Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm looking for a great story manga. I've been told Naoki Urasawa is good so I was thinking about starting with Monster. However I don't want anything exceedingly graphically sexual or violent. Can anyone second Monster or provide another recommendation?

Edit: Also would I am a Hero fit the bill? For example I enjoyed the Walking Dead comic up until The governor.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Monster is really really good.

I Am a Hero wouldn't fit your criteria because at times it can get pretty violent, and there are sexual themes at several points in the series.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Monster is absolutely amazing and I don't recall it being graphic at all.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa is one of the best story manga I've read in a while, although it might be a little too comical for everyone's tastes. Seizon Life is a lot less humorous, and gets pretty dark. The other stuff Fukumoto Nobuyuki does is pretty great too, although I'm not too familiar with his gambling comics.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Kurosawa isn't comical! One of the few manga I had to put down for a while because I couldn't deal with certain scenes.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Here's a new one with the "tsundere" trait played painfully, frighteningly straight: Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru. The artwork is pretty good but the story...holy poo poo. I think I need to lie down for a bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kleptobot posted:

Here's a new one with the "tsundere" trait played painfully, frighteningly straight: Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru. The artwork is pretty good but the story...holy poo poo. I think I need to lie down for a bit.
Just the summary makes it sound like it could be horribly great or horribly horrible:

quote:

Mozuya Koto is afflicted with the medically accepted disorder known as Dr Josef Tsundere’s Bipolar Personality Disorder, or just “tsundere” for short. With her golden hair, blue eyes, twin tail, and being rich on top of all that, Mozuya Koto comes equipped with all the basic necessities of being a top class tsundere. When Mozuya wants to be friends with somebody or when she likes somebody, she will take offensive actions that are completely opposite from what a normal person would actually do in the same situation and it is completely outside of Mozuya’s control. The manga is pretty serious most of the time, focusing on Mozuya’s troubles with getting along with people as she keeps turning violent due to her tsundere disorder.

edit: ahahaha, the "comical tsundere clobbering" actually nearly killed the kid. Nice. If it keeps playing it completely literally like this, I can see this going in some interesting directions.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 17, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kleptobot posted:

It's nice to see someone finally taking the piss out at the whole stupid "tsundere" thing and exposing it for how, in real life, it'd be a serious, violent mental illness. I also like how it's told from the viewpoint of the "fat sidekick" kid. Looking forward to seeing where this is going!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kleptobot posted:

Oh god, this is so loving great. The best take on Tsundere yet.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Between this and Boku wa Mari no Naka it's nice having some good series that are kind of tearing apart (as in coming at them from a slightly more "real" perspective) some overused anime cliches.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Waiting for the moe-est manga of all, where the cutesy, clumsy, spacey girl actually has an IQ below 70 and cannot function without caretakers or a 4 panel comic format to guide her life.

edit: Strongest Man Kurosawa is pretty funny at times. Even some of Kurosawa's rougher situations have a sort of black comedy to them.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 18, 2013

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

NovaPolice posted:

Waiting for the moe-est manga of all, where the cutesy, clumsy, spacey girl actually has an IQ below 70 and cannot function without caretakers or a 4 panel comic format to guide her life.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
If anyone's wondering whether Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru will be good beyond its concept, I came across one of the other works of the author, Natsunokumo, and if that's anything to go by then Mozuya-san should be pretty drat good as well.

Natsunokumo's a "players in an advanced MMO" but instead of focusing on some kind of quest or action or big bad villain schemes it seems more like it's a rather calmish vehicle to talk about the good and bad ways online games are used as escapism, addiction, and the way personal bonds are affected by the internet.

Also the art is really, really good.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Suben posted:

If anyone's wondering whether Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru will be good beyond its concept, I came across one of the other works of the author, Natsunokumo, and if that's anything to go by then Mozuya-san should be pretty drat good as well.

Natsunokumo's a "players in an advanced MMO" but instead of focusing on some kind of quest or action or big bad villain schemes it seems more like it's a rather calmish vehicle to talk about the good and bad ways online games are used as escapism, addiction, and the way personal bonds are affected by the internet.

Also the art is really, really good.

Wow, Natsunokumo is amazing. It's a a shame that it's not all translated yet though.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
So... Yume Nikki has an official manga adaption.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/177893/yume-nikki_v1_ch1_by_4chan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yo I totally wasn't digging Apocalypse no Toride for the first like 7 chapters feeling that I Am A Hero did what it was doing far better, but then it just went completely off the rails when noseless mandog zombies and triple-pupil'd zombie king man riding atop an unliving throne made of thousands of zombies showed up. Even if it's still not really "high quality entertainment" around 12 chapters in(still too many cheap last-second salvation moments for my liking and the panel layouts/angles of various shots can be confusing or suck at times), it's certainly ballsfuck crazy enough to keep my attention so far. Some really nice little touches in the story as well, and I like the pragmatic nerdy rear end in a top hat guy who, for the first loving time in zombie apocalypse history, does not die immediately for acting rationally in a zombie apocalypse.

edit: yep, completely ridiculous still after getting caught up, still good, not the best, but still crazy. little eyeroll-inducing but oh well. Interested in where it goes from here, at least.

With how low the population at the prison is getting it'd be real nice for some of the survivors to rise up above "faceless crowdmembers" at least. There's like eight recognizable dudes and the rest all look the same.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 21, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, expecting Toride to be a a subtle cerebral horror manga is not even remotely close to being accurate. It is basically zombie action movie with all the cliches thereof dialed up to 11. The only thing missing is fanservice, since the only female character introduced so far is obviously a villain and probably won't survive the arc.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Yeah I'm really dreading what's going to happen to her. It's going to be awful, it's just a question of whether it's actually shown or implied.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Green Blood got a bunch of updates starting from 24. Haven't seen it mentioned around here, but it's a pretty good Western so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, Suicide Island's really good. Really really good. Finally getting around to the "darker" portion of my reading list(I.E. not fluffy romance or optimistic action series) and Suicide Island was this weekend's dish of choice.

The character growth and overall tone of the series is outstanding, the feel of the world is engrossing, and as it progresses you really get attached to certain characters and despise others. Honestly it's had a few parts I nearly had to stop reading just because they were really loving painful to read, such as Liv's story. Honestly the only thing I have a problem with is Sei's hesitance to kill Sociopath Supreme or King Cannibal Creepy Raper Guy. Even after witnessing Kai try to kill Miki firsthand, and knowing he killed Saori himself and tried to get Liv and Tomo to kill themselves, and immediately after leaving the group he sets fire to the school itself in an attempt to wipe them out and is unapologetic for it, Sei still can't kill him. Even though Kai will likely come back for another attempt(and indeed seems to be doing just that in the latest translated chapters). King Cannibal Creepy Raper Guy straight up said he would take the women, and kill everyone unless he became undisputed lord of everyone on the island, that he would not follow any sort of moral or ethical code, tried dirty tactics multiple times, and ambushed everyone who went to negotiate with the sole purpose of killing Ryou. Sei is really just a fool if he took KCCRG at his word in regards to staying separate groups, considering how much he's learned up until now being extremely wary of those sorts of people. He KNOWS that allowing them to live directly puts the lives of every single person he loves in danger. Hell, he witnessed it firsthand on multiple occasions. I feel like the next volume or two will deal with his inability to make that decision in order to secure the safety of his new family, and that many will die because of it. I can't see any possible good things coming from the last couple chapters that have been scanlated.

It's not so much I'm saying KILL ALL SONS OF BITCHES, but those two very specifically represent a completely hostile threat to the existence of every single person in that group. They are downright cartoonishly evil at this point, Kai has been exposed as the person responsible for many of the deaths post-initial suicide rush and has openly said he intends to kill everyone, either through his own actions or his words. KCCRG is just straight up moustache-twirlingly malicious, and is a despot of his people with no regard for anyone except himself. Whether it is possible for these two to come around to the light is not so much a question of "if", but rather "how many lives are worth risking in pursuit of that goal".

