Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Reconcile!

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/how-to-reconcile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

For all you people using the Pre-YNAB Debt feature, how do you handle accumulating interest?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop giving me financial advice... cats and dogs living together...

[Thanks, I figured that was probably the way to do it -- personally I like keeping Debt accounts off-budget and just keeping the payments on-budget, because it's easier than handling interest line items every month -- especially since my student loans don't really say "$X interest accumulated this month" in any easy-to-read format. I should probably look at the statements one day.]

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Omne posted:

Another YNAB question. Let's say I started August 1st, followed it exactly and have $600 left to budget. I would like to keep a buffer in my main checking account (from which all bills are paid). How do I keep this buffer into next month, but have the ability to budget to zero? Ideally I'd like a cushion equal to a full month's salary so that I'm paying bills with last month's checks, but for now a $500 buffer would suffice

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/rule-four-live-on-last-months-income

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

(YNAB) Budgeting Practice question: I collect records, and sometimes sell them on eBay, etc. Would you budget that income as Income, or as an inflow in my Records category?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 22, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You can install YNAB on an infinite number of machines, and cloud sync your budget so it's available everywhere. They're also working on a web client, which is awesome.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Buy YNAB and post a new thread in this forum to let us help you with your debt and budgeting :getin:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

22 on-budget accounts.

:catstare: I would love to see that list

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Volleyball being broken iPods and restaurants being shelter? :v:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

YNAB is designed to budget only the money you have. If you haven't entered income into the register, you won't have money to budget. YNAB isn't just a spreadsheet, there's a methodology behind it which has certain implications for the way you use it.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-one

EDIT: vvv The YNAB way is to budget only money you have. You spending on your credit card is creating negative balance (Debt) until it's paid off. You should have an On-Budget account for your Credit Card, and an On-budget account for your Checking. Then make a transfer to pay it off. By spending on your Credit Card without receiving any income, you are spending money you don't have yet, so your budget balance will be negative.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/credit-card-payments

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They prompt you to take a class when you install, but I think that's kinda intimidating -- they should maybe autoplay the 4 Rules video or something.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

But the YNAB fanboys will always be beaten to the punch by resident Anti-YNAB Crusader POTC.

The answer to your question, Blinkman, rather than a rant about YNAB, is the "Budget to 0" button. When you hit the end of the month, you might have:

Budget: 300, Spent: 220, Leftover: 80

On the "Budget" field, you can click a dropdown with "Budget to 0" which changes your budget to equal your spent, and the extra 80 gets bumped back into your Available Money pool.

Whether that's ideal for you or not is up to you, YNAB isn't for everyone. Personally I am a fan of YNAB but moved over to Mint for a bunch of reasons. YNAB is handholding 'don't gently caress up your money 101' stuff. It is not made to forecast beyond money in hand. If you've got a grasp on your finances you're probably better suited for something flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TraderStav posted:

Yes, I have a long way to my goals but can't wait to make progress on them.

How do you spend almost $1,000 on groceries monthly

• Locked thread