Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Plutonis posted:

Oh yeah Ravages of Time and Souten Kouro (the latter got loving dropped by scanlator though which pissed me off cause it was my favorite rotk manga)

I checked out what's been scanslated of Souten Kouro cause I love Ravages of Time and wow, it's pretty good. Really liked the portrayal of Cao Cao and Liu Bei (Sun Jians kinda boring but he's dead so whatever). Cao Cao's actions and speech seem outrageous/cartoonishly outlandish but it fits when I think about the original Three Kingdoms novel - a person able to accomplish all of those feats must definitely have been an extraordinary/eccentric person.

Also enjoyed the depiction of Liu Bei as a fast talker/swindler con-man which was quite refreshing. He's similar to the Ravages of Time Liu Bei in that they are both highly skilled at manipulating people but the Souten Kouro one is less "noble" I suppose.

Only 74/400 chapters were translated so I'm pissed off too. Thanks for introducing me to it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
I knew what I was getting into after the first chapter of Fire Punch so I enjoyed it for the convoluted edgy mess that it was. I read the entire series in two sittings so I could see what the author was trying to do though the execution was a bit off due to the pacing. If I had read it week by week I think I would've dropped it way sooner.

Fire Punch had a bunch of weird gross sexual stuff in it but I don't really remember much exploitative fan service clearly meant to get people's rocks off. I felt it was similar to Gantz in the random violence regard.

Chainsaw man owns though.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

RatHat posted:

Since it’s October I’m gonna recommend Wakusei Closet, the body horror is really strong. Be aware that the author has no qualms about killing off child characters. It’s like how Jojo is with dogs.

Not many pages I can show off without spoilers so have this horrible little bird thing

Thanks for posting this, I love it. Binge read the entire thing and now to play the waiting game.

It really reminds me of Yume Nikki

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

RatHat posted:

Yeah about that waiting game. Apparently the next volume comes out in 6 months. Yeah...

:smith:

Not surprised though it still sucks. Good seinen stuff always have wonky release schedules

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

RatHat posted:

I'm definitely gonna need to do a re-read but I have a feeling this is just the kind of story that's meant to have unanswered questions.

Yeah, I feel that way as well. I also need to do a re-read because I completely forgot all the character’s names but I think we’re supposed to be left in the dark about the aliens and planet just like the characters are. It adds to the surreal creepiness of the story too.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Apparently, the final 3 chapters of About the Movement of the Earth was uploaded a few months ago.

Ending felt super abrupt to me, with the last few chapters being a little preachy/exposition heavy. But I enjoyed the idea of it once I saw what the author was trying to go for. I really enjoyed this manga overall, thanks to those who recommended it in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
bet you boeing has access to that suicide wave emitter