Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Hey, I finally got myself a tablet big enough to read manga on and I'd love some recommendations. Here's what I've read already:

Loved:
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō
Master Keaton
20th Century boys
Planetes

Liked:
I am a Hero
A bunch of Junji Ito stuff
Solanin
GTO
The one where the lad has a hideous face (Angel something?)
Pluto

Enjoyed in parts, but not crazy about :
Flowers of Evil
Shamo

Things I'm thinking of reading:
Vinland Saga by the Planetes guy.
Chihayafuru
Saint Young Men

I tend to prefer fairly grounded stuff with surreal elements rather than outright fantasy or s/f.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Oh yeah! I knew I'd missed something. I liked Pluto a lot, but I haven't read Monster because I'm told the anime is basically a frame for frame copy of the manga.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

jonjonaug posted:

You should read Devilman.

Flergatron 3000 posted:

Try some of these:

7 Seeds
Heat
Jin
Jiraishin
RAINBOW
Zipang
Thanks, added everything to my list. Is RAINBOW the same as the anime? Is it worth reading if I've watched that?

coathat posted:

Read anything by Taiyou Matsumoto as he is the best. My favorites personal are Ping Pong and Sunny but he's never made a bad manga so just pick whatever you're in the mood for.
I've heard good things about Ping Pong and I'm in the mood for something sports based, so I'll definitely give that a shot.

On that subject - how does the Yawara manga compare to the anime? I haven't read or seen either.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Oh man, so do I. I love media about cooking/cafes/restaurants and it's pretty under represented (or crap) in anime*.

I'm reading Cooking Papa now on my tea break at work and I'm so hungry. Haha, I love how pissed off he is at work in the first issue and then he just transforms when he's home and able to cook for his wee man.

*Bartender was rad, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Scott Bakula posted:

I realise that what I'm recommending is outright fantasy but Shin Angyo Onshi is very good and worth a read. Akira too if you've only seen the film.
Thanks. That looks really interesting. I have zero knowledge of Korean folklore and culture so at least I could claim to be broadening my horizons. I often forget Akira was originally a manga - I expect it's worth reading for the industrial/mechanical design alone.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone.

I managed to read all of the translated Cooking Papa stuff because I foolishly assumed that someone would've translated every volume since it's so old. A mere 2 volumes was never going to satisfy my hunger for Cooking Papa's exploits.

edit: Reading Bambino now. Looks like there's a fuckload of translated chapters, so it should last me a while.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 12, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Suspect Bucket posted:

I really wish there were more translated chapters of Cooking Papa, it's adorable. THAT'S WHEN YOU NEED A MAN FOR THE JOB of cooking a chicken. I know whole turkeys are something of a rarity outside of Western countries, but never thought that a whole chicken would be a delicacy.

(be sure to save the delicious broth)

The thing that got me about that was the instruction to cook the thing at 300°C. Most home ovens don't even go that high.

I've read quite a bit of Bambino in the last couple of days. I'm up where he's become a waiter and I enjoy the faux-realism and focus on restaurant life a lot. It doesn't have the charming episodic simplicity of Cooking Papa, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kaja Rainbow posted:

For some reason the wife is my favorite character in Cooking Papa.
I love her. I can't figure out whether her eyes are constantly spinning or she's wearing weird glasses, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Stayed up late to finish Bambino! (or at least what's been translated of it) last night. Bloody brilliant and I highly recommend it even if you don't have a particular interest in Italian cooking. Although I would've enjoyed some more 'instructional' elements like in Cooking Papa, the focus on interactions within the kitchen was really satisfying overall. Ban does fall under the "gotta be the best!" category of protagonists, yet I didn't find him that irritating - he's hot headed/blooded while still having enough introspection and empathy to make him interesting.

I thought the scene (spoilers for fairly late in the manga) where he makes dinner for Eri and her fiance was pretty sweet. I've got a weakness for characters who use their expertise to express themselves positively.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

trucutru posted:

My only issue with Bambino is that the cooks and other workers are being heavily exploited by the restaurant owner and nobody really acknowledges it. When the rich rear end in a top hat friend points this to Bambi I would have expected him to at least dismiss it but nope, not a peep. Overworking yourself for peanuts is what you're suppose to do, I guess.
That's actually one of the more realistic reflections of the industry in the manga. I don't really know what 150k yen a month is in £££s or $$$s, but unless you're in a management position at a restaurant you're likely to get paid very little in comparison to the amount of work and expertise required. My brother co-owned and was head chef of a small restaurant here and he actually quit to become a head chef on a flotel (offshore oilrig accommodation) because he'd get more money and it's a stable career.

You're only gonna get rich and successful as a chef if you're lucky and psychotically dedicated, so far as I can see. Bambi seems to be both.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 17, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I hadn't realised the second part was out. I'll have to look for it later even if it isn't quite up to the standard of the first.

The New York arc was weaker, though I still found it interesting because I'm fascinated by how foreign cultures are depicted in manga and anime. I feel like Urasawa is probably the best at this in Monster and Master Keaton. I could detect a bit of xenophobia in Bambino! but it wasn't too bad.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

AnonSpore posted:

It's complete in Japan, but it hasn't been scanlated at all to the best of my knowledge.

About the NY arc: On the one hand I found it hilarious how Ban was such a "Japanese person in foreign country" stereotype, especially that initial scene where he worries about the taxi taking too long to get to the hotel. The mafia bits, though, were equal parts endearing homage and eye-rollingly bad stereotype. Wasn't really a fan of Coyote's backstory either. All in all it felt like Sekiya tried to go for a serious and realistic approach but unconsciously slipped in stereotypes to fill in the gaps of what he didn't know.

I also found it funny how only the two competing dons were acting like real people in the whole mafia cooking arc, while everyone else was operating on weird honor rules. The Lorenzo brothers in particular were pretty bad.
Yeah, the tone was off for most of that arc.

Are there any other good, realistic contemporary cooking mangas? I remember being told about one focusing on a guy who is some kind of prodigal bread kneader, but I can't read that because I'm trying to cut down on my wheat intake.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm pretty sure that is Broderick.

I wasn't gonna read the one about bread anyway, since I always end up eating what I've been reading about. Made roast chicken after reading Cooking Papa. Ate lunch at an Italian place after Bambino!.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

AnonSpore posted:

Taniguchi Jirou's The Lonely Gourment is the only good, contemporary, (mostly) realistic food manga I can think of. IF you're okay with manhwa, Huh Young-Man's Shikgaek is also really good.

Chuuka Ichiban! and Shouta no Sushi are also classics, though neither of them are anything even remotely approaching realistic.

Thanks, I'll have a look for these.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
OK, Team Medical Dragon is totally rad. I read the first volume last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have no idea how accurate it is in regard to the Japanese medical system, but it's good fun either way.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, I get the impression that it does include truths about the set-up, but obviously exaggerates things because it's a comic. I love the art and the patient-by-patient plotting makes for super compulsive reading.

I remember Tenma in Monster having almost the exact same problems with hospital administration as what's shown in TMD, despite him being in Germany.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Professor Irony posted:

Anyone else remember Parasyte? Not the most original horror/sf offering, but decently written and boasted some great creature design work. Apparently, it is now getting an anime series.

I kind of wonder why they've decided to dig it up now, all of a sudden, but I won't complain.
Sweeeet. I can't wait to see the wee man animated.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
After reading a bunch of josei recently*, I want something to redress the balance. What are some good cyberpunk/near-future mangas with a dark outlook? I'm planning on trying Akira already, and I didn't particularly like the manga version of GitS. Blame is on my list as well.

*I made the opposite of this post a few weeks ago in the other thread.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That's pretty much what I'm looking for. It seems like there's a new version and an older version, which are you recommending?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Professor Irony posted:

Fwiw, I thought Cyber Blue was terrible. Not that it doesn't have a certain entertainment value, but it's like the manga equivalent of a Cannon film.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Old, definitely. It was drawn by Hara Tetsuo, who is better known for doing FOTNS.

I've read the first few chapters of this now and the art is fantastic. I agree that the writing is terrible though.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll definitely check them out.

Edit:

Ytlaya posted:

You might like Dorohedoro. It's extremely strange and really violent/gory, but also incredibly good. While it's not exactly near-future/cyberpunk, it still has a similar feel to it. I can't really recommend it enough; it's easily one of the top 5 manga I've ever read, and probably my favorite that would be classified as "fantasy/sci-fi."
Just started reading this and it's amazing. The grimy art reminds me fighting fantasy game books.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 2, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Finished Rock'n'Roll Ricky last night. Thought it was OK. The main threads of boxing and fatherhood work well, yet I didn't get much of a feel for most of the other characters aside from Ricky himself. It was nice to actually finish a manga rather than read up until a translated point and then have to wait indefinitely, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I loved your description of Kutsuzure Sensen and Gun and Stamps but the art style is really not my bag.

I'm curious about mangas set outside Japan or featuring non-Japanese characters prominently. Is there a manga with a black protagonist, for instance? I really enjoyed the continental European setting of Monster/the globetrotting in Master Keaton.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Holy poo poo, this is amazing. I'm getting the same warm feelings I did when I read the KKK plotline in Preacher back in the day.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Me and the Devil Blues
This looks great as well.

Cheers.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It'll be an arc about him working at El Bulli or the Fat Duck.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Scott Bakula posted:

Read Akira if you've only seen the film. Everyone read Akira if you've only seen the film.
Yep. I read a big chunk of the coloured and flipped version a while ago and I was blown away by his draughtsmanship. I create engineering diagrams for a living and could never hope to have his skill at depicting architecture, mechanisms, vehicles, everything. The story is pretty good, too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I read the novella and enjoyed it more than I expected. Are there any other translated Japanese novellas that aren't about getting it on with handicapped half-sisters?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

DrSunshine posted:

Spice and Wolf! I've been reading the books on interlibrary loan, and it's neat to experience the characters' thoughts and have things explained that the anime can't really show.

Thanks , I'll check that out. I never got into the anime but the premise seems better suited to a novel format.

Elite posted:

I think the manga is probably the best format for this story. The LN is pretty good, but I think it falls down a bit when it gets more action heavy and that might work better in the manga. Also I think the opening is a lot stronger than the resolution, I wouldn't say it does anything bad.. but it gets less engaging as it loses its sense of mystery.

It might just be my pessimism speaking but I'm apprehensive about the movie, it COULD be good but also it could completely miss the point and fail.

I didn't realize LNs were THAT light though, you can comfortably digest the whole thing in just a couple of hours. Is that normal for LNs or was this one lighter than most?

Started reading the manga, which feels weird since it's the first time I've read a book-to-comic adaptation. I really like the design of the suits and the aliens, but Rita is way, way too cutesy. Gotta appease the demography for this stuff, I guess.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 20, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've been reading Homunculus and think it's pretty cool. I have a question for those who have finished it, though:
I really enjoyed the first storyline with the yakuza boss, but the extended psychosexual schoolgirl rape scene has put me off. What I want to know is if that sets the tone for the rest of the manga or if it goes back to focusing on different people with interesting homunculi?

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 12, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Shame, since I like the art and the concept a lot. I can definitely detect a downward trend, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Breaky posted:

It's a tough one but it's short enough that I'd say just power through. You might enjoy the rest.

Breaky posted:

It's a tough one but it's short enough that I'd say just power through. You might enjoy the rest.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Agreed. There are definitely weird and uneven parts with Homunculus but overall it's a series that is definitely worth the read.

OK. I've kept going and I'm enjoying learning a bit more about the protagonist's past. The art is phenomenal as well. Need to check out what else the author has worked on.

Also, newsflash: the guy translating Cooking Papa has started up again, hope he's able to keep it up.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want to read a manga Dark Souls: the world is a twisted reflection of a once-great civilisation, the protagonist barely survives each chapter, there are hosed up monsters and treacherous people. But there should also be beauty and weirdness. Berserk and Dorohedoro fit parts of the bill, but they're too... noisy.

Using examples from western comics - I really loved The City by James Herbert, illustrated by Ian Miller. It's about a man who returns to a future-baroque city in ruins and finds it infested with monstrous rats. I last read it in the mid 90s, so my memory is fuzzy, but it had a lonely vibe that is exactly what I fancy reading in between sessions of Dark Souls 2. A lot of John Blanche's art for Fighting Fantasy stuff fits too. That might be why I love Dorohedoro so much.

Edit: I want a manga with scenes like this:
http://i.imgur.com/k3gVl.jpg

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 30, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Breaky posted:

Blame! and Biomega (and probably everything else by Nihei Tsutomu) should be up your alley.

http://kissmanga.com/AuthorArtist/Nihei-Tsutomu
Thanks, that looks really cool, although I did try Knights of Sidonia a while back and didn't get into it.

I don't might narrative ambiguity so long as the atmosphere is there.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really liked Bambino until it did the predictable narrative escalation so I don't think I'll bother with the 2nd if moves even further away from its mundane beginnings.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just read Oyaji and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read a manga about the manliest dad around.

It also made me wish Ore Monogatari was still getting translated. I seem to love stories about righteous giants.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

sniper4625 posted:

Seconded. Short too, only 24 chapters.

And I didn't realize OM wasn't being scanlated anymore...though now that I check the last release was in March. Time flies, I guess.

Well, don't know what's going on with OM. I guess there are a few series I follow that go for months without an update and then they start up again. I was under the impression that OM is pretty popular so I'm confused that the translation has slowed down so much.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

KittenofDoom posted:

For gently caress's sake read this series! The characters are well-written and have a great deal of depth and subtlety, and you see people get beaten in awesomely brutal ways.
I was disappointed to see that the mangaka didn't do much else, or at least not much that was translated.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wish Sekitou Elergy was still updating. I was really getting into it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe see about bribing Dr_Amazing or Futurecop to translate it :v:

There's 15 volumes left in it and it's so gooooood in only a quarter of it, I want to see where it goes from there. And I want to see what other hideous faces people will have/make.

I'd seriously consider donating something to scanlators if it meant getting updates, but I dunno if that is something that people do. Seems like a somewhat murky area (like scanlations in general, I suppose).

I've started Cheese in the Trap btw and I'm enjoying it. I should probably check and see if it has stopped updating before I get too far though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Need some horror manga recommendations. I've read a lot of Junji Ito and I'm currently reading Mail. I'd prefer something weird and psychological rather than gross out like Uzumaki etc. Anything with a creepy sense of mystery.

Failing that is there the equivalent of crime procedurals in manga? One where a team of detectives and specialists takes on a case. Doesn't have to be super realistic, just gripping.

I started reading Kingdom after getting caught up with Berserk and it seems excellent, but I'm just not in the mood for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Shugojin posted:

If you haven't read it, Monster sounds right up your alley.
I have read it. Loved the anime as well. Would've been a good rec if I hadn't read it already.

Really enjoying this so far. Thanks. The later posts about its translation worry me, though. I've got way too many series on the go that have sketchy translation futures. Might shelf Soil before I get too into the story.

Tunicate posted:

It's not at all Horror, but I really like the psychological angle in Liar game.
I've been meaning to read Liar Game for a while.

Everything Burrito posted:

Manhole is both (biological) horror and police procedural.

Himitsu - Top Secret is about a police team that investigates crimes using scans of dead people's brains. It has an anime as well but I preferred the manga.

Jiraishin is a cop manga, pretty dark & very 90s, has some great art especially later on. Also has a sequel.

Shibatora is about a baby-faced cop who goes undercover as a high school kid, it has a pretty good balance of lightheartedness and drama from what I remember.

Dendrobates is more about an assassin but the main character's day job is in a police department and most of the supporting good guy characters are police. It's pretty dumb and grossly violent in parts, but isn't terribly long and fun in a B-movie kind of way.

Oh, you might also look into Ghost Hunt which follows a team of paranormal investigators. It has an anime as well, and tbh I watched it first then just picked up the manga where it left off because IIRC it was a pretty faithful adaption. I suggest it both for the horror aspect and because the investigative team work like detectives solving a mystery. Psychic Detective Yakumo is another supernatural/mystery manga and a couple of the supporting characters are cops, and if you like that sort of thing (supernatural detective) also check out Un-Go if you're up for watching something rather than reading.

edit: also I was totally not paying attention to which thread I was in and thought this was the general recommendation one, so part of those are not seinen but Dendrobates, Jiraishin, and Manhole are at least. Whoops!
I'm not too fussed about it being seinen, I just thought to ask in here since it seemed like what I'm looking for is more likely to be seinen. Jiraishin looks extremely cool.

Thanks for all the recommendations.