Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So whats the logic behind removing all the trees? more pasture in the area the trees occupied? Or are they an invasive weed species?

Theres a huge amount of research going on in Aus about the role of trees in agriculture, and things like shelterbelts and windbreaks.

Did a study as part of my uni course on shelter belts and theres now a push for increasing the number of trees in the landscape as the effects of reducing the wind velocity over crops and pasture, and the resulting improvement in growth outweighs the loss of pasture by the trees being grown.

Im genuinely curious to know whether the same approach is being taken in the US- But you guys also have different tree species to us too- Grasses wont grow under a conifer like they will under a big gum tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cool- Sounds like your issues with Cedars are the same as my issues at work with the Olives, Ash trees, Blackberrys... the list goes on

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Take care of yourself mate and come back whenever your ready.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Glad to hear things are back on track

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I worked out the name cos I'm in the same business part time, except I sell woolly used sunlight instead.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

A set for our little Vermeer S600TX at work was A$1200, add in the prancing deer tax and Im guessing little to no change from $2500

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Does anyone make a set of steel tracks to suit your little beasts? Considering just how little time it looks like your machines spend on seal surfaces, a steel track option might be a good one?

Tho if every steel tracked machine i've ever been near is anything to go by, it will scream and screech like an absolute bastard once dirt gets into em

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Thats what our little Vermeer did- Threw a couple of the cross bars, but ours was from running the tracks too loose. Its a fun feeling loosing then because all of a sudden you get this "BANG BUMP BANG BUMP BANG BUMP" as the tracks drop an extra inch or so into the drive sprocket and the sprocket digs into the ground THROUGH the tracks

Even on the vermeer with its 4' wheelbase those tracks are stupidly heavy- took two of us to get the drat things on there.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

A fun trick is to find a spot in a cow paddock not occupied with half a bucket of liquid poo poo and lay down. Count how long it takes for all the cows to gather around you going "WTF is that?"

Then get up and run like your arse is on fire because you failed to see the black Angus bull in the mob and he's bigger than your car!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Used Sunlight sales posted:

They more or less come over in small groups and check you out and then leave you alone.

What did you do for fun growing up?

I grew up on a sheep farm, my neighbours had cattle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

Is it true, what they say about aussies and sheep farms?

You've got us confused with the Kiwi's again :P

I agree bout their parts program- its one of the few that will give toyota's parts system a run for its money (I still cant believe I can buy brand new geunine parts for 20+yr old toyotas!).

Im bitterly dissapointed that work sold their JD front deck mower and bought a pair of Mid Deck Toro Groundmaster 360's- The Deere survived 9 years and 3800hrs of "Oops, its overdue by 300hrs for an oil change, better book it in. Oh gently caress i forgot, its not 420hrs overdue!" servicing and outright abuse and apart from writing off a deck from ramming bollards and trees with it, mechanically the engine and gearbox were as strong as an ox.

The new toro's are proving to be a bit lemony... first one lasted...6hrs and got jammed in reverse because a circlip fell off, then at 50hrs the deck gearbox exploded, at 100hr the factory blades were totally hosed and at 140hrs the fan belt decided to shred itself.

Its not looking promising. Plus toro parts make John deere parts look cheap- Set of 3 blades for a 72" deck Deere? $30 each + $8 for the bolt and washer. Toro? $55 each blade, $10 EACH for the bolt, $3 for the washer!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Natural fire is a good thing for the environment, South Australias just had about quarter of a million hectares of land go up in smoke because fuel loads are getting extreme and fires are uncontrolable.

prescribed burning works good too- we had a fire in a national park that was started by a freight train on a day with a catastrophic fire danger rating- 43 degrees, 60kph northerly winds (hot winds from the desert in the middle of aus) and 8% humidity. Fire took off like a rocket and burnt into on of our prescribed burn areas and practically stopped dead.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

We're just starting our Autumn Burn program here in South Aus- Already done one last week, but the big ones are coming up soon.

We do things a bit differently since we burn scrublands and grass lands, but generally the same business, except we do hose lays... HUGE hose lays. Its always hilarious when the volunteers are getting nervous being 2 or 3 lengths of hose away from their trucks (30m lenghts) and we're trucking away 30-40-50 lengths. But thats because some of the terrain we work in is totally innacessable to vehicles.

All of that loose canvas hose,

Went down a gorge that steep.

Occasionally we use a helicopter to do ignition, This one was done with the flaming dragon, Which is a towed sled that drips Flash 21- Gellified Petrol. AKA Napalm.

Thats about 10 mins after ignition, and about 30 minutes before it turned into a bushfire because of a weather change...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Just as you start we end- Its so wet now nothing will burn without the aid of a Napalm strike, and we even tried that and it didnt work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Used Sunlight sales posted:

The music is Start Your Engines by Ethan Meixsell. It's one of the free ones on youtube.

Speaking of youtube, check this out. http://youtu.be/iJUxwADkAIs

I have a major update brewing soon I think.

Whats with the random white moo?

• Locked thread