Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Decided last week, with tax return and bonus from work in hand, that I was suddenly interested in buying a house.

Opened up YNAB for the first time in months, went through all my earnings/expenditures for the year and uh

Jesus Christ I get paid too much money relative to my expenses and I have just pissed away thousands upon thousand of dollars on the dumbest poo poo month after month simply because I wouldn't miss it. Could've bought a car or a house or some such. Like, I'm never in danger of running out of money so I just spend tons of loving money

That's for loving April.

I'm thinking I'm going to basically do what signalnoise said and set up a separate account for my spending dollars that I put ~$200 in per paycheck and limit my funtime dollars to that account and squirrel the rest away.

Maybe this will be the time I finally follow through on following my budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

It's a complicated solution to a simple problem :shobon:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I realize I'm a loving idiot, make no mistake there.

My credit card debt is down to $1000. That was largely racked up during college when I was working every other semester and needed some money when I wasn't working and wasn't able to start paying it down until recently. My savings is sitting around ~$5k, with another $2k in my checking right now. I make just over $3k a month and have about $1.5k in expenses. So since I'm never following a budget, when I think "Hey can I buy this" and check my bank account and subtract my rent for the month and have over a thousand dollars left over, I just say "yeah I can buy this"

I recognize that following a budget fixes the problem but I have this thought in my head that segregating my spending money from my not spending money would really help me to not be such a dipshit with my money, in that it essentially sets a hard cap on how much money I have to spend on stupid poo poo like booze and smokes and cheeseburgers, and I won't be able to say "hey, I could just borrow a few dollars from what was going to go into my savings"

e: To answer that last line, I have 3 months of savings and I'm contributing like I dunno 6% or something per paycheck to my 401k (matched!) and my student loan debt is down to $20k and poo poo is not bad at all but it wasn't until I thought about a serious purchase that I realized what a shithead I was with my money.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 23, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Veskit posted:

Why do you have ANY credit card debt when you make over 3k a month and have only 1.5k in expenses to begin with? The gently caress you don't need a budget to understand that you shouldn't have credit card debt. You also have a terrible relationship with money. Like really bad. Not just budgeting bad, like you're in dire straights awfulness bad with money thoughts. Lets go over some of the things I noticed you said in the past 10 minutes.

- You became suddenly interested in in buying a house. You didn't like, think it over, come up with a plan, or sounds like have any good reason to want a house, you're just like.... HOUSES THAT"S WHAT PEOPLE DO I WANT ONE NOW. Yeah that's smart... That's clearly a sign of having a good relationship with money. I want a house suddenly now that I have cash. So instead of coming up with a plan you just blew it all.

-You said you're never in danger of running out of money. Let that one seep in. Think it over. Say it to yourself again. "I'm never in danger of running out of money". Let that rattle in your brain for a sec.

- I'm going to do what this other person said he's doing even though the entire thread said that's not the best way to handle it. SMART, definitely smart.

- Maybe this time i'll do the right thing? MAYBE THIS TIME?!?! You think just maybe you'll be a responsible person and instead not be a total shithead and just speeeenndd away. Hey, maybe you'll just like, just wake up and have a healthy relationship with money.

- You are a loving idiot. You're even dumber for trying to justify your dumb dumb ways.

e:
also I'm a year out of college and only $20k in debt, that's not too loving bad.

In conclusion, you don't have a budgeting issue. YOu have money issues. YOu're bad with it. I mean part of the solution is budgeting, but you've been too lazy/ostrich in the sand to deal with it, so you'll just continue being a shitheel with money until you fix your relationship with it. I mean :lol: you literally said you "ARE NEVER IN DANGER OF RUNNING OUT OF MONEY". Hoooollllyyyy shhiiiiitttttt.

Alright, so first off, :chillpill:, you're getting way up in arms about some dude on the internet spending money recklessly.

I'm working on formulating a plan vis a vis the house stuff, hence me coming up with a budget and figuring out how to squirrel away money to get a down payment squared away. This is like, step 1 in the grand scheme of me buying a house.

And when I say I'm never in danger of running out of money, I don't mean that literally, loving obviously. I mean that with my monthly expenses, even given my awful spending habits, I've been net positive every month (though I went loving nuts this month I'll admit)

I've got compulsive tendencies which I'm trying to work on. Hence the 'maybe this time.' I'm trying to fix things and you're jumping down my throat here. I obviously recognize that I have a problem, and I'm trying to sort out ways to keep future me from loving this up.

I've never tried to justify me being a dumbass. I've clearly stated that I'm a dumbass, and I'm trying to rectify it, not justify it.

In conclusion, jesus christ loving calm down, dude.

e: I'm a year out of college with $20k in student debt at a low interest rate. That's pretty solid, based on my peers.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 23, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey minor victory, turns out if I include my 401k it offsets my student loans and I'm actually in the black :toot:
(by $92 but still)

Unfortunately I think next month will be new car time so I'll be back to where I started but I mean like, hey, gonna enjoy being worth more than 0 dollars while it lasts.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah mint is not really a good budgeting tool imo. Ynab is great if you can spare the dosh to buy it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ynab won't import cleared transactions but nothing's stopping you from entering them (and you should enter them as soon as they happen, not when they clear)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If you're only out of sync by a few bucks, do a balance adjustment and call it a poor planning tax or something.

If you're seriously out of sync, you definitely just need to get a lot better at keeping on top of things. Start doing reconciliations every day if you have to (new ynab makes this pretty easy)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

How much do you have to put towards February? Is it half of your expenses? A third? 5%?

Put that into an arbitrary category and then do that again next month and the month after if necessary.

Eventually you'll have enough money budgeted to that category that it's now enough to cover next months expenses.

And then every month after that, your income goes to next month.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mint is like putting a bandaid on a tumor

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

$600 a month for dining out

This would be a good place to start, and I wouldn't call you an rear end in a top hat for not spending $400 a month on charities because seriously I think you need to trim out some fat there

And obviously that loving car payment is killing you as well.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Wait your new car is $1350 a month but you've got $2100 budgeted for auto loans

Are you getting a second car that's going to set you back $700 a month?

gently caress dude, I know you're a fancy pants doctor but just buy a drat used Toyota like the rest of us instead of a gold-plated benz

E:
And yeah there's no way car registration is $100 a month unless you're driving a taxi on the side or that $1350 car is literally GRAVE DIGGER

Sockser fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 27, 2016

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The eating out thing is probably not that much of an overestimate; I've gone through three months and the average has been $400. It is clearly a place we can cut back.
Something that I do in my budget, since I get lots of work lunches at the local sandwich establishments, is to have a separate budget item for 'fast food'=poo poo lunches I'm buying at work and 'dining out'=taking my girlfriend out to a restaurant or ordering in some GrubHub or the like. This might be overkill for you, it might not. I like to track them independently.

quote:

The car registration was a projection, although my yearly registration is 1% per sticker price + 0.40 * gross weight. Which works out to like $50 a month for the XC.

Is that how car registration works in other states?? I've lived in Pennsylvania my whole life but I sort of assumed every other state was at least sort of similar where it's just like a $50 check you need to cut once a year. Suppose it makes more sense to do it by value of the car.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Doing your budget pretax kinda blows and unless you're going to do some crazy tax return I don't see much of a benefit.

Record your 401k as income to a different account and then everything that's subtracted just don't worry about.

As far as the Netflix card I'm not sure I understand the issue? If that gift card special puts you a month ahead, congrats, you've got $15 extra to budget next month.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If you have no liquid savings, absolutely get that started first. A blown furnace or your fridge taking a poo poo or anything going wrong with your new house will loving destroy you. At least get some semblance of a savings rolling.

Once you've got like, a few grand stashed I'd say split your money between paying down the highest interest debt and continuing to build an emergency fund.

You may want to even hold off on the 529 contributions until you have more fluid cash on hand.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Stash some of that bonus for emergencies and yeah just wipe out that high interest debt.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

That rent is pretty loving high, unless you're living in maybe downtown Toronto or something

(I live in the states and rent a house in Philadelphia in a hot neighborhood for $1200 a month, split with my girlfriend, for some context)

You can live in a regular lovely apartment and not in a fancy apartment complex and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If you buy litter every other month, budget for half a litter purchase monthly.

• Locked thread