Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I started reading Ubel Blatt.

Someone get me off of Ubel Blatt because it's awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

UB feels like someone read Berserk while furiously taking notes and then stopped reading when Golden Age started, feeling they'd seen everything they needed.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

this might be the worst manga I've picked up since like

Gate

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe it gets better but it's super average where I am and the average style is dragged down pretty far by super weird composition

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The difference between Ubel Blatt and Genocyber is that Genocyber is actually cool and good

Like, Genocyber is a lot of really loving neat ideas executed in an iffy way (that still doesn't really detract from it most of the time), Ubel Blatt is just lovely Berserk

Ubell Blatt eventually stops being lovely Berserk, but this is only so it can become a different king of lovely thing

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

yeah

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In the realm of gore filled garbage that knows what it is, Baki is way better than Gantz

e: actually I'm not sure that Gantz even DOES know what it is

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

did boku girl ever stop being "God I'm so glad my friend is a girl now so I can totally heterosexually try to rape her"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

He wasn't that old, but it was more than just that.

But it was MOSTLY that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know any of those series but one's by Higashimura so that probably deserves to win.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just binged all of Ontan and Friends.

I hope that it doesn't go full Bad End but it probably will.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't realize Baki was still running

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Grand Blue Crew reporting in, I love everyone in this.

Although I do find some of the slight differences in dive technique a bit funny. Like, I was always taught to use the independent reg/octopus as the primary and switch to the BC one only when it's time to pass the octopus over to your partner (because you'll be able to do so faster if it's in your mouth rather than having to fish for it).

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just want more Grand Blue now that I've read Grand Blue

should I actually try Baka to Test? Which version?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of series ending, the final four chapters of boku girl went up, and the ending was great. I do wish series wouldn't end immediately upon a choice being made, but at this point it's to be expected from 99% of manga and anime. Still, cute ending.

The heartwarming tale of a girl and her rapist

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The plot of BG:
R: I want to gently caress my friend, but that would be GAY
MC: I got turned into a girl!
R: Ah, excellent, I shall now repeatedly assault you.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I tried to read Baka to Test but the scans were awful. Maybe I'll watch the show while I wait for Grand Blue.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Do your best Aina

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

New Dead dededededemons
I'm loving the parallels to modern day radicalisation

Headbob Ontan noooo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mindblast posted:

So that is, what, 44 chapters of set up/prologue? Meh I am not sure that is worth wading through.

I mean hey Vinland Saga had a longer prologue.

So all this thing (which I haven't read) has to do is be no more than SLIGHTLY worse than Vinland Saga.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't like what I'm seeing in Grand Blue

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I meant in the latest chapter, I love GB in general, but this cousin business has to stop.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Also, we're talking about the guy whose reaction to the question "Wanna gently caress your (other)cousin?" is this:

He says this but I keep becoming concerned

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Charles is still just the crown prince, actually.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Grand-Blue/Chapter-036?id=369619

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's an amazing cover

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh no

I'm finally trying Saint Young Men

and I don't think I like Saint Young Men

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it's more that a lot of the jokes are like, super deep cut japanese stand up type stuff

it's like Johnny and Gyro's gag conversations in Steel Ball Run

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

In the distant future, a new life form called Houseki (gems) are born. The 28 Houseki must fight against the moon dwellers who want to attack them and turn them into decorations, thus each gem is assigned a role such as a fighter or a medic. Though she hopes to fight the moon dwellers, Phos is a gem who is given no assignment until the gems' master Adamantine asks her to edit a natural history magazine.

sorry?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Reading Pluto right now, it's really good and then KR show up

"They're kinda like the old KKK-" yeah in that they literally wear the hoods come on urasawa that's in poor loving taste

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just did

that seems like it kinda has to be a fakeout

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The only real memories I have of Astro Boy are a vague recollection of the early 00's series, which I didn't like, and seeing the dubs of it and GIGANTOR on at random, godforsaken hours of the morning so that particular attachment isn't there. That said I simply don't see that being a Thing That Is Stuck To in an official AB adaptation.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There is something like, inherently funny about the "realistic" renderings of Astro Boy characters.

e: like Tenma looks like loving Gendo with a bad haircut

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 1, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They're all really good, it's just funny knowing what some of them actually look like.

Like they've yet to properly show Pluto's Pluto 49 chapters in but

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it's over

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh, another Pluto note:
It is an insane testament to Urasawa that I held out hope for Geist and Epsilon even though there was no loving way they weren't going down

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Gesicht meeting Atom was a really great chapter and I am so happy that this manga go picked up for an anime in an era where animation is amazing. I'm just on the chapter where Epsilon shows up to warn Dr. Hoffman! Really taking my time reading this because I can tell it's going to stay with me a long time.

e: Is Epsilon a boy or girl? I thought Gesicht referred to her as a girl when Haas asked him if Epsilon would be sad her creator died Gesicht responds "I suppose she will". The rest of the time they say him though I think?
I believe in AB Epsilon is a girl however they appear to be male in Pluto.

EmmyOk posted:

Is Monster a better read or a better watch because the anime looks pretty good.

If Tenma did make Pluto and he thinks Astro Boy is a failure he needs his rear end kicked.
Atom failed the purpose of his creation, but that was simply because that purpose was impossible.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jojo is shounen until SBR

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh did it leave WSJ in Stone Ocean?
e: unless you think SO starring a lady means it's not shounen I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

:stare: