Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Boku wa Mari no Naka is a body swap manga as imagined by Oshimi Shuzo (guy behind flowers of evil), it's just started picking up speed

unless you want to wait for it in glorious rotoscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Breaky posted:

I didn't really get the ending :smith:

agreed it's higher than David Lynch-level in ambiguousness, overall a bit disappointing series although it had a nice atmosphere

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
The last chapter of Otto Carius is finally released, for us that prefer tank action with pigs rather than high school girls

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I've been sort of scrounging for Seinen picks lately since I'm up to date with everything (especially given how slow some of these series are uploaded), sort of unwisely going into the unexplored wilderness that exists outside of goon recommendations. There's a lot of really loved series that get recommended that I've never been able to get into, mostly because of art style, like Cesare and Dorohedoro (this is also true of older manga so old that it shows in the visual style and Nihei manga, it's shallow of me but I can't help it, I'll push through them at some point when I'm desperate enough for something to read).

I have similar issues with you regarding art style, I know I'd love Dorohedoro for example but I just can't get over the beginning yet and ran through Blame! on fast-forward.

I think you should give Knights of Sidonia a chance though, it's very different from other Nihei manga and quickly became one of my favourites. You just need to get used to paying attention to people's haircuts since faces are mostly the same but otherwise the art supports the story very well.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Anatharon posted:

Are there any good, high-tension drama/mystery/whatever manga that are not weirdly fetishistic with any horror that might get involved?

not much currently ongoing, checking through my RSS list I see only Boku dake ga Inai Machi and Soil

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31QP4SE3Gw

I'm not so sure about the trailer, Tanikaze looks grim instead of dopey and the pop music and voice acting gives it a more Macross feel. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle rather than generic space anime. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is that a manga-ka worth exploring? Which series? I'm afraid I don't think I've heard of them before.

just the best post-apocalyptic manga, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

it should belong on the first page really

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Chas McGill posted:

I've been reading Homunculus and think it's pretty cool. I have a question for those who have finished it, though:
I really enjoyed the first storyline with the yakuza boss, but the extended pschyosexual schoolgirl rape scene has put me off. What I want to know is if that sets the tone for the rest of the manga or if it goes back to focusing on different people with interesting homunculi?

I recall it gets steadily worse and worse although more boring than perverted, I'd cut my losses and move on

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Pewdiepie posted:

Prison school is way better than whatever other manga that guy makes.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Chas McGill posted:

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Franken Fran is more of a really macabre comedy anyways.

Looks fun and the art seems interesting so I'll check it out at some point.

If you tolerate Homonculus and Franken Fran you might be ok with Fourteen, I struggle to recommend it outright but it has some of the most ridiculously memorable chapters in manga history. Mostly just screaming though.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

z0glin Warchief posted:

The answer lies within (this image (possibly)):

Am I the only one who checked for rot13 on the towel text?

The mangaka is really dialling up the Mono no Aware to 11, I wonder if you can die from overdose?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Ytlaya posted:

How did people avoid smelling like BO in warmer climates without effective deodorant? Google says that the earliest modern-style deodorant wasn't until the late 19th century.

BO depends on many factors like skin acidity, diet, genetics and your particular bacteria flora. Washing with soap actually lowers acidity which can lead to worse BO, of course soap has other benefits.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
artist has never seen a wetsuit butt though, there's never a crack

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Best Shiori Experience so far, like a Yasujiro Ozu movie!

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Pierson posted:

You, the person reading this post, should definitely be reading Houseki no Kuni

I haven't watched anime in decades but this might work well, looking forward to October

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

OneDeadman posted:

"What if Mickey Mouse was a god like figure that actually originated from Japan and if you draw him well you can tap into his knowledge. Also there's a bad Mickey Mouse who will tell you to do things that will bring the end of the world but there's no way to tell" loving rules

armed with this knowledge what chapter near the end could I skip to? I usually don't have the patience for the Urasawa midgame

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

ElBrak posted:

but it is a very horny manga.

it's just in the first few chapters, I recall later on the horniness gets dropped very abruptly, sort of like with Soremachi

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Pewdiepie posted:

The greed island arc in Usogui is phenomenal.

what chapter does it start?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

RatHat posted:

Well, Wakusei Closet ended. I was liking it up until the last chapter when it just kinda ends without resolving much. I don’t think it got cancelled so I wonder what happened.

I thought it was perfect (like Inland Empire!) although with the slow update pace it's hard to keep track of the early details, like the author says in the end it's probably best enjoyed reading twice, maybe I'll do that in a few years. She obviously had the whole story mapped out before starting.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
After almost two volumes of (great) worldbuilding and character introductions it looks like The Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier could be starting more of a plot.

https://mangadex.org/title/43354

best currently running manga I think

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
pretty promising start on this old fashioned adventure from Mizukami Satoshi (Spirit Circle, Biscuit Hammer)

https://mangadex.org/title/44673

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

grate deceiver posted:

I don't want to yuck anyones yum, but those battle manga are insanely boring to me. Has there been anything good in the last year with an actual story?

I don't read battle manga either but I made an exception for Chainsaw Man which finished recently, the "fights" are short and have very tangible consequences, and the world is quite logically consistent and the story is well thought out from beginning to end

Vesi fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 18, 2021

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Galvanik posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for older hosed up psychological manga? Stuff in the vein of Boys Abyss, Chi no Wadachi, or Yakedo Shoujo.

noone does this as well as Shuzo and Asao, but there's some genre-adjecent ones

Shibito no Koe wo Kiku ga Yoi
more classic horror-style, the club president is an amazing anti-hero

nacuN / Nachun
goes off the rails after a few volumes but the beginning is strong

The Fable
maybe more tarantino than psychological, very simple-minded main characters

Asshou
started recently, let's see how it develops

Vesi fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 2, 2021

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
we already knew they'd be a white supremacist with military training, so I was expecting a proud boy type or a paragon gamer nerd

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
chainsaw man, fable, frieren, dungeon food, dorohedoro and flowers of evil stand out to me out of seinen-adjecent stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

grate deceiver posted:

I would say if you didn't like it up to that point then it's better to just drop it, because it gets much more uncomfortable later on.

Also the mangadex version has an extended interview with Matsumoto at the end, if anyone is interested in his expalanation of the themes of the manga.

and tl;dr of the themes was that he didn't mean it to be any kind of trans analogy, he just liked the energy and attitude of the high school girls at the (coffee shop?) where he used to go