Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Briantist posted:

I don't use a lot of cash, but I find it easy enough to use a Cash account in YNAB. Every other account is accurate to the cent, Cash is accurate to the dollar for me. A $3.25 muffin is $4.00. If I buy that muffin tomorrow and use a quarter from today's change, it will be a $3.00 muffin. If I buy a bagel for $3.95 and count out $0.95 in change from car then it's a $3 bagel. Basically for me it's not cash that isn't real, it's change. This makes a cash account super easy and mostly accurate.

I hardly ever use cash so again it's easier than if you use cash for everything. My main use of cash is for gas since it's cheaper and at most full service stations they top up to get a round number anyway.

Cash is accurate to the $20 bill for me on YNAB. Its the most annoying thing to track because I don't ever save my quarters, dollars are lost here and there in the laundry (and later found).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I never track cash in YNAB. If I get a large amount of cash I deposit it and track it as income. When I make a cash withdrawal at an ATM or get cash back it comes out of whatever category I needed the cash for. Any cash left over from it's initial purpose can be used freely.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
These are fairly close to what I can personally manage for cash as well. For cash received, I rarely need to deposit it anymore, but I do convert it in my records: It typically becomes "food money". Any ATM withdrawals either go to cash for food or for laundry. The laundry cash tends to become quarters, so it's very easy to keep that isolated, and the remaining cash is typically always for food and nothing else. I don't track individual food purchases made with cash, but at least all the change tends to get used as food money in the future. In the rare events that I've spent cash for something else, I've entered some minimal record for the sake of fairness to account balances.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Well, hell. I'm glad I popped in here if for no other reason than to find out YNAB has a demo. I'm going to check that out once I get to my home computer.

I've struggled here and there with managing my money, but fortunately the worst that's happened is I have $200 more on my credit card than I thought I did. The only debt I have is $400 remaining on my laptop, which I'm going to knock out this month. I've been tinkering around with a new budget, as in a couple months my rent/utilities change significantly, and the following month my cell phone bill is probably going to go up. So the theme of my new budget is that I figure out my monthly bills and ballpark my food/booze/video game expenses, and bank the rest. I've got a big trip to Disney in November and I'm concerned about how much that is going to cost me, so I figure shoving as much money as possible into savings to prepare for that is a good strategy. The first draft of my new, default budget looks like so. It's very simple because I don't have car payments or student loans and so on.

quote:

MONTHLY: 1858

BILLS
Rent - 397
Power - 90
Net - 45
Food - 300
Misc. - 60
Cell - 100
Gas - 40
Netflix - 8
Haircut - 40

SAVINGS
Regular - 200
Vacation - 575

I'm having trouble, though, in parting an Emergency Fund from a long-term, not-vacation fund. My current estimate is that I've got 6 or 7 months of cushion, which seems like a good amount to me. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure what to do. Anything past a bog-standard savings account is way over my head.

To complicate things further, I'm a state university employee and part of some pension system I don't entirely understand. All I know is they take around $200 a month, which I don't see until I retire (and being 26 that seems so far away as to not be any issue) or, I think, when I leave the University. Maybe. Fair enough, but am I supposed to be long-term/retirement saving something else on the side?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sorry this doesn't address your retirement question but there is almost no reason to be paying $100/mo for smartphone stuff anymore. There are a lot of cell re-sellers out there really undercut the biggies while still using their towers.

My wife has straight talk, walmart's plan, it's $45/mo for unlimited calling/text and 2GB data a month on ATTs towers. We brought our own phone there (bought a $200 Galaxy SII) and it works awesome. There are even better deals out there, but your best bet is to pick a company that's going to be using the best service in your area (att/vz/tmo/sprint).

If you're interested there is a lot of good info in the pre-paid cellphone thread in IYG.

Otherwise I think you're looking ok. You're saving money and you have a good emergency fund. Always "pay yourself" before you start the fun stuff. That means paying all your bills, saving what you want, and then worrying about how much left over you have for booze and games, etc.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

morcant posted:

I'm having trouble, though, in parting an Emergency Fund from a long-term, not-vacation fund. My current estimate is that I've got 6 or 7 months of cushion, which seems like a good amount to me. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure what to do.
To bounce off dreesemonkey's comment about paying yourself before the fun stuff, my only caution would be that having a big, catch-all account might seem simple, but it's also a bit too easy to rape it without noticing. "Oh, I need $20 extra for this thing here and I can get it a week early because I have $5000 sitting in emergency+vacation+stuff and $20 is 'nothing'" is what leads to credit cards and no vacations.