The Miki chapters were butt-clenchingly tense, hell, a bunch of chapters were. This series is so good, honestly. This core group has so many interesting, tragic, sad, or even freshly optimistic characters that it really makes every chapter a joy to read. The backstories make sense, and Ryou's was definitely one that hit home in a way. The artwork is outstanding and Ikiru is adorable. I'm really, really interested in seeing where this goes from this point, since there's still three entire volumes untranslated and it's still apparently an ongoing series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, Suicide Island's really good. Really really good. Finally getting around to the "darker" portion of my reading list(I.E. not fluffy romance or optimistic action series) and Suicide Island was this weekend's dish of choice.

The character growth and overall tone of the series is outstanding, the feel of the world is engrossing, and as it progresses you really get attached to certain characters and despise others. Honestly it's had a few parts I nearly had to stop reading just because they were really loving painful to read, such as Liv's story. Honestly the only thing I have a problem with is Sei's hesitance to kill Sociopath Supreme or King Cannibal Creepy Raper Guy. Even after witnessing Kai try to kill Miki firsthand, and knowing he killed Saori himself and tried to get Liv and Tomo to kill themselves, and immediately after leaving the group he sets fire to the school itself in an attempt to wipe them out and is unapologetic for it, Sei still can't kill him. Even though Kai will likely come back for another attempt(and indeed seems to be doing just that in the latest translated chapters). King Cannibal Creepy Raper Guy straight up said he would take the women, and kill everyone unless he became undisputed lord of everyone on the island, that he would not follow any sort of moral or ethical code, tried dirty tactics multiple times, and ambushed everyone who went to negotiate with the sole purpose of killing Ryou. Sei is really just a fool if he took KCCRG at his word in regards to staying separate groups, considering how much he's learned up until now being extremely wary of those sorts of people. He KNOWS that allowing them to live directly puts the lives of every single person he loves in danger. Hell, he witnessed it firsthand on multiple occasions. I feel like the next volume or two will deal with his inability to make that decision in order to secure the safety of his new family, and that many will die because of it. I can't see any possible good things coming from the last couple chapters that have been scanlated.

It's not so much I'm saying KILL ALL SONS OF BITCHES, but those two very specifically represent a completely hostile threat to the existence of every single person in that group. They are downright cartoonishly evil at this point, Kai has been exposed as the person responsible for many of the deaths post-initial suicide rush and has openly said he intends to kill everyone, either through his own actions or his words. KCCRG is just straight up moustache-twirlingly malicious, and is a despot of his people with no regard for anyone except himself. Whether it is possible for these two to come around to the light is not so much a question of "if", but rather "how many lives are worth risking in pursuit of that goal".

The Miki chapters were butt-clenchingly tense, hell, a bunch of chapters were. This series is so good, honestly. This core group has so many interesting, tragic, sad, or even freshly optimistic characters that it really makes every chapter a joy to read. The backstories make sense, and Ryou's was definitely one that hit home in a way. The artwork is outstanding and Ikiru is adorable. I'm really, really interested in seeing where this goes from this point, since there's still three entire volumes untranslated and it's still apparently an ongoing series.

It's not exactly easy to bring yourself to kill another human being, even if you rationally know that it's what you should do. Especially with something like a bow and arrow.

One thing I noticed about Suicide Island is that the main character is the exact same person as the main character in Holyland (his other series about street fighting). Both are really good, but if I had to name one issue I have it would probably be the fact that the main character in both is probably a little too "badass/hardcore" and ends up coming off as a bit of a Mary Sue.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 25, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Check out his third manga, Destroy and Revolution. It's different enough from the others to be worth reading but the guy definitely knows what theme he wants to write about.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There's a new chapter of Black Lagoon out!

That face Rock makes near the end! :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

There's a new chapter of Black Lagoon out!

That face Rock makes near the end! :allears:

It's the face Hiroe makes at people who wish he drew more than a dozen and change pages every three months.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I started reading I am a hero, not expecting to like it.

I did, though. It's a little different from the super-played out Dawn of the Dead style zombies.

I feel bad how so far all three of Suzuki's male-friends got offed. The manga guy, the bacon guy and the camera guy.:smith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Anatharon posted:

I started reading I am a hero, not expecting to like it.

I did, though. It's a little different from the super-played out Dawn of the Dead style zombies.

I feel bad how so far all three of Suzuki's male-friends got offed. The manga guy, the bacon guy and the camera guy.:smith:

Well, to be fair the manga guy was kinda a huge creep who committed literal crimes against their female coworker. Not that that justifies him being killed, but I'm not sure that we're supposed to miss him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Well, to be fair the manga guy was kinda a huge creep who committed literal crimes against their female coworker. Not that that justifies him being killed, but I'm not sure that we're supposed to miss him.

Oh, I didn't feel bad for him, I felt bad for Suzuki. He all in all tries to be a stand up guy from the looks of things.

edit:

:stare: This is turning into Prototype.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2013

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Volumes 9 and 10 of Knights of Sidonia were released today.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Goddamn all those chapters ruled. Seriously the best sci-fi comic out there right now. Whole bunch of callbacks this volume too, maybe Sidonia wrote a sequel to Biomega that gave Higarde a happy ending. Tsugumi continues to own. Also FFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK the return of the GBE! 420 shoot through moons err'day.

drat Nihei has come a long way drawing humans. Izana's mortified face in chapter 48 was amazing.

Now the endless wait for more. :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I got around to finishing Akumetsu.

After 200~ so deaths, apparently Shou dieing can still be sad. :qq:

Considering how crazy the series was, the ending was sobering and almost down to earth.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Allarion posted:

Green Blood got a bunch of updates starting from 24. Haven't seen it mentioned around here, but it's a pretty good Western so far.

Last chapter was put up on Batoto today. 49.

It owned.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Green Blood ended really abruptly; it felt like it was intended to be much longer. Ah well, it owned anyway.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Knights of Sidonia was always good, but ever since Tsumugi showed up it's been fantastic. I wish it had a more regular release schedule so we could justify having a thread for it.

Izana and Tsumugi are the greatest. And I love how Tanikaze is stuffing his face in nearly every noncombat scene he appears in.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

chami posted:

Volumes 9 and 10 of Knights of Sidonia were released today.

That is the greatest first kiss with an abomination in comic history. The fleshy growths resembling shoujo romance flowers in the foreground and the tendrils trailing away like saliva is both hilarious and creepy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Tsugumi's poo poo-eating grin after taking that pilot on a joyride was great.

Back to earth for a moment did anyone ever translate that missing chunk of One Outs, or should I just watch the series?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

Knights of Sidonia was always good, but ever since Tsumugi showed up it's been fantastic. I wish it had a more regular release schedule so we could justify having a thread for it.

Izana and Tsumugi are the greatest. And I love how Tanikaze is stuffing his face in nearly every noncombat scene he appears in.

Discussion might hot up when the anime gets released, whenever that may be.

Loved the cutaway view of the GBE-blasted hull section in chapter 47. I'm sure Nihei had loads of fun with that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Is there actually going to be an anime? I thought it only showed up in fake upcoming season pictures, like Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHI6Ciiy1V0

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Sindai posted:

Is there actually going to be an anime? I thought it only showed up in fake upcoming season pictures, like Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

Ouch, right in my dreams.

And now I am depressed all of a sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MadHat posted:

Ouch, right in my dreams.

And now I am depressed all of a sudden.
If you watch fake OPs on youtube and wish, it's almost the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTYRrn1Q6j8

UPDATE: Not actually the same thing at all. :smith: