Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
This is an awesome thread. You have a pretty cool life and a pretty sweet job.

Used Sunlight sales posted:

So between the land and all the poo poo you need to run the operation, you just inherited four million bucks worth of stuff, say a floating note of about 50k on 8% as operating funds and no debt load. You can't farm less than 1,000 acres and make a living. Imagine you're living your current life, with the money you have in the bank and you get that call, what the gently caress do you do? Know what the taxes are going to be under Obama to transfer those assets? Fifty loving percent if it's under ten million. So now you're on the hook for a tax bill of two million bucks, due RIGHT NOW because, LOL IRS.

Obama actually raised the Estate Tax credit to above $5.25 million so in your scenario you would actually pay $0. And if it was above that, you'd pay 40%. Andrew Carnegie has a lot to say about estate inheritance, specifically that it's good for people to will their assets to charity instead of their kids as to not spoil them. After all, the operative statement in that scenario was "you just got given $4 million worth of stuff."

taking over an operation that will, in an average year cash flow about 100k profit, a bad year, maybe lose a hundred grand.

Doesn't sound very lucrative, why wouldn't you sell? :confused:

The word sustainable, I have a problem with it. I think it means that we have to maintain things in the current hosed up state that they are in. I don't want that, I want things to get better.
I want to be able to look across the hills when I'm 70 and know that I'll be leaving it better than when I found it. We have to stop trying to sustain and start regenerating. Sustainability? Let's talk about that when there's seven billion less people on the planet.

Sustainability doesn't mean "keep things the same" it means "the ability to support life without long-term damage to the ecosystem." So basically it means exactly what you want to do.

You have some really inspiring thoughts about our place in the world, I'd like to hear more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread