Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

No Wave posted:

I am a hero finally picks up at around chapter 70 or so. I was extremely disappointed in it until then, as I'm a huge fan of the author's other work (Boys on the Run and Ressentiment).

I am a hero's earlier chapters were amazing. Not just for it's satirical take on the conformist society of Japan and on the zombie genre as a whole, but I don't think I've seen a Zombie apocalypse that happens in real time like this. Sure it takes forever to get going, but it's hysterical to see our goony, schizophrenic mess of a protagonist fail to warn and protect other people when he already knows that zombies are a thing. It's the dumbest thing before it starts to get meta as hell. If you aren't already reading this, I suggest starting at around chapter 6, then going back to read it all because there is a whole lot of padding before stuff starts happening. It's not bad filler or anything, it's just that it takes a surprisingly long time for the first zombie to appear.

cooldude2.0 posted:

Does I am a Hero get less frustrating? After page 50 of "hey why are you biting me?! stop!" I just want everyone to die. I wish it was set in a universe where zombie stories and common sense existed.

I am a Hero isn't a serious take on the zombie genre at all, and you shouldn't treat it as such. Not until it starts getting meta at least.

Also Suicide Island is incredible. I've finally caught up to the latest chapter and it's been one heck of a ride.

cooldude2.0 posted:

The MC is clearly in shock, I'll grant that. I guess no one in Japan watches any form of news, or if they do it's only to ogle the news lady. And apparently they send out the SDF before sending the populace a text to look out for, hell, "suspicious individuals" would be enough.

Wait, you mean this totally accurate depiction of Japan which has the hosts of a news show yelling out "BOOOOOOOB MORNING" isn't aiming to be believable? Noooooo, you don't say. It's such a ham-fisted and obvious way of criticising Japan's corrupt and hedonist society that there's no way to take it seriously. Also if you've read I am a Hero at all, you'd know that the protagonist isn't just suffering from shock, but rather some sort of mental illness. Which none of the other characters seem to acknowledge. It's pretty great.

codeorange fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Well seeing that Shaft did a second season of Maria Holic, it's pretty likely that they'll do another season of Soredemo too. But then again, it has been three years and we can't have nice things.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

Hah, Soredemo was the only reason I ever bought into Jmanga. The only reason I was sad it went under, too. Speaking of which, those new chapters on Batoto are all from Jmanga's run, except some scanlating group's slapped their stuff all over it, complete with a 'staff needed' ad.

Wait, so that scanslating group kisu isn't the people who made the translations? It's kind of lovely that they'd take the credit for work that isn't their own.

What's even stranger is that the new chapters on Batoto are all gone. You can find them all on kissmanga, as well as the other manga hosting websites.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Yuureitou seemed like it might be that due to the pages linked but apparently it goes downhill so.. :v:

Yuureitou gets really dumb and strange at parts and I love it for that. It's less of a mystery suspense thriller and even less of a serious psychological mindgame manga than it is a camp and fun adventure that goes in all sorts of crazy directions.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

This is some dumb bullshit. Oh no, not cop guy! The only good character.