Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Ever seen a machine with tracks at full power in reverse still sliding downhill? No? I have seen it from the drivers seat.

Where I am we sometimes take out rhododendrons by sliding a big forestry tractor down a hill. It's all steep clay here, and those big machines can get going FAST in the wet. One rolled a few years ago, thankfully the one forester who wears his seatbelt, and I think we had to build a road to get in all the kit to winch it back upright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I have to wonder why the windows aren't polycarbonate in the first place? I know it scratches easily, but bomb-blast or anti-vandal film fixes that.

I asked one of the foresters around us about having lexan windows, and he said he'd prefer ones he could kick out, since where we are the terrain can cause rollovers easily. Not sure if that's the reason the manufacturers have.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I think that cows find food with their noses, the eyes are mostly work like a close range search radar. What attracts them most is noise. I can make a recording of the sound of the feeder running, sounding like it's dropping feed on the ground, play it on a boombox in the middle of the pasture while riding a four wheeler and they will come running to me. When they get there they are a little confused though....

We used to think our sheep came running if they saw a grey Land Rover or a Land Rover unloading sacks, but after a while we realised that any Land Rover that ran as roughly as the shepherd's would bring them post haste.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

kastein posted:

Basically.

They just add red dye to make it easier to detect people cheating the system. Running used ATF in a diesel is a good way to get the evil eye as well, a few people have fallen foul of DOT checkpoints in old mil surplus trucks while doing that.

Filtering and selling diesel is what the IRA have moved into, now they can't pretend not to be simply criminals. It's big business across the Irish border.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Charcoal kitchen extractor hood filters may or may not filter certain dyes remarkably well :ninja:

During the war the UK issued petrol for certain permitted uses, which was dyed red. People apparently used their gas mask charcoal filters to remove the dye, and a few people were caught because they were buying up gas masks and someone noticed.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

AcidRonin posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you power with the solar panels? I would assume buildings on the ranch? Also how does one win the "Excellence in Grazing Management Award" because the son of a bitch is mine this year.

Yeah - I've got no cows and lots of grass, surely I've managed my grazing best? (wrong country though)

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

rscott posted:

Bull wins that I think.

Does the brush saw still count as "short of" shooting it?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

A chap I went to school withs' father was a fire chief up in the highlands, meaning in this case that he spent most of his time burning heather - used to be great fun sitting on the back of the quad with a drip torch, trying to outrun the flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Not sure if you covered this, but why don't you use an elastrator or burdizzo? Is it a thing specific to cattle, or is there some other reason?

• Locked thread