Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dickeye posted:

Do not read Yakitate Japan.

Listen to Dickeye, Chas. And it felt really weird to write that sentence down, but seriously, pay heed to his words. Also, is that Matthew Broderick in your avatar, Dickeye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm pretty sure that is Broderick.

I wasn't gonna read the one about bread anyway, since I always end up eating what I've been reading about. Made roast chicken after reading Cooking Papa. Ate lunch at an Italian place after Bambino!.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Taniguchi Jirou's The Lonely Gourment is the only good, contemporary, (mostly) realistic food manga I can think of. IF you're okay with manhwa, Huh Young-Man's Shikgaek is also really good.

Chuuka Ichiban! and Shouta no Sushi are also classics, though neither of them are anything even remotely approaching realistic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chas McGill posted:

I'm pretty sure that is Broderick.

Yeah it's a shot from Ferris Bueller that's not in the actual movie.

Akumetsu is pretty cool, I like that by the end people are straight up telling him that he's not going to change anything and he just gives zero fucks because gently caress The Rich.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, the tone was off for most of that arc.

Are there any other good, realistic contemporary cooking mangas? I remember being told about one focusing on a guy who is some kind of prodigal bread kneader, but I can't read that because I'm trying to cut down on my wheat intake.

Nobody in the world has ever described Yakitate Japan as "realistic". Also it's only good for the first part and gets SUPER weird and dumb at the end. I don't think I even finished the ending, I got too disgusted with it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Turtlebread dick was -amazing-, gently caress the haters. :colbert: But yeah Yakitate kinda went way too far off the rails by the end.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I fully enjoyed Yakitate Japan up through the end of the Monaco Arc and still consider that portion of the show to be one of my favorites. It was interesting, and it had a lot of heart. Everything past that I can take or leave, and I never bothered reading the manga past then as I heard Kawachi got further relegated to joke status and things just got completely out of hand with bread people and the reactions.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I fully enjoyed Yakitate Japan up through the end of the Monaco Arc and still consider that portion of the show to be one of my favorites. It was interesting, and it had a lot of heart. Everything past that I can take or leave, and I never bothered reading the manga past then as I heard Kawachi got further relegated to joke status and things just got completely out of hand with bread people and the reactions.

Honestly I'd be more terrified of the guy who thinks nothing of turning people into inanimate objects (Granted he didn't force them to eat his bread), than some stupid bread zombies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It kind of stopped being funny while veering toward mild body horror, but no one acknowledged the change. Everyone reacted to grotesque physical transformations and warping reality as though they were interchangeable with the reactions from the early chapters (which were limited to some dude acting silly). They never really made it clear why anyone would ever want to eat bread that would transform you into a lovely pun/hideous freak.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Serious Frolicking posted:

It kind of stopped being funny while veering toward mild body horror, but no one acknowledged the change. Everyone reacted to grotesque physical transformations and warping reality as though they were interchangeable with the reactions from the early chapters (which were limited to some dude acting silly). They never really made it clear why anyone would ever want to eat bread that would transform you into a lovely pun/hideous freak.

Hey, in the real world some people will actually eat wild fugu liver raw just because it's supposed to taste really really good before you, you know, die. Considering that, maybe it's not so strange that dudes will eat reality warping bread if it's delicious reality warping bread.

That said yeah, Yakitate started strong and went on like 20 more volumes than it should've. Same with Iron Wok Jan which shouldn't have gotten a sequel (the original ending was fine if nothing special).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yakitake peaked for me when the main character made bread that could send someone back in time.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

AnonSpore posted:

Taniguchi Jirou's The Lonely Gourment is the only good, contemporary, (mostly) realistic food manga I can think of. IF you're okay with manhwa, Huh Young-Man's Shikgaek is also really good.

Chuuka Ichiban! and Shouta no Sushi are also classics, though neither of them are anything even remotely approaching realistic.

Thanks, I'll have a look for these.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AnonSpore posted:

Hey, in the real world some people will actually eat wild fugu liver raw just because it's supposed to taste really really good before you, you know, die. Considering that, maybe it's not so strange that dudes will eat reality warping bread if it's delicious reality warping bread.
This donut hole was made for me!

DRR DRR DRR

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I felt Yakitake Japan was good up until somewhere in the Monacco Cup, I think even up through the final matches before the main character's time travel bread that changed history. That final match though, and pretty much everything that came after it, totally ruined the series for me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ryuujin posted:

I felt Yakitake Japan was good up until somewhere in the Monacco Cup, I think even up through the final matches before the main character's time travel bread that changed history. That final match though, and pretty much everything that came after it, totally ruined the series for me.
Maybe it's because I was young or because I love happy endings, but despite its utter absurdity I loved the way Pierrot's story arc ended. Past that though I do agree. I tried to like it, but there were too many stupid battles and reactions like the Panda transformation and the long LotR parody killed the pace of the show and it ended badly. I heard the manga wasn't any better so I left it alone, though I heard enough things to confirm that as a good idea.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm not sure if Chinese series count, but I recommend Blood and Steel. It's about martial artists in ancient China trying to prevent an *evil* martial arts school from completely dominating and eradicating all other schools in China.

There's a little bit too much exposition, but the art is gorgeous, the action is fantastic, and the explanations of various moves, techniques and weapons are excellent.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

A new chapter of All Rounder Meguru is out for those who haven't read it yet: All Rounder Meguru Chaper 71. I love the manga but the way the translation gets the names for every technique wrong is getting a little bit annoying. It just seems odd to me that someone would start translating a title like this without knowing anything about MMA or BJJ.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

duckdealer posted:

It just seems odd to me that someone would start translating a title like this without knowing anything

That is often the case with fan translations, yes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Count yourself lucky if the translator knows both Japanese and English.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

duckdealer posted:

A new chapter of All Rounder Meguru is out for those who haven't read it yet: All Rounder Meguru Chaper 71. I love the manga but the way the translation gets the names for every technique wrong is getting a little bit annoying. It just seems odd to me that someone would start translating a title like this without knowing anything about MMA or BJJ.

Was that the case with the old group as well? or is it just the new group that fucks it up? I like it but I don't really know much about the subject.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Hel posted:

Was that the case with the old group as well? or is it just the new group that fucks it up? I like it but I don't really know much about the subject.

I looked back at some of the older chapters and it was a lot better.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I Am Missing c17 - "A Very Small Clue"

Despite the title, I think this one actually made a lot of progress. So, naturally, something is going to go horribly wrong next chapter. :ohdear:

I think Satoru's getting ahead of himself, here; Hiromi being killed to throw off suspicion works, but we can't be sure that the killer did it because he knew he was on the list- he could just have done it as a precautionary measure. There's a missing step here, somewhere. I think Satoru is thinking that the killer was a police officer. That's not implausible, given how keen they were to throw out Satoru's testimony, and now Airi's- the seem to be fitting the facts to the narrative and not the other way round.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Kui Tan #11 just came out. It's cute to see Seiya get chewed out. I love when detective stories don't involve corpses :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KittenofDoom posted:

Kui Tan #11 just came out. It's cute to see Seiya get chewed out. I love when detective stories don't involve corpses :)

I bet that guy runs into a truly ridiculous number of cases off-panel, but is unwilling/unable to do anything because they don't involve food.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Here's something I just found: Haru no Houtai Shujo. It's about a boy and a girl who are dating each other, whose town is currently being troubled by serial arson. Turns out the boy may have something to do with them and end up burning the girl.

The manga has a nice sense of mystery alongside typical high-school antics. The main pair has their genuinely adorable and dark moments. I just hope it won't get too action-y later.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

toanoradian posted:

Here's something I just found: Haru no Houtai Shujo. It's about a boy and a girl who are dating each other, whose town is currently being troubled by serial arson. Turns out the boy may have something to do with them and end up burning the girl.

The manga has a nice sense of mystery alongside typical high-school antics. The main pair has their genuinely adorable and dark moments. I just hope it won't get too action-y later.

