Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

morcant posted:

Before my "throw all my money in a bin" plan, I got a little nervous especially as I started researching my November trip to Disney. I've never been there, and have no real idea how much I'll be eating/drinking out aside from maybe Drinking Around the World in Epcot. I've calculated the cost of park tickets ($160) and airfare ($336), but beyond that, I'm sort of floundering. My friend is footing the majority of the hotel bill, and has asked for $300 for it, with more appreciated but not necessary. Because I investigated and saw just how drat expensive the room is, I'd like to save a good deal more to give to him. I should probably just pick a number, I guess.

When I'm estimating unknown expenses, especially ones like a trip or vacation, I usually build out a reasonable minimum estimate using the major ticket items, and then just adding 50-100% of that cost on to it. So if you're already on the hook for $800 in major travel expenses, you're actually probably looking at about $1200-1600 in total with all other stuff included. I always figure if you overbudget and underspend, you'll never be stuck telling your friend you can't chip in as much as you'd like on the room or calculating your shared dinners out down to the penny to make sure you're within budget. Then you go in frugally, don't spend everything you've allocated, and you've got some extra savings set aside already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread