Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1648306657779417089?t=kDAU8_cCGJcN_3iYfX-nfg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i check in on it every so often. it's moved past the modern day arc and is now in a dystopian future based on social credit.

Huh. This reminds that the author wrote the manga version of Murdock Scrambler which was REALLY messed future dystopian stuff. I wonder if it's going for a prequel or reference to that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dipwood posted:

I get the impression from manga that mental health is basically a joke in Japan.

I mean, the manga for A Silent Voice almost didn't get published for similar reasons about the treatment of handicapped people.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jerkface posted:

Tower Dungeon is Demon/Dark Souls the manga and I'm absolutely here for it. Loved the bit in Chapter 3 where the sorceress just starts kicking pots to find loot - I've never really fully read any of his works before (perused Blame a long time ago but now I feel like I should revisit it) - but I love the use of negative space in his art style and its really evocative in this one so far.

This, Undead Adventurer, and Faraway Paladin are the trifecta of "Dark Souls, but manga".

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rody One Half posted:

I read a lot of it in one of those "imma pick this thing up and just read all of it that's there regardless of whatever" binges, though it still wasn't anywhere near done at the time.

It's one of, if not quite the, worst manga I've ever read.

Watch it get an insanely lavish and gorgeous adaption as well as dozens of think pieces about how deep and complex the (insert buzzword of choice) is and how it's one of the best pieces of literature ever and getting high reviews from the usuals.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well in the first chapter of the manga a bad guy is raping a woman and then his horse gets in on it as well, and there is tons of exploding bodies and our 'hero' starts raping a woman as well before someone tries to stop him.

Also lots of the characters look like they are 10 years old.

I stopped at that point.

"You don't understand. It NEEDS those things to show how dark and mature the work is, not to mention the realism of how things were back then"

- Someone on Redditor or Anituber

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3hyRR3_q1E

This looked...promising? Please don't gently caress this up Engi that's all I'm asking, my enthusiasm is...or was buried in the loving and is only just now crawling out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ccs posted:

I've been reading "The Witch and the Beast" because its about freelance magic cops and drawn in a style reminiscent of Berserk and Witch Hat Atelier (like, you can see the throughline from Gustav Dore in all those.) It's pretty cool, all the action scene especially after the first chapter are very clear and dynamic, and the magic system seems somewhat well thought out, although a lot of times they explain the rules after they've done it, so there's no way for the audience to guess at how something happens, its a bit handwavey and focusing more on just spectacle.

The worldbuilding is... also more style over substance, with things given very literal names like "Continents 1 through 4" and "The Holy Church". Not much chance the audience can misunderstand what those things mean, but also kind of weird no one in this world cared enough to name the continents.

So far with the characters I get that one is cool and collected and one is fierce and impatient. I'm not seeing much effort on the part of the author to give them more personality than that. I find sometimes manga will set up some characters who are very clear archetypes, and then at some point will do a flashback to show how they were different in their youth. Because then the reader knows "oh, they weren't always like this, before they were like this." But I want characters to show more aspects of their personalities in the present, not just show me "they were once this way, now they are this way."

I'm pretty alright with the characters and actually like the whole "Continent 1-4" thing as well as the church being super military. It gives things a similar feel to Spy x Family of things taking place in a pseudo military state.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tosk posted:

My biggest issue with that manga is that it has been on hiatus since 2022 :(

I feel it too. :(

Ccs posted:

Oh yeah, I read the author's had health issues, they were supposed to resume after like 6 months but then it lasted until now. Hope its not long covid...

This one stings because Tensei Slime: Walking the Country of Monsters hot recently cancelled due author health issues.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Thirst Mutilator posted:

This is how I learn this? Aw man. Hope the author recovers.

Not entirely a salve, but the others are still going strong and there are two new ones(one about a goblin learning how to cook and another about Rimuru, Hinata, Veldora, and I think Luminas forming a dungeon crawling party to take on a tower of knowledge.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Looked into this and I thought the original series got cancelled, I didn't know there were SO MANY spinoffs. Still sucks, still hope the author recovers.

It's Kodansha's big money maker and pretty much THE headliner for it's LN publisher Micro Magazine who also does the Sword Dad series. Pretty much every LN release outsells the rest of the Top 10 COMBINED and the manga pulls in numbers that rival some of Jumps stuff. Series isn't going anywhere any time soon. And yeah, that one was special since it was the first spinoff and 100% canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New chapter of Medalist dropped. Some pretty big revelations and backstory.