Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Dear ADTRW,

I recently started reading manga again and have been out of the loop for about a decade. I've read some of the bigger names like Boys On The Run, Punpun and I Am A Hero, but for the most part I have been very much out of the loop. What are the bestest things to have come out in this timeframe. I'm very much into anything, so not at all bothered about genres.

Thanks in advance!

Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction by the Punpun guy. I read somewhere on this forum that this perfectly encapsulates the casual bleakness/hopelessness of Gen Z and as someone with a Gen Z sister, yeah it's great.
Girls' Last Tour's ending has stuck with me for a long, long time.
My Dress-up Darling is great series that once you get past all the fanservice (or you can be into it you do you). Its anime just finished airing but the really great stuff that touches on a lot of gender performativity comes after what the anime covers.
Echoing the recs of Delicious in Dungeon and Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (last one isn't seinen but whatever). Also Blank Canvas but I can't bring myself to finish it because it's going to destroy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

At this point, I figure "meandering" is part of Urasawa's charm. He has always taken his time to load up the next emotional payoff, and in my opinion it's not always super successful or worth the time. Not everything lands but they're really, really good when they do. And hey what''s my time worth anyway (nothing).

That said, I'm really enjoying Asaodra and especially the latest english volume of with several characters' subplots climaxing simultaneously, leading into Asa's first encounter with the kaiju as a teen and the resulting night flying scene.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

I hardly read manga, but this one is good enough that I want all 153 chapters as a complete set in English. Since I'm not familiar, does anyone know the best place I should be watching for something like that to appear?

Do you mean like, as a box set? Because the English physical release is currently up to Volume 14. They're are all readily available and can all be bought right now, just individually.

Otherwise, there's no box set or anything currently. Blood on the Tracks is published by Vertical, now wholly owned by Kodansha, so if you want to keep an eye out their twitter account is probably a good bet. They usually group up announcements by season, with their Fall announcements usually in Oct or Nov.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Any new (last 5 years) horror or thriller manga with a more 'serious' feel to recommend? By serious I guess I mean something with less of a splatter/b-movie vibe - Manhole, Monster, and Homunculus are good examples of what I'm looking for.

Not strictly horror but it might fit your vibe, read Innocent/Innocent Rouge by Shinichi Sakamoto. Or #drcl but that's not finished yet.

Gannibal also sounds right up your alley.

I really like Kasane, though more of a psychological horror.

For something maybe a little more outside what you're looking for, I really like The Girl from the Other Side. It's a fairy tale horror thing as opposed to a modern slasher horror though.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Oh neat, that should definitely be one of those that get an extended episode 1 ala oshi no ko so they get to the volume 1 drop immediately.

The origin of its rather eclectic name just dropped in a recentish chapter and it rules lol.