Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just caught up with Dorohedoro and man is it awesome, though every time I start reading it again I've forgotten some of what's happened before, and then by the time I get finished with the newly released bundle of chapters I can mostly remember what was going on, but then I'll run out and the cycle will repeat. Some time I'll have to do a reread of the whole series to enjoy it again and remember all the details.

Also being a devil in Dorohedoro seems amazing, but the worst thing is how a person can get their devil powers taken away and go back to just being a magic user. Having magic is already pretty great, but being a devil just takes the person outside of the laws of the world to where everything becomes entertainment. It's especially clear in recent chapters where all the main character's struggles are being viewed by a bunch of devils drinking beer and eating, treating the main events in the manga as a spectacle. The fact that events might be radically changed because one devil dropped his beer by accident is hilarious, in a "we are all at the whims of total coincidence" kinda way. .

Naikado is interesting as a sort half-devil right now who still sorta understands what it's like the be human, but doesn't seem to have much emotions anymore other than mild shock. Her facial expression makes it seem like devils are kinda euphoric all the time.

Meanwhile, being a human in the Dorohedoro world totally sucks. Unless you're a genius doctor dating a devil. That guy has incredible luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Izumi Konata posted:

wow dude. i am on chapter 60/132 rn. experiencing a major breakthrough with the plot development.

how do you people read these things so fast? i think i might be borderline retarded since i can't read as fast as all of you. it would take me 2 weeks to get to where u are at and i am glad u used spoiler tags.

I don't know how long it took me to read Dorohedoro the first time. It's been a few years since I started it. But once I finish all the current chapters I wait until there's another batch, which usually takes half a year.

I agree that the world feels a bit small. Hole just seems to be one city, and En and his gang manage to rule over all of "magic user land". But honestly, the series is so goddamn weird that the small world size doesn't bother me. There's enough to absorb in that small space.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm rereading Dorohedoro and they mention the mansion that they go to in volume 3 has had its space warped by magic, just like Hole. So maybe Hole was part of the rest of the world until it was warped by magic, and now Hole and the cities around it are cut off from the rest of the world.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I reread Dorohedoro recently and actually it makes a fair amount of sense if you read it quickly. Over time the complicated plot threads of who exactly Kaiman is and how magic user world works start to unravel and it all seems like nonsense.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Also I keep getting closer and closer to reading Dorohedoro, it's gonna happen at some point I keep telling myself.

It'll be over in a few more chapters, so if you wait a bit longer you can read the whole thing in one go.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of genre: crazy, this popped up on the recent updates and it sure is...something

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gleipnir

Dude can transform into a killer mascot costume, saves girl, girl knows about it, uses him as some sort of meat-mecha

only a handful of chapters but it sure is weird

Definitely a sorta-fetish comic, but also really entertaining with nice art. I like how the guy is reticent about using his power, but the girl just climbs in there and uses it so he's not Shinji-ing around forever.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pluto is my favorite Urasawa manga. All his other series had great sections but seemed to get bogged down or peter out. Pluto stayed good from what I can remember.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Fire Punch still interests me more than a lot of manga because it doesn't seem like there's any clear direction and watching the author fumble along is entertaining. If he actually makes it stand up as a completed work in the end I'll be very surprised.

Bakuman is fun because you get into all the rivalry between the authors and interesting stuff about how the industry works and concepts are fleshed out, but then you remember that it's a field where people are always working themselves to death or exhaustion with little time for life, when it's so unnecessary. Even the monthly manga artists do it by putting so much more detail into their work. It's a strange place, Japan.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

To You The Immortal is actually a comedy manga because the bad guys are called "Knockers".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A refined gentleman who enjoys French culture.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm catching up with Billy Bat now. What a weird comic. It's definitely engrossing but all the famous people and actual events he stuffs into the series makes it seem as if it's borrowing their weight to make the comic seem really important. Plot-wise it seems to be pinballing characters around like crazy and relying on the voice of god to spur characters into action if things are in danger of slowing down.

He draws a great contempt face though. That Walt Disney-clone guy's expression is the perfect encapsulation of what Miyazaki called Disney's "contempt for his audience".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I still can't believe the guy who created Me and the Devil Blues has been making that comic for the past few years.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I started reading Hibiki and it's good, but I can't get past the idea of a freshman in high school being such a brilliant fiction writer. Especially such an obtuse character so lacking in self knowledge. It seems like those traits would interfere with someone being able to write anything resembling "great" literature.

Though the way the editor characters talk about what makes great literature also makes me think I don't understand the finer points of literary classification or how to evaluate quality.

But I'm now at the part where she tries to recruit the big delinquent to rejoin the club so I think I'll stick with this series.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 13, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm on chapter 10 and still laugh out loud when Hibiki has some random violent outburst to a thing she doesn't like. Such a weirdo.

Watching people realize how meager their own writing talent is in comparison to the weirdo protagonist is also fun. Catching sight of the sheer amount of fundamentals that this person seems to just implicitly understand and realizing how little they actually know.

Though now it looks like she's the daughter of a famous novelist which is an annoying way to structure a story. Like talent is somehow dynastic. I hope that's a red herring and his daughter is actually one of the less talented members of the club.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 13, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

An interesting thing about characters in "Hibiki" is you can't tell what kind of person someone is by their appearance, the way you usually can in manga. That makes their actions unpredictable and makes the dramatic moments hit a lot harder.

It's also an interesting look into Japanese gender politics that a female novelist has to basically choose between marriage or art. If a guy marries a woman without expecting her to have his kids and spend all her time raising them and instead supports her writing dreams, that's a "twisted relationship." Meanwhile famous author man has a life and a family.
Though that could be a contrived bit of social theory to create conflict between the guy who wants Hibiki to become a "normal" woman and her own literary dreams. I can never figure out if their relationship is supposed to come off as sweet, or if he's being set up as some kind of antagonist.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 14, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Maybe. Or it could just be that they're dumb and confused kids and will be able to have a more normal relationship, albiet a childless one, later in life. One that would allow her marriage and writing. That would be the good end.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But does talent necessarily lead to darkness? Or can someone be talented and productive with their talent and still live a happy life? Certainly the male authors who are talented seem to be able to live happy lives. It could also be a happy story that goes beyond high school hijinks, depending on the author's view of how talent affects interpersonal relationships, and whether talent is a curse for women in Japanese society.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But... many of the male authors seem to be fine to be around. Charming, successful, good family life.

Like, do you think successful or genius-level artists in the real world are mostly maladjusted? Most seem to get along pretty well though some definitely decide not to have kids so they have more time to spend on their work.

We hear about the crazy shut ins or the dramatic ones whose lives fall apart because their lives are dramatic and unusual, but I don't think it's born out in aggregate.

As for Hibiki's personality, well I'm hoping she'll grow out of it. A lot of people are weird as gently caress as teenagers.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think there's 5 or 6 volumes out in Japan but not one is interested in translating it. Only 7 or 8 chapters out so far, covering the first couple volumes.

Which is too bad because that art style and subject matter is like my favorite.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't get the tumblr callouts of Ichikawa's work. It's pretty obvious that she's writing unsettling and disturbing situations, not wank material.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

The focus on violence is infused in the story, like it's a truly central part of the story which comes up time and again, it's perplexing.
Why this is, why she doesn't simply do martial arts and whatever is not explained, so the way it takes focus from literally everything else is very strange.
Explain how this gels with the mc being a one in a thousand years prodigy in literature?

She wants to impose her view of the world on things. In writing she has complete control over how she can depict the world and her work is great because of how convincing it is. In reality though she can't, but still tries to impose her views on those around her with stubborness or violence.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

No.

That would make a fun premise though I couldn't see any publisher putting out a manga about that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If your erection of the heart lasts longer than four hours consult a physician.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

It seems that the moment a series introduces rape into its story, that series turns to poo poo. Or am I overgeneralizing?

Berserk uses it but sparingly. After all if it was common then THAT moment wouldn't resonate as strongly.

And I guess people still like Devilman despite the stuff that happens in that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Fire Punch ended, about as strangely as I expected it to given the way it went.

I dunno if I would call it a happy or sad ending, the last few chapters were a crazy whirlwind.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Top-tier lampshading.

I wanna read that dragon/magicians manga.

I'm still waiting for more Witch Hat Atelier translations. The French get an official translation/release, I'm jealous. Gotta learn that darn language.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm looking forward to the Golden Kamui anime. I find the art a little hard to follow but the story seems really good, so the anime will be a nice way to get that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I haven't seen that new film Annahilation, but that island reminds me of what Area X appears to be.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Looking at those images I just kept hearing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR8qtxts1jY

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Diving, unlike curling, is not a sport you should do drunk.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Violence Action manga reminds me in some ways of Franken Fran.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hibiki is great.

Latest chapter with creepy guy showing the depth and banality of his creepiness is just... what a character.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Darn, I was enjoying Beastars and had read up to where that Panda doctor initially appeared. The stuff that comes after sounds unfortunate.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Allarion posted:

I don't know if anyone's been reading Hibiki but it's pretty good

https://mangadex.org/manga/21108/hibiki-shousetsuka-ni-naru-houhou

This is one of my favorite series right now.

I love how the "villain" of the story is Japanese society's penalizing of creative women. But that's too amorphous a concept so the author created Hibiki's friend who is trying to shape Hibiki into becoming the perfect little wife for him and making their lives as banal as possible. Of course she's the kind of person who hits people with chairs so she probably won't be having any of that, but it'll be fun to see that conflict come to a head when he starts realizing Hibiki won't just follow his plan.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Fellis posted:

Jeez i didn’t realize Hibiki had like 12 chapters scanlated in the last two weeks, awesome!

Her showdown with the tabloid reporter was tense, and even creepier was her boyfriend showing up

It was creepy and also farcical. I think I've laughed out loud more at Hibiki than any other manga.

When I read that part I actually said "THIS motherfucker". When he calls her "fraulein"

Also "Hibiki" does the 'realization of what real talent is' so well. Whether its amateurs or pros, their reactions when they're forced to reckon with real talent is so relatable. The feeling of crushing unworthiness, seeing just how far the gap is.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 6, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's entertaining but I can't even deal with how grotesque some of the character designs are. Makes my hair itch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yes, but even more hairy and oily and gross.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wish I liked Dungeon Meshi more since the art really is incredible.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Studio 4c, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Good stuff.

Also Dorohedoro is the only manga I have to binge every time I want to catch up with a bunch of new chapters cause the plot is so weird and full of characters. Keeping track of who and where Kaiman is and which characters are alive and dead and alive and the timelines and flashbacks, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chidaruma is the only character in Dorohedoro you're pretty sure isn't about to die at any second.