hair configuration.

Also: How often do you pop wheelies in that 333D? That was always my favorite part of skid-loader operation.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I had 1.29 inches of rain at my house, and there was 2.16 at the ranch. I'l have to go ride the pasture as soon as the mud dries a bit and see if any got zapped by lightning this morning or last night.

How often does this actually happen?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

How often does this actually happen?

From my experience, it depends on the area but more often than you'd think (over one summer it happened once out of about 20 lightning storms). In a tornado level thunderstorm I'd expect at least one depending how long it ran.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Cool thread, I like the truck and vids.
The daewoo dog from Australia is cool too, I used to have one.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 20, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Farming really has become a lost art in life.

One of my buddies from way back when still farms his families "Century" Farm (a farm that has been in the family for over 100 years). He said its getting tougher and tougher every day with inputs costing what they do any more.

He has actually jumped into some exotic poo poo, and raising Llamas. Hes not pleased with it, but the extra income is really helping any loses. He is getting sick of getting spit on though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Hey there tornado dodging Kansan! I'm up in Wichita. Nice to know there are more than 3 of us around.

Yep, I watched the wall cloud move up the turnpike yesterday, think it passed maybe a mile north of where we live.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Even leaving aside the inheritance tax situation, which I think is plain wrong anywhere (taxation on what someone accumulated "net" over a lifetime, when they were already paying tax on their income? Yeah, piss off. The UK threshold is ridiculously low, too, about half a million dollars), I get a lot of what you're saying about the way the environment, and agriculture specifically, is regarded. I have a decent rant myself on the subject of people who've never been outside a city wanting the whole countryside to be some kind of quaint theme park for their own amusement, rather than a working environment.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Otoh the only way capitalism works even in theory is when you don't let generational accumulation of wealth distort market forces to such an extent that you get families like the Kochs and Waltons who have more money than the bottom 40% of Americans simply because of what vagina they popped out of

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Even leaving aside the inheritance tax situation, which I think is plain wrong anywhere (taxation on what someone accumulated "net" over a lifetime, when they were already paying tax on their income? Yeah, piss off. The UK threshold is ridiculously low, too, about half a million dollars), I get a lot of what you're saying about the way the environment, and agriculture specifically, is regarded. I have a decent rant myself on the subject of people who've never been outside a city wanting the whole countryside to be some kind of quaint theme park for their own amusement, rather than a working environment.

It's like the people who say that if we stopped using cattle lands and grew crops on them, we could feed the Earth nothing but green herbs and spices. But they completely forget that you can't grow on every inch of land that a cow can graze off of. Simplest thing to do is to Googlemap 95% of northern Nevada, South East Oregon, and Southern Idaho, toss in some Utah and understand that's all cattle land*. In order to change that over to growing crops, you would have to do such a massive earthmoving project it would be insane.

As much as I would love to watch Extreme Farming and love to see the Combine Hill Climb Events, it's not a good use for the area. Plus the people who go and visit the area tend to be dumb and they are found the next spring after going down a road with a sign that says "here be monsters" blinding following their GPS in their 40 foot Winnebago on a seasonal road.

*Yes, they also farm poo poo here as well. And many farmers also run cattle over their fields after they are picked for the cow to eat and poo poo on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Another Wichita goon representing, I live at 29Th and Rock, it passed like a mile or two south of me. Still made my car look life a golf ball, but I avoided serious property damage. Then an hour ago a semi hit my car. :suicide:

You don't like GMO crops and hate Monsanto? Then don't eat. Literally, don't eat anything except poo poo you pick off trees and bushes in the wild. I guess you can have Mushrooms and whatever meat you want, as long as it's from a wild animal that isn't finding corn some where to eat. EVERYTHING has something in it that is GMO these days, if it didn't we would have starved in the 50's. GMO hybrid corn from the Garst company saved this country from starvation during the drought of the 50's. Corn, wheat, rice, all the cereal grains have been genetically modified throughout mankind's' existence. Today we do in a lab what took the Native Americans a couple years to do in a week. We grow what we grow because that's how it had to be done to get to this point and feed the world. Modern production agriculture in the US has become what it is for a couple reasons.

What the general public thinks GMO crops are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SkrYF8lCU

• Locked thread