Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Look at all that whitespace. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Look at all that whitespace. :stare:

Yes, I have a long way to my goals but can't wait to make progress on them.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Ornithology posted:

If you're referring to my post, my salary fits neatly into the (minimum) 15% tax bracket for 46k income and below.

Thanks for the other considerations everyone else, I'm taking them into account and will see which I can do about finding somewhere with cheaper rent.

Just caught up on this thread, and I hope it's not too late, but you forgot provincial income tax. Add another 5.05% for the first ~42k, and 9.15% for the bit after that.
Should've listened to KYOON...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TraderStav posted:

Yes, I have a long way to my goals but can't wait to make progress on them.

How do you spend almost $1,000 on groceries monthly

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

my summer at fat camp posted:

Have three children. $200/person isn't outlandish. I think $150/person is a good target.

We also eat a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

About $200 at a time, usually.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah my dad would spend that routinely and with two teenage boys and a teenage girl, yeah we ate a lot.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, I've been lurking hard because I need to get a hold of my budget.

Monthly Income: 4838

Expenses:
Rent: 625 but going to 800 next month as we move with a potential month of overlap.
Utilities: 250
Internet:60
TV: $55( I might cut this out)
Cell: Varies but seems to hover at $60
Eating out/Bars: 755 ( I need to get this under control, but this is basically spending for two people, it's still outrageous)
Groceries: $500
Student Loan $50
Credit consolidation loan: 308 (This was a giant mistake to take out, I had $10k of an old credit card that turned into a court judgement, that I couldn't get a hold of the people who owned the debt, not that I was looking for them. They finally found me and I settled for 50% but had already applied for and gotten the loan just in case I got hit with the full amount) it has $1000 left and I haven't hit the first month I might pay it off right now.
Other Expenses:
ACLU: $100 I am cancelling this, it was a drunken reaction to Muslim Ban
VPS: $5
Other VPS: $8
Allowance to my sister: $150
Shopping? Averaging $700 a month over the last 3 months, but last month included a new laptop. This tends to be a mix of splurges for me and household related items.

Credit card 1 1300 at 0%
Credit card 2 2800 at 20% with 6 months interest free on new purchases. Right now that's $550 of the total.
I usually pay this off in full, but I shifted money around to pay off the debt right now, as well as buying $1000 of non recurring purchases on it.

Credit consolidation loan 1000 at 12%

So basically I am at break even most months, have out of control spending eating out, and tend to pay for 2 people a lot because my gf makes half of what I do and is also in grad school. She's in theoretical debt to me to the tune of $3k but I know I'll never see the money and to her credit the majority(aka all) of the cooking in the household is done by her. She should also be getting a raise soon which should also hopefully even out our spending.

I also don't think she gets how much we spend so I am trying to shift as much of the joint expenses as possible onto a shared account, and it's somewhat working, but she also thinks I'm stealing all her money.

Goals save $2k a month, cut eating out down. Shift expenses onto shared account so that getting buy into reigning in spending is easier as well as split between us. I don't think my girlfriend gets how much I just take care of.

Edit: Cash on hand $4400 with rent already taken out. I keep this somewhat high as I work at a startup and am always terrified that for one reason or another we'll miss payroll. Ideally I'd like to keep 5k on hand, paydown all my debit and increase that to $10k and invest the rest.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 2, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Punkbob posted:

Monthly Income: 4838
Expenses:
Rent: 800
Utilities: 250
Internet: 60
Cell: 60
Eating out/Bars: 755 you can't afford to eat and drink like this.
Groceries: 500
Student Loan: 50
Credit consolidation loan: 308
VPS: 5
Other VPS: 8
Allowance to my sister: 150 If she is doing all the cooking this is pretty reasonable
Shopping? Averaging 700 a month over the last 3 months, but last month included a new laptop. This tends to be a mix of splurges for me and household related items. You absolutely cannot afford to be spending like this.
I've taken out your ACLU and the television subscription you can't afford, leaving you with - $2000 a month but it sounds like you're going into debt every month. Tell us where the rest of your money is going.

Credit card 1 1300 at 0%
I hope this is your balance and not your payment.
Credit card 2 2800 at 20% with 6 months interest free on new purchases. Right now that's $550 of the total.
Pay this off first and then cut it up.
I usually pay this off in full, but I shifted money around to pay off the debt right now, as well as buying $1000 of non recurring purchases on it.

Credit consolidation loan 1000 at 12%
Is this a second credit consolidation loan?

Your budget doesn't contain any line item for transit, which makes me worry you're not taking the "looking at expenses" aspect of this seriously. Do you have any subscriptions? These are monthly, recurring expenses. Any savings for medical/dental expenses? Even $20 a month will cover your copays. No pets? No savings for gifts or special occasions? It looks like you've - on a lark - donated to "charitable" causes in the past, but you could also budget for this. We need a clearer picture.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I should clarify, my first post was somewhat confusing because I was trying to pull data from mint, and type it all up using my iPad.

I took out one credit consolidation loan at $6500 when a law firm that held old credit card debit(in the form of a court order) of mine popped out of the blue asking for 10k. I then negotiated that down to 50% of the total, but had already taken out the loan because I was scared shitless of wage garnishment. I basically hosed off from a good job in my early 20s and was super poor for awhile because I thought I was going to "save the world". This is my last debt from that time period.

It's at 12% APR, and I've repaid $5500 of the $6500 principal, before the first payment is due. I have $1000 left on the loan. In hindsight I had the money to just pay the negotiated total outright and sort of hosed myself over.

Credit Card 1 is a balance that I have been paying down in fits and spurts from a high of $4k that was mostly related to a trip to Europe for christmas. Half of that was "supposed" to be repaid back to me by my gf, but she's broke so I have been letting it slide. It is at 0% APR til September

Credit Card 2 with the $2800 balance is my daily driver rewards card, that I need to get rid of but basically got me two free flights. My entire purpose with that card was to pay it off in full every month, but the sudden appearance of the old debt left me putting more and more on it, without being able to pay it off like I normally would. Besides rent and Utilities I put drat near everything on this card to get "points" but I shouldn't of. I was BWM by not putting more on the 0% APR card, and I am debating just paying the $2200 balance from last month out of my emergency savings, but like I said I am paranoid with having cash on hand of less then 3k or so. Going forward this is at 0% APR on new purchases for 6 months. I am planning to dump it however before I get hit with the annual fee next September.

Transit Chat: I work from home 3-4 days a week, and currently live 10 Blocks from my office. I do not have a car, and if I am going to work I walk or bike. I am moving though this month to a place slightly farther away that will turn my 20 min walk into a 30 min one. So my transit cost really is near 0. My girlfriend does have a car, that her parents pay for, and I fill it with gas once a month. I try to make a point of not using it as it is not my car, but will help out paying for oil changes and stuff. When we get engaged I might insist on buying it or at the very least paying the insurance.

If we had to throw it on as a line item it's $50 or so.

Edit: Allowance to my sister: Until about two years ago I was having issues finding steady work. So I crashed at my parents rent free. As of October of this year my parents have hit a rough patch. They asked me to help my sister who is at college out a bit a month for expenses to ease the burden on them. So I give her $150 a month while she's in school.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

No fancy graphs, figured I'd share my starting budget for the month of April, then will have something to compare against at the end. Will figure out how to make it all fancy in the graphs so you can see actual/budgeted in one shot!

April
Income: $6,149.36
Emergency Fund Contribution: $533.53 (effective targeted savings rate for month: 8.7%)

Fixed Expenses: $2,791.21
Mortgage: $1,547.97
Gas (Auto): $300
Car Lease: $256.68 (Paid for out of wife's side business income, not shown in above income)
Utilities: $213.30 (normally higher, but water bill this month came in and was able to release saved funds as it was lower)
Car Insurance: $172.33 (Just renewed, my six month premium went down $300!)
Fitness: $189.98
Internet & Media: $70.95
Cellular: $40

Variable Expenses: $2,120.00
Groceries: $950
Beer, Wine, and Booze: $50
Children's Stuff: $150 (Kids are on spring break this week, will see a high amount of activities spend this month)
Clothing: $100
Dining Out: $200
Entertainment: $100
Giving: $0
Gifts: $150 (Wedding shower gift for niece and random kids friends birthdays)
Household: $100
Personal Care: $100
Pet: $220 (Heavy month, not normally this high. Vet visit, quarterly cat litter shipment, then $100 for food)

Irregular Expenses: $919.95
Auto Maintenance: $200 ($169 for Car registration, both cars are 2016s so don't have a lot of maintenance at this point)
Home Maintenance: $100
Medical: $75
Haircuts: $90
His Blow $: $100
Hers Blow $: $75
Special Events: $150 (Son's birthday party)
Media: Books, Music, Apps, etc: $30
Sports and Rec: $0 (Nothing this month, bi-monthly fees for twins' martial arts program)
Tech Hardware: $99.95 (this may get refunded, playing around with the VPN for privacy thanks to new government bill, can't get Netflix to work if loaded on router and not sure I want to dick around with half-measure solutions)

Travel Hacking: $47.15
Annual Credit Card Fees: $99
Manufactured Spend: -$51.85 (transferring to cover part of annual fee, need to generate more cash back to fully cover. Activity in a lull thanks to an obstacle)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Here's my budget, roughly, on a monthly basis:

$8,779 post-tax take home pay

Fixed Deductions Before Expenses
$62.96 - Medical and Dental Insurance
$1,500 - 401k Contribution
$458.33 - IRA Contribution
total $2021.29

Fixed Expenses
$2,500 - Rent
$150 - Gas and Electric
$122 - Cable and Internet
$35 - Subscriptions (Netflix, Amazon Prime, MLB.tv, NHL Center Ice)
$180 - Car and Renter's Insurance
$75 - Gas
total $3062

Variable expenses
$350 - Groceries & booze in home
$450 - Eating out, entertainment, etc
$200 - Clothing
total $950

Savings and Other Contributions
$2,000 - House down payment fund
$500 - Taxable brokerage
total $2,500

Grand total $8536, savings rate 50.7% heck yes

Leaves about $250/mo left over which pretty much goes to non budgeted categories (presents for birthdays, car maintenance expenses, vacation money, etc). To be honest I really don't break down variable at all and just treat it as a roughly $1,300/mo pile of money to feed clothe and otherwise entertain myself. I should start tracking the variable side a bit more going forward against these numbers.

I don't really keep much of a cushion in my monthly budget because a lot of big stuff like vacations gets funded out of my annual bonus, which represents roughly 30% of my total comp. The above doesn't account for bonus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 3, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
One of the best reasons to plan for variable expenses is because they are... variable. The challenge is thus having the funds available, but also to maintain some semblance of moderation and personal control in spending.

The extremes are given in the two previous approaches, either a lump sum plan it having to flop around stuff every four weeks as you changing your mind about how to waste your money. There is, fortunately, a very convenient way to achieve this with percentage budgeting and saving ahead in individual categories. See the first few pages of the thread.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The extremes are given in the two previous approaches, either a lump sum plan it having to flop around stuff every four weeks as you changing your mind about how to waste your money. There is, fortunately, a very convenient way to achieve this with percentage budgeting and saving ahead in individual categories. See the first few pages of the thread.

