Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Motronic posted:

There's a state that they are road legal in? I don't think any of the motors have been "federalized", so I'm pretty sure it's a no-go regardless.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks - Legal everywhere but the interstate in some states, legal on low speed only roads in others or not at all legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Dog is my co pilot.

As usual, Dog is my co-pilot.

Dog is my co pilot.

Dog is always my co-pilot.

I think you need to get one of those "God is my co-pilot" bumper stickers and change it to Dog using a sharpie marker or scissors. Or buy one...

Great thread.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Galler posted:

210 MVP. I'm going to get either that one or the Miller version (if I can get a deal from my friend at a local welding supply place) after I buy a house. Being able to run either 120 or 240 with the same machine is such a brilliant idea.

I have the Miller version and love it. The 120/240 option is really nice and the thing makes even my lovely welding ability look good enough and make very strong welds.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've been thinking about getting a quadcopter that will carry a gopro (or equivalent,) stable outdoors in the wind and has >15 mins flight time. Preferably a gimbal stabilized camera.
I'm seriously thinking about a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + for now and getting one of these AirDog when they become available, or simply getting in on the kickstarter. I still have time to make up my mind.
I can probably afford a phantom now and an airdog when they come out, but if I get in on the airdog kickstarter i won't be able to afford a phantom until the end of the year. Pass on kickstarter and get a Phantom and buy an Airdog at retail seems to make the most sense. Anyone know anything about them?

That's the update from the Red Hills. See ya.

For this I'd recommend checking out the aerial r/c thread over in DIY - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

Someone there should be able to give you a good comparison and recommendations. Quads with gopro's are a lot of fun and for your use might be perfect.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I can see a lot of uses for it. I can take it with me in RZR or Kubota out in the pasture, set it up and go check a really large area really fast for cows, trees, intruders, wildlife, grass. The list goes on, and the more I thought about it the more I can justify it from a business stand point. I have 7,000 of my own acres to fly around on, There's two radio towers close enough that virtually no one will be under 1,000 AGL.
I did aerial photography on the side when I was in college using a big r/c helicopter and about half of my customers were farms. Go up to 500-1000ft and take a bunch of pictures for them, fly a distance then do it again. A few companies were offering all in one packages using a sailplane years ago but I'd imagine they've transitioned to multi-rotor platforms now.

I need to solve the problem of where to fly it from, something like a light weight landing platform, big enough to catch 99% of all 'return-to-home' automated landings in the winds out here.
Something with a flat base, possibly foldable. Folding/retracting legs about a foot tall. Maybe extenders to can extend to variable heights, like the ones found on rifle bipods? Then I'd need a way to attach a target that sticks out the center of one of the sides that extends out at a 90 angle to the platform, parallel to the ground. It needs to have markings on it so I can see with the FPV cam mounted in front my markers for landing.
Folding card table with the legs cut short? Don't need anything fancy or heavy duty for a landing pad. If your brave put a sheet of plywood on the roof of your Kubota and land there. I did a few jobs over water using a 8'x8' platform made out of plywood and two canoes but that was for a much larger rig.

• Locked thread