Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My beef with GMO products is poo poo like Terminator seeds and the effects that they have on nearby crops; the seeds produce infertile plants, but they can reduce the fertility rate of anything downwind by dusting it with infertile pollen. Then there's the whole mess of patenting organisms that shouldn't be allowed but Monsanto pays off the politicians :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Wrar posted:

What's the advantage of taking the trees down?

Cedar trees are thirsty motherfuckers and if you care about how much water is in your soil you'll probably be on a never ending quest to rid your land of them. They're like the weeds of trees.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I'm from South Texas and can almost 100% guarantee our friend circles don't overlap. I know some ranchers/landowners around here and have read studies showing that taking the cedar out of a chunk of land surrounding creeks increases the amount of water that runs down them (and into your watering tanks) with the same rain coverage. We don't get much rain down here so every bit of water management is precious. Oaks are pretty benign and give lots more shade than cedars, so they're left to form windbreaks; you can also burn oak in a fireplace, cedar will make you sick.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

leica posted:

But cedar is good for making planks then grilling fish on them :colbert:

Depending on where you live, "cedar" is probably a different species than what I'm talking about, which is mostly Ash Juniper (called mountain cedar) or Eastern Red Cedar; neither of those species have a pleasant smell when burnt and in the case of Eastern Red, are known to contain toxic oils :downs:.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
This may not be appropriate, and I certainly don't know anything about alcoholism, but it seems strange that there's no middle ground where you can have a few responsibly and not go on a bender.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

AcidRonin posted:

DO you just not have criminals in the country? Who the gently caress is patrolling the use of your "farm use only desiel" card? I never thought i wanted to move to the midwest untill this thread.

People do get pulled over and have their tanks dipped, though I don't think it happens too often to people driving smaller diesels (anything that can be driven without a CDL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Yeah, include me on that warning list.

• Locked thread