I can't quite tell if he's supposed to have some kind of ~magic power~ or if he's just a pyromaniac. The former would be kinda lame.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure it is the former. The impression I got was it was some sort of uncontrollable pyrokinesis that manifests periodically.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Unrelatedly I liked Parasyte but it was sorta a letdown how it got kinda Shounen battle manga-y.

I tend to like the inverse of that, where something starts off kinda shounen/shoujo-y and then gets darker and weirder. Probably due to playing so much Earthbound.:v:

Mirai Nikki was kinda like that but I couldn't stand either of the leads and was very dissapointed when they got to live happily ever after.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blhue posted:

I'm pretty sure it is the former. The impression I got was it was some sort of uncontrollable pyrokinesis that manifests periodically.

According to the latest chapter, there have been a bunch of psychics in that town but their powers always turn against them. So, he may or may not be the arsonist but he is certainly a pyrokinetic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus. Since one of the series picked up by Crunchyroll's new manga service is Fortress of the Apocalypse, that means it's currently up-to-date with the translated chapters, six new ones that scanlators never got to.

Some...serious poo poo went down. Jesus. I kinda am weirded out by what's happened to the sexy "UN" lady but I can only hope that her being like that will prevent any rapenanigans that I'm pretty sure everyone was expecting once the fake UN jerks got their comeuppance, in a prison full of women-deprived convicts. Bravo, Fortress of the Apocalypse, for somehow managing to avoid every possible outcome people expected for them. What's happening with our fair protagonist was obvious a mile away, but let's see where they go with it, ought to be interesting from here on out.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
A second video for Knights of Sidonia just arrived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31QP4SE3Gw

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

A second video for Knights of Sidonia just arrived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31QP4SE3Gw

Looks kinda weird but also kinda good? My favourite part of that manga is the gender politics and slice of life stuff so I hope they don't down play that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A couple new chapters of Koe no Katachi are out, and they're the typical up and down of :smith: and :unsmith:. Though I'd probably just sock that kid in the face for jump-kicking me off my bike and being such a little prick.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Being Shouya is suffering. :smith:

His mom owns though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So what do people think of Flowers of Evil? I'm a bit over a dozen chapters in, fluctuating wildly between "gently caress this stupid series" and "hmm, this is potentially interesting" seemingly every other chapter.

For those who've read all that's out so far, answer this for me, yes or no is fine: does Takao ever move past being horribly clingy to Nakamura whenever she insinuates that she'll abandon him? I almost feel like if he does, the series will end right there, since she seems to be more of a main character than him. Like, she's not even really interesting so far, and it's weird how a school allows a middle-schooler to just openly insult the teachers and swear at them and straight up not do tests without anything more punishing than a stern talking-to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yes, things change later.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I liked Death Note and Mirai Nikki, with the whole trying to figure out who your enemy actually is thing. Is there any other series good for that sort of thing?

Captain Invictus posted:

So what do people think of Flowers of Evil? I'm a bit over a dozen chapters in, fluctuating wildly between "gently caress this stupid series" and "hmm, this is potentially interesting" seemingly every other chapter.

For those who've read all that's out so far, answer this for me, yes or no is fine: does Takao ever move past being horribly clingy to Nakamura whenever she insinuates that she'll abandon him? I almost feel like if he does, the series will end right there, since she seems to be more of a main character than him. Like, she's not even really interesting so far, and it's weird how a school allows a middle-schooler to just openly insult the teachers and swear at them and straight up not do tests without anything more punishing than a stern talking-to.

Things change but it's kinda hard to tell if it'll be in an engaging way or not so far.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
You might find Liar Game pretty interesting. There's a lot of plotting and back and forth, but one of the better aspects to it is that the rules of each game are laid out from the beginning so if you're clever, you can often predict the major strategies and gambits that end up being played. The money also allows characters to gain the upper hand without resorting to Death Note's actually I'm behind you scenes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Liar Game's cool but it feels like it just does variations of poker too often, I really prefer the cool innovative strategy games like that smuggling one they did and the musical chairs conquest game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
A whole volume of Hito Hitori Futari today.