Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This is probably a very basic accounting question, but here it goes. I'm using an Excel spreadsheet to track my budget. I've started using two of my credit cards to churn points in certain categories. I was paying the cards off almost weekly through my bank but it was making me confused about where to track the money. Am I better off just paying the credit cards on the due date, for whatever the statement balance is and tracking the purchases under the category as I spend? Seems like if I do it right, my gas + groceries for one month should equal my Amex bill the next month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the bank service for that! :) Good idea. I'm gonna look into that this week.

USAA Web-Bill Pay is pretty awesome. You can setup automatic payments through it and pay non-USAA bills easily.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In addition to the helpful answers I got here about tracking my credit card spending in my budget spreadsheet, I found this and it really, really was a wakeup call:

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2013/are-you-riding-the-credit-card-float/

I was doing the float. Even though I'm confident I can avoid overspending to churn points, I'm going to put that on hold until I am a month ahead.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Any reason YNAB gets all the love over mint.com?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Can you use YNAB on more than one computer? I love my desktop, but don't have access to it for probably 5 nights a week due to my current living situation.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

One thing in YNAB that I'm struggling is why transfers can't have a category. I hate that I can't move $25 into my savings account and say it's for my emergency fund without getting errors.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Old Fart posted:

Every dollar has a job.

If you're putting $25 into emergency, where was it before? The account where you keep it doesn't really matter. Transfer the money without a category. Then, in your budget, subtract $25 from one line item, and add $25 to your emergency line item.

Before, it was in my checking account. I kind of get that it doesn't matter where "where" it is to YNAB, but it does to me, I want it to be in my savings account (which is on budget).

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah, I may do just that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

I use to have 4 savings accounts. One for long term bills, one for retirement (save up xx before transferring to Roth), one for savings and one for short term bills. So if you physically want your emergency fund in a savings account, maybe make a new one and make it off budget?

I actually did this a few weeks ago, and now that it's off budget everything is looking exactly how I want it to. Thanks everyone.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I agree with the overall wisdom of that approach, but once an emergency fund account is funded, it doesn't really take up any bandwidth unless you have a break the glass type emergency.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Hello, I really am in some desperate need to figure things out. I know I posted a while ago but never really followed up, which is my fault.

I appreciate any and all input. I guess I have been the person that thought if I just pay and keep what I am doing it will be better. That is not the case.

I know it's been said, but student loans, student loans, student loans. Before I consolidated and got into the IBR (income based repayment) my loan payment was $1900 a month (thanks law school!). Now it's about $600, including the $11,000 private loan from undergrad I couldn't consolidate.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

As for reading, I can't recommend these enough:

Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Life and Relationship With Money - Joe Dominguez, others (If you read nothing else, read this one)
The Four Pillars of Investing - William Bernstein
I Will Teach You to be Rich - Ramit Sethi this is ok but I think it's worth reading for the section on automation alone, it was very succinct
The Millionaire Next Door
Rich Dad Poor Dad

And I think philosophy and money are closely related so:
A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy - William B. Irvine

Oh, and read all of Mr. Money Mustache, from day one. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Working my way through Your Money or Your Life, seems like the first 100 pages has been A) consumerism is bad, B) more money will make you unhappy, C) have 6 months expenses in savings. It gets better, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'm going to have to try a fresh start on YNAB i think. I hate to lose all the spending data I've captured so far but I can't use it all for its intended purpose since it always thinks I'm overbudget by ~$2k to $7k.

• Locked thread