Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Yeah. I think you'd be a bit hard pressed to find anyone actively breeding Rotties for stock work or farm work. And if you don't actively breed for it, you lose it. I suspect that most Rotties are many generations removed from that type of work. Moving a few goats around might be feasible, as many have retained at least a bit of their herding instinct. But as Fraction said, if you want a working dog, you might have more success elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Yeah, I don't think there's anyone breeding rotts exclusively for herding. But it's definitely possible to find a breeder that does some level of herding with them, if you have your heart set on the breed. Depends on how much stock you put in herding trials, I guess but here's an example of a breeder who does some: http://www.esmondrott.com/beckham.htm

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.

Weltlich posted:

Cattledogs default to filthy. Any time Reggie and I go to the Barnyard, and it's above 60 degrees outside, he immediately jumps into the duck pond, then goes and rolls in a field that's just been plowed.

This made me laugh really hard, because just yesterday I was walking with my parents around a drainage pond that they tend to use as a makeshift off-leash area, and at one point Pepper went running through a bunch of shallow water, made a beeline back up to me and high-fived my shorts with her dirty paws. She loves getting dirty. And rolling around, especially on rough surfaces.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think if a Rottweiler is going to be unavailable, the next choice is going to be a Black Mouth Cur. Far more widely available in and more suited to Florida ( not to say that a Rott was any better suited then the English). They are more often Cattle and hunting (mostly hawg dawggin) dogs though, maybe a bit too intense for goat work. I dunno, I would have to visit some breeders and trainers.

...But wait, we have someone who might know about hawg dawggin, though I dare not invoke her name.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 13, 2015

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Wouldn't a hunting dog be more likely to hunt a prey thing than herd a prey thing? :raise:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fraction posted:

Wouldn't a hunting dog be more likely to hunt a prey thing than herd a prey thing? :raise:

Normally, yes, but y'see, poo poo's weird in the swamps. Here's a decent article on how super-tough Lacy and Catahoula dogs would work pigs.

https://workinglacys.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/cur-dog-herding/

quote:

“The breed developed when livestock were turned loose to fend for themselves, then were rounded up for market or branding. ... Stragglers were picked out by the dogs and forced into a ‘fight.’ Distressed screams from the enraged boar brought the other hogs, especially the lead boar, to the rescue with champing jaws and raised back-bristles. The dogs then turned and ran, escaping the slashing tusks, just fast enough to tantalize the hogs into continuing the chase, which soon led directly into the waiting hog pens. The Catahoula deftly jumped the back fence, and the hogs were trapped.

Not what i'm looking for, obviously (holy poo poo I do not want a Lacy). But there are gentler family lines of curs, or just ones lacking aggressiveness around cows. Loose eye, body blocking style herders with smarts and athleticism. The trick is sussing them out. And that means I gotta get off my butt and into the swamps some.

It might be easier to find the herding rottie at that point. Oh well. I did say this was a long term project. I should probably get my own goats first instead of running after my boss's. Gotta find my Old Yeller (and be sure to keep him up to date on his rabies)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 17, 2015

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

A friend of a friend of a friend sort of person has offered to let me take Kalli to see his sheeps, and see how she interacts with/what she wants to do with them :aaa: I don't actually know if I should do it or not. It'd be super neat to see how much interest/instinct she has, but it seems mean to show her sheep and then say 'lol u never get to work sheep, sux 2 b u.' I don't think the guy would let me work her on his sheep, even for payment...

Theo and Kalli by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Theo and Kalli by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Theo by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Fraction posted:

A friend of a friend of a friend sort of person has offered to let me take Kalli to see his sheeps, and see how she interacts with/what she wants to do with them :aaa: I don't actually know if I should do it or not. It'd be super neat to see how much interest/instinct she has, but it seems mean to show her sheep and then say 'lol u never get to work sheep, sux 2 b u.' I don't think the guy would let me work her on his sheep, even for payment...

FWIW with both my dogs we're 80% sure one has been an actual real working dog (Max) and the other we know for sure has never done an actual day of real dog work in his life (Pistol).

On a walk one time we encountered some cows. Max got all uppity and anxious that there were COWS and he needed to DO SOMETHING with them but he couldn't because I had him on a leash. Pistol was interested in the cows but when it was time to stop looking at them and move on he was like "ok whatever" while Max kept trying to pull back towards them. If she's never actually had a herding job I think she won't get too upset about seeing sheep but not being able to really do anything with them but she'll probably be interested in looking at them.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Fraction posted:

Sterling got to visit sheep pretty early on when I took him down to my grandparents farm. He was certainly keen, lots of boofboof and practically vibrating with alertness. Then the sheep (who were worked by dogs) started flocking in response to his boofing and I hurried him away. He didn't really seem to care about that and calmed down once we started moving on. Go take her out and see what it's like, just don't let her chase them like a dick.

SpankyG
May 8, 2010
What is the best way to curb herding instinct for cars? I live in a back neighborhood of a suburban area, so the traffic isn't moving too fast, but my 5-month old ACD goes bonkers for them. I'm just worried about when we're at other places close to higher traffic/speed areas. Her recall is kind of nonexistent when something awesome, big, shiny, and fast is flying by. I keep her on leash when we're near roads, but I'm still worried about her running off when we're playing ball somewhere and getting hit. My family is pushing for a shock collar, but I only wanna do that as a last resort.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Try tugging to redirect when a car goes by. And generally step up the focus and self control games. Check out Susan Garrett's free Recallers Critical Core that she's releasing shortly to those who sign up. It's access to how-to files on crate games, Its Yer Choice and other awesome self control type games that, eventually, could be applicable to your car chasing issues. http://www.brilliantrecalls.com/freecallers-sneak-peak.html

SpankyG
May 8, 2010
Signed up! I'll give that a shot. Thanks! She's done pretty well with focus and self control games in her obedience classes, but I'll have to spend some extra time on them in our sessions at home. This is my first herding dog, and the experience has been pretty intense. The family has always had Scottish Terriers, which for the most part, have been pretty chill. She has an infinite amount of energy. Even after playing fetch, and hiking several miles!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My way of tackling it with my pup was to take him everywhere where there's fast cars before he could go down on the floor and reward him whenever they whizzed past. Then, when he started going down on the ground, reward reward reward.

He tried lunging for one once, and got corrected very hard with the leash. (If you do punish, it needs to be strong enough that you should only have to do it 1-2 times at most) Next one that whizzed past, he paused and glanced up at me and got a jackpot reward. 14 wk old now and no reaction at all to cars, but I still reward him for eye contact in fast high traffic areas.

As well as tugging, I'd work on a watch me cue in different settings, then bring that to traffic areas. Start small - go somewhere where cars are going slowly by, and not many of them, and work your way up. Good luck. Car chasing is one of the most frustrating and difficult things to deal with and it's v common in herders.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey would lunge constantly at cars when I first got him. I would, first and foremost, encourage you to keep him on a leash as long as you are working on this issue for his safety and your peace of mind.

I ended up walking primarily during low traffic times and in low traffic areas and bringing very good treats (if your dog likes tugs, bring one and use it instead). I would ask him to sit, facing me, and treat him repeatedly as the car went by (in your instance you could play a really good game of tug with his favorite tug). If he's having a hard time handling that, get farther away from traffic, and then try again. Basically, distance, how exciting the thing is, and how exciting you are all can factor in. If he's so wound up he can't sit, but looks at you, reward him with a game of tug for that initially and work from there. The goal is to teach him that cars are loving boring, and he gets away better poo poo by tuning them out and tuning in to you.

It took me about 6+ months, but my dog was also older and had a lifetime to develop and practice these habits.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
I apparently need to shoot more...

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^ You definitely do, bc I can't remember her name at all! How old is she now? Looks well into the awkward phase :3:

Speaking of (p)updates...

Theo, Lola and Kalli by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Lola, Theo and Kalli by straygiraffe, on Flickr

He's got an annoying tendency to hunch up in photos, so he looks smaller than he is. He's HUGE now! And not even 4mo yet.

And here's some of Kalli being Kalli.

Kalli by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I do not have a fancy camera or a fancy trick dog but I took some 10 month old progress pics for the breeder and I RECKON MY DOG IS PRETTY RAD ANYWAY :colbert:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
What's this? Where's your ball? Go get it!

I say this to all your dogs.

Edit: Oops here's a pic:

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 6, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I love border collies. They're too smart though. Idk if I want a dog that's smarter than I am

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I feel like having border collies is like dogs on cheat mode since they're so smart and trainable.

It's far more rewarding to to bend a stubborn assdog to your will IMO. Lots more frustrating too though.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I love border collies but would never own one unless I could exercise them for ages every day or had a farm. All my grandparents' farm dogs were working border collies and they were just amazing. When I was little I used to trot about the front few paddocks of the farm under the careful eye of their main dog King, and I felt like such a DOG MASTER because he would follow me and sit when I asked him to.

He also used to flinch if you raised your hand too quickly because his dickhead first owner used violent training methods (Granddad knew him and saw him in action). It was especially sweet looking back because my Granddad, for all that he is a very gruff guy, was very gentle with the dogs and I think he found it quietly rewarding to pick up 'problem' working dogs and rehabilitate them.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Tell me about it. I used to exercise her by letting her chase a remote control car. Had to be careful because she'd run herself to death if I let her go too hard for too long. She'd lie down for half an hour and be ready to go again straight away. At house parties she would chase the ball all night. We used to do 10-15km (an hour or two) of cycling per day. I could never tire her out completely, after a nap she'd be ready to do it all again.

She's 6 years old now and we seem to be able to get away with half an hour of fetch and 45 minutes of walking, and she'd happily do much more. Energizer should've chosen these guys as their mascot.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
Solmu turned 19 weeks on Sunday. This is her then (photo Rixatrix)

I now have two working bred BCs. I'll say nothing of Solmu (means Knot), but her mom TyTy is super chill. She'll work or play endlessly, but chill at home like a champ even with lesser exercise if required. I basically never toss a ball to her unless it is as a reward for a job well done.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
We should really try to go herding soon with TyTy. Her sister will be competing at the English Nationals in August, which is quite an accomplishment already for Jazz and Anni. They've been quite successful at trials recently for instance fifth place finish at Deerplay Hill double gather.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Tamarillo posted:

I do not have a fancy camera or a fancy trick dog but I took some 10 month old progress pics for the breeder and I RECKON MY DOG IS PRETTY RAD ANYWAY :colbert:

Oh my god that is adorable. I just want to dig my fingers into that mane-apron of floof and scritch away until his/her leg starts to do the wiggly thing.

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

Tomorrow my boyfriend and I are picking up a bearded collie mix from the rescue and are super excited! She is almost 2, and originally we had been looking at puppies, but when we met her we fell in love. She is a big fluffy goofball and we can't wait to get her into some agility training and scent work. She's also a scaredy cat. Her previous owners adopted her from the rescue a year ago, but kept her inside all the time and didn't take her out very often, so she isn't very well socialized and has a hard time with new things. When they brought her over for a home visit she found a cat ball with some feathers on it and very cautiously sniffed it, shaking the whole time, until she decided it was alright and claimed it as hers. We are hoping that teaching her some tricks and getting her into agility will help raise her confidence.

Anyways, this thread has had some super helpful information on how to help keep her active and engaged, and gotten us really excited to take home a herding dog.

Here are some pictures of Remy from the rescue. Before surrendering her, the previous owner got her groomed for the summer, and that's when these were taken. Her fur has grown out a bit since then and she is starting to look more like a mop. I will have to post some more pictures once we bring her home.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do you think maybe her mop-like appearance is part of why she's acting timid in new places? If her hair is in her eyes she can't see very well, so that combined with new places/people/things could be very overwhelming.

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Do you think maybe her mop-like appearance is part of why she's acting timid in new places? If her hair is in her eyes she can't see very well, so that combined with new places/people/things could be very overwhelming.

I can see how that might contribute, but I don't think that is the case. Her foster right now fostered her the first time around too, and was also her boarder over the last year while she was at her last home. Remy's previous owner didn't do much with her, but did at least keep her well groomed, and while she is turning back into a mop right now, her foster mom keeps her beard and face trimmed. Her eyes are super black so they are hard to see with all that fuzz on her face, but they aren't obstructed in any way. Basically, her foster mom has seen the behavioral changes in her over the last couple years, and being a dog trainer as well, is pretty confident it has to do with her being confined all the time and not well socialized. From what we know, her last owner worked at the white house, worked super long hours, and kept Remy crated most of the time by herself. So she didn't get a lot of toys, didn't meet a lot of people or dogs, and never got to explore or wander and engage with her surroundings. This supposedly not only led to her confidence issues, but also to barking and separation anxiety.

Luckily I work part time, so she won't have to be alone very often and we have plenty of time to train her and build her confidence back up so she can be a brave doggy in new situations. Also, hopefully having the cat around will help with her separation anxiety some as well, if they manage to bond with each other. Then they will both a have a friend to keep them company.

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

Finally brought Remy home. Good thing we got most of her stuff before today because the pet store was super crowded and loud when we picked her up and she has just been GOGOGO! since we got her. After playing for a couple hours, she is finally starting to chill out, and while occasionally getting excited about things, seems to be settling in for a nap. The poor cat tried to meet us by the door when we got home, but is now hiding safe in the bed.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Suspect Bucket posted:

Anyone here have experienced with loose eyed, boundary herding styles? Particularly with something like a Rottweiler? I started reading about herding rotties and now it's all I think about when I have to move the goats around the tiny 'allowed' area they can graze. Or trying to get them out of the pen one at a time to milk. I work on a small farm, and hope to have one of my own some day.

The ultimate goal would be to have a multi-role farm dog, capable of helping with moving stock and keeping them relatively in place, keeping an eye on the perimeter (a light LGD role, just knowing that these are OUR goats and he should let me know if anyone's coming to bother them), but also be friendly to people and kids coming on to the farm through the main gate.

Is this an achievable thing, or do I have my head in the working dog clouds?

A herding-bred German Shepherd would work extremely well for your purposes imo. They're an upright, loose eyed tender with good guarding instincts and were originally bred for exactly what you're describing though they traditionally work hundreds of sheep. Tending breeds are honestly pretty rare now. the Germans, French, and Belgians historically used them frequently but most breeds have either been re purposed now that fences are A Thing or are extremely endangered now. Bouvier des Flandres, Briards, Pulis, Beaceron, Groenendaels, ,Tervuren, and Pyrenean Shepherds are all tending breeds but you'll probably be extremely hard pressed to find ones out of proven herding stock. without importing from the EU. Also many of those breeds are a serious handful, even more so than a GSD.

Get a German Shepherd.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Pretty pretty princess

Not so pretty pretty

Eyes on the prize

I like this one for reasons. It feels sort of 80s to me.

Modern art

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I saw that dog in YouTube videos. Your dog is really neat :neckbeard:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
TyTy with the sheepies. After a long pause. I should probably start training her properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acyVqQNLiY8

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Just joined the new puppy crew with an 8 week old ACD.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Jymmybob posted:

What is pup's name? Also we are going to need approximately a million more pictures of that freckly little sharkpup :3:

ACD puppies are so drat cute I can't even stand it :kimchi:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am incredibly biased but ACDs are the best dogs and the cutest puppies.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Jymmybob posted:

Congrats on the beautiful new terror hound. ACDs are the awesomest but in puppy form they are a constant whirlwind of energy and destruction. Adorable energy and destruction, but still.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What is pup's name? Also we are going to need approximately a million more pictures of that freckly little sharkpup :3:

ACD puppies are so drat cute I can't even stand it :kimchi:

We just settled on Lily and she's pretty much perfect. She's already more trained than most of our friends dogs by this point and she's getting better every day. The breeder was a backyard-type but her parents were great dogs and she has tons of terrific symmetrical markings, even the side spots match. Here's a couple more pictures in one of her 3 activities: sleep, chewing, and running.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
ugh that puppy is so loving cute

i really want an acd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
I have a 3 year old Border Collie/Black Lab and an almost 1 year old Border Collie/ Jack Russel and they are both awesome :)

• Locked thread