Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

I've read a few series that have been described that way but they all seem to come off to me more like 'The virtuous samurai has no choice but to perform evil acts at his lord's command, ah, what a tragic fate for a noble soul' than 'A philosophy that values loyalty over morality is really loving stupid when those demanding your loyalty are immoral'.

Can you recommend one where the protagonist goes 'screw THIS' to Bushido and it's unequivocally presented as the right thing to do?

There's a difference between the opinions of the characters and what happens in the story, though. Like Shigurui has the members of this sword dojo defending the honor of their dojo and master, but they're also all portrayed as pretty terrible people.

One part I liked just because it was relatively realistic is when Gennosuke has this scene where he's killing these guys bare-handed and getting their teeth stuck in his palms, and I thought that was just being done to show how hard he was hitting them, but then a couple chapters later his hand is all swollen and festering from an infection he got from the teeth that got stuck in his palm lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Latest chapter of Hiroya Oku's Gigant dropped and aside that I'm just reading this boring poo poo out of habit, goddamn Oku is just being lazy as hell with everything. From him just using filtered digital photos to drawing the main characters of his story.

I just read some of this, and it's some of the most hilariously dumb poo poo I've ever read. My favorite part so far is when she rejects him and he just immediately starts crying and wailing in a public restaurant and manages to guilt her into dating him. And then this leads to True Love!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of funny how the gods are like "I have to fulfill my peoples' hopes and dreams" when the whole purpose of this tournament is just to decide whether humans will be exterminated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ringo Roadagain posted:

someone has been translating the war's unwomanly face manga from arabic to english

https://mangadex.org/title/36625/war-s-unwomanly-face

The chapter about how they had to deal with periods was interesting/horrifying. Christ, that must have been utterly miserable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Supersonic Shine posted:

So I was right. Raiden was just too cool to live.

This fight felt kinda fast, but I got the chills near the end anyway. I really didn't know which one of them was gonna win, and while I did get more attached to Shiva, the gods are the antagonists of the tournament, so this isn't very good in the long run.

Yeah it's kind of hard to like the "fighting for his comrades" character when the stakes of the tournament are just "mass genocide if gods win, status quo if gods lose."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As others mentioned Buddha taking this angle kind of damns Hercules. I would be fine with overlooking the whole "fighting for the extermination of humanity while saying you love humans is bizarre and dumb" thing otherwise, but having one of the gods outright reject taking that role later makes it harder to overlook.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I imagine it's edited in since all the british slang is a different font than the surrounding text.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Maybe, put it wouldn't have been as funny as 'Bleedin Muppet' or 'Bloomin Tosser'.

The problem is that it repeats the same terms multiple times in the space of a handful of panels in a way that just sounds weirdly forced.

(Also why is the font different only for those words if it was included in the original translation?)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Davedave24 posted:

They are speaking with two fonts in the original art, and while i dont know what the phrases translate to exactly (and google camera translate isn't being much help) they certainly appear to be repeating the exact same phrases each time, so the fact that their language is weird and forced-seeming is the intent. The translation is not cringe, the characters are cringe :eng101:

Ah, so in the original text they were also repeating the exact same insult multiple times. Now it makes sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bula Vinaka posted:

Almost finished with Chi no Wadachi.

This definitely needs to be a film. I don't usually read Manga, but these read like storyboards to me (well, most comics do for that matter).

It should probably be a Japanese film, but it could be adapted to English (American or European).

I'm not familiar enough with Japanese directors, but for American / European, I could see this as a Denis Villeneuve or Alejandro G. Ińárritu movie.

I actually feel like a film would have trouble capturing things like facial expressions. Otherwise I'd agree that the general plot could be paced well in a film.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As of the most recent chapter of Shiori Experience, the end game has finally become visible and Jimi's plan has been revealed. Through playing a rad song, Shiori has allowed Jimi Hendrix to jack into this entire crowd. It won't be long until the entire world is under the control of Jimi Hendrix.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading Fable and am up to chapter 111. It's extremely good; my only minor gripe is the way Misaki's character is used.

Youko is the best. She is both very funny and cool.

edit right after the next chapter: So cool!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 13, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'm reading Fable, based solely on reactions in this thread, I'm around chapter 84 and Youko is basically the best character and it isn't even close. :allears:

You haven't seen the coolest Youko yet

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

I had never realized how popular the works of Yumi Tamura were until I saw the chart in this post and noticed Do Not Say Mystery was her latest. (although it was pretty obvious, Basara was huge and I haven't read 7 Seeds but I know it at least went on for many years)

7 Seeds is great, but I think it was in a shoujo magazine. Very different from anything else I've read; the whole "fantastical sci-fi plot, but told with a primary focus on the relationships within a very large cast of characters" thing it does is very compelling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! Awesome find.

I've read the first few chapters a couple times over the years and never got into it, but didn't dislike what little I saw. I knew it was shoujo though, didn't mean to imply Yumi Tamura was a seinen author.

It takes a while to get into. I'd at least keep going until you reach the point where it introduces one of the other groups. The first PoV chatacter is kind of boring early on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The seemingly rare manga where yakuza are apparently scumbags like in real life instead of cool guys

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FAT BATMAN posted:

I suppose you’re right; realistically one of the first discussions they should have had was “does anyone know you’re here, do you have any friends you trust,” and getting her to a hospital as soon as she tried to drown herself but…I mean…I guess the question this story presents is, like, if someone is mentally in a bad way, how far can you go in attempting to help, (and in what ways), and what red flags do they need to raise (ignoring the suicide gags bc otherwise it’s obvious) before you really really need to leave it to professionals?

Or maybe these are the wrong questions to ask, bc the premise can’t hold them up, and it’s rly just a problematic romance story about “what if a beautiful damsel in distress desperately needed your encyclopedic knowledge of isekai LNs” :eng99:

I feel like having your child die (especially at the sort of age this woman's son did) is the sort of tragedy where there's no real "treatment." It's not the sort of thing you can necessarily recover from, even with all the mental health support in the world. I agree that it's really uncomfortable having him enable the delusion, but on the other hand there's not necessarily a clear upside to not doing so. It's hard to say what should be done in his position, since you can't force someone to get treatment and given some stuff from the recent chapter (or the one before it, forget) it seems like she's not very close with her husband, which isn't that surprising since they met as high-schoolers who accidently had a child*. In his shoes, I would be very worried that the woman would just kill herself. So just "giving them a friendly person they can be around while convincing them not to kill themselves (using logic they'll agree with)" might be the best he can reasonably do.

* this is also kind of a problem, though, because if I had to bet, it's probably going to end up being some sort of romance, since they've gone out of their way to establish that the husband is, at the very least, cheating. That by itself isn't necessarily a big deal (if anything it's pretty realistic for a marriage formed between high-schoolers who accidently had a kid to fall apart), but more what it strongly implies about the direction of the story.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 18, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Wrong thread

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dipwood posted:

Read through The Fable over the past couple weeks, thoughts: Very good. I couldn't stop reading most of the time. Art and expressions were on point. The only thing I didn't like were how The Satous were not really driving the plot forward. They were just reacting to things happening to them. Akira also had some serious Goku Syndrome with all the danger coalescing around him just because he exists. The blurry fist-fighting was also kinda lazy, they were portraying everything so realistic but those parts looked really strange, especially since in a lot of them aside from their arms, they were standing still. Otherwise, a great manga, 9/10.

Fable is best when it's doing comedy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

let's go ressentiment

I really like how after gradually developing as a person and making real-life connections over the course of the series, when the moment of truth finally arrives he throws it all away for the VR fantasy. It's a more interesting and realistic way for it to end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Also recently discovered Jumbo Max, which is about an old pharmacy dude with Erectile Disfunction finding the one rare ED pill that works for him, and then trying to replicate the formula. Its still getting started but looks like its going to be a manga take of Breaking Bad.

Also its by the guy that made Sidooh, who has a very cool style of drawing.

This is good, but it stresses me out.

I hope that it turns out the wife is actually not cheating on him, even if it seems deeply implausible that he was able to get hard for the first time ever while drunk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Welp, it's over for Leonidas now. He did a cool comeback attack without finishing off the enemy at the end of the chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Worst Doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you need specific medicine to treat tetanus. otherwise, it's either going to kill someone or not and there's not much a doctor can do about it.

He didn't seem to even know it was Tetanus, and I think there are still things you can do to help manage the symptoms, like the muscle spasms.

Edit: looking at it again, and just noticed the tag given by the first doctor just indicates she's going to die and to just give pain medication until then. The second panel with him is maybe him explaining this and being tuned out. The second just seems to not even examine her.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 26, 2024