I don't think Kyoon was specifically asking for advice on this point, and while you're right that many of us can and do choose to budget for this, I'm sure his way works fine and takes less agony than does my micromanaging "entertainment" to < 0.5% of PTPRTHP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah basically what i am doing is allocating a big chunk of money and making sure that i don't stray outside of it. if it's a big purchase i fund it from elsewhere. i will be tracking my variable spending in a bit more detail to see how it actually ends up but if i look back on it i'm usually spending well under that in a month

i am extremely not down with tracking things on a highly specific line basis with an allocation against it. if you want to be, as the dutch so eloquently put it, an "ant fucker" more power to you, but i really haven't seen the need yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

While we're sharing approaches. I used to do my best to get every category at my estimated annual spend / 12 and funded every month, preferably months in advance to smooth it out. I didn't have enough cash flow and it just drove me crazy and stressed us out feeling like we never had any money.

This year, my wife and I changed our approach to a more reasonable one for us. Each month we look at the known upcoming expenses and then budget for that, and sweep every category empty (with a few exceptions, like Car Insurance, quarterly utilities bills, and categories we fully funded with bonus/taxes like Vacations, Home Projects, Kids Travel Soccer, etc) every month and plow the rest into our emergency fund/savings. This is working so far this year and that fund is growing. The idea is to get it to one months income and that should weather any storm will have.

So our budgeted amounts by category will be different every month, but hover around the same number except for the one-offs.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah basically what i am doing is allocating a big chunk of money and making sure that i don't stray outside of it. if it's a big purchase i fund it from elsewhere. i will be tracking my variable spending in a bit more detail to see how it actually ends up but if i look back on it i'm usually spending well under that in a month

i am extremely not down with tracking things on a highly specific line basis with an allocation against it. if you want to be, as the dutch so eloquently put it, an "ant fucker" more power to you, but i really haven't seen the need yet.

So I gently caress ants :shrug:

I really like this expression, actually, but part of it is that we were bad spenders for a long time and have a huge potential for consumption creep so having a really clear budget even for the "small stuff" helps out in our house immensely. I would not recommend it for everyone, certainly not people who are 1) high earning, 2) pay themselves first and 3) have no problem with consumption or debt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you're cool, it was more the other guy

ant fucker is such a great expression, please use it all the time. I'm fairly frugal and don't have much opportunity for scope creep in spending so a lump sum works pretty well for me.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
You guys planning on keeping a strict budget forever? Or is there a post-budget state that you can graduate into? I can't handle it for more than a few months so more power to you if you can do it for 40 years. The only thing we keep track of now is my wife's clothing allowance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're cool, it was more the other guy

ant fucker is such a great expression, please use it all the time. I'm fairly frugal and don't have much opportunity for scope creep in spending so a lump sum works pretty well for me.

Moi? If anything I'm moving mode toward your approach while tracking the individuals so I have an idea of consumption creep. We're not carrying category balances forward each month like we used to which turned into a game of shuffle the deck every time there was an inevitable overage in one and surplus in the other. I like the idea of a big slug of cash that plugs holes wherever they are, less stress. This is now possible due to the cash flow I freed up this month. Can't wait for my pay raise to hit tomorrow that is pure savings.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well yes, I'm forecasting that I can enter a post-budget state at some point, though it's difficult to predict exactly when. Statistically I think it will be a little longer for my wife to get there.

I'm talking about death

I think budgeting is always wise, but you can be more or less intense depending on your habits and situation. We aren't as thorough now as when we were living closer to the edge. I'm not sure there is a point where you should stop though, because many people se able to inflate their spending to match any income. You should always keep track and make sure you're not digging yourself a hole and are on track for any goals.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

potatoducks posted:

You guys planning on keeping a strict budget forever?

Yes but it's not like an unpleasant state to occupy - I can still go out and splurge like anyone else but ultimately I know when we shouldn't. It's just a way to keep ourselves pointed toward our short-term goals, our intermediate goals and our long-term goals.

Like this might sound insane but we have talked about the possibility of retiring outside the United States. To be able to do that we will need a really clear plan for our finances. It's not like I don't buy the occasional iced coffee at work (especially when I'm feeling prosperous), but knowing that I shouldn't be spending more than $X a month on "treats" gives me a compass so I don't let my inflated feeling of prosperity carry me away from the goal of having however much money in the bank we'll need to retire comfortably and be able to travel back and forth without drama.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Moi? If anything I'm moving mode toward your approach while tracking the individuals so I have an idea of consumption creep. We're not carrying category balances forward each month like we used to which turned into a game of shuffle the deck every time there was an inevitable overage in one and surplus in the other. I like the idea of a big slug of cash that plugs holes wherever they are, less stress. This is now possible due to the cash flow I freed up this month. Can't wait for my pay raise to hit tomorrow that is pure savings.

yeah, nah, it's the other, other guy (phantomofthecopier). I have very sufficient cash to cover any emergencies and don't really have to worry about cashflow right now due to relatively high income. I also don't really change what I buy from month to month so that helps with a lot of issues, plus all my vacations are relatively free so that's another reduction in variability.

Tracking down to the absolute line level is important if you're clawing your way out of debt but if you have good habits built and enough money it isn't that important.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Got it. I'm not at the beginning. I'm not at the end. But I'm at the beginning of the end.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hope I can improve, Went on a vacation recently, and spent about € 3000 total on the whole trip. including flight tickets and the 3 week air bnb's

This is what I plan for
Net income € 2.371,00

Fixed expenses € 643,39
Medical insurance € 87,50
Pension contribution € 59,00 * Company I work for matches this
Rent and utilities € 400,00
Travel insurance € 1,90
Phone plan € 45,00
Internet € 40,00
Netflix € 9,99

Irregular Expenses € 650,00 This is what i budget. Sometimes it's higher, sometimes it's lower
Groceries € 250,00
Eating out € 100,00
Gadgets, video games € 200,00
clothes € 100,00

*Buying a new bike this month as the old one has died. €640,

Savings
Saving account € 1.000,00 Currently have € 9000 in my savings account

Debt
Student loan € 5.132,00 Don't need to pay the monthly payments of €30 yet. Debating on wether or not to pay it off in one go.
the interest is 0,01 %

At the moment i'm just saving to save. I like seeing that number grow. Don't know what else to do with it

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Europe is hard for me to really understand, because if you were in the US I would tell you that you're dramatically under-saving for old age.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I have a couple of just mundane easy questions.

First one: Would 3 months be a good average for figuring out Grocery bills? Should I give it more time since we just changed how we eat?

Second question, if I know my Pet supplies budget varies on if I need to buy litter or not, do I budget for the full amount possible or just budget for food and move some money from something else if I need litter?

I've basically got a lot of my stuff down thanks to YNAB goals and general advice.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If you buy litter every other month, budget for half a litter purchase monthly.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
A three month average is a start, modify it a bit based on your recent changes, and leave a bit of buffer since food is important. If you ever have to borrow to cover food, increase your monthly food budget by that amount. You should accrue savings monthly in your food category, up until you reach your savings goal. If you find you're falling behind in reaching that savings goal, it means you're buying too much karap, or that food prices have gone up and you need to budget more.

It should be rare for a budget category to change by more than a few percent without some associated life change event.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > How to Create a Budget: ACLU: $100 I am cancelling this, it was a drunken reaction to Muslim Ban

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone feel low posting they're upper middle/lower upper class budget for family with 2 kids and a house in sf? I'm looking at what things would cost and it's pretty insane. 6k for the mortgage and 3k for the day care right now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
How are people handling annual expenses? In general they aren't that bad, but I'm trying to optimize my budget retrospective spreadsheet slightly further now that there are more than just a few $100 subs here and there. Do you make a ledger of all of them then amortize it out into a line item of "annual expenses"? We run a monthly surplus which covers this stuff, with excess swept into the general savings account periodically. There are other things in here I am probably forgetting.

For example:
Life Insurance Me - $684
Life Insurance Spouse - $304
Earthquake Insurance - $666 ( :black101: )
Personal Articles Policy - $120
TiVo - $150
Charity - $720
Trash/Sewer/etc - $365
Amazon Prime - $99
= $3,108 / 12 = $259/month?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Per category, of course. Renter's insurance, save a bit each month and identify it as such. Just as you shouldn't steal food money for toys, so also should you not steal insurance monies for bling.

Of course, every category also has its own extra to get six months ahead, and some even have 2% inflation savings.

I have a five year license renewal that I save for monthly. $1. :engleft:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, most annual or similar things I just break out over the year, so my budget has a line-item for Amazon Prime that accrues every month and is paid once a year. Granted that this can get a little dumb, especially if the annual amount is so small it vanishes in any meaningful budget. If you are consistently earning more than you budget, you can also simply put this in as a single item on the given month it comes up - so for instance, if you usually end up with some amount of money over your budget items, you can just tally 'Amazon Prime' for that month and reduce your overage that month (or if you are budgeting your complete earnings, reduce your contributions to a more flexible item). I think what exactly you do is sort of up to how you feel works best for you, as long as your answer isn't just 'ignore it and then fall out of budget regularly when these things come due'.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Per category, of course. Renter's insurance, save a bit each month and identify it as such. Just as you shouldn't steal food money for toys, so also should you not steal insurance monies for bling.

Of course, every category also has its own extra to get six months ahead, and some even have 2% inflation savings.

I have a five year license renewal that I save for monthly. $1. :engleft:

Ashcans posted:

Yea, most annual or similar things I just break out over the year, so my budget has a line-item for Amazon Prime that accrues every month and is paid once a year. Granted that this can get a little dumb, especially if the annual amount is so small it vanishes in any meaningful budget. If you are consistently earning more than you budget, you can also simply put this in as a single item on the given month it comes up - so for instance, if you usually end up with some amount of money over your budget items, you can just tally 'Amazon Prime' for that month and reduce your overage that month (or if you are budgeting your complete earnings, reduce your contributions to a more flexible item). I think what exactly you do is sort of up to how you feel works best for you, as long as your answer isn't just 'ignore it and then fall out of budget regularly when these things come due'.

Thanks, I wanted to check this was a sane approach. Given we currently don't have a budget just a cashflow spreadsheet which shows if we're spending more than we make (which includes lines for savings and all that) I won't be doing $1 accruals. I just want to get it a little closer to "true" so the monthly mystery expenses are fewer and further between. I think I will break it into two lines, necessary (insurance x 4, sewer/trash, TiVo :colbert:, crashplan ) and nice to have (charity, Amazon Prime, etc.)

One day we will get to a budget.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

H110Hawk posted:

Given we currently don't have a budget just a cashflow spreadsheet which shows if we're spending more than we make (which includes lines for savings and all that) I won't be doing $1 accruals. I just want to get it a little closer to "true" so the monthly mystery expenses are fewer and further between. I think I will break it into two lines, necessary (insurance x 4, sewer/trash, TiVo :colbert:, crashplan ) and nice to have (charity, Amazon Prime, etc.)

One day we will get to a budget.
Today is a good day! Add a new tab to your spreadsheet, put in some rows for your sources of income and how you expect to divide that income. You'll also want some rows for your category balances; everything not categorized is merely "savings". Now you can get a multi-month view of your savings goals and overall expenses. You can be as tricky as you like with spreadsheet arithmetic. Each month, insert a new column (reverse chronological will work out better in the long term), update your category balances based on spending totals, which you conveniently already have, and then decide if you're consistently overspending as a result of bad money management or because prices have gone up. You can add categories as you figure out what's most important to track.

