Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I am a hero finally picks up at around chapter 70 or so. I was extremely disappointed in it until then, as I'm a huge fan of the author's other work (Boys on the Run and Ressentiment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I kind of love the ending to Boys on the Run, even if it's the Kengo Hanazawa manga I'm least likely to ever read again. Like sure, I Am a Hero hosed up the landing, but it's still overall a better journey I think. I don't know because I haven't actually read Boys in the Run in full in the sense that I started it a billion years ago whenever they started scanning first and I never did a reread. So maybe it's a solid journey of repugnant lovely characters.
I digress because I was saying I really enjoyed the final fight. It's this one shithead loser against another shithead loser, but one of them can fight well, but he's already heavily injured, so the shithead loser MC uses the assistance of a child and another adult to finally beat him. It's just dirty and dumb and fitting for a manga mostly full of lovely people with minor minor victories.

I liked the 116th chapter, it's a funny little epilogue. would've been too schmaltzy for such a dirty sad pathetic manga if it had ended at 115. good fun.

also :lol:

I think it definitely peaked at the poo poo fight, but it was really good overall. That last-page exposition dump by the kid was very lol.

Was the guy that Gen mentioned at the end Ando, the same boxer who Tanishi and Hana had to beat together?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I hope (shuumetsu no valkyrie) Kojiro doesnt like die offscreen or anything. the part about not feeling so good after the fight was concerning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is Usogui the only "sinister high-stakes gambling" manga currently active? I really enjoyed One Outs, Liar Game, and Gambling Emperor Zero but it's hard to find more like them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

While I enjoy Usogui, it definitely has some of the dumbest "tricks" used in its gambles. Like the camera eyes in the hangman one you mention, or the guy who has synesthesia that lets him detect the locations of everyone in a labyrinth by listening to pipes.

Usogui benefits from (at least up until the point I'm at) having the sidekick character do things other than "comment on how awesome the main gambler guy/girl is."

I consider the "high stakes gambling" genre to be a subgenre of the "death games" genre (some of which include gambling alongside other games/competitions). Probably the best representative of the genre is Kami-sama no Iu Toori.
Kamisama was pretty unbelievably hype for the first part. I'd forgotten about it but those first 15 or so chapters were just bananas. (the rest is still fine, but the beginning is just insane, seriously a must-read)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

High stakes Gambling is an entire sub genre now.
Though most tend to have a really boring MC and generic supporting cast. Usogui is partly great because of the jojo-esque insanity of the world.

Alwo ones involving female characters tend to be overly horny for no good reason? I unno

Read Kaiji.
It's for sure a sub genre (and yes I've read every Fukumoto!!), but ever since Liar Game ended I'm not aware of any new ones. There was a period where Liar Game, Kami-sama, Usogui, and maybe a few others were all running concurrently and I just don't know of any now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 26, 2020