Instead, start with some estimates: Driving or flying? What are the current daily ticket prices? How much do you think you'll eat/drink in the park per day? If you'll be at a hotel, find some median prices online now. How much will you spend on souvenirs and/or gifts? Will you go out to eat each night? Get a total and see if it matches what people are saying online. Add 5-20%, divide by five, and that's how much you need to save for each of the next five months.

Budget that amount into "vacation", and drop the rest in the emergency or capital expense fund. Check the personal finance thread for suggestions about better utility for the remaining money past your six-months' emergency fund (CDs, money markets, bonds, Roth, etc.)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Just wanted to chime in that I've been using the demo version of YNAB, and it's been like an epiphany. Once you get all the dollars doing their own jobs, everything seems so much easier, and you feel like you have so much more control than when you have the illusion of flexibility that comes without a budget (and it is just an illusion). If anyone who doesn't budget yet comes across this post, I highly recommend YNAB - you know, because You Need A Budget.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

OrangeKing posted:

Just wanted to chime in that I've been using the demo version of YNAB, and it's been like an epiphany. Once you get all the dollars doing their own jobs, everything seems so much easier, and you feel like you have so much more control than when you have the illusion of flexibility that comes without a budget (and it is just an illusion). If anyone who doesn't budget yet comes across this post, I highly recommend YNAB - you know, because You Need A Budget.

Also want to agree here. It's incredibly powerful and makes me feel really safe when I actually do spend something, because it's accounted for in my budget. Plus one license is good for multiple computers so we don't have to purchase separate copies for all the computers in the house. I was using Mint before and it didn't help me budget at all. It beats a spreadsheet by far too in case anyone is wondering.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

Also want to agree here. It's incredibly powerful and makes me feel really safe when I actually do spend something, because it's accounted for in my budget. Plus one license is good for multiple computers so we don't have to purchase separate copies for all the computers in the house. I was using Mint before and it didn't help me budget at all. It beats a spreadsheet by far too in case anyone is wondering.

Though if you were an intermediate-level excel wizard you could easily recreate a less-pretty version of YNAB for yourself.

I bought the program anyway, though, because it's excellent.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well last night I grabbed a cup, tossed my two credit cards in, filled the cup with water and stuck it in the freezer. I've been spending too much on fast food at/after work. I think this will help my wife and I try to consolidate our shopping trips anyway. I'll probably delete my credit card numbers from Amazon too.

If an emergency happens I'll just go to the bank with my ID and get some cash out.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 5, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Well last night I grabbed a cup, tossed my two credit cards in, filled the cup with water and stuck it in the freezer. I've been spending too much on fast food at/after work. I think this will help my wife and I try to consolidate our shopping trips anyway. I'll probably delete my credit card numbers from Amazon too.

If an emergency happens I'll just go to the bank with my ID and get some cash out.

Old thread closed and you already fell off the wagon. Jay slash kay bro.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Can this still be the monthly, "I stuck to/was under my budget :smug:" or the "I on a spending spree and went way over budget :cry:" thread? I really enjoyed seeing other people's budgets and whether or not they stuck to them.

Yeah, I went a solid month and then for some reason my wife and I fell off the wagon. Thankfully she got an unexpected bonus a couple months ago that puts us where I expected to be.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Shadowhand00 posted:

OP - you may also want to add the 4 rules of YNAB into the OP as well as the webinars they have available...

I figured I'd give the thread a chance at infancy before I started the debate on this point :buddy: so as to provide new readers a chance to grab some starter info before having to wade through pages of philosophical crap, but I'll have to say that I'll pass. We've already seen, in our mere two score posts, that there are different methodologies that are effective, and some will not work given people's circumstances or styles. Were I to build a section for budgeting philosophies, instead of basic techniques, I should want to at least attempt to be fair and thorough.

To wit, here is "Part One" of some notions about your money:

YNAB says: Give every dollar a job, Save for a rainy day, Roll with the punches, and Live on last month's income. (I'm not sure I even agree with the third).

