Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I Am Mising: Hahaha, as soon as he said "As far as possible!", i knew what was going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, he wrote Hohzuki Island?

That explains why the art seemed so familiar to me. He draws some mean angular face features.
Also why i got a kind of sleazy vibe from the art style despite the complete lack of fanservice, i guess.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
By the way, I Am Missing (geez the original title is so long) has had, i think, two new updates since the last time it was discussed in the thread.

We're back to the present! And the Girl decides to falcon punch someone right in the face.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Find out what? That it's finished? The translations were on a long hiatus for a while so it's pretty likely it's already finished.
The end of the recently scanlated Vol 18 also explicitly says "The story ends with the next volume". Or maybe the beginning of 19 said it was the last one, either or. The first few chapters of Vol 19 are already scanlated, so we're missing like a handful of chapters, tops.

/edit: Here, end of Vol. 18:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 19, 2013

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, I don't know what it is about pretty much every single chapter of I Am Missing that puts me completely on edge when I read them. But man, is it such a god drat great series, and it really sucks that it's monthly.

A new chapter came out, and it seems that the series may be wrapping up, based on some things said during it/the chapter title. So basically, the next few chapters will likely be go time and even MORE intense than previous ones.

Although with what happens with Ken'ya, it might continue on for longer yet after the current predicament with the serial murderer concludes, with exploring the whole "time-jumper" aspect more thoroughly.

Man, the author really stuck gold this time with that story. His other works never really gripped me, and this time he even did it without any real semblance of fanservice.

I mean he used one of the oldest cliffhangers in the book, but it's still well executed and working so much.

As an aside, i know it was more or less just a sarcastic jab at the situation, but i googled for this "Swapped Man" by Poe and came up with nothing. Is that a real book or was Ken'ya just being witty with his dialogue traps?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Guess what's back from the dead?

That's right, it's Crime and Punishment, gently caress yes!

After i think JManga licensed this, the previous translator (the one doing Boys on the Run, btw) stopped translating this.. A sad day, especially because JManga didn't even let me pay to continue reading. It went under a while after anyways, but the translator (who was really good and put a lot of thought into what he does and why) said he had no plans to pick up back up again. An even sadder day.

But when i went looking for more Dowman Sayman, i stumbled across the page of someone who apparently picked this back up. Haven't checked the translation for quality yet, but i'm so pumped for it anyways. Gotta dig out the first 4 volume scans and get back up to speed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The carefreeness with which they approached the premise was a little off-putting at first, but it really makes sense, if you're willing to attribute the missing reation of "DID I JUST WITNESS MAGIC" to comedy.

She gets cloned, but she's not the angsty sort of teenager, so her immediate reaction isn't an existential crisis, but "cool!". Apart from that, it's established this is a temporary thing and the two are exactly identical, so it does not at all matter to her 'who' actually comes out on top of the contest - she's still gonna be there.
Not that she (and i mean both of them) really have any trace of doubt who it's gonna be. Haha, no chance in hell that i'm going to fall for that cardboard cut-out loser, right? I mean, it's me! I know myself best, and that over there is literally me. Now she has a best buddy as the original, and can live out some stupid stuff without repercussions as the copy. It's kinda the same mentality as using a copy skill on your video game avatar to send one of them scouting into extreme danger, because hey, there's still one of me left!

It works for a while, until people start to realize that the two might not me quite so identical at all and that the outcome of the experiment isn't set in stone.
It's not some kind of psychological horror-thriller by any means, but the author takes great care to slowly make the two distinct and let the characters around them realize it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

New Hero Union BBS.

:darksouls:

(If you're not reading this, you should.)

It's like i traveled back to the year 2005, the misaligned Impact font, the thumbnail-size resolutions... What a blast from the past.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

There is literally not a single character in Dorohedoro I do not like a lot.
At first I kinda wanted to say i don't like En for turning Nikaido into a no-agency mind-controlled nazi damsel in distress, but that's more on the author for introducing that dumb as gently caress storyline. Good on her for dropping that relatively quickly, though. That aside, En is really okay, though not as rad as literally every other character in this kickass manga.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Izumi Konata posted:

wow dude. i am on chapter 60/132 rn. experiencing a major breakthrough with the plot development.

how do you people read these things so fast? i think i might be borderline retarded since i can't read as fast as all of you. it would take me 2 weeks to get to where u are at and i am glad u used spoiler tags.

Don't read Dorohedoro fast, just take your time and look at something other than the text bubbles occasionally, like the great architectural art, and the creative points of the character designs (the masks)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The one bad thing about Dorohedoro is that when you're done reading it and want more like it, you're SOL.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This is interesting but not at all what i thought it would be from the description

And drat, what a cliffhanger.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dungeon Meshi is real good. Not holy balls amazing, like let's say OPM, but reaaaaaaallllll good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you wanna read a decently written tragedy, try Ikigami instead. The premise is kinda ridiculous, but some of the stories really nail the balance between uplifting and depressing.
Been a while since i read it, but i remember the story about the junkie being pretty powerful.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Y'all gotta see this

So apparently, Fist Of The North Star + Rose Of Versailles = Berserk

(also lol, the Berserk and Suicide Island mangaka were in the same art class, talk about disparity)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not that i'd recommend doing so, but you can also buy it (the first 2 volumes) via Humble Bundle right now. As an added deal, you can get it together with Olympic Gold winner in shark-jumping, Ajin

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Surely there is only one person named Fuuka in all of Japan, right now

Batigh posted:

The humble Japanese Truck has the highest body count in all manga history. Planetary genocides included.
Spontaneously reminds me of that one i read a while back where the MC who can "respawn" after death tries to use his rewind power to stop his love interest from getting run over by a truck, and he keeps failing. It's like the truck and the love interest are fated to meet, violently.
That story alone probably inflated the truck body count significantly.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was just running over here to spread the gospel. I'm so pumped for more Soil.

The wait is finally over. Hopefully, for good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Y'know, when someone says "CQC" in a japanese comic, i expect them to reference Metal Gear, and not Splinter Cell
1.5/10, would maybe read again

edit: also that loving half-life wallpaper

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Do not feel bad for bad translators

Catch-22, you only have to feel bad for translators if their translation is bad

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

As the reader you shouldn't feel bad for them anyway because good translation is invisible

That's kinda what i meant, good translation is invisible. You only need to feel bad for someone, even good translators, when it catches your eye somewhere and you notice this was probably hard to do. If a translation is so good int's transparent or seems effortless, no reason to feel bad. :shrug:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I've noticed that I'm a huge sucker for manga where either 1. a group of people are forced to play some sort of Death Game* (either due to the rules or due to some time limit) and don't know who the culprit is or 2. a group of people is thrust into a post-apocalyptic scenario with monsters and poo poo. Even if I know it's bad, I still enjoy reading them. A good example is that manga by the Boku Dake ga Inai Machi author with the kids trapped in a sinking ship or something. It is not a very good manga but I'm almost always fine with different iterations of that same premise.

*I might even go as far as to say this is its own genre.
I'm kinda like this, too. The death game thing also involves "downloads weird app and is now a contender in some sort of underground magical death match", right? because that seems to be a common thing, too.

Aside from the Sprite suggestion above for number two, here's a couple other names mostly for the death game genre i have lying around. No comments on their quality, they vary greatly. Some are extremely trash, some are just trashy. You'll quickly figure out what's what.

Not Lives (or sometimes Not Alive?)
Darwin's Game
Alice in Borderland
Kingdom Game
Doubt (or sometimes Rabbit Doubt)

I've read Dorohedoro like 3 times already, every time it seemed like the scans pick up again. I think this time i'm just gonna wait until it's finished.
Eh, who am i kidding

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Erg posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kamisama-no-Iutoori

I was actually getting ready to link this, it's like a billion chapters long of death games

I can't check it right now, but is that the Daruma doll one? If not, i'll definitely have to dig that one out again, too. Can't believe i forgot about it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Adding it to my to-read list, then.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress takes life advice, or any advice, from manga

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

I find the advice from Dungeon Meshi very useful.

When making that post, i actually considered mentioning Dungeon Meshi as an exception (or any manga by that author, really), but went for brevity instead.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
More Dungeon Meshi hot off the presses: Specter Showdown with surprise guests, and the most horrifying recipe yet.

It's not a good day to be part of Laius' group.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

You know, I want to thank you for turning me on to this, because this one is hilarious; idiots being terrible at each other and the world at large can be some of my favorite comedy ever, and this has delivered every chapter so far.

Well, color me interested then. The tags, cover and synopsis on manga sites would've probably made me skip it if i had come across it randomly, but i'll give it a try.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If anyone's reading it, the latest chapter of The Little Match Girl is pretty fuckin great for reasons i can't detail in advance.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Metal Pink Babble posted:

This one struck me as something of extreme production quality. The wavering presence and absence of morality is refreshing to say the least, and drat this is one stylish as f*** manga.
Yeah, i like it, and it's stylish. It's also not just "lovely person gets hosed over by their shittyness" every chapter, like it seems at the start, so it's not a one-trick pony.

Anyways, i've been re-reading Sekitou Elegy and it's so good. I need to immortalize this perfection in form of a couple photo here, so i can check on it every once in a while.

This is your reminder to read it if you haven't already.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Trainwreck? The only thing that gets wrecked is their bed :grin:

edit: and a few bikes tbf

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 22, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I checked out Fire Punch since i've seen the name thrown around a little and the first chapter WHAO

I should've done that sooner, i'm a sucker for revenge stories, even for bad ones, and that's one hell of a setup for one. Not averse to trashiness in that regard, so i'm fine with the relentless misery, but it's a lil over the top still.
I just hit Togata's first introduction and man, i love that dude. If the manga can keep that special brand of wackiness to mix with the super-tragedy, it might just balance out a little. Go Togata!

Not exactly award material tho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I still have a ways to go there, but i get the feeling it won't be long enough for my taste. Still on chapter 10:

Yes! YES!!

edit: The translation hosed up the line somewhat, but I know. I know that Togata's quoting Commando.
I'm in love.

edit2: She cut out the battle scene. God damnit. Ok i'll stop reaction posting now for real though

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
OK, this really took a weird left turn after the city arc (or slightly before it actually), but that left turn brought me Dark Souls Wolverine giving people the Biggest Middle Finger, so i'm still fine with it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Next chapter of To You, The Immortal

Happy End!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I feel like I'm finally starting to enjoy fire man and it's like chapter 19, feels like up to then it hid behind a lot of ~wacky~ disorganized thoughts and relied too hard on meta meta "hey isn't the story dumb and boring right now?? But hey I pointed it out!!!"

For all the problems Fire Punch actually has, this is just finding faults where there are none. Not sure what the ~wacky disorganized thoughts~ are about, maybe you're just referring to the strange pace that someone who suffers no consequences for anything puts the rest of the cast through a lot of the time. But some kind of meta meta (whatever that means) "this sucks lol amirite but i'm doing it anyway" never actually happens.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh hey, good timing, just before i hit Submit. You'll like this then.

Might as well write some of that poo poo out, since i've been thinking a lot about Fire Punch the past day or so.
(Warning: this ends up being a long-rear end post, also :siren: SPOILERS! :siren:)
And by Fire Punch i probably mean more or less exclusively Togata, since he basically hijacked the story at the moment of introduction. I'm still not sure whether the author intended for that in the first place or not, which is a problem i'll come back to in a bit.

I barely even remember most of what happens in chapters 1-8 (a.k.a. pre-Togata) but it sets up a relatively normal comic story, with some characters, motivations, and a base outline of the world with room for completion. It's not even bad at it, it even sets up the antagonist with a relatable motivation for slaughtering an entire village: he's set up as somewhat of a valiant crusader facing omnipresent hardship and neccessary evil with a clear goal, and he happens upon a village where every home has human meat on the plates. And they're not just something like one or two voluntary sacrifices, as bad as that would already be, no- these are the arms of at least several dozen people. The implications are clear. And this is a man who'd rather starve to death than eat another, so he razes the entire village. For the benefit of all mankind, really.
These kinds of stories go on for a while, like the protagonist meets and rescues an abandoned up-beat little child to throw some conflict into the revenge motivation, he meets someone who can stop him and show him the limits of his current abilities, and so on. The kind of things you'd expect a comic like these to have. It has its tone and setting, it sticks to them but slowly develops them / fleshes them out, like how these blessings work and how they appear, what humanity's doing when it's not currently visible near the main character, what the rough technologic level is, the state of society.

Then Togata enters the scene. Togata has already seen it all. Togata's already been around for hundreds of years of people being miserable and making others miserable, and would much rather practice escapism via watching movies with interesting scenarios and other ways to live than lose his mind. But... humanity's not making movies anymore, so the resources are ultimately limited. Togata's too old for this poo poo, and doesn't care about anything except movies.

So, finally forced to face :airquote:reality:airquote: again, Togata decides: if this life is so garbage, maybe i should make it more like a movie. Let's make a movie! Movies are great, so this life aas seen in a movie would be better, right? So Togata takes the main character's life in this comic story, and tries to force it to comply to movie rules.

With some sweet action shots and close ups!

Bad rear end one liners! (shamelessly stolen from other movies) (but really just likes movie quotes)

Character building moments to establish the stakes!

But here comes the catch: It's all in-story. We've never left the paper so far. Togata doesn't actually live in a movie. He just lives, and :airquote:real life:airquote: gives as much of a poo poo about Togata as it is the other way around. With all the genre-aware ribbing and lamp-shading, the references and winks, they are never aimed at the reader behind the fourth wall. Togata only ever winks at his own camera. Predictably, trying to force Hollywood pacing and structure on the real world (even if it does actually follow story-telling rules behind the layer of abstaction called the fourth wall) goes poorly.

Turns out your cool self-recorded action footage is really just unwatchable garbage.

This is probably the scene that a poster above criticised for "making a dumb decision but it's okay because i point it out".
But really, it's just Togata being mad at things not going his way. Who would've thought that a blessing that lets you quickly heal any injuries and tolerate them to a great degree would probably find a lot of use in an elite soldier unit???
Especially since these people live a long time, So they keep staying in the unit while the normies die/retire and get replaced with more potential regenerators. Baffling, really. Why don't they let more fire users risk their death instead of potentially using their heat to do their part in acting against this frozen apocalypse?

He just keeps trying to strongarm "reality" into movie tropes. Sometimes, "reality's" (this comic's) tropes line up, and we get the dramatic background reveal when the main character meets a look-alike of his sister. Sometimes, they don't and to get some proper enemy ability users, he has to go fishing for convicted criminals and murderers to get a diverse set up and then at least dresses them up like the Avengers. (Spoilers: Things don't really work out, again. Who'da thunk.) His Main Character can't even really do poo poo aside from looking cool (when he's not naked for once) and being determined, so he even has to teach him how to fight and make proper one-liners and all from the ground up. It's a constant up-hill struggle for some slight entertainment in this boring and lovely life for Togata, while the rest of the world doesn't really give a poo poo and basically just goes along with what they were already doing, making some small concessions in the grand plan since you can't really go against a force like Togata.

That is, until the author comes in. This is where it gets difficult. Let's take a step out of the story and behind the paper now (this is why i put reality in quotes all the time up to now.) Dude obviously likes movies, and Togata's knowledge isn't just lip service, so Togata might very well just be an author self-insert. I dunno. Let's take a look at a cool part first.

The author doesn't just let Togami try to make his manga into a movie, he even sometimes indulges Togata's "vision" when in his vicinity. What i mean is, that this comic stops being paneled and framed and starts being shot instead. Check out this sequence of pages, coming just before most of the pages shown above:

The whole sequence was kinda confusing to follow visually and weirdly laid out when i read it the first time, and that's because the author isn't playing to the strength of his medium. Imagine this whole thing as a camera scene and suddenly it comes together:
Scene change cut to overhead of a speeding train. Angle changes to the front of the train and the camera closes in, entering through the conductors cabin and giving us a glimpse into the first wagon. Camera view changes to the side of the train and it now slowly lets the train "pass" in travel direction, showing us a sliding view of the cabin interiors. It scrolls by the first and second cabin with each soldier squad, the third with the officers, the fourth one with materials and the final fifth one with the "target": The box. It introduces the set of the next scene, each "stage" of the fight separately, detailing the flow of this next set piece in advance, before zooming in at the goal of it all in the end. This is straight up a movie scene, and it works beautifully as one.

That's why it's so awkward on paper, too: a comic's strengths lie entirely elsewhere, and you need to make up for the lack of flow and motion with things like paneling layout, perspective changes, and the fact that you can cram a lot more detail into any one moment. There's a million ways you could have made this scene work better in a manga, but as a camera shot, it's really good.

This doesn't happen all the time, but if you look out for it, there's more moments around Togata that would've worked well shot with a camera instead of drawn with a pen. It's also nice that while Togata's comments about movies don't always line up with the author making a manga, some things about storytelling and dynamics are interchangeable, so when the author introduces one of the officers and builds his character in the page and a half that we've seen him into someone we want to see dead, Togata is there to explain just how the author did that, under the guise of "This is just like a movie scene!". Not just through the obvious dialogue, but the reaction upon first contact, his facial expression, his demeanor, all in a very short span. You can call it lampshading or the author patting himself on the back or whatever, but i'll choose to interpret it as this dude loving movies and going "Hey hey! This is why it works so well! Isn't that neat, what you can do with some arranged lighting, careful positioning and well-chosen acting?". And i always like hearing how the things manipulating us work.

All in all, the author set up a basic story with some impetus, and then dropped a bored immature child with power into it that runs away with it. Seeing that child struggle against the uncaring world with a power that exempts it from any consequences, and giving it a relatable obsession like movies all in all makes for some entertaining distractions.

I suppose i should finally get to all the problems i keep alluding to, but man this post is long. I'll mention them a lot more briefly, which probably works out since they're also pretty apparent.

The shittiness of people is unrelenting in this. If it weren't for a certain someone providing an excellent counterweight, it would be overbearing (and it is in the first few chapters).
The art is only serviceable. Dude has a good grasp on movement, anatomy, framing, all that good basic poo poo, for comics AND movies both, but it's all unpolished, no gloss. Not neccessarily a negative, but there's much nicer things to look at.
The author starts to falter a little bit in regards to the established setting a little later on. There's still nobody who winks at the reader or acknowledges a fourth wall, not even the newest cast member, but he does things like giving Togata some movie set-ups long after Togata stopped really caring about shooting the movie.
After the city arc, the thing kinda runs out of steam a little, together with Togata. It feels like the author might not be sure where to go with it, and you get the impression that he might not really have anything planned out long-term, story or plot-wise (if the rude mood whiplash of Togata's appearance didn't already convince you of this in Chp.9). Things like the abducted and enslaved kid the MC met is released, but they don't really reunite and has barely any presence. You can attribute this to the tone of the story being "no poo poo, they didn't really have anything in common, these things don't work out". Togata's two followers just kinda vanish even as soon as the city arc starts, never to be heard from again. Some actual X-Men show up, but by this point Togata's already sorta disillusioned, and they don't amount to much and are just kinda around for a while. We start to get more and more backstory dumped on us, and not in the organic fashion that the author displayed in earlier chapters, but just by Togata going "this is what it was like" while hacking off a human face, forever. The world building suddely feels forced and kinda like "uuh, i need to go somewhere from here" instead of letting a story play out through its actors.
The ages start to not really make sense anymore. Togata's about 300 years old and and has experienced just the very tail end of the "warm days" before the ice age. Then there's someone introduced with about a thousand years, also a transhumanist, and (transhu)mankind has left Earth. What did Mister 1k do in the 700 years before Togata/the ice age? How is the remaining humanity still at the shown tech level after interstellar colonization happened? How the hell do they still have bullets and cigarettes after 300 years of ice age?

I mean, the set pieces are still pretty sweet, and the long continuous 9-page action shot of Togata driving the truck is probably my favorite scene in this. But the scenes where everything works together to create that amazing mix of unpredictable weirdness get rarer.

To be fair, it's still way too early to make any guesses towards the newest cast member's role in the story and how he's going to make it all fit. I'm hoping for the best so the pace gets out of this rut it's been in. He at least has his heart in the right place.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

That is way too many words for a series like Fire Punch. I think it's kinda bad and all over the place in terms of tone and story.

I thought the same until i, well, thought a little about why i enjoyed reading it after all, and that led me to notice things like the camera movements through the world and such. It's neater than it seems at first, but i still think the author doesn't really know what he's doing, and it'll probably fall off hard whenever he runs out of neat conematographic gimmicks to put to paper.

But, basically this:

Ytlaya posted:

For all its flaws, the series is good enough that I'm curious about what's going to happen next and want to keep following it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You didn't read that right. It's not "i wanna see what happens next -> it's good enough", it is "it's good enough -> i wanna see what happens next". These are different things.

Also, of the Apocalypse didn't even keep my morbid curiosity, Mahou Shoujo Site at least got me to the most recent chapter on that

edit for clarification:

Captain Invictus posted:

It's ok to enjoy things that are bad
I'm not arguing against this.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think i'll wait for Dedede to end before i invest the time in it.

Can anyone recommend me a series that is (at least partially) from the POV of the villain? Something like Death Note or Dexter. Doesn't neccesarily need to be Seinen i guess (Death Note isn't, after all), but bonus points if it's more psychological than supernatural villainy.