Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Walking out the door in about five minutes to go on this ride thing.

The WBC tried a protest in 2006 out here and it didn't end well for them. There will be 15 or so of us this morning.

I kind of have to trust that the cows are OK this morning, it's going to be noon before they see me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

As a fellow Kansan, every update you make in this thread makes me happy.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
OR. You could show up to the protest with a legion of Heifers. Just saying. Nothing says quit your homophobic crap quite like a stampede orchestrated but the cow wizard.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I just hope nothing stupid occurs. The WBC is basically the Church of Trolling, and they get their funding from suing people who get mad and do poo poo to them.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Didn't see anything on the news about a bunch of bikers beating up WBC members so I guess it went pretty well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Plenty of property available out there to make some bodies disappear. :unsmigghh:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

devmd01 posted:

Plenty of property available out there to make some bodies disappear. :unsmigghh:

I actually told a Lawyer something very close to that a couple years ago.

I was on the Plaintiff side, trying to recoup damages from a fire my neighbors lit (negligently.) The lawyer was from the insurance company.

I had 2 of the 3 defense (insurance company) lawyers in my truck and one of my lawyers. Their lead lawyer started shooting off his mouth, while we were a mile back in the pasture. I very simply told him to shut up and if he didn't that I had heavy equipment and that 7,000 acres is a lot of space to hide one body.

He shut the gently caress up and never said another word to me.

WBC didn't show up, they never do. (lots of space to hide bodies.)

Tried and failed to capture a rogue bull this morning, he went to the brush and three of us couldn't get him convinced to come out. The owner pretty much gave me a blank check and permission to do anything short of shooting him to get him captured. I have a few ideas, hopefully next time the cowboy crew assembles for my neighbor I can steal them for an hour or so to get that big bastard caught.

2,000+ lbs of bull goes where ever he wants to, and right now, he wants to hide in the fuckin brush.

Big mineral hump this afternoon and getting the skid steers ready to go do some fire prep work so we can burn some poo poo in the spring. Three machines, seven attachments and about two miles of fireline to prepare.

Lunch done, time to go back to work. Activity in this thread makes me want to add more content. I am going to try to work on a road that I messed with yesterday, but had to stop because the machine won't run cool.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Skid steer vs bull. Match of the century (in my head).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bull wins that I think.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

rscott posted:

Bull wins that I think.

Does the brush saw still count as "short of" shooting it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shoot it with a tranquilizer, use your Bobcat to get it into your dump truck, deliver to owner. Easy!

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

The Midniter posted:

Shoot it with a tranquilizer, use your Bobcat to get it into your dump truck, deliver to owner. Easy!

"excuse me sir, i have found your grumpy bull"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Midniter posted:

On next week's episode of Dirt Road Trucker:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I just got in from helping my neighbor prep some fireguards for a burn we're planning next spring. The north end of it is only a mile from my house, so I'm pretty interested in making sure we have a good strong fire guard built. Our prevailing winds are S->N here in the spring, fall and summer. Winter time, old man hawk comes down from the north.

I still don't have a solid plan for getting the bull, it's going to be more of an opportunity thing than a hard and fast plan. It may however involve tranqs. I can get ahold of some Rompun, and it's bad rear end stuff. Known side effects include death.

Skid steer vs. Bull ends predictably with the bull simply running away.

So...pics, yeah?

So last week I got a few loads of rock hauled. Here's how it looks around the telephone corner (long story, don't ask, but it's a local landmark.)

Bonus Sam shot.

Spread out nice and even. :)

How about Buffalo?

South Central Kansas Traffic Jam.

I bought a new mower.

It's pretty badass it pivots about 30 degrees and has casters in front to help follow the ground. I can't find another mower with those features.

I did a mineral hump the other day, if you don't know what that is It's vitamins for cows. It comes in 50 lb sacks and 200lb tubs. The 200lb tubs can kiss my rear end, they are not fun to load by yourself.

Dog is always my co-pilot.

This little Suzuki is a great truck to haul about a half ton of poo poo around.

Right hand drive, 4 speed with a dual range transfer case and locking axles and diffs.

It is also a frickin billy goat.

How about some articulation?

The front end has blocks on top of the struts that lift it 2 inches to clear the tires. The back, the kit I bought had a helper spring that made it ride rough as hell. So I took them off and built longer shackles.

The air intake was really low and tended to suck in a crap load of dust. So I moved it.

Redneck engineered intake system

Driving around and looking at grass I noticed this coming back onto my place from the neighbors.
Which side is mine?

How about some dung beetles? Dung beetles are a sign of healthy soil.

Cows eating their vitamins, it also has 28% protein to help them digest lignified (dried) grass.

What else did I do? I moved some sand.

I could maybe fit about a shovel full somewhere...maybe?

Here's my borrow pit, only a few loads taken out at this point, mostly I stripped off the grass and sagebrush.

Some sand gone...

Even more gone...

I have more pics of the borrow pit, but I didn't frame them right and there's no reference. I can't even tell what's going on, so you don't get to see them.

The rest of the week I'm going to try to get some dump truckin done. I'm going to try to pull 6 loads tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Also, I have some more pics on my phone, I'll try to be motivated to get them uploaded tonight and make another post. Kerbal space program is ruining my life, free time and sleep time.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, KSP will do that to you. I hope your house doesn't catch fire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is that one of those little pieces of crap I see on the docks in LA an TX? I always thought those thing were awesome (and cheap enough), but don't have enough land to play with to make one useful.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

The picture with the inside with the dog on the left seat and the steering wheel on the right could've been taken in outback Australia.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
While riding the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka (and back), as you pass by you see every single farm had one of those mini-trucks. I think there are a few manufacturers, of course. Also, a lot of the farmers had a Shiba Inu dog.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Most of the major manufacturers in Japan have them, and pretty much everywhere, rural or urban, swarms with them. Also things like half-scale garbage trucks built on 3.5T chassis.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Man, those trucks are so cute, especially with different various attachments. Like an adorable plow, or flatbed, or box, or garbage compactor...

I wonder if you could get one with a fifth wheel and an adorable semi-trailer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

N is for Nipples posted:

Man, those trucks are so cute, especially with different various attachments. Like an adorable plow, or flatbed, or box, or garbage compactor...

I wonder if you could get one with a fifth wheel and an adorable semi-trailer.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh my goodness :kiddo:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'd love to get one but they aren't road legal in many states for some reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'd love to get one but they aren't road legal in many states for some reason.

There's a state that they are road legal in? I don't think any of the motors have been "federalized", so I'm pretty sure it's a no-go regardless.

I just see a lot of them for sale cheap on the docks. Looks like they'd make a nice farm/ranch runabout.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Motronic posted:

There's a state that they are road legal in? I don't think any of the motors have been "federalized", so I'm pretty sure it's a no-go regardless.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks - Legal everywhere but the interstate in some states, legal on low speed only roads in others or not at all legal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks - Legal everywhere but the interstate in some states, legal on low speed only roads in others or not at all legal.

Oh, that's awesome. I didn't realize they were allowed as something other than a passenger vehicle.

But, my state still doesn't allow it, dammit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

UNT has a bunch of them (don't remember what make), with plates and inspection stickers. One passenger van, the rest were cargo vans or pickups. All of the roads on campus are 15-20 MPH (with the nearest gas station just off campus), so top speed wasn't an issue.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I find that it's not a matter of how fast you can go in that little truck, it's a matter of how fast you want to. Just remember you're the first one to the scene of the crash. You'll beat the other guy there by a couple hundredths of a second at least.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's one of those near where I used to live with a 1000cc bike engine in it. I'm legitimately astonished he's not dead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NitroSpazzz posted:

"Located on a natural island with an area in excess of 20,000 acres and that is within a county having a population in excess of 4,000,000."

This is an interesting qualification for California.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

"Located on a natural island with an area in excess of 20,000 acres and that is within a county having a population in excess of 4,000,000."

This is an interesting qualification for California.

That is likely a very specific place, but they are not allowed to name municipalities in legislation of this type.

It threw me for a loop before I realized that my state is the same way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If I had to guess that is talking about the channel islands, specifically San Clemente Island, which the military uses as a bombing range and naval exercise area. Possibly San Catalina as well, civilians actually live there.

I spent about a week in summer 2006 on that island upgrading the data logging and processing systems for their hydrophone array. Fun trip.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 3, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Dog is my co pilot.

As usual, Dog is my co-pilot.

Dog is my co pilot.

Dog is always my co-pilot.

I think you need to get one of those "God is my co-pilot" bumper stickers and change it to Dog using a sharpie marker or scissors. Or buy one...

Great thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Did you just make a post for the purpose of cataloguing his cattledogging?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

If I had to guess that is talking about the channel islands, specifically San Clemente Island, which the military uses as a bombing range and naval exercise area. Possibly San Catalina as well, civilians actually live there.

I spent about a week in summer 2006 on that island upgrading the data logging and processing systems for their hydrophone array. Fun trip.

Yeah it's for Catalina where it's very difficult to have a car. I just found it odd they just can't say that.
Edit: I love Dog.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 6, 2013

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I find that it's not a matter of how fast you can go in that little truck, it's a matter of how fast you want to. Just remember you're the first one to the scene of the crash. You'll beat the other guy there by a couple hundredths of a second at least.

I think you're a pretty good driver, you could probably beat the paramedics there by an hour or two! :haw:

Also you need a 'Dog is my co-pilot' sticker on every vehicle you own.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Hell, anything that happens out here you beat the Paramedics and cops by an half hour minimum, and that's if you are on the highway.

I think I am a pretty fair driver too. Thanks. :) I used to race shifter karts, bee tee dub.

Out in the pasture? You're a long way from help buddy. I've always tried to be very conscious about where I am, the dangers and how bad I would be screwed if I got hurt and couldn't work.

When I hurt my leg back in July and my ribs a week ago it's really slowed me down. Either that or 35 did, not real sure which.

One of the better things I learned in the Navy is the principles of Operational Risk Management. I can probably credit ORM with me still being alive. I cannot however credit ORM when I rolled the Suzuki, hosed up my leg, got my ribs bashed in, rolled the orange Kubota, got kicked in the knee by a 350lb calf, got pinned behind a gate by a mad mother cow, getting 'bit' by the ten odd thousand volts on the electric fence a thousand times (poo poo happens.)

Ranch life is dangerous. I put on my seat belt in the truck and Rzr, and I will from now on in the skid steer. I plan every cut with my chainsaw, I watch everyones fingers when we're splitting wood. I can't count how many older guys I know in Ag around here that are missing a limb or digit because of a preventable accident.

Do they sell those 'dog is my co-pilot' stickers by the case? If not, where can I get a quantity discount?
(It's a funny thought, but I'm generally against stickers on my rigs.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What gets a mother cow mad?
One time when I was walking my dog up in the hills a calf came up to her and started sticking its tongue out like it wanted to lick her but I got nervous because the mom was coming up so I got my doggy away.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CharlesM posted:

What gets a mother cow mad?

Mad Cow Disease

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I have a bunch of shifting and jake braking footage loaded into movie maker, now I just some motivation to do something with it.

• Locked thread