Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Between this and Boku wa Mari no Naka it's nice having some good series that are kind of tearing apart (as in coming at them from a slightly more "real" perspective) some overused anime cliches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

If anyone's wondering whether Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru will be good beyond its concept, I came across one of the other works of the author, Natsunokumo, and if that's anything to go by then Mozuya-san should be pretty drat good as well.

Natsunokumo's a "players in an advanced MMO" but instead of focusing on some kind of quest or action or big bad villain schemes it seems more like it's a rather calmish vehicle to talk about the good and bad ways online games are used as escapism, addiction, and the way personal bonds are affected by the internet.

Also the art is really, really good.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, I find the writing to be really solid, but goddamn do I wish I could read it all in one go. I mean, if the pacing were faster it'd be very different and probably not as good, but it sure makes reading at a trickle unbearable. There's no way Isao can possibly fit into the groove Mari was living in, especially when all of the indications we've had suggest that Mari wasn't particularly happy about it in the first place. All of the small mistakes he's made are creating a situation where something's got to give; either he alienates Momoka and probably the rest of Mari's friends, or (given how he's kind of cracking under pressure), lets slip that Mari *probably* isn't straight while trying to prove he's not trying to steal Momoka's boyfriend, which is going to be life-ruining in a whole different way.

I kind of wish it was at least ten or so pages longer for being monthly. Then again maybe we'll start getting a little more than "Isao adjusts to Mari's life" since it looks like there's the potential for poo poo to start going down with Momoka. And as far as Mari not being happy with her life goes, a good amount of people seem to have the belief that there was no actual switch and that Mari's just an extreme stalker who believes she's Isao, creating a new persona to escape from her life. I don't really know if I buy into that though.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

As far as doctor manga go there's also Jin which is about a modern day doctor getting transported back into the Bakumatsu becoming a doctor there but with his knowledge of modern medicine.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I think most of Mozuya-san's problem is the translation. Like I get what's happening and what the characters are saying but the translation is so overly literal and stiff and wordy that nothing about it flows naturally and it winds up becoming a slog where you have to re-read things just to get what's going on. That's not really on the series itself (I like the general premise of "anime character in the real world") but on the people working on it. Maybe the translation crew aren't native English speakers or something, I dunno.

And yeah, I hope it hasn't been dropped or something. IIRC the Natsunokumo's been finished for a long time since it's a nearly ten year old series with 8 volumes. I like how, even with the great character work, it doesn't skimp on giving you cool action. Itaka's fight was pretty drat awesome and I liked how it emphasized her cleverness in a way that didn't feel like an rear end pull.

Suben fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I can't really imagine Cesare's art style being a turn off. I guess maybe the bishonen characters but the creator's style has evolved far past standard sparkly pretty boy stuff so it's not off putting imo and her locales are goddamn gorgeous.