Now if you need to plan for something three months out, you'll be able to see where the money has to be thieved!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I am creating a serious budget for the first time in ages. I don't know if I want to talk about the specific numbers on the web, and besides many of the numbers are cruel, high estimates meant to frighten me. Still, I was hoping to get another pair of eyes to make sure I hadn't missed anything glaringly obvious. These are the items I have listed:

Car Insurance
City Taxes (For whatever reason, it seems like state and fed are folded into mortgage when people do these budgets for some reason? At least, from my googling. I guess that might be because it's fairly constant and directly affects how much home you can get, while the city taxes are variable.)
Electricity
Entertainment (aka mostly eating out with friends because I am the worst)
Gasoline
Groceries
Heating Oil
Natural Gas (not honestly sure if I should have both gas and oil? I guess I thought that was correct when I made this a few days ago)
Internet
Phone
Sewer
Student Loans
Water
Work Lunches (because did I mention I am the worst)
Misc Savings (put this down as 10%, also probably dreaming).

Things I know I am not forgetting:
Mortgage / Rent Payment (this whole exercise it to find out what housing I can afford)
Car Payment (I own my car)
Credit Card Debt (I use it but pay it each month, so I am carrying no month-over-month credit card debt. Maybe I should add the monthly hit from the APR? I don't know if it applies if you pay in full. That seems like a fact worth knowing.)
Pet food (no pets)

What am I forgetting?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I am creating a serious budget for the first time in ages. I don't know if I want to talk about the specific numbers on the web, and besides many of the numbers are cruel, high estimates meant to frighten me. Still, I was hoping to get another pair of eyes to make sure I hadn't missed anything glaringly obvious. These are the items I have listed:

Car Insurance
City Taxes (For whatever reason, it seems like state and fed are folded into mortgage when people do these budgets for some reason? At least, from my googling. I guess that might be because it's fairly constant and directly affects how much home you can get, while the city taxes are variable.)
Electricity
Entertainment (aka mostly eating out with friends because I am the worst)
Gasoline
Groceries
Heating Oil
Natural Gas (not honestly sure if I should have both gas and oil? I guess I thought that was correct when I made this a few days ago)
Internet
Phone
Sewer
Student Loans
Water
Work Lunches (because did I mention I am the worst)
Misc Savings (put this down as 10%, also probably dreaming).

Things I know I am not forgetting:
Mortgage / Rent Payment (this whole exercise it to find out what housing I can afford)
Car Payment (I own my car)
Credit Card Debt (I use it but pay it each month, so I am carrying no month-over-month credit card debt. Maybe I should add the monthly hit from the APR? I don't know if it applies if you pay in full. That seems like a fact worth knowing.)
Pet food (no pets)

What am I forgetting?

Annual expenses. Do you have AAA? Life insurance? Car registration?

I also found it useful to open a 3-month window on my use-for-everything credit card and spot check my values. Then for my "everything else" line I have my average monthly balance, I subtract out the budgeted things which I pay for on that card (groceries for example.) This leaves me with a number that is out of budget money.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Any reasonable credit card has a "grace period" during which no interest is charged in purchases. It's typically 30 days, or at least until the first due date after the transaction posts. If you don't have a grave period, get a different card.

You can easily post your budget here: Option one, build your percentage budget and post that (see OP). Option two, pick a random number between 0.5 and 1.5, multiply all values by that number, post fake budget. Option one is better because the latter may be undermined by regional information (housing, electric, fuel prices, etc).

You might have no car payment, but that doesn't mean you're free of maintenance costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

H110Hawk posted:

Annual expenses. Do you have AAA? Life insurance? Car registration?

I also found it useful to open a 3-month window on my use-for-everything credit card and spot check my values. Then for my "everything else" line I have my average monthly balance, I subtract out the budgeted things which I pay for on that card (groceries for example.) This leaves me with a number that is out of budget money.

You can easily post your budget here: Option one, build your percentage budget and post that (see OP).

I'll take all this in mind and probably come back with a percentage one.

• Locked thread