Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Someone picked up the sequel to one of my favorite Mahjong Manga series: The legend of Koizumi with a follow up Princess of Zipang. This time our protagonist is a schoolgirl descendant from emperor Hirohito. For a series that had the Prime Minister fighting Nazi's and the Pope, we are off to a good start with the first challenger, Donald J. Trump.

Foxhound posted:

So I finished Biomeat, since it looked like the one that would be easiest to digest of the horror mangas recommended earlier.

I liked the overarching storyline and the time jumps made it a pretty interesting read. The B-M's themselves were kind of whatever, but they worked as an antagonist (how people still didn't know how they worked 4 years after they destroyed the country was strange, though). The art itself was good, even if the art style was very early aughts. The characters really sucked however. I get that it's a shounen but everyone had exactly one dimension and it was the stereotypical shounen cast of characters with no deviation whatsoever. And while the story was good, the storytelling and pacing was kinda weird, and there was way too many "time to tell people about my conviction" moments.

Anyway it was a decent read. It has definitely aged though.
I actually enjoyed the cast of the series despite them being paper thin. It's rare that everyone gets to live by the end of a horror series and they had a great group dynamic even if it was cliche as all hell. That being said the cast is filled with a lot of really dumb people who fail to understand how the B-M's work which really doesn't make sense.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is the kind of series you have to read with your tongue firmly in your cheek as it's essentially the Dragon Ball of tile based games. And you don't necessarily have to know how to play mahjong to enjoy it, but knowing the Yakuman (hands) lets you get a better idea of how good a hand really is. But regardless of how you feel about various politicians nobody is off limits for showing up or sticking around. But if there is one mistake the President made this time, it was challenging the main character who hasn't yet awakened to their true potential. That's never a good idea.

Serge Painsbourg posted:

No such luck. The author is a hardcore Japanese nationalist. Trump's portrayed as a buffoon, but a talented mahjong player, which is the most important thing for a world leader to be in this manga.

So far, he's won against Enrique Pena Nieto by using the Great loving Wall (Suu Ankou, usually a game-winning hand).
Posted the wrong picture

But in general between glorifying Japanese politicians, and assembling a super team of international leaders this series is just plain fun.

edit: And I just noticed that's an Attack on Titan reference as well.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 13, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

Genshiken.

(Do not read the sequel, Genshiken Nidaime.)

Avoid Spotted Flower as well

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Round Two of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie is about to start and it's one hell of a matchup. The original sinner, the manliest of men, the nudist survivalist...Adam vs the god of destruction, the multi armed fiend Shiva The patricidal kind of the gods, the Grandfather of the Cosmos himself...ZEUS!!!

And that little man looks calm and confident. I'd love to post the entire chapter because this series completely nails the pre-match hype for both of these fighters over the last two chapters. But I will leave with Zeus doing his best Hulk Hogan impersonation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

27: Madarame and Sasahara meet for drinks, Madarame tells Sasahara what he did and Sasahara tells him he's an idiot. Madarame tries to justify himself by saying "Well the situation isn't really different from yours, it's a triangle either way" only for Sasahara to reply "no, in my case everyone's on the level. You cheated." (This makes it explicit that Sasahara, Ogiue, and Sue are all in a relationship together. Yay, poly relationsips.) Madarame keeps trying to justify himself, and Sasahara keeps telling him "no, you cheated, stop trying to find excuses, now let's think how we can solve this without exploding your marriage."
A spineless wimp till the end eh?

quote:

This is all for now, sorry. I'll be sure to update with more horrible details when new chapters come out.
I didn't want to know, it's not like this series hit any particular nerve but it was just a dumb development. I wasn't aware of Genshiken when I started reading this so I just walked into it thinking it would be another series similar to "I can't understand what my husband is saying" then got taken for a wild ride with a married man losing his anal virginity. It's like, why make this series at all? Then I find out it's not uncommon for this writer to make spinoffs that assassinate his characters and push away his fans.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

This sounds pretty badass to be honest
H-how?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

If "married man loses his anal virginity" isn't an inherently interesting sentence to you we shall never see eye to eye

'interesting' and 'badass' can be two different things.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Imagine my surprise when I'm looking through chapter releases and find that after 4 years someone has not only picked up Kouya ni Kemomo Doukokusu But they have released an entire volume in the last three weeks. That literally doubles the number of chapters the series had translated. I've only ever seen some old raws of the series so getting higher resolution scans and an actual translation are great.

