Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I started reading I am a hero, not expecting to like it.

I did, though. It's a little different from the super-played out Dawn of the Dead style zombies.

I feel bad how so far all three of Suzuki's male-friends got offed. The manga guy, the bacon guy and the camera guy.:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Well, to be fair the manga guy was kinda a huge creep who committed literal crimes against their female coworker. Not that that justifies him being killed, but I'm not sure that we're supposed to miss him.

Oh, I didn't feel bad for him, I felt bad for Suzuki. He all in all tries to be a stand up guy from the looks of things.

edit:

:stare: This is turning into Prototype.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I got around to finishing Akumetsu.

After 200~ so deaths, apparently Shou dieing can still be sad. :qq:

Considering how crazy the series was, the ending was sobering and almost down to earth.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I agree for the most part.

I think that one of the things that should've been done is either focus on Shiina more or just not have her in it at all. I expected her to be there as a sort of barometer of how the public was affected by it but she kinda slid away.

The ending felt way too forced, yeah. Generally I don't like sad endings, but I really don't think that it fit the tone of the series. I was wondering if I missed the page that had "And now for a very special epsiode of Akumetsu".

Maybe I'm just being bitter.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Kimi No Knife still ongoing?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Suicide Island is pretty good, but I'm wondering if his dog or his romantic interest will be the next thing to die to keep Sei miserable.

The acceptance of the transgendered women was very :3:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Sloooooooooooooooooooooowly. It's updated within the last week.

EDIT: Or do you mean in Japan? It's complete there.

I was wondering both, really.

It makes me think of Breaking Bad meets Death Note.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

toanoradian posted:

Here's something I just found: Haru no Houtai Shujo. It's about a boy and a girl who are dating each other, whose town is currently being troubled by serial arson. Turns out the boy may have something to do with them and end up burning the girl.

The manga has a nice sense of mystery alongside typical high-school antics. The main pair has their genuinely adorable and dark moments. I just hope it won't get too action-y later.

I can't quite tell if he's supposed to have some kind of ~magic power~ or if he's just a pyromaniac. The former would be kinda lame.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Unrelatedly I liked Parasyte but it was sorta a letdown how it got kinda Shounen battle manga-y.

I tend to like the inverse of that, where something starts off kinda shounen/shoujo-y and then gets darker and weirder. Probably due to playing so much Earthbound.:v:

Mirai Nikki was kinda like that but I couldn't stand either of the leads and was very dissapointed when they got to live happily ever after.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I liked Death Note and Mirai Nikki, with the whole trying to figure out who your enemy actually is thing. Is there any other series good for that sort of thing?

Captain Invictus posted:

So what do people think of Flowers of Evil? I'm a bit over a dozen chapters in, fluctuating wildly between "gently caress this stupid series" and "hmm, this is potentially interesting" seemingly every other chapter.

For those who've read all that's out so far, answer this for me, yes or no is fine: does Takao ever move past being horribly clingy to Nakamura whenever she insinuates that she'll abandon him? I almost feel like if he does, the series will end right there, since she seems to be more of a main character than him. Like, she's not even really interesting so far, and it's weird how a school allows a middle-schooler to just openly insult the teachers and swear at them and straight up not do tests without anything more punishing than a stern talking-to.

Things change but it's kinda hard to tell if it'll be in an engaging way or not so far.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

pentyne posted:

Some of the author's notes go into a lot more detail but it seems to be highly accurate. There's a line about how a US medical surgery intern has about 10x more operational experience then most Japanese residents/attending doctors that shocked me, but after further reading it makes sense because a single medical mistake in Japan is enough to end an entire career. And more senior doctors who make mistakes will often force a subordinate to take blame and quit in shame.

Guess that's why in Trauma Center, messing up one case was a game over.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised there seems to be some ho-humming about Parasyte up in here, I seem to remember it as a pretty awesome series.

Parasyte got some real fatigue near the end.

Autonomous Monster posted:

So. Kimi no Knife is fully scanned. And the ending was... okay?

The actual climax I have no problem with, though admittedly it's been so long since I started reading this I couldn't tell you if it's a good capstone to what's come before.

The denouement, though, that I have a problem with. It's too fast; far too fast. It moves at roughly ten hundred thousand miles per second, and the events it covers really need about two or even three times as much space to do them justice. It lacks weight, emotionally.

Still, everything up to that is pure gold, and I'm not generally the sort of person who thinks that a poo poo ending completely devalues everything that's gone before. A-?

I'd honestly put it with Shinigami blah blah for really bad endings. It's a really bad capstone to what comes before.

I don't think it really works together with what came before it, and I'm not sure how half-blind cripple girl managed to make it across the city in like 5 minutes to find someone who was missing faster then a police force that was trailing him..

Shiki and Kuzumi dying felt like a forgone conclusion but it was handled so badly.

I'm a person who feels endings are part of the biggest thing that defines if something is good or not. So C-.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 25, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I reread Kimi No Knife and I think other then being rushed the biggest problem of the ending is that nothing was foreshadowed other then the pair of guys who tried to kill Shiki. The whole last arc felt more or less in it's own bubble from the rest of the story.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there any good, high-tension drama/mystery/whatever manga that are not weirdly fetishistic with any horror that might get involved?

Captain Invictus posted:

I was actually going to post whether Suicide Island had gone on hiatus or had been dropped by the people scanlating it, what a nice surprise. :3:

Well, nice surprise...initially, of course. With what's happening in the latest two chapters, well, I'm really wondering where it's going to go from here.

Not really a spoiler, but for people who didn't notice the next chapters include "Intruder" "Assassin" and "premonition of battle" so I'll guess for the short term, things'll get tough. :ohdear:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Whatever happened to Scumbag Loser? Did the guy who made it drop that too?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can anyone summarize Boys on the Run? So far it's not terribly interesting.

I like series with more direction then it has so far, I guess.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Gantz and Kaiji are kinda cool because of the co-operation/backstabbing thing they had going on. I didn't read much of Gantz but is there anything like them? Yuureitou seemed like it might be that due to the pages linked but apparently it goes downhill so.. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I re-read Akumetsu and it really feels like the author went off his meds near the start.

It had an interesting premises but it goes off the rails so hard.

e: I think my problem with it is that the whole thing is sorta kicked off in revenge for his friend dying, but he more or less shows disregard for everyone else.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 7, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think I'm starting to get why it stopped focusing on Shou's personal life and more political executions.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I think I'm starting to get why it stopped focusing on Shou's personal life and more political executions.

Thinking about it a bit more I think the main problem was that it was the same thing for 161~ chapters. There was no real character arc. Formulaic can be amusing but it went on waaay too long.

The only execution I remember is the one at the start where he axes a dude and yells THAT'S AKUMETSU!

There's no real character arc. When it goes back to him discovering he's a clone he just accepts it. All the other clones take a pill to share his feelings and thus there's no conflict over some of them not wanting to suicide for the mission, etc etc.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Suicide Island's current cliffhanger is giving me the bluest balls. :ohdear:

It's really good, everyone should read it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
No, I was just catching up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I read Fraken Fran out of curiosity. I don't know what smilie could begin to summarize it.

e: It's like Heaven's Smiles combined with the things in the Binding of Isaac's basement.

The creator certainly has no sacred cows.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 23, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think the Sentinels are the best/worst part, though.

Also the last proper chapter. I guess it shows that she sort of cares about doing the right thing?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I just realized that the Sentinel arc in Franken Fran was a parody of Kamen Riders.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

There's been a half dozen or so new Suicide Island chapters uploaded to kissmanga in the last few days.

Things are not going well. Not at all. I am fairly dreading the next chapter.

Where did they get paint and gas on a deserted island? :iiam:

edit: Maybe their used alchohol or something for the fire. Still. Wonder what's up with the island.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 29, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Speaking of Suicide Island, I started reading Destroy and Revolution by the same guy. I like how the protagonist admits he's just doing it because he's mad and has no particular agenda of his own. :v:

It's all a metaphor for homosexuality, isn't it?!

e: Wow does it ever get crazy.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 29, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Suicide Island/Destroy and Revolution both are pretty good, though the former is much better.

I can't help but wonder if there's a plan for how it'll end, though.

Also, anyone who searches the "Smut" tag on Batato and ends up with Suicide Island will probably be dissapointed. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did Suicide Island stop getting translated?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wooooooow the ending to Shamo was almost as good as the ending to Gantz

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but it's the best ending to the series possible, really. :v:

Shamo was pretty good. It's ending was a downer but how else could it have ended?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah I guess there was no good way for it to end at this point in the story, but that's the problem. There was absolutely no reason for the story to end here, there was still a lot of plotlines left to explore.

It reminded of that manga by the guy who made Scumbag Loser kinda. Suddenly everyone started keeling over and it's over all of a sudden.

"Live by the sword, die by the sword" kinda fits.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, Aki Eda (the author of Bonnouji) has started a new manga about card games. It is... kind of weird? http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/wizards-soul-holy-war-of-love-r15381/

Note: please please please don't start sperging out about mtg here.

"Being good at it makes you popular"

The creator regrets playing a lot of Magic I take it. :v:

I do like how there's a line that boils down to "If you play blue nobody will like you."

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't wait until it gets to the ineveitable jerk villain who plays a black and white deck.

Anatharon posted:

"Being good at it makes you popular"

The creator regrets playing a lot of Magic I take it. :v:

Algid posted:

Managed to break willing suspension of disbelief on the first page.

:colbert: