Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Vesi posted:

Boku wa Mari no Naka is a body swap manga as imagined by Oshimi Shuzo (guy behind flowers of evil), it's just started picking up speed

unless you want to wait for it in glorious rotoscape

I started on the first chapter before, and stopped because I assumed it would be going in a pretty typical direction. I gave it another go because of this, and wow it's pretty great. It does a really good job of showing just how bizarre and uncomfortable that kind of situation would be. I really want more chapters to be out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Both I Am Missing and I'm In Mari updated, and boy howdy how I wish they weren't monthly. I'm In Mari moves at such a slow pace. It's good, but it doesn't accomplish much chapter to chapter. And of course there's a big fat cliffhanger at the end of this one where not much happened.

Yeah, I find the writing to be really solid, but goddamn do I wish I could read it all in one go. I mean, if the pacing were faster it'd be very different and probably not as good, but it sure makes reading at a trickle unbearable. There's no way Isao can possibly fit into the groove Mari was living in, especially when all of the indications we've had suggest that Mari wasn't particularly happy about it in the first place. All of the small mistakes he's made are creating a situation where something's got to give; either he alienates Momoka and probably the rest of Mari's friends, or (given how he's kind of cracking under pressure), lets slip that Mari *probably* isn't straight while trying to prove he's not trying to steal Momoka's boyfriend, which is going to be life-ruining in a whole different way.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

New Immortal Hounds chapter is out, and Mama is creepy. Kenzaki's a Good Cop, so it'll be interesting to see how Windchime handles her duty. If she just completely bungles trying to hit on him because she's never even thought to love someone, that would be the best. Probably a huge bummer just from what that says about her backstory, but it'd probably be amusing for a bit before getting back to grimness.

Also, :butt:

You'd think that if they wanted to deal with someone, they'd do something like sealing them in concrete until they die of old age. Infecting someone else seems like the most finicky, time-consuming business imaginable.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That's... kind of a wet fart of an ending. Most of the series was great, I don't regret reading it, and I'm sure it's difficult to wrap something like that up, but... man.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I kind of wish it was Actual M:tG, because it being that close but not quite there is really distracting to me. It'd probably be worse for the story, though.

Still gonna think of her dad as that one guy that bought like a thousand Daybreak Rangers, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

chumbler posted:

I will marry all of them.

But one of them is already married.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It's cool that you have your friends kiss girls and get to second base, you should give it a try yourself, would recommend it highly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jose posted:

kengan asura is good

This manga is dumb as hell and I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, there's no way it's not going the distance.

When I was reading the early chapters and the first human was Lu Bu, I Was literally thinking "Alright, so this is probably going to pull mostly from that part of the world, maybe a knight or two, kind of Fate style. Who would a more modern western hero even be? Simo Häyhä? That'd be neat, but it's not going to happen, these are arena fights". And then, lo and behold, there he was on the list. He'd better win his match, dammit.

Also, for someone whose crimes are kind of small potatoes in the scheme of history, Jack the Ripper sure has a lot of staying power in the collective consciousness, pretty much purely on how rad a name that is.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Caught up with Out again thanks to this thread. Ugh it's such a good series. It really just dives into "everything about gangs and gang warfare is nasty and horrible". However things end up going down at the end of this, nobody is coming away better for it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I started on Usogui and... I dunno. Three gambles in and it feels like it's falling into a lot of traps I see in gambling manga. A main character who's secretly always in control of the situation (when you really don't have enough evidence as a reader to have any idea what they're thinking, or what's going on), backing the MC into a corner way too quickly, and cheats that are just flat impossible like the very first bit of gambling being "this dealer can control exactly where the roulette ball falls. I feel like that specific bit is always such a terrible sign. And the games just aren't that interesting, either.

Basically what I'm saying is that Kaiji is a goddamn masterpiece, and Liar Game was also very good up until it wasn't.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I feel like for Usogui, you need to be invested in the metagame of "actually getting away with your winnings", and that doesn't really do it for me. It makes the actual gamble feel less important to me when it's going to inevitably just boil down into violence or threatened violence. Also it doesn't let you in the heads of the people who are actively gambling enough--in Kaiji you'll pretty much always be getting the direct thoughts of Kaiji (and often his opponent!) up until he makes the final realization he needs to pull out the win, and that's a lot more satisfying to me than having it be a mystery until the gamble is over, and then recapping the entire game.

Read Kaiji.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really enjoy Shuumatsu no Valkyrie, but I would be lying if I said that every time I read it, there wasn’t a voice screaming “GET TO SIMO HAYHA ALREADY”.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Blue Period Ch. 48 I am so, so glad that Yatora is realizing that the teachers at Geidai are Bad At Teaching. He just got a full year of getting garbage input and no support. Maybe it’s just down to what we’ve been shown, but it really feels like they never tried to actually teach anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I thought Buddha squirting blood was fun as well.
Buddha was a cool character, he will be missed.

Who was Hades' opponent going to be? The sniper?

I don’t think we’ve had fixed matchups ahead of time, we’ve just known the rosters.

Also, I really, really want Simo Hayha to win his match when it comes up. Other combatants I can take going either way, but Simo needs to win.