Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

cooldude2.0 posted:

Does I am a Hero get less frustrating? After page 50 of "hey why are you biting me?! stop!" I just want everyone to die. I wish it was set in a universe where zombie stories and common sense existed.

Who in their right mind would instantly assume biting -> zombie apocalypse. Not everyone in the world is a sperg like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention I think most people would be in kind of a state of shock/disbelief if their girlfriend had just tried to eat them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
For a zombie plague to spread, it basically requires nobody to know what's going on. If everyone instantly executed those who showed symptoms and enacted quarantines the story wouldn't happen. But normal people aren't crazy enough to assume that biting = zombie and kill their family.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slime posted:

For a zombie plague to spread, it basically requires nobody to know what's going on. If everyone instantly executed those who showed symptoms and enacted quarantines the story wouldn't happen.
I can think of a couple of zombie stories where an instant quarantine happens. The original Dead Rising, for instance.

That said zombies in that game spread by bee sting or something, so.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

cooldude2.0 posted:

Does I am a Hero get less frustrating? After page 50 of "hey why are you biting me?! stop!" I just want everyone to die. I wish it was set in a universe where zombie stories and common sense existed.

Nope, it also never gets less boring. For something I was sold as being such a different take on the zombie genre it's the same old song and dance as older zombie movies.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
The MC is clearly in shock, I'll grant that. I guess no one in Japan watches any form of news, or if they do it's only to ogle the news lady. And apparently they send out the SDF before sending the populace a text to look out for, hell, "suspicious individuals" would be enough.

This was the second time I tried reading it, and I got a little further, but I guess it's not for me. Maybe I'm being too picky but I've read a couple hundred other manga without getting similarly annoyed.
e: yeah, kind of boring too. It was getting old skimming over all the walls of text

Also started Suicide Island, which I'm liking, but I'll have to read it in segments. It's a little too tense and hosed to marathon, plus I can't just spend my whole weekend reading manga.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I am a hero finally picks up at around chapter 70 or so. I was extremely disappointed in it until then, as I'm a huge fan of the author's other work (Boys on the Run and Ressentiment).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
By the way, I Am Missing (geez the original title is so long) has had, i think, two new updates since the last time it was discussed in the thread.

We're back to the present! And the Girl decides to falcon punch someone right in the face.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

No Wave posted:

I am a hero finally picks up at around chapter 70 or so. I was extremely disappointed in it until then, as I'm a huge fan of the author's other work (Boys on the Run and Ressentiment).

I am a hero's earlier chapters were amazing. Not just for it's satirical take on the conformist society of Japan and on the zombie genre as a whole, but I don't think I've seen a Zombie apocalypse that happens in real time like this. Sure it takes forever to get going, but it's hysterical to see our goony, schizophrenic mess of a protagonist fail to warn and protect other people when he already knows that zombies are a thing. It's the dumbest thing before it starts to get meta as hell. If you aren't already reading this, I suggest starting at around chapter 6, then going back to read it all because there is a whole lot of padding before stuff starts happening. It's not bad filler or anything, it's just that it takes a surprisingly long time for the first zombie to appear.

cooldude2.0 posted:

I am a Hero isn't a serious take on the zombie genre at all, and you shouldn't treat it as such. Not until it starts getting meta at least.

Also Suicide Island is incredible. I've finally caught up to the latest chapter and it's been one heck of a ride.

cooldude2.0 posted:

The MC is clearly in shock, I'll grant that. I guess no one in Japan watches any form of news, or if they do it's only to ogle the news lady. And apparently they send out the SDF before sending the populace a text to look out for, hell, "suspicious individuals" would be enough.

Wait, you mean this totally accurate depiction of Japan which has the hosts of a news show yelling out "BOOOOOOOB MORNING" isn't aiming to be believable? Noooooo, you don't say. It's such a ham-fisted and obvious way of criticising Japan's corrupt and hedonist society that there's no way to take it seriously. Also if you've read I am a Hero at all, you'd know that the protagonist isn't just suffering from shock, but rather some sort of mental illness. Which none of the other characters seem to acknowledge. It's pretty great.

codeorange fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 29, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

HenryEx posted:

By the way, I Am Missing (geez the original title is so long) has had, i think, two new updates since the last time it was discussed in the thread.

We're back to the present! And the Girl decides to falcon punch someone right in the face.

It was a great punch. I'm not sure how it's supposed to accomplish anything other than making the evil manager dude even more likely to go to the police, though.

I am hoping for another time leap, soon; I don't see how Satoru is anything other than totally hosed without one, and I want him to save the girl. :(

The name: is probably the most awkward awkward-long-form-Japanese-title I have ever seen, after "Sora O Miageru Shoujo No Hitomi Ni Utsuru Sekai".

No Wave posted:

It's kinda funny, in that I love I Am A Hero like little else, but Ressentiment left me so cold I got halfway through and just skipped to the end.

codeorange posted:

I am a Hero isn't a serious take on the zombie genre at all, and you shouldn't treat it as such. Not until it starts getting meta at least.

Yeah, IAAH is a comedy. I would have thought that'd be obvious, because, well

but I guess I've missed more obvious and more important things before.

The world's blinkered obliviousness to what's going on is one long, glorious running gag.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 31, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was with ya Ressentiment, until (semi-NWS spoilers I guess???)this page. C'mon, I thought you were better than that. I hope that doesn't become an actual plot point, if it's just a cheap visual gag, that's fine.

edit: I'm not going to stop reading it. But my eyes rolled right out of my head and down the stairs.

Rest of it loving rules though. Except the ending was...abrupt. And hokey as poo poo.

edit: gently caress it I didn't like that ending at all(specific things were incredible and you know what I'm talking about) but as a whole it all felt so rushed. Most everything before it was great though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 31, 2013

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, IIAM is a comedy. I would have thought that'd be obvious, because, well
I guess that explains why I don't like it, I didn't find it amusing. You're not wrong to like it as a comedy, but I'm not wrong to dislike it as annoying. All comedies tread that line.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: wrong thread~

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 31, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bunch of new I Am A Hero chapters, pretty awesome.
I think we're returning to the main protagonist after this? Not sure if the shut-in protagonist died or got defeated, but it was pretty epic and hilarious watching the great Battle of the Naked Emperors.
RIP Emperor Two Shovels. :(

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Huh? He became the new "Kurusu" obviously

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dang, I love the blow-by-blow way I Am A Hero handles the zombie apocalypse. I really wish I hadn't been spoiled on it and had been told to go in blind because I really just adore the first volume and how it handles it all. I've recommended it to over a dozen people so far and after mentioning it wasn't what it seems to someone he said "inb4 zombies". And then there actually were.

I enjoyed most of the rest of it too, though honestly I kinda really don't care about anyone other than the main dude and his crew, who currently completely rule and I absolutely love Yabu's attitude. The switching focus to the Kusuru crew for as long as it's been, 31 drat chapters, is a bit jarring. It ain't bad, but it ain't the main dude and co. I really love the way he depicts the infection and the infected's view of things, or at least Hiromi's, and the way her body seems to be playing tug-of-war with the infection. Probably one of my favorite scenes in the whole thing was when Yabu pulls the nail out of Hiromi's head and it's represented in her mind by a massive plant covered in aliens and paranormal creatures invading her world, but suddenly being uprooted and disappearing into the heavens.

The artwork is just so good. It kinda sucks when they are REALLY obvious about the tracing(or just slapping a filter on a cityscape and calling it a day, or sometimes not even that and just straight up using photos) but I'm guessing that's probably due to deadlines sometimes. Everything about the people and zombies is just so well done/horrifying/sad. It's definitely the sort of series where you KNOW any sort of victory is going to be followed Bad Things Happening.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I made a thread for I Am A Hero discussion/reactions because I feel like at this point it's past the "miscellaneous" status. I seriously never would have seen it if I hadn't come here for something else, and hopefully it's a good enough thread with not TOO much misdirection. Plus there's some stuff that's good discussion and theoryfodder in some of the later chapters.

Edit: So the vibe I get from I Am Missing from the first chapter is it's sorta Early Edition: The Manga.

Except instead of a newspaper and a cat, the protagonist has a spunky high school girl.

edit: okay it's definitely not like that and WOW it's an intense series, my heart was pounding ever since he went back a bit too far.

I'm in the middle of chapter 12 and this came up in my youtube playlist, which immediately made me grin ear to ear(link is spoilery to the story, so it's tagged): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnX5Q2bLgd4&list=PLBAF092AADC29B9D4 and I am still tense as gently caress as they open the door to the house and I am FULLY expecting something horrific to happen at any second now

edit: I KNEW IT

edit: gently caress THIS SERIES

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 3, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, remember that Shaft anime from 3 years ago called Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru? The manga releases were modestly popular, but the last one was in June 2011. Well, a whole shitload of new ones were just posted.

E: Looks like they got taken down. Still up on kissmanga, though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 11, 2013

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Boku wa Mari no Naka is a body swap manga as imagined by Oshimi Shuzo (guy behind flowers of evil), it's just started picking up speed

unless you want to wait for it in glorious rotoscape

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Oh hey, remember that Shaft anime from 3 years ago called Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru? The manga releases were modestly popular, but the last one was in June 2011. Well, a whole shitload of new ones were just posted.

Oh cool, I wonder if the scanlators stopped because jmanga picked it up, in any case it's awesome to see more of it.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 10, 2013

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I really hope shaft animates more of it, it's one of my favorites they've done and you don't even have to pause it constantly

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Well seeing that Shaft did a second season of Maria Holic, it's pretty likely that they'll do another season of Soredemo too. But then again, it has been three years and we can't have nice things.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hah, Soredemo was the only reason I ever bought into Jmanga. The only reason I was sad it went under, too. Speaking of which, those new chapters on Batoto are all from Jmanga's run, except some scanlating group's slapped their stuff all over it, complete with a 'staff needed' ad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh man chapter 65 :qq: Yeah, I'm definitely the camp that would like another season of this.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vesi posted:

Boku wa Mari no Naka is a body swap manga as imagined by Oshimi Shuzo (guy behind flowers of evil), it's just started picking up speed

I think we can see what game the author has been playing rather a lot of. :darksouls:

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

Hah, Soredemo was the only reason I ever bought into Jmanga. The only reason I was sad it went under, too. Speaking of which, those new chapters on Batoto are all from Jmanga's run, except some scanlating group's slapped their stuff all over it, complete with a 'staff needed' ad.

Wait, so that scanslating group kisu isn't the people who made the translations? It's kind of lovely that they'd take the credit for work that isn't their own.

What's even stranger is that the new chapters on Batoto are all gone. You can find them all on kissmanga, as well as the other manga hosting websites.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vesi posted:

While I've not seen/read Flowers of Evil yet, I've heard nothing but unsettling things about it, so that combined with the very conspicuous lack of a "romance" tag under the genre list for this series made me expect bad(good) things. Certainly a different take on the body swap idea, at least, though I think it could really, really do without showing me a high school girl's menstrual blood-soaked pubes. Other than that, it's intriguing, though it moves at a fairly slow pace. Is it a monthly series? 20 pages for a monthly series seems a bit low.

I've got conflicting opinions on Yori, which I like in a character. On the one hand, she's justified in having her fury in that the person she idolizes, or who is possibly her friend/crush(no concrete confirmation either way yet) has suddenly been completely mentally replaced by what she considers the worst sort of person. On the other hand, she's unleashing that fury on said person pretty unjustifiably just because they've been thrust into this situation and then when that person reacts (admittedly in a grotesque way) to her absolutely ceaseless abuse and cruelty and says a single horrible thing back, she shuts down completely. She reaped what she sowed in this case by not giving Isao even an ounce of respect and, unless I missed something, expecting him to act like Mari in every way when he has no idea how. She's also kinda weird and stalker-ey herself, though I'm sure it'll delve deeper into why later. She's an interesting character in herself, but I find myself not really caring until the main plot moves along a little bit more, especially if it's a monthly series. Likely something I'll just drop for now and pick up once there's another 20-30 chapters, it's pretty good, but not something I'd want to follow chapter-to-chapter I don't think.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

codeorange posted:

Wait, so that scanslating group kisu isn't the people who made the translations? It's kind of lovely that they'd take the credit for work that isn't their own.

What's even stranger is that the new chapters on Batoto are all gone. You can find them all on kissmanga, as well as the other manga hosting websites.

Not so surprising those chapters're gone if they just slapped their own names on the Jmanga rips. Batato's more strict than the other hosting sites about stuff like that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Not so surprising those chapters're gone if they just slapped their own names on the Jmanga rips. Batato's more strict than the other hosting sites about stuff like that.

Then again, what are people to do with the Jmanga stuff? If it's not archived somewhere, then it's just lost to the ether, right? And if nobody is picking up Jmanga's licenses, what's the sort of situation for the license, then? Do they go back to being unlicensed, and if so, what of the stuff Jmanga translated?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nate RFB posted:

E: Looks like they got taken down. Still up on kissmanga, though.

Awesome! I just love Soredemo, the drawing style is just kind of cute and innately appealing to me, in addition to being really good expressive art. I also like how most of the chapters don't even really involve the maid cafe gimmick and are just amusing tales about the colorful characters that live around town. It's a really good manga. :)

EDIT: Oh dear God, the ending of chapter 42. :stonk:

EDIT2: Oh gosh, the chapters exploring the relationship between Lobstergirl and Hotori's younger brother are soooo adorable! I could die!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 11, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Soredemo reminds me a lot of Persona 4, minus the whole serial killer / entering TVs thing (though it gets plenty surreal at times anyway). A bunch of good friends, old and young, having fun in a little town which is a character in of itself.

Aaaaaand now I'm caught up again. Guess it's time for another 2 year wait.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Vesi posted:

I started on the first chapter before, and stopped because I assumed it would be going in a pretty typical direction. I gave it another go because of this, and wow it's pretty great. It does a really good job of showing just how bizarre and uncomfortable that kind of situation would be. I really want more chapters to be out already.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

This has a pretty interesting first (and second?) chapter: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ib-Instant-Bullet/Ch-001a--Hero-and-Villian?id=174870 I'm curious where it will go from here.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Suicide Island is back with the next volume!

Thank you for letting me know about this, really enjoy this manga.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Apocalypse no Toride got an update. oh my god

Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten all about this manga. I forgot how crazy it was.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Silento posted:

This has a pretty interesting first (and second?) chapter: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ib-Instant-Bullet/Ch-001a--Hero-and-Villian?id=174870 I'm curious where it will go from here.
I tried giving that a chance, but once I read the first chapter and realized it was the millionth "magical girl shows up out of nowhere to enlist guy in her battle against a dark force" manga, I was just like "NO MORE!". I'm not sure I can handle any more of those, only like .01% of them end up being Hoshi no Samidare quality (and I'm not even sure that fits since it's a lizard that shows up).

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I tried giving that a chance, but once I read the first chapter and realized it was the millionth "magical girl shows up out of nowhere to enlist guy in her battle against a dark force" manga, I was just like "NO MORE!". I'm not sure I can handle any more of those, only like .01% of them end up being Hoshi no Samidare quality (and I'm not even sure that fits since it's a lizard that shows up).

Read the second chapter. :ssh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It'll be interesting if it doesn't go a Biscuit Hammer direction, based on the second chapter. There's really too little to say either way at this point, the next few chapters will give a better feel for whether it's worth following or not.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Captain Invictus posted:

It'll be interesting if it doesn't go a Biscuit Hammer direction, based on the second chapter. There's really too little to say either way at this point, the next few chapters will give a better feel for whether it's worth following or not.

I think it feels a little more like Mirai Nikki, actually, with the god-like being going around handing out superpowers and having people compete to destroy the world.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Here's a second chapter for Immortal Hounds. Probably :nws: for gigantic amounts of blood, but drat this manga seems like it's going places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Apocalypse no Toride: I don't think anyone didn't see the betrayal coming a mile away but I'll admit I was not expecting them to be some sort of strange cult who thinks the zombies are angels. :stare: