Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I found that Carolina Boots are about the best so far.

I was going to mention those. The last pair I bought are Carolinas and have surprisingly little wear on them for the length of time I've had them. By now I'd usually be using them for total slop work and buying another pair for regular duties. They weren't much more than Red Wings and drat they're comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Used Sunlight sales posted:

The broad strokes of the idea is that you can make the cow work for you by encouraging her to do something that she will already do, but do it where you want her to do it and make her think it's a good idea. I generally put the mineral out in a pasture as far away from the water source as I can. That way, they have to walk to get it, and they will walk a great distance to get salt and mineral. If I put out protein tubs with molasses in them? Those 267 cows and calves I have turn into a fleet of bulldozers. They will plow anything aside to get to those tubs.

Most of the roads in my town are said to have been cut by closely placed salt licks and letting the deer do the rest of the work (we're talking early 1800s). I've tried this and it works to some extent. I can imagine if you've got a bunch of somewhat constrained 1500 lb. eating machines that you can convince to walk where you want them to that this would be very effective quickly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

God dammit I might have a bit of a man crush on you after that diatribe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's like the people who say that if we stopped using cattle lands and grew crops on them, we could feed the Earth nothing but green herbs and spices. But they completely forget that you can't grow on every inch of land that a cow can graze off of. Simplest thing to do is to Googlemap 95% of northern Nevada, South East Oregon, and Southern Idaho, toss in some Utah and understand that's all cattle land*. In order to change that over to growing crops, you would have to do such a massive earthmoving project it would be insane.

There's also some pretty solid research that shows grazing animals stop and can actually reverse desertification. Livestock replaces the wild animals that used to serve this function.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic, you're 100% dead on balls accurate.

Is that an industry term?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I tried a couple different 'land anchors' forget what they are called, and there wasn't one that worked in all the conditions that I might encounter in a day. Mud, to sand to high centered and maybe a few more tossed in for good measure.

I've used a few different kinds of production ones and they have all pretty much been poo poo. What has always worked for me is 3 pickets, a sledge hammer, and 50-100 feet of webbing. Hammer two in angled away from the load about 3 feet apart. Wrap the webbing around the two of them as many times as it will go, secure both ends however you like (to the pickets, to each other with a water knot...it doesn't matter). Now take the third one and put it in the middle of the loop you just made between the first two. Spin it until you've cranked all the slack out of the webbing and then hammer it into the ground as well. Pull against the bottom of the forward-most picket.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

From this day on I will feel like a complete sucker when cutting roads with just a bucket. Ho-le-crap that thing is awesome. I had no idea they made a pan that small or that it would work that well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anyone want to guess how much a set of tracks costs for one of those machines? :suicide:

Considering bobcat tracks are $800 a side........It's got to be insane.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Does anyone make a set of steel tracks to suit your little beasts? Considering just how little time it looks like your machines spend on seal surfaces, a steel track option might be a good one?

Tho if every steel tracked machine i've ever been near is anything to go by, it will scream and screech like an absolute bastard once dirt gets into em

Steel tracks are miserable to live with for the reasons you stated and also because the ride quality just sucks, they require MORE maintenance (or you end up with loosey goosey tracks that need to be replaced anyway), and suck rear end in the winter even more than in the summer. Plus it looks like he spends most of his time in the dirt. Steel tracks really shine when you're doing things that rip up rubber ones, like scooting around on ballast stone and crap like that. Rubber is perfect for dirt, and as you mentioned won't tear up tarmac if you need to cross it.

The machine I'm using now (a Bobcat T190) is probably gonna need new tracks in about 200 hours. It currently has almost 700 hours on it When you look at it that way, it's really not so bad. I'd guess that his superior prancing deer tracks will last longer than my downmarket workhorse based on seeing similar machines in person (they have a LOT more meat on them).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You fuckers are making me want a bobcat even though I have no place to use it. Though a skilled operator with a little bit of marketing can easily pay off a used machine in a couple of years with enough work.

I have heard guys to say stay the gently caress away from Case-IH machines though. I have heard nothing but horror stories left and right about their machines.

You know you want some of this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Is that a bobcat or a Mech cockpit? They were way more stripped down when I was running them.

Yeah, this one is awesome. Heat/AC, radio, power "bob-tach" (so you don't even have to get out to change attachments), windshield wiper and washer on the front glass (not on it in that picture), keyless starting where you can set passwords for multiple people on schedules, etc. And the most important feature: ISO controls so no more stupid rear end pedal control of the bucket.

It's a really nice little machine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Whats the control off to the right with the 10 digit key pad?

The keys (password) as well as a gauge pod for things like temp, oil pressure, hours, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vindolanda posted:

We used to think our sheep came running if they saw a grey Land Rover or a Land Rover unloading sacks, but after a while we realised that any Land Rover that ran as roughly as the shepherd's would bring them post haste.

That lines up with the horses I used to keep. They all knew the sound of the pickup that drug them around/showed up shortly before they got fed and would come running to the barn when they heard it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Getting caught running red fuel turns into a huge goatfuck.

I've never even been inspected, and I run the correct color fuel anyway.

You can't get away with a farm exemption (which exempts you from inspection as well) like we do in PA?

But, yeah....you're pretty hosed if you get dipped at a DOT check point with red fuel. But in reality, you usually end up hosed at a DOT checkpoint anyway in my experience....and I don't drive junk....I'm talking about things like getting slammed for leftover oil on the frame AFTER you've fixed the leak and it's obviously dry/no source can be found/clean part above the oil.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Good thing Rover doesn't make heavy trucks for the US :v:

I'm almost positive Mack has some connection to Land Rover. It may not be official, but they sure leak the right way.

And the goddamn parts prices.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

Is there a twin sticks for dummies website that will explain to me how that craziness works? I mean I think I get that there's a low and a high side for each gear, but I couldn't figure out how to get thru the gears (or what order to move thru them) if you put me in one.

It's easy. You shift each side this way:

Then multiple the right stick by the left minus 1 to figure out which gear you're in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know really nothing about skid steers, I can manage my way around a tractor though. I cant imagine poo poo being to different.

They are different, but it should 't be anything you can't pick up without damage and in a few days of operating one if you know how to run equipment (meaning you know how to inch up to limits rather than being a retard and breaking/rolling poo poo) and are familiar with what you are using (as in, you've run a tracked vehicle before if this skid loader is tracked).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/hvo/4074969996.html

its not tracked, its old, but it could be mine for next to nothing. But if the hydraulics aren't leaking like sieves, the motor is strong, and the rest of the drive train isnt hosed, it would be the deal of the century.

I'm not really sure what you do with a wheel loader other than load trucks with materials in a yard. It's really not any good for actual digging, as you can't reasonably get on a pile without tracks. Or at least you shouldn't be. I dont' even think it've ever even seen a toothed bucket on one.

And those old ones usually can't even make it over the sides of a triaxle.

That's why it's so cheap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is that one of those little pieces of crap I see on the docks in LA an TX? I always thought those thing were awesome (and cheap enough), but don't have enough land to play with to make one useful.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'd love to get one but they aren't road legal in many states for some reason.

There's a state that they are road legal in? I don't think any of the motors have been "federalized", so I'm pretty sure it's a no-go regardless.

I just see a lot of them for sale cheap on the docks. Looks like they'd make a nice farm/ranch runabout.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks - Legal everywhere but the interstate in some states, legal on low speed only roads in others or not at all legal.

Oh, that's awesome. I didn't realize they were allowed as something other than a passenger vehicle.

But, my state still doesn't allow it, dammit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

"Located on a natural island with an area in excess of 20,000 acres and that is within a county having a population in excess of 4,000,000."

This is an interesting qualification for California.

That is likely a very specific place, but they are not allowed to name municipalities in legislation of this type.

It threw me for a loop before I realized that my state is the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have a bit of a dilemma.

Having spent a lot of years on the meat wagon (I was a paramedic) I don't need to see any more of that, so my opinion may be different than most. But my first question would be: how the hell would you feel if you were that guy? My guess is not happy. And I'm betting this is nothing novel......it's just another bog standard accident and injury that's been posted and posted plenty of times before. Why be "that guy?"

• Locked thread