Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey! So have any of you ever seen The Mist or read the Stephen King novel it's based on? Well, if you enjoyed either, you'd really enjoy Hakaijuu, which is sort of the same "Alien creatures suddenly killing everybody" except in Tokyo. Some amazingly tense horror stuff-- beware, though, it's pretty :nws: with respect to violence. No sexual content, however, but it's really gory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Crossposting with the "Convince Someone To Read A Manga With One Image" thread.

Thermae Romae

It's the story of a 2nd century Roman architect who is one day transported while bathing to a bathhouse in modern Japan.

It's pretty hilarious, despite the somewhat rough art!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Oh hey, remember that Shaft anime from 3 years ago called Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru? The manga releases were modestly popular, but the last one was in June 2011. Well, a whole shitload of new ones were just posted.

E: Looks like they got taken down. Still up on kissmanga, though.

Awesome! I just love Soredemo, the drawing style is just kind of cute and innately appealing to me, in addition to being really good expressive art. I also like how most of the chapters don't even really involve the maid cafe gimmick and are just amusing tales about the colorful characters that live around town. It's a really good manga. :)

EDIT: Oh dear God, the ending of chapter 42. :stonk:

EDIT2: Oh gosh, the chapters exploring the relationship between Lobstergirl and Hotori's younger brother are soooo adorable! I could die!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 11, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kleptobot posted:

Here's a new one with the "tsundere" trait played painfully, frighteningly straight: Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru. The artwork is pretty good but the story...holy poo poo. I think I need to lie down for a bit.

It's nice to see someone finally taking the piss out at the whole stupid "tsundere" thing and exposing it for how, in real life, it'd be a serious, violent mental illness. I also like how it's told from the viewpoint of the "fat sidekick" kid. Looking forward to seeing where this is going!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think the author of "Mozuya-San" is a woman, judging by the short autobiographical comic at the beginning.

Apparently, Kentaro Miura is doing a short miniseries called Gigantomakhia. Lots of giant weird monsters, huge organic structures, very "Moebius"-ish.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hello fellow earthlings! Do you like single dad manga like Yotsuba& and Beelzebub Bunny Drop? Then Silver-Haired Nina makes a pretty good entry in this category!

It's pretty enjoyable in that "makes you smile a bit" way.

v- R-really? I didn't see that so much in the bit I'd read, but I guess if it's that bad, then never mind. :stare: -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 8, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

I read the novella and enjoyed it more than I expected. Are there any other translated Japanese novellas that aren't about getting it on with handicapped half-sisters?

Spice and Wolf! I've been reading the books on interlibrary loan, and it's neat to experience the characters' thoughts and have things explained that the anime can't really show.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Do you like Hayao Miyazaki movies? Did you know that he made a manga before Nausicaa? Did you know that it's in COLOR??

It's this: Shuna no Tabi

Read it!

EDIT: And for good measure here's another thing he's done under a different pen-name. Sabaku no Tami

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've just been sort of bemused at "Mozuya-San"'s more recent chapters lately, but the latest chapter is actually pretty decent. I was quite surprised to learn that the author is a woman; she has a very "masculine" drawing style.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Here's an interesting one, not sure if it's been linked here yet.

The Ancient Magus Bride.

A skull-headed magician from England purchases a human girl on a slave market and takes her to his home to teach her to become his apprentice. I've only read the first chapter, but it looks well-drawn and spooky, and I like the focus on Western folklore, like with "fey folk" and the like.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

New Century Godslayer -- God erases the world and entrusts its recreation to his delinquent layabout son. Hilarity ensues.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ana Satsujin

This is one of those ":stare: This is really dark/strange/disturbing, but I can't stop reading it" mangas. Basically, a suicidal shut-in peeps at female serial murderer who murders in her bedroom, and things kind of go on from there. It's pretty messed-up, but strangely compelling.

EDIT: Got rid of url -- available on MangaBox.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 1, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I found something that's pretty cool.

Ponko of the Stars and Reiko of the Tofu Shop

It's an adorable story where two young kids meet a space alien saleswoman who sells them a magic box that can copy anything. It's very :3: up until the moment when Ponko eats the little brother's soul, turns into a succubus, and then Reiko grows up and leads an armed raid on a Yakuza compound.

I have no idea where it's going, but it's the perfect combination of :kimchi: and :psyboom:!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Latest Ponko of the Stars.

S-Somehow it's turning out as a happy story again..? Wh-what? This can't be fine, can it?! :psyduck:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Hoo Ray, a new chapter of And Still The Town Turns.

Haha, the cover's great. I like that, out of all of them, it's the plus-size girl that's doing the pantyshot.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sydnesider posted:

This is still :perfect: So many great jokes, "I'll go up a Mukkuri level by morning" and the girls' pose on page 30. Wait what happened to the mystery of the red painting??

Yeah, it's definitely one of my faves! I like how it's ostensibly got maids for the otaku appeal crowd, but over the course of the manga it's really more of a slice of life about the various quirky people living in the neighborhood. I kind of wish it was being released in tankobon format here in the States -- is there any sort of movement from Crunchyroll from licensed simulpubs to physical books? Because I'd totally buy volume releases of Soremachi!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

coathat posted:

This is the good poo poo. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/taki-takanosuke-no-sanpo-jikan-r15006

Meet Taki Takanosuke, an elderly gentleman who likes taking walks. Along the way, he also manages to capture the hearts of many women.

Except for the second chapter where a child falls in love with him and he pets her on the head. It's more than a little bit questionable...

This, however, is one of the most disturbing manga I've ever read -- not in a creepy way! It's somehow enhanced by the fact that it's drawn like a children's cartoon in that abstract, simplified style. It reminds me of this anti child abuse commercial.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Young girl has crush on older gentleman, older gentleman pats her on the head exactly like he does her cats

Truly disgusting

It's the way it's presented, with the drawings and so on, more than the fact of it. I dunno. It rubbed me the wrong way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've been really enjoying the latest arc of "Stravaganza". Of course, the art has always been fantastic, but once it stopped being quite so much about :sonia: and developed something of a story it's just been fantastic. A shame it updates so infrequently.

In the latest chapter, we had some excellent action! The artist really knows how to draw people moving!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's not creepy to begin with, the characters are adults.

But basically if you want to start with an action story that has no fanservice whatsoever, it starts with chapter 8: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Stravaganza-Isai-no-Hime/Vol-002-Ch-008--Raid?id=223437

The rest are basically just short stories about daily life in the kingdom.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Found a really neat manga Area 51. It's done in that high-contrast Frank Miller/Sin City style, it's about a lady detective with a gun in a town inhabited by all sorts of creepy ghoulies and aliens and legendary things -- Area 51! It's quite stylish-looking and the action is well-drawn, it flows off the page like it was actually animated!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RubberLuffy posted:

Only took a few pages and I was like "this is by the Nobunagun person", and yep sure enough it is. The art in that was striking and had a lot of cool things going on. This looks the same.

Ah! I thought it looked familiar!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That Works posted:

Post/av/ username combo going on here is a bit intense.

Serious Frolicking probably got hit by that random person who's buying everyone anime fanservice avatars, because as long as I've been going to ADTRW, he's never had an avatar at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

its super rapey

its sad too bc akumetsu is fuckin rad

Akumetsu kind of sorta reads like an internet conspiracy theory / survivalist / sovereign citizen / Objectivist tract with the main character's monologues!