Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

started rereading the gods vs human manga i can't exactly remember the name of and ignoring simo hayha for obvious reasons which human is everyone looking forward to seeing fight the most from those that are left?

Rasputin for sure. I can already imagine him surviving some serious bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fungus and Iron chapter 1

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bula Vinaka posted:

Has anyone actually tried animating a manga, in manga style?

FLCL had 2 scenes like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4NCor7-7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW1roeTdBT8

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nipponophile posted:

Not unless you give me some idea what it's about.

quote:

It started with a brutal beating at a pachinko parlor, and now Bakune Young -- maniac, moron or mastermind -- has taken Japan's biggest crime boss as a hostage as Step One of his plan to rule the world! Soon, yakuza, police, hapless detectives and Bakune's former gym teacher collide as Bakune holes up with his hostage in Osaka Castle, and the manly men of the Japanese mob vow to do anything to rescue their boss!

Can Russian-roulette-playing police chief Sorigami salvage the situation with his highly trained army of human robots? Will Johnson Membodeath, the ninja, stop the madness by killing everyone in sight? Savage satire of the action-violence manga genre!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Dear ADTRW,

I recently started reading manga again and have been out of the loop for about a decade. I've read some of the bigger names like Boys On The Run, Punpun and I Am A Hero, but for the most part I have been very much out of the loop. What are the bestest things to have come out in this timeframe. I'm very much into anything, so not at all bothered about genres.

Thanks in advance!

Golden Kamuy, which just recently wrapped up.

Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1534023574574747648?t=L44M1r74n8EILuXBo_zOUA&s=19

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1534023887411118085?t=L44M1r74n8EILuXBo_zOUA&s=19

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1534023434174627840?s=21&t=aD11A3Hm38iuIJTF46_w-A

Berserk is back

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MizuZero posted:

speaking of urasawa, I thought asadora! started off strong but it’s been meandering on her high school years. It looks like we’re due for a timeskip (reading the viz english volumes) soon though.

I also read master keaton recently and thought that started off strong as well, though by volume 3 it was apparent how formulaic it would be for its duration. Some chapters are really good post-unification spy fiction with conspiracies and scandals contemporaneous to its date of original publication.

I think as far as urasawa goes, nothing touches the heights monster/pluto/20th century boys did.

People forget, but large portions of the middle of 20th century boys were very meandering. Still a good manga, but I think that's just a part of most of urusawa's manga, especially the longer it goes on.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

nrook posted:

tbh I’m more bored by Apollo. There are a lot of gods in the world, why are the Greeks monopolizing the spotlight? At least this Leonidas has a cool aesthetic; it’s not like he’s out there dressed as a hoplite.

I agree that the other gods should get more spotlight, but the Greek gods being related does give them more interpersonal character relationships that allow for more drama in the conflicts. It just kind of sucks that due to the nature of the tournament, so far 5 out of 9 rounds will have been from the Greek Pantheon. :nallears:

Julias fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 28, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

I'm not an expert but I think his big 3 series are Devilman, Mazinger Z, and Cutie Honey, so start with those and see what you want more of. I think they all have multiple sequals, prequals, and spinoffs.

Cutie honey is culturally important,but I wouldn't really say that it's good. Probably better to stick with Devilman and Mazinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chas McGill posted:

Any new (last 5 years) horror or thriller manga with a more 'serious' feel to recommend? By serious I guess I mean something with less of a splatter/b-movie vibe - Manhole, Monster, and Homunculus are good examples of what I'm looking for.

It started 7 years ago but Chi no Wadachi (Blood on the Tracks) finished a few months ago if you haven't read that.