A Treatise on Domestic Economy (1845), by Catherine Esther Beecher, Chapter 16, might roughly be summarized as suggesting the following:
  1. Take great care "to know the amount of income and of current expenses, so that the proper relative proportion be preserved, and the expenditures never exceed the means."
  2. A couple should have a "system and forethought, in arranging expenses". Yes, give each member of the household an 'allowance'.
  3. "[I]n apportioning an income, among various objects, the most important should receive the largest supply, and that all retrenchments be made in matters of less importance". Rent and food are more important than Steam.
  4. It's a bit silly to buy "some expensive article, which is not at all in keeping with the other articles connected with it". (Buying a shiny boat and parking it next to a collapsing shed, which serves as your abode, is kinda dumb.)
  5. Don't waste time on necessities that you can frugally buy, nor money on expensive tasks that you can perform easily. Her example (translated, by me) is sitting around knitting for 20 hours when gloves cost $5-10, or sending kids off to a $2-6k/month "preparatory school" when you can teach them reading, writing, and arithmetic, and drive them to the playground that is five miles away for $2 (and play with them or do something useful like reading a book to get a license for X). Spending $5k a month so you "have time to knit" is... possibly quite silly.
  6. Don't waste money hiring people by "neglecting to acquire and apply mechanical skill". There are plenty of people that will help you learn how to change the oil in your car.
  7. Buying the "cheapest" or "most expensive" is usually dumb, as most "articles at medium prices do the best service". Cheap things often don't last, or require more expense for repairs, and expensive things likely are of no better quality than objects of medium price.
  8. "Buying by wholesale, and keeping a large supply on hand, are economical only in large families;... in other cases, the hazards of accident, and the temptation to a lavish use, will make the loss outrun the profits". I buy food at Costco, but rarely do I find that any of it has gone stale.
  9. "[A]ll articles should be so used, and taken care of, as to secure the longest service, with the least waste". "Whatever is no longer wanted for... enjoyment, should be carefully saved, to add to the enjoyment of others". I just realized that I have a bunch of pots, which I received third hand, in reasonable condition, that I don't actually use; they are on the list to go to Goodwill, both to make my kitchen cabinets less cramped, so I can actually get things off the floor :razz: and open racks, and to help others that can't afford new.)
  10. "The rich are not at liberty to spend their treasures for themselves, alone. Their wealth is given, by God, to be employed for the best good of mankind". It's easy to identify people with money that still try to give something back to humanity. On the other hand, giving poor people money, boats, or even land, may be a waste compared to teaching them to cook, build houses, or excel at a trade. I would argue, by extension, that it might not be economical to give kids new toys each week instead of demonstrating and teaching to them enjoyment in one's possessions.
  11. "A person of wealth has no occasion to spend time in looking for extra cheap articles; her time could be more profitably employed in distributing to the wants of others". "[T]he practice of beating down tradespeople, is vulgar and degrading". Wearing a fur coat while arguing loudly with the dentist's secretary about a $10 charge for a dosage of aspirin that was prescribed after tooth work? :flame:
  12. "[D]o not hesitate to say so, when [you] cannot afford certain indulgences".

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 5, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Wow, that definitely sounds a lot better than my barely-functional 3G coverage through Sprint for $92/mo.

I'm coming up on the end of my contract in October, and was looking into Verizon's monthly stuff as my next provider, since Sprint's local coverage is not very good at all. I'd like to upgrade to an iPhone 5 (especially if the 5S/6/whatever drives down the price a bit), and beyond that all I really want is reliable data coverage. I've been posting a little in the Recommend Me a Phone/Plan thread, and am hoping the 5 shows up on Verizon's pay-as-you-go plan by the time my contact's up. I'll definitely take another look at Straight Talk, though, as I remember AT&T's local coverage being pretty good when I had my 3GS a couple years back.

dreesemonkey posted:

Otherwise I think you're looking ok. You're saving money and you have a good emergency fund. Always "pay yourself" before you start the fun stuff. That means paying all your bills, saving what you want, and then worrying about how much left over you have for booze and games, etc.

Thanks for the advice, as well. I'll switch around the order of my budget - which might help as I've spent a good chunk of the morning trying to figure out why I have $100 more than I thought I would. Also looking into my YNAB demo (which I downloaded but didn't boot up yet) would also probably help, since PNC's Virtual Wallet machine has a delay that confounds me and regularly ends up with me adding more to my credit card than I thought.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

To bounce off dreesemonkey's comment about paying yourself before the fun stuff, my only caution would be that having a big, catch-all account might seem simple, but it's also a bit too easy to rape it without noticing. "Oh, I need $20 extra for this thing here and I can get it a week early because I have $5000 sitting in emergency+vacation+stuff and $20 is 'nothing'" is what leads to credit cards and no vacations.

Instead, start with some estimates: Driving or flying? What are the current daily ticket prices? How much do you think you'll eat/drink in the park per day? If you'll be at a hotel, find some median prices online now. How much will you spend on souvenirs and/or gifts? Will you go out to eat each night? Get a total and see if it matches what people are saying online. Add 5-20%, divide by five, and that's how much you need to save for each of the next five months.

Budget that amount into "vacation", and drop the rest in the emergency or capital expense fund. Check the personal finance thread for suggestions about better utility for the remaining money past your six-months' emergency fund (CDs, money markets, bonds, Roth, etc.)

Before my "throw all my money in a bin" plan, I got a little nervous especially as I started researching my November trip to Disney. I've never been there, and have no real idea how much I'll be eating/drinking out aside from maybe Drinking Around the World in Epcot. I've calculated the cost of park tickets ($160) and airfare ($336), but beyond that, I'm sort of floundering. My friend is footing the majority of the hotel bill, and has asked for $300 for it, with more appreciated but not necessary. Because I investigated and saw just how drat expensive the room is, I'd like to save a good deal more to give to him. I should probably just pick a number, I guess.

But all of that is extremely helpful. I'm extremely new at doing anything beyond paying my bills and being :shrug: with the rest, but I'll definitely do some research and see what I turn up with. I'll report back when I have something. :)

One last thing - I have a Cash Back credit card, so most of the time I want to put purchases on that so I can slowly accumulate "free" money. However, given that I can't pay off the balance until it's posted on the card (sometimes days later), I end up losing track of what I spent when and when I turn around I've got almost $300 on my card that I barely remember spending. I don't know if YNAB would help with that, and/or I'm just an idiot when it comes to money.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Can this still be the monthly, "I stuck to/was under my budget :smug:" or the "I on a spending spree and went way over budget :cry:" thread? I really enjoyed seeing other people's budgets and whether or not they stuck to them.

Yeah, I went a solid month and then for some reason my wife and I fell off the wagon. Thankfully she got an unexpected bonus a couple months ago that puts us where I expected to be.

What's the wiggle room in your budget? Some of your other posts make it sound like you went on a financial crash-diet - which is about as successful as a food crash-diet.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

morcant posted:

Before my "throw all my money in a bin" plan, I got a little nervous especially as I started researching my November trip to Disney. I've never been there, and have no real idea how much I'll be eating/drinking out aside from maybe Drinking Around the World in Epcot. I've calculated the cost of park tickets ($160) and airfare ($336), but beyond that, I'm sort of floundering. My friend is footing the majority of the hotel bill, and has asked for $300 for it, with more appreciated but not necessary. Because I investigated and saw just how drat expensive the room is, I'd like to save a good deal more to give to him. I should probably just pick a number, I guess.

When I'm estimating unknown expenses, especially ones like a trip or vacation, I usually build out a reasonable minimum estimate using the major ticket items, and then just adding 50-100% of that cost on to it. So if you're already on the hook for $800 in major travel expenses, you're actually probably looking at about $1200-1600 in total with all other stuff included. I always figure if you overbudget and underspend, you'll never be stuck telling your friend you can't chip in as much as you'd like on the room or calculating your shared dinners out down to the penny to make sure you're within budget. Then you go in frugally, don't spend everything you've allocated, and you've got some extra savings set aside already.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

morcant posted:

Wow, that definitely sounds a lot better than my barely-functional 3G coverage through Sprint for $92/mo.

I'm coming up on the end of my contract in October, and was looking into Verizon's monthly stuff as my next provider, since Sprint's local coverage is not very good at all. I'd like to upgrade to an iPhone 5 (especially if the 5S/6/whatever drives down the price a bit), and beyond that all I really want is reliable data coverage. I've been posting a little in the Recommend Me a Phone/Plan thread, and am hoping the 5 shows up on Verizon's pay-as-you-go plan by the time my contact's up. I'll definitely take another look at Straight Talk, though, as I remember AT&T's local coverage being pretty good when I had my 3GS a couple years back.

I'm 95% sure straight talk can use verizon towers as well, but your mileage may vary depending on your location. One thing to consider is with straight talk you're either buying an unsubsidized phone up front, or bringing one with you that you already have. One downside is that you're limited to 3G speeds, I think, but personally 3G is good enough for me.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I was hoping this was allowed in the new thread as well :iiam:

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 5, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

morcant posted:

One last thing - I have a Cash Back credit card, so most of the time I want to put purchases on that so I can slowly accumulate "free" money. However, given that I can't pay off the balance until it's posted on the card (sometimes days later), I end up losing track of what I spent when and when I turn around I've got almost $300 on my card that I barely remember spending. I don't know if YNAB would help with that, and/or I'm just an idiot when it comes to money.

For me it has, it shifts your thinking from account-based to category-based.

So yeah, say I've got a $1620 credit card bill, that's now no big deal because the spending was from, say, $450 car maintenance category, $300 groceries, $600 wedding, $120 his/her/family entertainment, and $150 insurance. All the categories were either saved over months (car maintenance and wedding) and the funds have been sitting in whatever account or are recurring expenses and they renew each paycheque or month.

I just have a calendar update telling me to make sure my chequing balance = my monthly statement balance like a week before the bill comes out, and I have the CC company draw the full amount automatically each month. It has resolved 100% of the stress associated with using a credit card.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Shadowhand00 posted:

OP - you may also want to add the 4 rules of YNAB into the OP as well as the webinars they have available...