The premise is a man by the name of Shuhei Mikado wakes up in a research lab with no memories, and the immediate issue of someone trying to break him out, and a large dog-like monster coming to eat his brains. The reason is because he's the 12th and last in an experimental line of super soldiers injected with a virus that alters the brain and after 1 month mutates the body. Mikado having the perfected D-2 strain while the other eleven have the D-1 and bears the codename Kumbhira, one of Buddha's 12 generals. The story is drenched in Buddhist and South American mythology and is a blend of Science Fiction and Shamanism. And it's got a dream team of Itou Sei doing the art, and and this is him at his best. With veteran sci-fi writer Yumemakura Baku at the helm writing this story.

Some pictures from Volume 2 which introduces another test subject codename: Kimnara. The rooster general.

This is going to be a good one. :woop:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Shuumatsu no Valkyrie continues to be great
Adam just worked over Zeus thanks to magic eyes and hasn't lost his perpetual chill. Can this lone nudist give Humanity it's first 'W'?

Ytlaya posted:

This series owns, thanks for linking it. The art is extremely good, and I'm really curious to see the character designs of the other animal soldier people.

Itou Sei's an artist I discovered a couple years back and his art is really amazing. I think the Doukosu soldier designs to come are overall pretty good. There's one standout character for they but he won't show up for a while.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Doukokusu

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nerdz posted:

I kept skipping over nachun/nagun because of the cover art but drat the sci-fi premise of it is super cool and refreshing to me. It's super weird at times, though. Has anyone else read it?

First chapter was interesting. Building an AI based on dolphin behavior is a good plot hook, MC is a scummy though. Will definitely keep going with it.

There's also another chapter of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie for anyone actually reading it. Adam turned out to be the best father any of us could have asked for.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Forgot to mention but there was a new chapter of Kouya ni Kemono. Andira continues to entertain although He's supposed to be the Rabbit General, but he has the ability to control Rodents and Bats, neither of which are in the same family as Rabbits. Oh well, I'm not going to get super scientific in my sci-fi story about genetic super soldiers.

Sharkopath posted:

Don't make me bring out the ultraviolent shoujo horror again, I'm warning you!!
I'll call your bluff. Do it!

Hypocrisy posted:

It breaks my heart that only shoujo and Junji Ito seem to make horror anthology manga now.
Shibito no Koe wo Kiku ga Yoi is really good though, Also Yokai Hunter if you want a more X-Files meets Folklore approach to horror.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie chapter 12.

Since it's a manga we all knew Lu Bu was going to lose but I'm real sad about watching our dad get smacked.

That was really satisfying to read. Adam dying here doesn't hurt as much seeing as it's going to be a banner that everyone can unite under. And he went out like a champ, pummeling Zeus while Blind and not even death stopped his fists. Even the God's can't say anything bad about this fight. Best father, a simple man, just wanted to help his kids. Never once did Zeus put him on his knees :zoro:

UnderFreddy posted:

Kinda fearing it's gonna turn out to be just the Japanese humans winning their fights. Which would be pretty sad and boring

There are only 4 japanese people in the brackets, so even if all 4 of them win there would be 3 other people humanity needs to avoid extinction. Not that I actually expect all 4 japanese representatives to win

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

The first chapter of Looking Up To Magical Girls, the new manga by the author of Kumika no Mikaku, is out now.

It may not be what you expect.
I dont know what i was expecting. But ill see were this crazy train is headed towards for a couple more stops.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The hailey's comet Cultists was the best fakeout in the series for me. There was also an update for anyone who missed it featuring more of the lovely serial killer ghost. With an ending straight out of 'The Silence of the Lambs'

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I like how the only way this even works is to assume that not a single other swordsman in all of history decided to continue training after their death. Sasaki is the only guy who felt the need to get better and achieve enlightenment because he's a loser I guess?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

So has drifters always had close to 80 chapters and i never realised because of where I read it?

Yes, I believe the Japanese have 76 chapters now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speak of the devil, the group that's been working on translations just put out the last 3 chapters meaning we're officially caught up.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no one really talks about drifters any more because the releases are deathly slow, and also the story has been stuck on this single siege battle for years of real time. so uh, the exact same problems hellsing had back in the day.
Hirano is consistent in his inconsistency.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There are two new chapters of Kouya ni kemono and we're unveiling more of the conspiracy surrounding the Dokkaku soldiers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The grandfather I understood. Your grandson starts watching erotica content in his room alone and you find girly garments and you assume he's into some kinky stuff. But this shopkeeper just assumes the outfit is for the kid and not someone else was funny, but weird.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Kouya ni Kemono And we meet a new character who makes a pretty gory first impression. Plus wonderful food of the Japanese countryside.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

Also the whole sister but not really sister / sex thing

I'm a bit confused about how this was a problem when the first chapter was the main character's biological sister propositioning him for sex and outright stated cannibalism. Fire Punch was definitely a messed up ride through and thru, I'd heard it mentioned that the writer set out to make each volume different in tone and structure from the previous and it shows in how scattered the writing is and how abruptly some transitions happen. But man was it not a crazy ride that kept me coming back to see what would happen next. I also miss the underwear wearing helmet fighter who winds up being a core member of Agni's posse for a while. He was a cool streaker.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

I don't really see what's confusing about that.

People are mentioning stuff that happened in later volumes when the crazy train started with chapter 1. I'm not sure what the discussion of Firepunch was like here as I don't remember participating on this forum but I'm trying to figure out when and where posters started to draw the line with regards to the objectionable subject matter the story has. Because unlike Chainsaw Man, Fire Punch was a lot more edgy in it's opening volume what with the Dog whisperer and all. By comparison Denji's adventures to get laid are tame and the story feels more like it could fit into the Dorohedoro universe than anything else.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Being able to suss out your opponents fighting capability through mental reconstructions of their supposed combat style because of how they walk is bullshit...the best kind of bullshit. Looks like best old swordsman made Poseidon lose his godly demeanor as expected.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Good news. Ballroom e yokokosu comes back tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/T2taketom/status/1146741047394889730
Authors health has improved and we'll be back on the dance floor.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elfface posted:

Selfish Girl is very normal. We think we'd be better. Noble in the face of danger, sacrifice ourselves to save others. But she reminds us that the real monster is always Man, and is always Us.

The only lesson I get from her is that people should vet their social circles more tightly.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
No Gun Life is slated to air in October and the PV is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbOqAQAb11E
Honestly looks good from here, CG isn't egregious and the voices sound good. Hopefully this turns out great because Sci-fi anime in the current year could use a win.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Feels like a dog's age but there's a new chapter of Shiori Experience

Shiori continues to be an incredibly relatable character. I'm really hoping that the homicidal music producer doesn't gently caress things up for her.

Bonus Anime Curt Kobain being moe for Jimmi-san

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

HISTORY'S GREATEST WINNER

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 4, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Next fight is confirmed Hercules vs Jack the Ripper. I'm praying Jack isn't like any of his incarnations in Fate/Stay, but this author is actually keeping close to the mythological/historical figures designs so I'm not too worried.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm telling you, it's going down to the wire so we can see all the fights.
This is what I'm expecting too, it wouldn't really make for a good series if the Gods just won everything and decided it was fun and spared humanity.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

did you or did you not see Thor

Thor still looks like a Norse man and it didn't escape my attention that poseidon was lacking a beard. He still was a grown man with a trident and not a little girl with a grilling fork which is the quality I expect from Fate.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Brunhildr's name also translates to armor if I'm not mistaken, so someone could get battle armor to help, my money is on tesla. There's also another valkyrie who is about predictions so rasputin seems a shoe-in foe her

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

A friend told me to read a chapter of a series and I thought it was weirdly amusing. https://mangadex.org/chapter/679540
Could definitely make a meme out of it.

