Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
The Akumetsu guy also did that "Mazinger, but with rape" manga, so I think politics is the only thing that manages to stray him away from his true calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Sort of. And I don't even really enjoy it for the politic talk because it's stuff I've heard before, but more of an interesting tale about "guy gets superpowers, decides to be a "hero" in the loosest and most extreme sense of the word, does crazy poo poo while enacting his plot while the rest of the country desperately tries to figure him out" such as the Countach race, the Rock Band, and Batman-Akumetsu. It's also got pretty drat great art.

What chapter are you on? It starts to get into some other things later on, and also starts to question if Akumetsu's actions will actually have any notable effect.
I'll keep pressing forward then, I am admittedly only on like chapter 35.

In terms of manga recommendations to Chas, reading Vinland Saga is definitely a good idea (Vagabond is an excellent historical series as well). And if you enjoyed Solanin then move on to Oyasumi Punpun for sure, Inio Asano is great. And if you haven't read either of Hitoshi Iwaaki's great series Parasyte or Historie, you definitely should.

I'd just add...

If you're into really surreal manga you may also want to try the crazy climbing manga Kokou no Hito, the early chapters may not hint at it but it becomes a hell of a ride and you don't have to be into the subject matter to dig it or anything.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kokou-No-Hito

And personally my favorite Seinen manga-ka is Jiro Matsumoto, he doesn't get much mention here but he's a really surreal and creative manga-ka who has done a few intense and moving one-shots and series. Things can get artistically obscene with him but it never becomes a creepy turnoff or fanservice as it may with manga-ka like the Wolf Guy/Akumetsu dude.
I'd try giving Uncivilized Planet and Freesia a chance.
http://mangafox.me/manga/uncivilized_planet/
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Freesia

In terms of ongoing Seinen with potential that I'm enjoying right now, I'd name stuff like Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Destroy and Revolution, Suicide Island, Jigoku no Alice, and Spirit Circle.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 12, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

And if you enjoyed Solanin then move on to Oyasumi Punpun for sure, Inio Asano is great.

Though it should be mentioned that the tone is quite different between the two series (I think Oyasumi Punpun is overall better).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Vagabond has some of the best art you'll see in any manga. Vinland saga is great and a pretty big departure from Planetes for most of the series. Lone wolf and cub is a classic but Dark Horse's translation can be pretty annoying at times due to the sheer amount of untranslated japanese

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

I probably shouldn't have read this right before bed. It's purestrain melancholy. But also really good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

I probably shouldn't have read this right before bed. It's purestrain melancholy. But also really good.
Right? Some of the visuals Jiro Matsumoto brings to the plate are just amazing. It's one of my personal favorites.

If you liked that, Freesia and Tropical Citron are two more series of his. Both pretty surreal and intense. I also really liked his collections of short story manga, like Keep on Vibrating and A Revolutionist in the Afternoon. He's got a new ongoing series (at least I think it's new) set in the post-apocalypse, Jigoku no Alice, that is fairly decent right now but I'm not quite sure if it's going to reach the heights of some of his other full-length series, we'll see I guess.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 12, 2013

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Finished Freesia and Uncivilized planet--Jiro Matsumoto is brutally good. :gonk:

Thanks for the recommendation!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I really wish there were more translated chapters of Cooking Papa, it's adorable. THAT'S WHEN YOU NEED A MAN FOR THE JOB of cooking a chicken. I know whole turkeys are something of a rarity outside of Western countries, but never thought that a whole chicken would be a delicacy.

(be sure to save the delicious broth)

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Speaking of solving your problems with food, new volume of Nobunaga's Chef

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Suspect Bucket posted:

I really wish there were more translated chapters of Cooking Papa, it's adorable. THAT'S WHEN YOU NEED A MAN FOR THE JOB of cooking a chicken. I know whole turkeys are something of a rarity outside of Western countries, but never thought that a whole chicken would be a delicacy.

(be sure to save the delicious broth)

The thing that got me about that was the instruction to cook the thing at 300°C. Most home ovens don't even go that high.

I've read quite a bit of Bambino in the last couple of days. I'm up where he's become a waiter and I enjoy the faux-realism and focus on restaurant life a lot. It doesn't have the charming episodic simplicity of Cooking Papa, though.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
For some reason the wife is my favorite character in Cooking Papa.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

So dope. I hope the next volume is coming soon.

Little Forest is another great cooking manga. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Little-Forest
It's by Igarashi Daisuke so you know it's good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New chapter of Jiro Matsumoto's current series Jigoku no Alice. Shuu sorta snaps. :v:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Jigoku-no-Alice/Vol-002-Ch-011--The-War-Broke-Out-Again---?id=177055

Edit:
Woah, I don't know if there's still a Shamo thread or if we discuss it here, but it's definitely picking up again. Those are some crazy new chapters.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kaja Rainbow posted:

For some reason the wife is my favorite character in Cooking Papa.
I love her. I can't figure out whether her eyes are constantly spinning or she's wearing weird glasses, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chas McGill posted:

I love her. I can't figure out whether her eyes are constantly spinning or she's wearing weird glasses, though.

That's just the way that Japan shows someone's wearing really thick glasses.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TheFallenEvincar posted:

New chapter of Jiro Matsumoto's current series Jigoku no Alice. Shuu sorta snaps. :v:

Shuu's dad used him the same way Shuu used Alice, do we think?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Right? Some of the visuals Jiro Matsumoto brings to the plate are just amazing. It's one of my personal favorites.

If you liked that, Freesia and Tropical Citron are two more series of his. Both pretty surreal and intense. I also really liked his collections of short story manga, like Keep on Vibrating and A Revolutionist in the Afternoon. He's got a new ongoing series (at least I think it's new) set in the post-apocalypse, Jigoku no Alice, that is fairly decent right now but I'm not quite sure if it's going to reach the heights of some of his other full-length series, we'll see I guess.

I read Freesia over the past few nights and I don't know what makes his stuff so compelling. Something about the mix of surrealism, Earthlike settings, and a society-wide undercurrent of callous violence just forces you to keep reading. I really do have to wonder about this author, though. Both main characters have only the barest of grips on reality and are frequently hallucinating, plus half the other characters are batshit in their own ways and are also probably hallucinating. And then there's the constant stream of sexual violence. And yet, despite all that, it's just too good to put down.

So, regarding the ending of Freesia: are we to assume that he survived? Or that it was a flashback? Or that there's somebody else who is now hallucinating him? I'm not sure which is the worst option, really.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 14, 2013

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Most of Jiro Matsumoto is great. Freesia, Uncivilized Planet, Tropical Citron, A revolutionist in the Afternoon, I also recommend his short story collection Keep on Vibrating.
Only in a few works he goes too much in the nutty direction, like in Becchin to Mandara.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Kimi No Knife still ongoing?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anatharon posted:

Is Kimi No Knife still ongoing?

Sloooooooooooooooooooooowly. It's updated within the last week.

EDIT: Or do you mean in Japan? It's complete there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Suicide Island is pretty good, but I'm wondering if his dog or his romantic interest will be the next thing to die to keep Sei miserable.

The acceptance of the transgendered women was very :3:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Sloooooooooooooooooooooowly. It's updated within the last week.

EDIT: Or do you mean in Japan? It's complete there.

I was wondering both, really.

It makes me think of Breaking Bad meets Death Note.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Another new chapter went up today.

Man, I just love this series.

e: Awwwww man. I just finished reading Cooking Papa and now I really want more of it. I see there's an anime of it too, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 16, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Stayed up late to finish Bambino! (or at least what's been translated of it) last night. Bloody brilliant and I highly recommend it even if you don't have a particular interest in Italian cooking. Although I would've enjoyed some more 'instructional' elements like in Cooking Papa, the focus on interactions within the kitchen was really satisfying overall. Ban does fall under the "gotta be the best!" category of protagonists, yet I didn't find him that irritating - he's hot headed/blooded while still having enough introspection and empathy to make him interesting.

I thought the scene (spoilers for fairly late in the manga) where he makes dinner for Eri and her fiance was pretty sweet. I've got a weakness for characters who use their expertise to express themselves positively.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Both I Am Missing and I'm In Mari updated, and boy howdy how I wish they weren't monthly. I'm In Mari moves at such a slow pace. It's good, but it doesn't accomplish much chapter to chapter. And of course there's a big fat cliffhanger at the end of this one where not much happened.

I Am Missing for once had a somewhat happy and not horrible and brutal turn of events with Airi not loving dying(though her house burned), only to go right back to being dark by the end of the chapter. Real curious to see where they go with that, this series has been pretty drat incredible but I am wondering just how long it'll go on for.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chas McGill posted:

Stayed up late to finish Bambino! (or at least what's been translated of it) last night. Bloody brilliant and I highly recommend it even if you don't have a particular interest in Italian cooking. Although I would've enjoyed some more 'instructional' elements like in Cooking Papa, the focus on interactions within the kitchen was really satisfying overall. Ban does fall under the "gotta be the best!" category of protagonists, yet I didn't find him that irritating - he's hot headed/blooded while still having enough introspection and empathy to make him interesting.

I thought the scene (spoilers for fairly late in the manga) where he makes dinner for Eri and her fiance was pretty sweet. I've got a weakness for characters who use their expertise to express themselves positively.

My only issue with Bambino is that the cooks and other workers are being heavily exploited by the restaurant owner and nobody really acknowledges it. When the rich rear end in a top hat friend points this to Bambi I would have expected him to at least dismiss it but nope, not a peep. Overworking yourself for peanuts is what you're suppose to do, I guess.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I don't know where else to ask this, as there's not a "general" thread or anything.

Do people read Junji Ito's Uzumaki because they think it's scary or because they think it's hilarious? I started reading it for for the first time last night and all I could think was "this is silly." Is that kind of reaction expected?

Like I said, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (this forum has so few threads!) and I checked and Uzumaki was apparently serialized in some seinen mag so it kinda counts I guesss. It's just hard to gauge what tone it's going for and what kind of reaction I'm supposed to have.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Both I Am Missing and I'm In Mari updated, and boy howdy how I wish they weren't monthly. I'm In Mari moves at such a slow pace. It's good, but it doesn't accomplish much chapter to chapter. And of course there's a big fat cliffhanger at the end of this one where not much happened.

I Am Missing for once had a somewhat happy and not horrible and brutal turn of events with Airi not loving dying(though her house burned), only to go right back to being dark by the end of the chapter. Real curious to see where they go with that, this series has been pretty drat incredible but I am wondering just how long it'll go on for.

With regard to I Am Missing.

I think it's got legs for quite a while yet. Satoru will probably jump back to 1988 at least once more, if not twice, and (I could be wrong), I don't think we have any major clues as to the real killer's identity. I went back to chapter 4 to see what the guy looked like when he attempted a kidnapping, and so far nobody really maps to the facial features we're able to make out. The new TV reporter guy kinda, but it's only been a couple days, he shouldn't be able to grow a full beard out like that so quickly. Or maybe I'm just projecting. :negative:

Another possibility is that an alternate-Satoru is the real culprit due to timey-wimey bullshit, but nothing's pointed to that directly yet and good Lord do I hope it never goes there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Do people read Junji Ito's Uzumaki because they think it's scary or because they think it's hilarious? I started reading it for for the first time last night and all I could think was "this is silly." Is that kind of reaction expected?

Like I said, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (this forum has so few threads!) and I checked and Uzumaki was apparently serialized in some seinen mag so it kinda counts I guesss. It's just hard to gauge what tone it's going for and what kind of reaction I'm supposed to have.
I'd certainly characterize most of Ito's work as gross, unsettling, and sometimes hilarious rather than scary.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I don't know where else to ask this, as there's not a "general" thread or anything.

Junji Ito's horror tends to be pretty wacko. It's, depending on the reader, hilariously weird or terrifyingly bizarre (or both). He doesn't really hold back--you're in for a crazy ride.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Ito's style depends a lot on body horror, so if that doesn't scare you then it may fall a little flat, but I'll say that Uzumaki gets Lovecraftian horror right in a way that even HP himself rarely did.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

trucutru posted:

My only issue with Bambino is that the cooks and other workers are being heavily exploited by the restaurant owner and nobody really acknowledges it. When the rich rear end in a top hat friend points this to Bambi I would have expected him to at least dismiss it but nope, not a peep. Overworking yourself for peanuts is what you're suppose to do, I guess.
That's actually one of the more realistic reflections of the industry in the manga. I don't really know what 150k yen a month is in £££s or $$$s, but unless you're in a management position at a restaurant you're likely to get paid very little in comparison to the amount of work and expertise required. My brother co-owned and was head chef of a small restaurant here and he actually quit to become a head chef on a flotel (offshore oilrig accommodation) because he'd get more money and it's a stable career.

You're only gonna get rich and successful as a chef if you're lucky and psychotically dedicated, so far as I can see. Bambi seems to be both.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 17, 2013

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Captain Invictus posted:

Literally on the same page people are saying not to read Wolf Guy because it is so terrible it retroactively harms enjoyment of Akumetsu. Come on, Relin.
It's my job to plant the seed of doubt............

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I find the writing to be really solid, but goddamn do I wish I could read it all in one go. I mean, if the pacing were faster it'd be very different and probably not as good, but it sure makes reading at a trickle unbearable. There's no way Isao can possibly fit into the groove Mari was living in, especially when all of the indications we've had suggest that Mari wasn't particularly happy about it in the first place. All of the small mistakes he's made are creating a situation where something's got to give; either he alienates Momoka and probably the rest of Mari's friends, or (given how he's kind of cracking under pressure), lets slip that Mari *probably* isn't straight while trying to prove he's not trying to steal Momoka's boyfriend, which is going to be life-ruining in a whole different way.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, I find the writing to be really solid, but goddamn do I wish I could read it all in one go. I mean, if the pacing were faster it'd be very different and probably not as good, but it sure makes reading at a trickle unbearable. There's no way Isao can possibly fit into the groove Mari was living in, especially when all of the indications we've had suggest that Mari wasn't particularly happy about it in the first place. All of the small mistakes he's made are creating a situation where something's got to give; either he alienates Momoka and probably the rest of Mari's friends, or (given how he's kind of cracking under pressure), lets slip that Mari *probably* isn't straight while trying to prove he's not trying to steal Momoka's boyfriend, which is going to be life-ruining in a whole different way.

I kind of wish it was at least ten or so pages longer for being monthly. Then again maybe we'll start getting a little more than "Isao adjusts to Mari's life" since it looks like there's the potential for poo poo to start going down with Momoka. And as far as Mari not being happy with her life goes, a good amount of people seem to have the belief that there was no actual switch and that Mari's just an extreme stalker who believes she's Isao, creating a new persona to escape from her life. I don't really know if I buy into that though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chas McGill posted:

Personally I thought the New York arc (specifically the part where suddenly they're cooking for Cosa Nostra) was the weakest, and though I don't condemn the suddenness of Hayama's death as much as some people do, I do agree that Sekiya seems to have relied on "in real life poo poo just happens" to handwave it. Also Etsushi popping up out of nowhere was the most hilarious retcon. Overall, though, it was pretty good; I feel that the pros outweigh the cons. Still, next time I think I'll leave the scanlating of it to someone else. :v:

Sadly the sequel is not anywhere near as good; I feel like the mangaka lets his real life anti-Chinese and anti-Korean sentiments show in his work toward the end, which is a drat shame. Also not a fan of the direction the art took. And the whole arc with Tsuchiya was not only way too long but also entirely uninteresting.

trucutru posted:

Chas McGill already touched on it, but yeah, to the best of my knowledge that's just how being a line chef is. Granted I'm not actually one myself, but I did receive several emails from people claiming to be working in the business while scanlating Bambino, and more or less all of them commented on Bambino being extremely faithful to the spirit if not the letter of what it's like to work in the food industry. I guess it's just something you really have to love.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I hadn't realised the second part was out. I'll have to look for it later even if it isn't quite up to the standard of the first.

The New York arc was weaker, though I still found it interesting because I'm fascinated by how foreign cultures are depicted in manga and anime. I feel like Urasawa is probably the best at this in Monster and Master Keaton. I could detect a bit of xenophobia in Bambino! but it wasn't too bad.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yep. agreed with the others. Most of the "scariness" of Ito is derived from the body horror. Ito is also a master of comedy. If you don't believe me, read Cat Diary after you've finished reading the rest of his more traditional horror stories.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I hadn't realised the second part was out. I'll have to look for it later even if it isn't quite up to the standard of the first.

The New York arc was weaker, though I still found it interesting because I'm fascinated by how foreign cultures are depicted in manga and anime. I feel like Urasawa is probably the best at this in Monster and Master Keaton. I could detect a bit of xenophobia in Bambino! but it wasn't too bad.

It's complete in Japan, but it hasn't been scanlated at all to the best of my knowledge.

About the NY arc: On the one hand I found it hilarious how Ban was such a "Japanese person in foreign country" stereotype, especially that initial scene where he worries about the taxi taking too long to get to the hotel. The mafia bits, though, were equal parts endearing homage and eye-rollingly bad stereotype. Wasn't really a fan of Coyote's backstory either. All in all it felt like Sekiya tried to go for a serious and realistic approach but unconsciously slipped in stereotypes to fill in the gaps of what he didn't know.

I also found it funny how only the two competing dons were acting like real people in the whole mafia cooking arc, while everyone else was operating on weird honor rules. The Lorenzo brothers in particular were pretty bad.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

AnonSpore posted:

It's complete in Japan, but it hasn't been scanlated at all to the best of my knowledge.

About the NY arc: On the one hand I found it hilarious how Ban was such a "Japanese person in foreign country" stereotype, especially that initial scene where he worries about the taxi taking too long to get to the hotel. The mafia bits, though, were equal parts endearing homage and eye-rollingly bad stereotype. Wasn't really a fan of Coyote's backstory either. All in all it felt like Sekiya tried to go for a serious and realistic approach but unconsciously slipped in stereotypes to fill in the gaps of what he didn't know.

I also found it funny how only the two competing dons were acting like real people in the whole mafia cooking arc, while everyone else was operating on weird honor rules. The Lorenzo brothers in particular were pretty bad.
Yeah, the tone was off for most of that arc.

Are there any other good, realistic contemporary cooking mangas? I remember being told about one focusing on a guy who is some kind of prodigal bread kneader, but I can't read that because I'm trying to cut down on my wheat intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, the tone was off for most of that arc.

Are there any other good, realistic contemporary cooking mangas? I remember being told about one focusing on a guy who is some kind of prodigal bread kneader, but I can't read that because I'm trying to cut down on my wheat intake.

Do not read Yakitate Japan.