Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

I started reading this a while ago and have really enjoyed it so far. I kinda wish I'd waited until there was more before I started though, I hate waiting for the next update. I looked at some of the guy's other stuff in the mean time but none of it looked very appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know I read Parasyte, but it was so long ago I don't remember a single thing about it. Kinda wondering if I should do a re-read sometime or just watch the anime with a little vague familiarity but less baggage from being refreshed on the source material.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kleptobot posted:

The scanlator for Gangsta is dropping the series because it has been licensed for stateside distribution in English. I am pleased by this news, as I'll be able to purchase the manga in dead tree format now.

Yeah, I was pretty excited when I read that earlier. Definitely grabbing this when it comes out. The first three volumes are already up for preorder on amazon with release dates.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 25, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Until Death Do Us Part and keep up with it religiously, but the plot starts to really meander after a couple of guys get introduced as crossovers from other manga. I like them and ended up reading what I could find translated of their manga though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was reading that but becoming less and less interested, so it kinda sounds like I might as well drop it if that's the direction it's going. Reading about assholes being assholes isn't high on my list of things I find enjoyable.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I appreciate the spoiler breakdowns for Ajin. I'd only read up to ch. 9 but wasn't really liking where it was going even at that point so I'm gonna drop it because I read a ton of stuff as it is, no sense in dragging along something I can see is not my thing even though it seemed kind of interesting at first.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh nice! I've read a good bit of Master Keaton but not anywhere near all of it so I'll probably pick those up at some point.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Manhole is both (biological) horror and police procedural.

Himitsu - Top Secret is about a police team that investigates crimes using scans of dead people's brains. It has an anime as well but I preferred the manga.

Jiraishin is a cop manga, pretty dark & very 90s, has some great art especially later on. Also has a sequel.

Shibatora is about a baby-faced cop who goes undercover as a high school kid, it has a pretty good balance of lightheartedness and drama from what I remember.

Dendrobates is more about an assassin but the main character's day job is in a police department and most of the supporting good guy characters are police. It's pretty dumb and grossly violent in parts, but isn't terribly long and fun in a B-movie kind of way.

Oh, you might also look into Ghost Hunt which follows a team of paranormal investigators. It has an anime as well, and tbh I watched it first then just picked up the manga where it left off because IIRC it was a pretty faithful adaption. I suggest it both for the horror aspect and because the investigative team work like detectives solving a mystery. Psychic Detective Yakumo is another supernatural/mystery manga and a couple of the supporting characters are cops, and if you like that sort of thing (supernatural detective) also check out Un-Go if you're up for watching something rather than reading.

edit: also I was totally not paying attention to which thread I was in and thought this was the general recommendation one, so part of those are not seinen but Dendrobates, Jiraishin, and Manhole are at least. Whoops!

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 21, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NAME REDACTED posted:

On a similar note, does anyone have any recommendation for manga similar to Gambling Emperor Legend Zero and Liar game? I'm looking for stuff to read where the story arcs are "protagonist given a challenge or game; after game is over, protagonist explains reasoning". I've also read Gordian Knot and Gamble Fish, for other examples. If anyone knows any series based around heists or cons, I'd also be interested.

Usogui:

quote:

There are gamblers out there who even bet their lives as ante. But to secure the integrity of these life-threatening gambles, a violent and powerful organization by the name of “Kakerou” referees these games as a neutral party. Follow Baku Madarame a.k.a. Usogui (The Lie Eater) as he gambles against maniacal opponents at games – such as Escape the Abandoned Building, Old Maid, and Hangman – to ultimately “out-gamble” and control the neutral organization of Kakerou itself.

Kurosagi:

quote:

White swindlers (shirosagi) are those that cheat people to take their money, red swindlers (akasagi) are those that swindle the opposite sex, and black swindlers (kurosagi) are those that cheat the white and red swindlers. After his family is swindled by white swindlers, Kurosagi sets out to avenge them by becoming a black swindler.

I've only read part of Usogui and it was alright, but I'm not super big into gambling manga so I can't really compare it quality-wise to anything else. I like Kurosagi quite a bit though. Each con gets 2-3 chapters or so, kind of a con-of-the-week format and there's a bit of an overarching plot that weaves through the whole thing. There's a considerable amount of detail explaining each con or scam, both on the villain side and what the protagonist is doing.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 29, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I've been following BotI on and off for about as long. It was one of the first manga I ever bought in physical form. I got a little bogged down with the prison arc so I'm pretty behind currently, but saw the other day the last book would be out soon so I'm going to get it along with the last few I still don't have and do a big re-read of the whole thing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope it does come over, not that I'm really dying to re-buy it but larger format sounds pretty nice. I didn't realize it had become so hard to get hold of but now I'm looking at prices on Amazon :catstare:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ufarn posted:

Tried checking out Solo Levelling, but the English website for it is a total mess, is there really no good official way to read it in English?

it's on tappytoon

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
They seem fine? You might find a typo once in a while but I read several things there and haven't noticed anything weird.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Fable is so much fun -- tbh I've enjoyed the slice of life farting around parts just as much or more as the action bits. The "sister" messing with guys in the bar was so funny -- the faces she was making at the bartender had me rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Wondance is now releasing monthly and it's back to the tense world of competition.
N 2 Gether Now - Limp Bizkit feat. Method Man | Dancer: Larry Nicolas Bourgeois
Dababy - Suge (yea yea) | Chorography by Jake Kodish

thanks for posting these; I've looked a few times for dance videos to help visualize what they're doing in the manga but it's all kind of a big unknown to me and I don't really know what to search for to find good ones so this is helpful.