Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9axle
Sep 6, 2009

bidikyoopi posted:

Doesn't sound very lucrative, why wouldn't you sell? :confused:

50k a year isn't bad money anywhere, especially if you like the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
loving gently caress.

I had a long rear end reply all typed out and I wasn't finished with it yet and I brushed a couple loving keys and EVERYTHING left. I are bad at computers.

kastein, I have a water cycle rant that you'll like, but that's not today.

bidikyoopi, Let's just say that the cap would affect me, but some creative estate planning 15 years is saving my rear end right now. I wonder what Carnegie would say about food stamps, labor unions, the IRS, OHSA and minimum wages. He'd probably say gently caress that, I'm going back to Ireland!
The job isn't about the job. It's a life and lifestyle. I get to work outside doing poo poo I love in a place that I love to be at and I get paid doing it!

N is for Nipples, 333D has tracks, not tires, so no wheelies.

STR, cows get hit by lightning every once in awhile. You'll find one on top of a hill or ridge, on their back, legs straight up with their hooves blown off. It's bizarre the first time you see it.

Brokenkuncklez, <3 you in the locomotive thread BTW. The land I run has been in the family for over a hundred years. :) Oh, gently caress Llamas. I hate those things. Alpacas aren't any better, they are just plain assholes. A lot of folks have to have other enterprises other than just farming or ranching to make ends meet.

Col sanders, P much. Sucks about your car though, hope you have good insurance.

Wichita goons, Hi. please don't stalk me. I have lots of guns and am highly allergic to strangers in my drive way. :D

Content!
Fun Fact, Farming/Ranching is the fourth most dangerous occupation in America!
http://americanlivewire.com/most-dangerous-jobs/

I used to be a Vol Firefighter...I do construction work with my construction machinery....I fell, buck and process my own firewood too. Guess it's a good thing I don't like to fish.

I'm working on the hutch for my 29 Guinea keets. Wednesday they will be four weeks old and it's time for them to move into their home.
I'll post more later when I come in for the night, I gotta go get some more work done, pop might be coming down later to go 'shroomin. It's Morrell time here!

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Used Sunlight sales posted:

You don't like GMO crops and hate Monsanto? Then don't eat. Literally, don't eat anything except poo poo you pick off trees and bushes in the wild. I guess you can have Mushrooms and whatever meat you want, as long as it's from a wild animal that isn't finding corn some where to eat. EVERYTHING has something in it that is GMO these days, if it didn't we would have starved in the 50's. GMO hybrid corn from the Garst company saved this country from starvation during the drought of the 50's. Corn, wheat, rice, all the cereal grains have been genetically modified throughout mankind's' existence. Today we do in a lab what took the Native Americans a couple years to do in a week. We grow what we grow because that's how it had to be done to get to this point and feed the world. Modern production agriculture in the US has become what it is for a couple reasons.

dude your kennywanker is cool but you're confusing hybridization with genetic engineering

edit - it's a peterbilt ok

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Colonel Sanders posted:

Another Wichita goon representing, I live at 29Th and Rock, it passed like a mile or two south of me. Still made my car look life a golf ball, but I avoided serious property damage. Then an hour ago a semi hit my car. :suicide:

Wichita goons, Hi. please don't stalk me. I have lots of guns and am highly allergic to strangers in my drive way. :D

I only have one gun :( (and it sucks)

mini Wichita derail: Rscott and I are off Harry and Rock/Webb. Why are we not doing cooler goon things?

Also, did you know the local SCCA is in dire need of land for a Rally-Cross event? (there hasn't been one since 2008) and me with a dirty Subaru and only straight dirt roads. :(

How much lasting/total damage does an event like that do to the topsoil/land it is hosted on? I would only guess its some rutting and such from multiple cars going over the same course.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

toplitzin posted:

I only have one gun :( (and it sucks)

Also, did you know the local SCCA is in dire need of land for a Rally-Cross event? (there hasn't been one since 2008) and me with a dirty Subaru and only straight dirt roads. :(

How much lasting/total damage does an event like that do to the topsoil/land it is hosted on? I would only guess its some rutting and such from multiple cars going over the same course.

Lasting forever damage? Not too much i'd think, as long as there were no major fluid spills. There'd probably be some bad ruts, out here it would have to be done on top of a hill. I might have a spot, how big of an area do you need for one?

I have a Subaru too, but it's not yet time for that in this thread.

About the one gun, don't worry, it's not about the size of the weapon, it's how you use it. ;)

Giblet Plus! posted:

you're confusing hybridization with genetic engineering

'Splain to me how they are different things.
Hybridization is where you cross breed different strains or plants to maximize or reinforce certain genes. How is that not genetic engineering or manipulation?

Next, I bet you'll tell me that dogs aren't related to wolves.

Modern dent corn comes from a plant the Natives called Maize that they domesticated and engineered from a strain of grass.

Hard red winter wheat is descended from a grass in the Grama family, and is almost so good at what it does that Monsanto hasn't been able to improve on it.

I'm not trying to avoid answering any questions, I'll try to get to all of them, I'm keeping a list. Instead of just telling you what we do with our watering traps, I'll show you with pictures. I think I'm going to build a new watering center or two this year, so that will be a fun process to document.

Content!

Here's what I use for a portable air source.

I rotated cows this morning,

Dog is my co pilot.

2011 Polaris Ranger RZR S. 800cc twin cylinder. I've put skid plates, a-arm guards, pipe and tuner on it. Front bumper and plastic roof too. Other than that, I just drive the poo poo out of it. I've got a bunch of footage from inside, just need to catch some cool poo poo, like slides around corners and jumps before I get serious about cutting together a youtube thing.

I love taking it to the dunes and not washing all the cow poo poo off it, I get some really funny looks. Speaking of which, the woman isn't working wednesday, and I might just take the afternoon off and go to the sand dunes down by Waynoka, Ok.

Saw this big bastard rolling through town while I was trying to eat lunch. There's much oil field activity going on down here it's nuts. I can only imagine what it's like in ND or up at the Tar Sands project.

Last semi random picture, if you don't cut your trees or do anything but simply turn cows out, your place will look like this: covered in cedar trees.

Remember how I said that you can make a large impact by concentrating herd impact?

There used to be a small plum thicket there. The little bit of rain helped.

edit:
eat or don't eat? :ohdear:

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 21, 2013

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hybridization is where you cross breed different strains or plants to maximize or reinforce certain genes. How is that not genetic engineering or manipulation?

Next, I bet you'll tell me that dogs aren't related to wolves.

Modern dent corn comes from a plant the Natives called Maize that they domesticated and engineered from a strain of grass.

I can't speak for Giblet, but I think when most people talk about "genetically engineered" organisms they mean something that can't happen naturally, like adding the ability to secrete artificial pesticide, or putting eel DNA in your salmon. Technically you're right though, anything humans tamper with is "engineered."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My issue with GMO food is when they take things too far. Stuff that could have been done with natural breeding/selection but would have taken longer? Sure.

GMO stuff that produces its own pesticides? I don't know that I want to be eating that. Or having it out in the wild to breed with non-GMO strains in unpredictable ways.
GMO stuff that produces toxic stuff? (this isn't much a farming thing, more a biopharma/biofuel rant) I really, really hope they don't let that get out into the world. On the one hand, there's research into GMO bacteria that takes waste and produces diesel fuel from it, which is awesome, but on the other hand, if you spill it or accidentally release it into a stream, how are you going to clean up that stream when the bacteria just keep producing diesel from everything they digest? It's like an oil spill that just keeps on giving.
GMO stuff that produces more food with less land of lower quality, or similar? I'm OK with that.

What's that Polaris got for traction control and/or recovery?

Those little garden carts seem pretty cool, Billy Tully gave me and ACEofsnett one for junkyard runs but we haven't actually had a chance to make use of it yet. I was looking forward to dragging some engines, transmissions, and 1-ton axles out of the junkyard on it, so I'm slightly worried by the fact that they don't seem to live up to their weight rating in your experience. Will have to put some thought into reinforcements before it gets broken.

Character Name
Jun 4, 2008

Raluek posted:

I can't speak for Giblet, but I think when most people talk about "genetically engineered" organisms they mean something that can't happen naturally, like adding the ability to secrete artificial pesticide, or putting eel DNA in your salmon. Technically you're right though, anything humans tamper with is "engineered."

Hybridization is really little different than breeding animals. If you breed two dogs together, no matter what kind, what you'll end up with is still a dog. The offspring isn't going to exhibit any traits that aren't innate to dogs. GMO plants have had genes that are not natural to that species inserted, such as Roundup tolerance or the Bt toxin to improve insect resistance. If those traits had naturally occurred in any of the plants they've inserted those genes into, it would have been far easier and cheaper to breed those traits into commercially viable hybrids rather than use genetic engineering to insert them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My beef with GMO products is poo poo like Terminator seeds and the effects that they have on nearby crops; the seeds produce infertile plants, but they can reduce the fertility rate of anything downwind by dusting it with infertile pollen. Then there's the whole mess of patenting organisms that shouldn't be allowed but Monsanto pays off the politicians :argh:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

N is for Nipples, 333D has tracks, not tires, so no wheelies.

...maybe you're just not trying hard enough.

Excuse me for being dumb. I knew well it had tracks, I watched every single video on your channel.
(they were all great)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lasting forever damage? Not too much i'd think, as long as there were no major fluid spills. There'd probably be some bad ruts, out here it would have to be done on top of a hill. I might have a spot, how big of an area do you need for one?

I have a Subaru too, but it's not yet time for that in this thread.

About the one gun, don't worry, it's not about the size of the weapon, it's how you use it. ;)

These guys would know how much space is needed, http://www.wichitascca.org/ or rallycross specific info http://www.wichitascca.org/RallyX.html .

That'd be awesome if there was space. :swoon:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

N is for Nipples posted:

...maybe you're just not trying hard enough.

Excuse me for being dumb. I knew well it had tracks, I watched every single video on your channel.
(they were all great)

The length of track on the ground and lack of any sort of give like you'd have in a tire keeps it very well planted.

We've got some visitors and I've been doing other stuff. I'll get back to mechanical mayhem soon.

Some of us just need to agree to disagree, I don't want to argue with anyone, so we'll just move on.

My Polaris has a couple things going for it: I know this place really well, I know where all the mud holes are. On demand true 4wd, a weight of about a thousand pounds, insane acceleration, great suspension and plenty of power. Translation: I haven't gotten it stuck, but when I do, I'm sure I'll need machinery to dig it out. I'd look over that garden cart real well. If it's got something sturdy enough to call a frame instead of just having poo poo bolted to expanded metal it would be better.

Most of the problems I have had with my yellow wagon are wheels and tires. I broke a rim at the hub, twice. Just not a sturdy piece of kit.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

edit:
eat or don't eat? :ohdear:

Is that some type of mushroom?
If so, it looks like a Morel. Read more:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489363

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Fo3 posted:

Is that some type of mushroom?
If so, it looks like a Morel. Read more:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489363

http://youtu.be/TDpt9iicEow

Looks safe to me. Just have some B12 and orange slices on standby.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
About the mushroom, I sent a picture to my pop, cause he's a mushroom guy.

He couldn't tell what it was in the 8mp picture I sent him, so he drove out to look at it. I wasn't sure if he would eat it or not. So I ran it over with the wagon on accident.

Then he went to the river mushroom hunting and came back with 30 ticks.

I keep telling him to remember to put his frontline on.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Brokenkuncklez, <3 you in the locomotive thread BTW. The land I run has been in the family for over a hundred years. :) Oh, gently caress Llamas. I hate those things. Alpacas aren't any better, they are just plain assholes. A lot of folks have to have other enterprises other than just farming or ranching to make ends meet.

Haha, thanks. Its a really hosed up job to be polite about it. Unless you work in the railroad industry, you really can't explain it.

It really stinks about the whole ranching thing, pretty much the only way to make money in this industry is to have close to 3000 acres, and even then it can be a struggle. The cost of inputs alone is completely outrageous.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I run more acres than that, and it's still not easy.

How much land you need follows how good your soil is follows rainfall.

I did work today and I got some cool new camera angles.

Question, what video should I make next? I did some things today. I sawed trees and I went dump truckin, so what do you want to see?

Next poster with an answer to that question gets to decide.

I'm going to go pull my time lapse camera tonight, it's been running for five days now I think. Hopefully it got what I want.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I'd like to see more saw on tree action. I'm watching people move dirt in front of my apartment right now. They have built a mound large enough to obscure the view of the three story building across the lot.

I don't get to watch large saws though.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Question, what video should I make next? I did some things today. I sawed trees and I went dump truckin, so what do you want to see?

Strap your GoPro to the dump's driveshaft and have it look down the length of it while you tool around at a reasonable speed that doesn't send the GoPro into orbit. That'll sort out those with queasy stomachs.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Team140, you're late. I'm alerady doing a saw video. There's some sweet dump trucking action and I almost started working on it. Glad I didn't.

Any other ideas for camera angles and mounting places? I amazon primed ten more gopro sticky mounts. Most things are magnetic enough or I can find a good spot that is magnetic to stick the camera on, but there's those loving plastic places...and my saw vibrates waaaayyyy too much for the mag mount. I have all sorts of odd mounts, and I'm a good person to make poo poo work.

Go watch that show called "Hilbilly Blood" for being guys with day jobs in NC, they are very very skilled in woods lore and just general how to get it done. Might be good for a laugh anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I for one would like to see some sweet ten-speed stick play in that dump truck. But I'm too late :v:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I know it sounds boring, but just stick a camera in your polaris when you ride the pasture one day. I'm a sucker for the scenery.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Do like a mini day-in-the-life by taking the go pro in every vehicle you drive (maybe even walking for a significant distance) for that day and then edit it down to about five to ten minutes.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Hey kastein, http://youtu.be/HrbvQLxCjLM I did some more dump truckin today, there's sweet gear jammin action to make muffinpox twitchy, but that will have to wait for another day.

Viper, I have tons of just pasture ride footage. I'll try to put something together for you. :)

Leica, I've kind of been doing that, I just cut out all the really boring poo poo. I really didn't think you guys wanted a diary or give many shits about my cows. If it's cool i'll put that sort of stuff here too.

At some point I might mention that you can click to embiggen all of my pics.

I let my 29 Guineas out this morning...and they left. Still haven't come back. :( I'm sad. They're supposed to come back. Nine were around at lunch.

My office for the morning.

loving gently caress fuckety fucker.

That fucker almost de-tracked me. How'd I get it out?

I put on my goddamn gloves and pulled it the gently caress out. How'd you think I was going to do it?

nifty Before shot:

five minutes later....

RAWR.

More before:

not long after:

There's a video uploading, link below!

After sawing Sam and I did some dump truckin.

Her and my pop's dog got up a coon this morning, it took them both to the creek, but pop reported that they killed the coon. She's got a new battle scar.

10 or so years old and still needs no help to load up.

The old Pete out in the pasture.

I took a dump.

Three point turning that whore, man I am glad I have a lot of land. It's not the most agile or nimble of rigs. But I am falling slowly in love with her. :)
Even though she'll try to slowly kill me with diesel smoke that somehow gets in the cab and I think the kingpins are worn out but I like her.

Maybe this winter I will look into restoring her a little.

Pulled 5 loads today, 15.3 tons first and the next three were 14-14.5. The last one the loader op frickin slammed me with 17.2 tons. Growling up the hill out of the pit with that much weight on was fun.
The Cummins was screaming, but I was in the little hole on the top side (6th gear, ok?) in direct drive on my Browning.

I did check out the shift pattern plates in the cab today..

I took about ten pics of each and these are the only three that came out. Have fun, cause I can't see poo poo.

from what I can tell, the one for the Aux box, 3rd is direct and 4th is over, 2nd is under and first is so low that it's pointless. I tried it today, 15 tons of junk dirt and rock in the bed, and I just eased out on the clutch in fourth gear, low side, Double under. Not stalling, bogging or anything. I just took my foot off the pedal and looked out the window and I was moving about half the speed of smell.

Youtubery uploading, link will be http://youtu.be/jgeDz-E1aBk

e2: just watched the video and there's a lot wrong with it. Maybe I'll fix it tomorrow. It's still pretty cool.

Enjoy.

e: VVV Big drat stick stuck in between my track and hull, almost pushed the track off. I couldn't get it to roll out of there with power either, had to get hands on.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 22, 2013

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

The gently caress is that?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

N is for Nipples posted:

The gently caress is that?

A piece of a tree. They grow in the wild.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What's the advantage of taking the trees down?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Wrar posted:

What's the advantage of taking the trees down?

Cedar trees are thirsty motherfuckers and if you care about how much water is in your soil you'll probably be on a never ending quest to rid your land of them. They're like the weeds of trees.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Looking at the shift pattern stickers would that be some sort of 5 with 4 thing?
? denotes a guess

code:

R?  2?  4?            ?????? 1       4
|   |   |                    |       |  
------N--                    |---N---|
1   3   5             Under  2       3
       DIRECT             

MAIN TRANSMISSION       AUXILIARY TRANSMISSION      

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's like the people who say that if we stopped using cattle lands and grew crops on them, we could feed the Earth nothing but green herbs and spices. But they completely forget that you can't grow on every inch of land that a cow can graze off of. Simplest thing to do is to Googlemap 95% of northern Nevada, South East Oregon, and Southern Idaho, toss in some Utah and understand that's all cattle land*. In order to change that over to growing crops, you would have to do such a massive earthmoving project it would be insane.

There's also some pretty solid research that shows grazing animals stop and can actually reverse desertification. Livestock replaces the wild animals that used to serve this function.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Team140, you're late. I'm alerady doing a saw video. There's some sweet dump trucking action and I almost started working on it. Glad I didn't.

Any other ideas for camera angles and mounting places? I amazon primed ten more gopro sticky mounts. Most things are magnetic enough or I can find a good spot that is magnetic to stick the camera on, but there's those loving plastic places...and my saw vibrates waaaayyyy too much for the mag mount. I have all sorts of odd mounts, and I'm a good person to make poo poo work.

Go watch that show called "Hilbilly Blood" for being guys with day jobs in NC, they are very very skilled in woods lore and just general how to get it done. Might be good for a laugh anyway.

Put a camera on Sam. I want to see a day in his life.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Sockington posted:

A piece of a tree. They grow in the wild.
That's what I assumed, but the red bits were making me think it was the wing of some horrid beast he had conquered with Johnny Deere's Triple-Three D "The Cedarslayer" Compact Track Loader.

ought ten posted:

Put a camera on Sam. I want to see a day in his life.
Please do this.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Eightbit, that's the first time I have ever heard someone outside my normal circle of folks say anything like that. :)
If we haven't met, I bet we know some of the same people. PM me if you've got them.

Sormus, I already know the pattern. ;) I posted that for IV8 or one of the other pro truckers to maybe give me a better idea of what sort of boxes I have with trying to peel back 40 or so years of crud to try and find markings.
But what you posted is basically correct. Pretty sure 1st on the aux trans is a double under, 3rd is direct drive and 4th would be overdrive. Those decals/plates in the cab would tell the tale easiest, but you see what's going on there.

Motronic, you're 100% dead on balls accurate. The ecosystem(s) on the american continent evolved with huge herds of graze and browse animals. To maintain a healthy balance, the system needs browsers and grazers.

A cow, depending on genetics, can make a living about anywhere that a human can tolerate the climate. Some cows do better on the native range that I have, some do better on the fescue over in Missouri and some would die in the mountains where some others thrive.

Around here most guys have black cows, primarily angus descent. The local dairies run your normal Holsteins and JerseyX. I don't know much about cow genetics and breeds because most of what is taught is based on production ag, not what actually works.
The model that the state land grant colleges teach is wrong. Ag can't and shouldn't work that way.

30 years ago when my pop started improving the ranch all the neighbors said that he wouldn't last five years and that he didn't know poo poo. Of those neighboring ranches, one was broken up for sale to pay debts. Another was sold because the guy wasn't making enough money and wanted to move on. And a third went to foreclosure on their op note because they failed to manage their grass and let the trees take over. Now the neighbors that are left are trying very very hard to replicate what he has done, and what we are doing currently and what I am trying as we move forward. I've learned a lot from my pop, he's a smart guy and I'll miss him dearly when he's gone. I have put a lot of blood and sweat into this place.

Sam cam would be pretty boring I think. She's really laid back. Mostly it would be her following me around, looking out the windshield, watching me work or sleeping. I guess if you want to see three minutes of me walking so you can look at my butt I'll make the video, but it's a strange request.

Content!

When you live out here this time of year you have to scan the horizon all the time. In california they talk about a 2,000 acre wildfire that lasts a week. Out here, that can be minutes. There's nothing to stop the wind. When the wildfire came through the ranch in 08 the flame front was rolling about 25mph, but the spread was faster because it jumps ahead on the wind. 15 foot tall flames in grass, cedar trees basically exploding, it's wild stuff. None of the group I am a part of is planning on doing any fires this year, maybe next, depends on the rain.

This is about ten miles away. I know the guy, he was probably burning something close to a thousand acres today. Good day for it, no wind. :ughh: Maybe I shouldn't judge, I don't know what he's trying to manage for. :laugh:

More of my big sky today.

Warming up my lunch!

A couple before/afters:

That's all you get today. I got home, fought with the woman for 2.5hrs, and then she left. took a couple bags and left. So I made some dinner and wrote this post. I'm going to go do something else for awhile. :(

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Bummer dude. Sucks working hard all day and then having to deal with drama when all you want is a beer and a couch.
At least you have a shooting range. Beats smashing your phone into the ground and regretting it immediately afterwords.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I'm from South Texas and can almost 100% guarantee our friend circles don't overlap. I know some ranchers/landowners around here and have read studies showing that taking the cedar out of a chunk of land surrounding creeks increases the amount of water that runs down them (and into your watering tanks) with the same rain coverage. We don't get much rain down here so every bit of water management is precious. Oaks are pretty benign and give lots more shade than cedars, so they're left to form windbreaks; you can also burn oak in a fireplace, cedar will make you sick.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But cedar is good for making planks then grilling fish on them :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

leica posted:

But cedar is good for making planks then grilling fish on them :colbert:

Depending on where you live, "cedar" is probably a different species than what I'm talking about, which is mostly Ash Juniper (called mountain cedar) or Eastern Red Cedar; neither of those species have a pleasant smell when burnt and in the case of Eastern Red, are known to contain toxic oils :downs:.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Sam cam would be pretty boring I think. She's really laid back. Mostly it would be her following me around, looking out the windshield, watching me work or sleeping. I guess if you want to see three minutes of me walking so you can look at my butt I'll make the video, but it's a strange request.
Boring to you, but riveting to us city-folk!

And we all know the working man has the greatest butt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic, you're 100% dead on balls accurate.

Is that an industry term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Motronic posted:

Is that an industry term?

TFR crossover :siren: Came from this video and my friend Dutch, now it's an inside joke, kind of slipped out. http://youtu.be/CRRLbDIvln8

I haven't interacted with another person face to face yet today, I'm ok with that. If i didn't have to go to john deere I might be able to make it to tomorrow without having to deal anyone.

The air seat on my skid steer loving broke, so I have to go to Mecca and look at the diagram. Probably ride my Harley since it's a decent day.

I'm about done cutting from the first landing and closing in on the second. I guess I'll have to make roads for a few days and go dump truckin before the move. I should finish cutting off the first landing tomorrow if I get my machine running. Then transition to dirt work mode and dump truckin for a little bit.

I wanted to get a teaser pic to post, but my seat fuckin broke just before I was heading to get that shot, oh well, maybe later.

N is for Nipples posted:

Boring to you, but riveting to us city-folk!

And we all know the working man has the greatest butt.

I'll see what I can put together from 'stock' footage that would otherwise get tossed.

Thanks, I think I have a good butt.

EightBit posted:

I'm from South Texas and can almost 100% guarantee our friend circles don't overlap. I know some ranchers/landowners around here and have read studies showing that taking the cedar out of a chunk of land surrounding creeks increases the amount of water that runs down them (and into your watering tanks) with the same rain coverage. We don't get much rain down here so every bit of water management is precious. Oaks are pretty benign and give lots more shade than cedars, so they're left to form windbreaks; you can also burn oak in a fireplace, cedar will make you sick.

I bet there's some degree of Venn overlap management wise and who you've heard and who I've heard. I've got a copy of some water cycle and stream flow research that was done on the ranch it's interesting stuff. It will tell you how much rain gets into what part of the water cycle based on cedar cover, grass health and a couple other things.

They drink a lot and specific numbers don't matter much to me, but the overall impact on the ecosystem is huge. The two thick canyons I sawed out fall/winter 11/12 were both flowing water in the middle of the drought last summer. The summer before....nothing. That tells me that I am going the right direction.

The old old timers tell of when every canyon had water in it. During the drought in the 50's there were some local jackasses that decided that it would be a cool idea to plant Eastern Red Cedar trees around to help keep things from blowing. THEY PLANTED the trees. Insanity I tell you. ERC are in invasive species and I want to kill them all.

"Cedar Slayer" I like the sound of that.

• Locked thread