I get the point of the strip, but as far as monkey's paw stories go this one was pretty weak. Wouldn't he remember buying the pills, and notice that the number of pills in the container have decreased? Was that movie really that good you would ignore you've gained dozens of pounds?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

did MPD Psycho ever get finished/is it worth reading? i have vague memories from reading it a decade ago but not much else. Just started kurosagi corpse delivery service and know they have the same writer

All I remember of MPD Psycho is the television series. I gave the manga a read a couple years ago but it's still unfinished at 12 volumes translated and 24 in total.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Got a full volume of Voices of the dead
The ability to jump between unnerving setups and comedy payoffs will forever be the biggest strength of this series. Lil Slugger showing up to defuse the the hostage situation while the MC is tripping on drugs was amazing payoff for the setup.

Looking up to Magical Girls continues to be uncomfortable but I can't look away. Main character has been put on a bad path and I'm curious to see how this gets resolved.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Somebody give Ramlethal her cloak and bunny hat back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serge Painsbourg posted:

A Shuumatsu no Valkyrie omake:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/734977

It should be Junichiro Koizumi

I knew all those series except the one the traitor scum belonged too. Couldn't help but also notice he had Sasaki's face towards the end.

I really think that Hercules is going to lose this, they keep hammering home that he's this immovable wall of Justice and willpower and it feels like the most logical outcome is for Jack to crack that mindset thoroughly. But at the same time I feel like if Jack does do that he'll meet a swift end himself to an enraged Hercules.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Yak of Wrath posted:

Adou is a cyberpunk with a promising initial two chapters, excellent worldbuilding environmental world building too

Two things I noticed: I would assume this artist was influenced by western art styules because right away his panels and composition felt more like a comic book despite the characters looking like they came from Akira. And when things kicked off they kicked off with a bang.

This was an aggressively good first chapter.

Hypocrisy posted:

Hella mean of you to make me like a manga whose last chapter was translated 6 months ago.

Also, more Shuumatsu no Valkyrie. The conclusion of the flashback.

It seems clear that Hercules' death will be the end of any possibility of peace between gods and humans. Given that, it feels safe to say that Brynhild, while helping humanity is not an actual ally to humanity.
going by the unanimous vote to destroy humanity in the one that started this tournament, to the 74% that happened in the 2000 B.C. vote i'd argue that the Gods already have overwhelmingly been against humanity from the start. Even with Adam winning they still are here to watch the end of all humans.

What's predictable is that Hercules' sense of justice did cause him to vote against humanity, but he'd previously negotiated that humans would not be harmed by the gods and that lasted for 4000 years but these votes happen at regular intervals. When did this become ok to him?

The bit about descending to Godhood is also an ominous line.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serge Painsbourg posted:

New Shuumatsu, heroes and evildoers.

That's a pretty creative use for the mythology there.

Oh, hey Bill. Didn't notice you there.

There are so many good moments with Jack this chapter. Keeping with the idea that every match has a major theme connecting the two fighters, Jack being the inverse of Hercules is the right direction. Not being phased by a dislocated shoulder and being slammed into a wall at high force because it's what his art demands is unsettling and weirdly inspiring. Him being positively erect at being able to set up Herc for whatever disaster Jack has in mind has me eager to see what his deal is. Magic eye, must mean that Jack has killed because he delights on the twisting of the soul during the last moments of his victims. And the brighter the soul, the darker the distortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
mangadex may be down, but that doesn't mean we don't get more Hercules vs Jack

London Bridges broken down and Jack's past is tragic in a twisted manner. But how in the heck did he pull off that feat of severing Herc's arms? micro fillaments of some kind on the clock?