Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I liked that poison taster manga but she started to turn into a bit of a mary sue and then it was revealed that her freckles are fake and I gave up. Thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If it's a crime to think a character should have any flaws, then I'm going to jail!

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I just posted my honest reaction and unfortunately used a word that's been claimed by the pepe squad in doing so. She never struggles with anything and it makes the manga boring. I'm fine with her being good at poisons/medicine (it's what the manga is about) but she needs to fail at some point or the story is boring. Her only flaw I can think of is "telling it like it is" which is the lamest flaw imaginable because it isn't one and it never gets her in trouble. This is CSI: Imperial Palace except the main character has the "who dun it" epiphany at the start of every chapter instead of near the end so it's less interesting. And there's a lot more cheesecake.

Some of the following are fine but I feel like theres already a ton for how short this manga is:
- Seems like she is supposed to be a teenager or young adult but seems to have the knowledge of someone twice her age.
- Knows every poison, herb, disease this side of the Pacific. (It's what the manga is about so it's fine)
- Probably knows everything and more than some elderly looking doctor who works at the Imperial Palace.
- Is supposed to be plain looking, is actually pretty but hides it!
- Is a CSI forensics expert despite being billed as an herbalist.
- Comes across a dead body, reaction: "Yep, see this sorta thing all the time down at the precinct brothel."
- Extremely socially adept, noticing something as subtle as a concubine's color scheme being off despite being in a situation she's not familiar with.
- Teaches a woman with boobs bigger than her head what a titjob is.
- Sews a little pocket into her shirt and is begged by everyone (including professional seamstresses) to teach them how to do it.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

The threat of certain death isn't real, yes, but it matters that characters treat as if it were. We watch her struggle to hold her tongue, and do things she hates because she has very little power. Sherlock, as king poo poo of detective mountain, needs to be cajoled into taking a case, but Mao just gets ordered around.

She has the same threat of death looming over her head as someone walking on a sidewalk along a road; she'd have to gently caress extremely (jump into traffic/tell a noble to go gently caress himself) to be at risk of death. The emperor would be the biggest threat but she did him a favor by getting his favorite pair of tits back online. I feel like you've read something that wasn't there.

Edit: I totally forgot she's a poison taster when thinking about her chances of death. No one, including herself, expects her to die from it though so its fine.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 23, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

Mao is in a political minefield of courtly politics, and could be killed by a rival consort, a noble, etc., with no consequences for those people.

I'm not sure about your life circumstances, but in my personal daily commute there are very few people allowed to kill me. I could tell everyone in my workplace to gently caress themselves, but executing me would still be frowned on. I think you're mistaking a limited body count for the absence of danger.

Are we reading the same manga? Because none of this comes up. She's friends with 3/4 of the most important people she interacts with daily and hasn't really talked to the other concubine that much from what I read. She has been spoken to by the emperor and could easily get out of trouble. Nobles with attached testicles aren't even allowed to be in the same area as her 99% of the time. You're inserting your fanfiction into your reading of this manga.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

She's a poison tester who is a slave in the Imperial Court.

She could:
* get poisoned ( she almost died once )
* let a poison pass through ( gets executed )
* be killed by someone covering up a plot ( murdered )
* anger a rival by being too good at detecting poisons ( murdered )
* reject any noble who wants her body ( ditto )
* offend any noble whatsover for any reason ( ditto )
* be sold to any noble ( prob. worse than death )

Royal courts throughout history are insanely toxic hellstorms of cliques, maneuverings and murderings. The current plot arc is about a fellow maid being murdered, and that person was higher ranked than Mao is. All these scenarios are implicit in the setting, and don't need to be explicitly spelled out one by one. I mean, remember when her dispatcher dragged her away, and she just thought "oh, I'm going to be raped now"? That's some serious loving danger right there, and should be a signifier of the level of vulnerability she and the other maids have.

Most of your bullet points are just things you've made up that could happen to her. It's like me saying that you could be killed by someone you pissed off in the McDonald's drive-thru or just swerved into while you were walking down the street because someone wanted to feel the thrill of killing someone. I don't recall her ever showing any restraint besides not calling the emperor a gently caress head and until she starts acting like her life is in serious danger by trying to be more tactful, everything you've stated is just made up head canon you're applying to this detective manga. Until any of this starts happening then it's just your head canon you've made up to justify your "her life is more dangerous than Sherlock Holmes so the story is better" argument. Which is ridiculous now that I think about it considering he solves crimes for a living and probably has to tangle with the 1800's british version of the mob.

MonsieurChoc posted:

She's constantly thinking about it every time she encounters someone of higher rank. Every time she gets a request she reads it as "Do this or I will have you killed", to the surprise of her superiors who don't want to kill her.

No she isn't or she wouldn't drag another concubine's retainer by the hair or threaten them constantly. And while the punishment isn't death, most people would be in serious poo poo if they received a command from a superior and instead of just doing it they reeeee'd on the floor screaming like an autist. It's not remarkable that she does what's she's told and it's not remarkable that the punishment is death, because it's a situation that won't happen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I lightened up on the manga after agreeing with other posters that it is pretty much Sherlock Holmes/Detective Conan/CSI and not any of the things you've imagined up in your head. Not only has nothing been shown that she acts as though her life is in danger, she is a solo protagonist and therefore cannot die, so any death scares are laughable. Regardless, I accept your weakass concession speech.