Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

fable exudes strong (& deliberate) boomer throwback energy in its views on proper masculinity and today’s youth, as well as pretty much misaki’s whole character, but that doesn’t preclude it from kicking rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

volume 15 of The Fable scanlated into english

good setup volume. RIP boss. pretty sweet kill method. I kind of hope the mushroom hitman gets away, his consummate professionalism and attention to detail are admirable. conversely, I'll be mildly disappointed if we don't see someone take a luger bullet to the face before this arc is over.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

interested in Out, but the early volumes don’t seem to be up on mangadex in english. can someone give me a link to the aforementioned (or tell me which scan group did them)?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

found the early vols of Out on Kakalot. so far it’s a pretty by-the-numbers youth gang delinquent tale, but the characters are all pretty likeable so I’m in

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

okay by chapter 33 I’m invested in out. manga has fukumoto-esque ruminations on masculinity and freedom but also, good art

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I just got to the wartime yakiniku party and yall aint kidding

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

this park arc in out just went on and on

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

final verdict on Out: It’s an entertaining read (and definitely ultra-violent) but the plot progresses way too glacially for me to recommend it over similar titles. For me a large part of the appeal of delinquent manga is watching them horse around together in peacetime, and as the series got mired in the park and the junkyard that fun element has been predominantly subsumed by endless backstory. The fights are sick and this one seemingly upcoming seems like it’ll be one of the sickest, so I remain “in.”

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m not sure I like where the plot of The Bouncer is progressing to but at least it’s actually going somewhere, unlike Out

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

maybe I’m a prude but I’m not sure a thread about a manga with a deuteragonist whose main character trait is “wants to rape maidens” and which features ambiguously underage dragon twin sisters whose main character traits are “want to gently caress each other” would be very good. these aren’t even uncharitable readings.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

fable ended perfectly. everything I wanted to be acknowledged, they did. cinematic as gently caress, as befitting yamaoka. incredibly funny as well. an alltimer seinen manga

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

speaking of urasawa, I thought asadora! started off strong but it’s been meandering on her high school years. It looks like we’re due for a timeskip (reading the viz english volumes) soon though.

I also read master keaton recently and thought that started off strong as well, though by volume 3 it was apparent how formulaic it would be for its duration. Some chapters are really good post-unification spy fiction with conspiracies and scandals contemporaneous to its date of original publication.

I think as far as urasawa goes, nothing touches the heights monster/pluto/20th century boys did.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

this is why I rate pluto the highest of his works, because he’s iterating on an existing narrative he keeps it pretty punchy

monster and 20cb I haven’t read in more than a decade so I accept that I’m remembering mainly the big beats, but I nevertheless was left with a lasting impression from them (whereas I can barely recall the main plot thrust of billy bat)

Asadora! does look like it’s on a dramatic upswing so I’m looking forward to the next volume

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m happy that Fable: Second Contract hasn’t had a palpable drop in quality from its predecessor, which has happened to so many of the seinen I’ve read.

No new volume yet but I’m not sure if these omake were posted in this thread

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

oh yeah I guess it’s on me to say that new chapters of The Fable: Second Contract were translated into anglish

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

also I forgot to post this from volume 2

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

imho 2nd contract is kind of jumping the shark a little especially with regards to yoko but it’s still more entertaining than most manga. we’re due for a volume drop soon

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ReadSeinen released The Fable - The Second Contract Volume 4 earlier this month. I've kind of looped back around on the tako/yuko plotline because the authour writes him as a paragon of middle-aged soft masculinity and it's very endearing; in other words, I see what yuko sees in him

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah by far the most objectionable part of the manga is the authour's seeming inability to have a woman character not serve as a damsel in distress. even yoko, by far the woman with the most independence and agency in the narrative, gets put in situations like the one in this volume's, though the authour probably thinks it empowerment to have her flawlessly triangle choke her assailant. Hopefully by arc's end she'll get to say, it's alright now.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

verbal enema posted:

that manga sucks

for real. im gei ate a month for singing its praises earlier itt and I can’t imagine it got any less headass or horny in the interim

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

thanks. I read it earlier this week but selfishly did not link it. this arc has kind of a dumb initial premise but it’s heating up nicely. loved youko’s way of blowing off steam. it’s alright now.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

fable: second contract volume 7

these rumour-affiliated killers really getting up to some villain poo poo :blastu:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Tosk posted:

About the last volume of The Fable: have we met the guy that betrayed Rumor before? I haven't reread in some time and his name sounds familiar but I can't recall.

sasaki/suzuki is from way back. he was working with disgraced former yakuza utsubo on extortion schemes, and ran afoul of satou and youko when him and utsubo targeted satou and misaki’s pervert coworker at octopass (the one that had an obsession with/was secretly filming misaki). he got outclassed during an encounter with youko that left him with a lasting impression, and was imperative to the resolution of the arc by operating an excavator to hold down the mine that would have blown off wheelchair girl’s legs. he left on good terms with the gang, good to see him again.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Squidster posted:

It's been a long time, but a new chapter of The Bugle Call just dropped.

Beloved Empress

thanks for posting. this manga owns.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

good ending. love the mangaka’s macho boomer rants. strange development with the suicide frequency which left things a little too clean but otherwise very satisfying. all the best characters survived, hell yea. the sequel was shorter and as such had fewer slice-of-life/laid-back moments but I’m looking forward to the third contract (and hoping that everyone but akira and youko stay out of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

trillion game seems to be getting scans again, its by the writer of eyeshield 21 and the artist of crying freeman. I like it a lot because it’s basically a gambling/psychological thriller manga but on a corporate scale

the aeron panel… shits about to go down