And Part Two (of Two):

Luca Pacioli, in Summa de Arithmetica, Geometria, Proportioni et Proportionalità (1494), contains the first codification of double-entry accounting, titled Particularis de Computis et Scripturis. While the audience was primarily merchants, it contains discussions of: Credits, debits, cash, capital, inventories, journals, ledgers, what we now call savings and checking accounts, loans, household expenses, keeping receipts and (bank) statements, how to keep a (running/checkbook) balance, and retention of records. Many of the discussions are pertinent to keeping records for the sake of budgets, but it's more of a general expectation than a specific chapter.

Oeconomicus (c. 362 BCE), by Xenophon of Athens, starts with a dialogue about the economics of household management, and makes the following points:
  1. "Economy" is a science (requiring knowledge, artistry, experience, observation, and talent).
  2. "Wealth" is the collection of useful possessions. Items that you can't/don't/won't use are only useful if you can sell them, and money may not be 'wealth' if you know not how to use it.
  3. Some people have knowledge and possessions, but not "wealth", as they are: Idle, reckless, negligent, frivolous, intemperance, slaves to food, drink, luxury, and profitless associations. :buddy:
  4. Property and possessions are "sufficient" if they fulfill needs. An estate has duties in proportion to its worth. Larger estates have more duties and responsibilities to friends, relatives, hired hands (slaves, workers, farmers, crew, etc.), and the state (charitable giving, arts, institutions, and, yes, taxes in proportion to value).
  5. Get your information from people with first-hand experience. If you want to know how to create a surplus from little, ask a lucrative person that possesses little. If you want to run an operational household, inquire of a successful household. If you want to run a farm, learn from a profitable farm. Observe successful people if you want to be successful.
  6. Don't waste money on useless possessions (specifically, expensive, lavish houses). Having moderately-priced items that fulfill all your needs is better. An expensive, empty house is useless, compared to a moderate, furnished one.
  7. Items are not useful if they are not arranged and stored properly. To modernize the example, one might claim the following items as useless for their intended purpose/value: Hammers that you can't find, the finest towels that have been used to soak up an oil spill in the garage, a collection of dishes sitting dirty in the dishwasher, or even a trash can that is full because no one has taken out the bag of garbage.
  8. A functioning household (from an economic perspective) requires consistent goals. If your kids are stealing money from the "Grocery jar", you can't buy groceries.
  9. If you wish to be profitable at something, it becomes a topic of study (as opposed to enjoyment). If you want to be part of a couple that practices economy, and your partner doesn't know how to budget money, you have to teach them. (There are allusions in the text not just to dealing with money, but possessions, the balance of chores/duties, and dealing with the care of the household during times of sickness.)
  10. There is a rather lengthy conversation about giving back to the public and the state, in the sense that property should contain trees, grass, crops, and so forth, as can be reasonably planted and tended, both for the pleasing appearance and to provide food in times of need, for example. (Random thought: Large plots of grass, within city limits but on personal property, may be reasonable donations for a community garden. We have these in this city. I don't know how they came to be, who paid/pays for them, or what the tax advantages might be.) There are also pages explaining how gardening (husbandry) is worthy of study, because it not only teaches you how to grow things, but how to learn, how to pay attention, adhere to a schedule, exercise care and maintenance, and so forth. The same could be said to apply to raising stock, rearing horses, etc.
  11. Be happy with your lot and use what you have to advantage.
  12. There is also a rather lengthy conversation about the choosing of a partner and the aforementioned sharing of property, possessions, and money; dividing of duties, chores, and household maintenance; creating an inventory, and having organization for storage of possessions. (I include this here, in a budgeting thread, because your partner buying more crackers might be wasteful if you still have the three boxes you bought last week sitting in your car instead of the pantry.)
  13. True knowledge, wisdom, power, and wealth, are learned by being engaged in the tasks, learning from others, being an overseer, and so forth. (Actually, he bitch slaps his wife for wearing an excess of makeup, and suggests that she be honest in all things, including teaching what you know and learning what you don't.)
  14. Take care of your possessions and your body. Be efficient with your time. Walking to work or a nearby grocery may save on fuel or bus fare and get you more exercise.

Perhaps I should consolidate that to a few buzzwords and call it Xenophinance, but mantras really aren't my thing. I proffer that effective budgeting seems as much about proper and efficient use of money as it is about keeping records.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

And Part Two (of Two):

Luca Pacioli, in Summa de Arithmetica, Geometria, Proportioni et Proportionalità (1494), contains the first codification of double-entry accounting, titled Particularis de Computis et Scripturis. While the audience was primarily merchants, it contains discussions of: Credits, debits, cash, capital, inventories, journals, ledgers, what we now call savings and checking accounts, loans, household expenses, keeping receipts and (bank) statements, how to keep a (running/checkbook) balance, and retention of records. Many of the discussions are pertinent to keeping records for the sake of budgets, but it's more of a general expectation than a specific chapter.

Oeconomicus (c. 362 BCE), by Xenophon of Athens, starts with a dialogue about the economics of household management, and makes the following points:
  1. "Economy" is a science (requiring knowledge, artistry, experience, observation, and talent).
  2. "Wealth" is the collection of useful possessions. Items that you can't/don't/won't use are only useful if you can sell them, and money may not be 'wealth' if you know not how to use it.
  3. Some people have knowledge and possessions, but not "wealth", as they are: Idle, reckless, negligent, frivolous, intemperance, slaves to food, drink, luxury, and profitless associations. :buddy:
  4. Property and possessions are "sufficient" if they fulfill needs. An estate has duties in proportion to its worth. Larger estates have more duties and responsibilities to friends, relatives, hired hands (slaves, workers, farmers, crew, etc.), and the state (charitable giving, arts, institutions, and, yes, taxes in proportion to value).
  5. Get your information from people with first-hand experience. If you want to know how to create a surplus from little, ask a lucrative person that possesses little. If you want to run an operational household, inquire of a successful household. If you want to run a farm, learn from a profitable farm. Observe successful people if you want to be successful.
  6. Don't waste money on useless possessions (specifically, expensive, lavish houses). Having moderately-priced items that fulfill all your needs is better. An expensive, empty house is useless, compared to a moderate, furnished one.
  7. Items are not useful if they are not arranged and stored properly. To modernize the example, one might claim the following items as useless for their intended purpose/value: Hammers that you can't find, the finest towels that have been used to soak up an oil spill in the garage, a collection of dishes sitting dirty in the dishwasher, or even a trash can that is full because no one has taken out the bag of garbage.
  8. A functioning household (from an economic perspective) requires consistent goals. If your kids are stealing money from the "Grocery jar", you can't buy groceries.
  9. If you wish to be profitable at something, it becomes a topic of study (as opposed to enjoyment). If you want to be part of a couple that practices economy, and your partner doesn't know how to budget money, you have to teach them. (There are allusions in the text not just to dealing with money, but possessions, the balance of chores/duties, and dealing with the care of the household during times of sickness.)
  10. There is a rather lengthy conversation about giving back to the public and the state, in the sense that property should contain trees, grass, crops, and so forth, as can be reasonably planted and tended, both for the pleasing appearance and to provide food in times of need, for example. (Random thought: Large plots of grass, within city limits but on personal property, may be reasonable donations for a community garden. We have these in this city. I don't know how they came to be, who paid/pays for them, or what the tax advantages might be.) There are also pages explaining how gardening (husbandry) is worthy of study, because it not only teaches you how to grow things, but how to learn, how to pay attention, adhere to a schedule, exercise care and maintenance, and so forth. The same could be said to apply to raising stock, rearing horses, etc.
  11. Be happy with your lot and use what you have to advantage.
  12. There is also a rather lengthy conversation about the choosing of a partner and the aforementioned sharing of property, possessions, and money; dividing of duties, chores, and household maintenance; creating an inventory, and having organization for storage of possessions. (I include this here, in a budgeting thread, because your partner buying more crackers might be wasteful if you still have the three boxes you bought last week sitting in your car instead of the pantry.)
  13. True knowledge, wisdom, power, and wealth, are learned by being engaged in the tasks, learning from others, being an overseer, and so forth. (Actually, he bitch slaps his wife for wearing an excess of makeup, and suggests that she be honest in all things, including teaching what you know and learning what you don't.)
  14. Take care of your possessions and your body. Be efficient with your time. Walking to work or a nearby grocery may save on fuel or bus fare and get you more exercise.

Perhaps I should consolidate that to a few buzzwords and call it Xenophinance, but mantras really aren't my thing. I proffer that effective budgeting seems as much about proper and efficient use of money as it is about keeping records.

I'm actually really enjoying reading through these things.

I agree with you - a mantra or process being repeated about budgeting is no use unless the person reading the process or mantra understands the framework of what they're trying to implement. in this case, effective budgeting seems to be a combination of a few things - efficient use of money, clear record keeping, and finally, discipline to be responsible with your money. The last seems to be the most important. I've been budgeting for a while now and I've been doing well in making sure I don't spend outside of my means, but I'm definitely guilty of frivolous spending from time to time. The framework and process helps keep me in place though and brings me back when I do spend frivolously outside my budget.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm actually really enjoying reading through these things.... efficient use of money, clear record keeping, and finally, discipline to be responsible with your money.
You'd be the only one! :downsrim: Feel free to read the primary sources and disagree with my summaries, but I did feel it better to post the walls of text in an attempt to clarify some of the authors' intents per seriatim. I think the discipline part is difficult for most people. All they have to do is find some structure and process where they constantly hear their mother's voice in their heads: "Now Phantom, if you buy that you won't have any money left when we go out for ice cream"; or their father's voice in their heads: "You waste your money on that and I'll beat you with it."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

1. There is a rather lengthy conversation about giving back to the public and the state, in the sense that property should contain trees, grass, crops, and so forth, as can be reasonably planted and tended, both for the pleasing appearance and to provide food in times of need, for example. (Random thought: Large plots of grass, within city limits but on personal property, may be reasonable donations for a community garden. We have these in this city. I don't know how they came to be, who paid/pays for them, or what the tax advantages might be.) There are also pages explaining how gardening (husbandry) is worthy of study, because it not only teaches you how to grow things, but how to learn, how to pay attention, adhere to a schedule, exercise care and maintenance, and so forth. The same could be said to apply to raising stock, rearing horses, etc.

I'm moving to Edmonton soon and I've discovered there's a CSA there that does this. It seems brilliant and they don't have any shares left but I'm going to volunteer with them and do some gardening when I get there. I mean, it's free education and socialization!

These seem to be taking hold in a few places:

http://www.backyardcsa.com/
http://cultivatetoronto.com/join-the-harvest/share-your-yard/

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

You'd be the only one! :downsrim: Feel free to read the primary sources and disagree with my summaries, but I did feel it better to post the walls of text in an attempt to clarify some of the authors' intents per seriatim. I think the discipline part is difficult for most people. All they have to do is find some structure and process where they constantly hear their mother's voice in their heads: "Now Phantom, if you buy that you won't have any money left when we go out for ice cream"; or their father's voice in their heads: "You waste your money on that and I'll beat you with it."

You're telling me. I have a ring fund going right now but its extremely tempting to borrow from my ring fund to fund "fun! right now!" stuff. Takes a bit more discipline than I seem to have right now.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010
As a recent college graduate, this is definitely becoming a frequented bookmark (even though I should already have taught myself to budget).

Thanks for the post -- with the help, I may be able to afford to gingerly kick the real world life once (maybe twice...but I don't want to risk it).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from another thread I post in in this subforum...

Mint doesn't seem to be pulling info from one of our accounts because the card number changed and we didn't fix it for a couple of weeks.

Now it's just missing that couple of weeks of transactions instead of refreshing with all of them. What's the easiest way to fix this? Just enter them all manually?

It's only like a dozen transactions.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I would manually enter them. Does Mint have the ability to reconcile after the fact? That might help in ensuring you captured all of your items.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just bumping to say that tossing the cards in the freezer really has worked. The first few days at work were tough. The clock would strike 12:00 and my brain would suddenly start going over what I was going to buy to eat that day, then I would remember that I didn't have my credit card. So I walked to the fridge, begrudgingly grabbed and apple and carried on. Today I look forward to getting an apple, carrots or a sandwich packed from home.

I'm starting to realize there really isn't a need for me to carry money around (plastic or cash) on a daily basis for any reason. When I need gas I'll go to the bank with my drivers license. If there's an emergency and for some reason I really need money I'll just go to a bank with my drivers license. I pass by my bank 3-4 times on the way home each day and my wife is always just a phonecall away.

Engineer Lenk posted:

What's the wiggle room in your budget? Some of your other posts make it sound like you went on a financial crash-diet - which is about as successful as a food crash-diet.

Yeah I gave that impression before and put some wiggle room in my current budget. If I don't meet my budget I still save quite a bit and we're happy whether we meet our budget or not, I would just rather meet my budget and save a little more each month.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 12, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Is there any way to budget for large one time purchases in Mint? I've been experimenting with their budget features for the last month or so and mostly have everything categorized and working smoothly now.

But, it seems like if I make the rare big purchase here and there, like a new computer or something, my budget for the month is going to be very skewed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There are basically two ways to handle non-standard budgeting in Mint.

1) You can set up a budget category that is intended for a non-monthly purchase. So, for instance, my budget includes a 'seasonal spending' category that comes up twice a year. This is to account for when we switch from warm to cold weather (or vice versa) and discover that we need to get something because moths ate a wool coat/sheets are looking threadbare/etc. What this does in Mint is set aside 1/6 of that budget amount each month, and then has it available to spend in the scheduled month.

2) If you are talking about a totally one-off purchase, you can use the 'goal' function to account for this. Basically you can play with how much you want to contribute vs. your timeframe and establish a goal payment (say, $50 a month to buy a new computer until you reach $800 or whatever). That goal payment then becomes part of your budget each month until the goal is met. It works best if you connect it to a specific account, but that is more applicable to larger/longer goals like retirement or emergency funds, because it's not like you are going to open a separate savings account for your computer money.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Looks like I have an opportunity coming up to shave $300 bucks or so off of my housing budget as we may be moving to a smaller home (probably 1200sqft instead of 1600) so I assume our utilities will decrease a bit as well. Things are going great this month. My card is still frozen and I'm still munching on healthy food I've prepared from home every day at work.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Ashcans posted:

There are basically two ways to handle non-standard budgeting in Mint.

1) You can set up a budget category that is intended for a non-monthly purchase. So, for instance, my budget includes a 'seasonal spending' category that comes up twice a year. This is to account for when we switch from warm to cold weather (or vice versa) and discover that we need to get something because moths ate a wool coat/sheets are looking threadbare/etc. What this does in Mint is set aside 1/6 of that budget amount each month, and then has it available to spend in the scheduled month.

2) If you are talking about a totally one-off purchase, you can use the 'goal' function to account for this. Basically you can play with how much you want to contribute vs. your timeframe and establish a goal payment (say, $50 a month to buy a new computer until you reach $800 or whatever). That goal payment then becomes part of your budget each month until the goal is met. It works best if you connect it to a specific account, but that is more applicable to larger/longer goals like retirement or emergency funds, because it's not like you are going to open a separate savings account for your computer money.

Thanks! I like your idea of setting up categories like your seasonal spending category. One question, where is the Goal feature in Mint? I actually didn't realize it had such a feature, and exploring around the UI hasn't revealed anything to me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Looks like I have an opportunity coming up to shave $300 bucks or so off of my housing budget as we may be moving to a smaller home (probably 1200sqft instead of 1600) so I assume our utilities will decrease a bit as well. Things are going great this month. My card is still frozen and I'm still munching on healthy food I've prepared from home every day at work.

Congrats, act quickly and automatically save that poo poo away or send it to debt before you even notice it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

DarkJC posted:

Thanks! I like your idea of setting up categories like your seasonal spending category. One question, where is the Goal feature in Mint? I actually didn't realize it had such a feature, and exploring around the UI hasn't revealed anything to me.

There is a series of categories across the top (Overview, Transactions, Budget, Goals, Trends, Investments). It should be pretty obvious! Not sure if you are using a mobile device or something that might force you to scroll over to see it. Most of Mint happens in the overview/transactions/budget screens.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Weird! All I see is

Maybe it has something to do with me using Canadian banks? In any case, I'll contact Mint support and see what they have to say. Thanks again.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I just took a look on the Mint forums and apparently it is something that hasn't been implemented for Canadian users yet? I have no idea why that would be the case, very strange.

You could try manually changing the URL once you are logged in? I have it as https://wwws.mint.com/goal.event; see if that works!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

I just took a look on the Mint forums and apparently it is something that hasn't been implemented for Canadian users yet? I have no idea why that would be the case, very strange.

You could try manually changing the URL once you are logged in? I have it as https://wwws.mint.com/goal.event; see if that works!

Mint posted:

Goal is not available
in Canada at this time.

Damnit! Sounds like a great feature, too.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Two weeks ago, I started messing around with the YNAB demo, and it worked great for me - up until I was like "Eh gently caress it" and didn't track when I got $10 cash to buy a DLC game with my credit card for $7. That, combined one or two other minor hiccups has tossed me about $30 I can't match up with the amount on online banking, and it's driving me a little crazy.

I really like YNAB, and have thoroughly learned my lesson to log everything, because I just spent my whole lunch hour trying to figure this out, and then setting up a brand new budget. Since I've only been using it two weeks is that the way to go in this case? Burn it down and start over?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

morcant posted:

Two weeks ago, I started messing around with the YNAB demo, and it worked great for me - up until I was like "Eh gently caress it" and didn't track when I got $10 cash to buy a DLC game with my credit card for $7. That, combined one or two other minor hiccups has tossed me about $30 I can't match up with the amount on online banking, and it's driving me a little crazy.

I really like YNAB, and have thoroughly learned my lesson to log everything, because I just spent my whole lunch hour trying to figure this out, and then setting up a brand new budget. Since I've only been using it two weeks is that the way to go in this case? Burn it down and start over?

Yeah, burning it down and starting over is the best way to do it. My initial run through, I tried setting up my budget similar to how Mint is sset up - this screwed up the way YNAB is set up and I had to reset a few times.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Reconcile!

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/how-to-reconcile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, do this regularly so that when you find a discrepancy you aren't going back to the beginning of time (budget wise) to resolve it.

Still, it can be a pain in the rear end because of differences on credit/debit cards between when the purchase was made, when it cleared, and which date the bank records as the transaction date.

• Locked thread