Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just to throw this out there, but don't overlook Quicken. It connects to all my accounts automatically so I don't need to fret about missing receipts or anything. I used to input everything manually and it was ok until I forgot a transaction 3-4 times a year and had to spent an hour tracking it down.

Quicken isn't perfect, but mint is too simplified for me and I haven't used YNAB. The built in reports are pretty nice and decently customizeable to exactly what you want. Apparently the new version can even do some smartphone stuff and/or online backups/syncing. I don't have that version, though and had read numerous reviews about issues when it first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sorry this doesn't address your retirement question but there is almost no reason to be paying $100/mo for smartphone stuff anymore. There are a lot of cell re-sellers out there really undercut the biggies while still using their towers.

My wife has straight talk, walmart's plan, it's $45/mo for unlimited calling/text and 2GB data a month on ATTs towers. We brought our own phone there (bought a $200 Galaxy SII) and it works awesome. There are even better deals out there, but your best bet is to pick a company that's going to be using the best service in your area (att/vz/tmo/sprint).

If you're interested there is a lot of good info in the pre-paid cellphone thread in IYG.

Otherwise I think you're looking ok. You're saving money and you have a good emergency fund. Always "pay yourself" before you start the fun stuff. That means paying all your bills, saving what you want, and then worrying about how much left over you have for booze and games, etc.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Well last night I grabbed a cup, tossed my two credit cards in, filled the cup with water and stuck it in the freezer. I've been spending too much on fast food at/after work. I think this will help my wife and I try to consolidate our shopping trips anyway. I'll probably delete my credit card numbers from Amazon too.

If an emergency happens I'll just go to the bank with my ID and get some cash out.

Old thread closed and you already fell off the wagon. Jay slash kay bro.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

morcant posted:

Wow, that definitely sounds a lot better than my barely-functional 3G coverage through Sprint for $92/mo.

I'm coming up on the end of my contract in October, and was looking into Verizon's monthly stuff as my next provider, since Sprint's local coverage is not very good at all. I'd like to upgrade to an iPhone 5 (especially if the 5S/6/whatever drives down the price a bit), and beyond that all I really want is reliable data coverage. I've been posting a little in the Recommend Me a Phone/Plan thread, and am hoping the 5 shows up on Verizon's pay-as-you-go plan by the time my contact's up. I'll definitely take another look at Straight Talk, though, as I remember AT&T's local coverage being pretty good when I had my 3GS a couple years back.

I'm 95% sure straight talk can use verizon towers as well, but your mileage may vary depending on your location. One thing to consider is with straight talk you're either buying an unsubsidized phone up front, or bringing one with you that you already have. One downside is that you're limited to 3G speeds, I think, but personally 3G is good enough for me.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Can this still be the monthly, "I stuck to/was under my budget :smug:" or the "I on a spending spree and went way over budget :cry:" thread? I really enjoyed seeing other people's budgets and whether or not they stuck to them.

Yeah, I went a solid month and then for some reason my wife and I fell off the wagon. Thankfully she got an unexpected bonus a couple months ago that puts us where I expected to be.

I was hoping this was allowed in the new thread as well :iiam:

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 5, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

By the way, what is Quicken meant to be used for? I've never even looked at it because all my needs are currently met and my finances are not complicated.

Quicken is a more traditional way to look at your finances, just transaction registers and a bunch of reports that may or may not be helpful to you.

I use quicken, and I like it (in theory) because it's the mindset I'm used to and you can do automatic transaction downloads from your bank. I used to do things by hand and I would often miss something and spend an hour going through my bank statements and quicken to find out what's missing.

That said, quicken pretty much sucks. It's programmed horribly, it's slow and laggy and if it's doing something in the background it will often force it's way to be the application in focus all the while cycling the mouse between a hourglass and the cursor and redrawing the title menu 20 times a second. It's really a piece of poo poo, my guess is they've had the same programmers for 20 years and they just keep on keepin' on when it really could use a complete rewrite with modern programming languages.

YNAB intrigues me but some of the tomfoolery you have to do with inflows and outflows and stuff confuses me, but over time I've developed similar ways of doing things that are the same "Rule 4" is basically our Buffer in our checking account, and we've been doing "Rule 2" for a while.

I downloaded YNAB today to show to the wife to see if it's something she'd be interested in being more involved with. We recently bought Quicken '14 because they have a mobile app now that you can sync with your phone so you can see your spending, enter transactions there, see our budget, etc. No surprise that I can't get my client version to mobile sync now. While I'm not excited about entering transactions manually, I do really like the granular level of what dollar is doing what (as opposed to Hey there's a bunch of money in checking, we're rich!) along with rolling over available funds and whatnot (which I do think quicken can do as well in the budget tool). It would be nice to get out of the mindset of looking at the numbers in our checking account vs. "Well we only have $180 in our clothing bucket right now".

• Locked thread