Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It seems kind of crazy to worry that much about accounting for what ought to be a pretty minor component of the budget. Just mark that you paid sixty bucks and carry it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my eyes loving pop out of my head every time I see your car payment

Do you have zero liquid savings? I'd probably bank a little cash in your efund, but it depends on your interest rates, to some degree.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sockser posted:

You may want to even hold off on the 529 contributions until you have more fluid cash on hand.

Concur on this, or at least reduce contributions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do the math to see if it's really worthwhile. Most people significantly overstate their gas expenses.

Let's say you get 20mpg, which is a really low estimate. You burn three gallons of gas per day on your commute, which costs (at local prices) $6.45. If you manage to increase your fuel economy on your trip to 25 mpg (extremely unlikely but let's say for the sake of argument that it's true), you will now only burn 2.4 gallons, costing you $5.16 per day. Your absolute, ultimate upside, assuming 22 commuting days, is $28.38/mo. More likely, you're going to save maybe 10%, which gets you fourteen dollars a month. Not nothing, but not worth fussing over and making things less convenient for yourself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is 15% income tax correct? That seemed to be a bit hand-waved at the beginning. At least in the US there are fairly decent comprehensive payroll tax calculators, but I really have no idea for Canada and maybe it is all very simple.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't really have a particularly formal budget, which is probably a mistake. I have allocated money to things like rent, utilities, savings, etc, and then non-allocated money which covers everything else. Maybe I'll make a target budget and everyone can throw rocks at it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Here's my budget, roughly, on a monthly basis:

$8,779 post-tax take home pay

Fixed Deductions Before Expenses
$62.96 - Medical and Dental Insurance
$1,500 - 401k Contribution
$458.33 - IRA Contribution
total $2021.29

Fixed Expenses
$2,500 - Rent
$150 - Gas and Electric
$122 - Cable and Internet
$35 - Subscriptions (Netflix, Amazon Prime, MLB.tv, NHL Center Ice)
$180 - Car and Renter's Insurance
$75 - Gas
total $3062

Variable expenses
$350 - Groceries & booze in home
$450 - Eating out, entertainment, etc
$200 - Clothing
total $950

Savings and Other Contributions
$2,000 - House down payment fund
$500 - Taxable brokerage
total $2,500

Grand total $8536, savings rate 50.7% heck yes

Leaves about $250/mo left over which pretty much goes to non budgeted categories (presents for birthdays, car maintenance expenses, vacation money, etc). To be honest I really don't break down variable at all and just treat it as a roughly $1,300/mo pile of money to feed clothe and otherwise entertain myself. I should start tracking the variable side a bit more going forward against these numbers.

I don't really keep much of a cushion in my monthly budget because a lot of big stuff like vacations gets funded out of my annual bonus, which represents roughly 30% of my total comp. The above doesn't account for bonus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 3, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah basically what i am doing is allocating a big chunk of money and making sure that i don't stray outside of it. if it's a big purchase i fund it from elsewhere. i will be tracking my variable spending in a bit more detail to see how it actually ends up but if i look back on it i'm usually spending well under that in a month

i am extremely not down with tracking things on a highly specific line basis with an allocation against it. if you want to be, as the dutch so eloquently put it, an "ant fucker" more power to you, but i really haven't seen the need yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you're cool, it was more the other guy

ant fucker is such a great expression, please use it all the time. I'm fairly frugal and don't have much opportunity for scope creep in spending so a lump sum works pretty well for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Moi? If anything I'm moving mode toward your approach while tracking the individuals so I have an idea of consumption creep. We're not carrying category balances forward each month like we used to which turned into a game of shuffle the deck every time there was an inevitable overage in one and surplus in the other. I like the idea of a big slug of cash that plugs holes wherever they are, less stress. This is now possible due to the cash flow I freed up this month. Can't wait for my pay raise to hit tomorrow that is pure savings.

yeah, nah, it's the other, other guy (phantomofthecopier). I have very sufficient cash to cover any emergencies and don't really have to worry about cashflow right now due to relatively high income. I also don't really change what I buy from month to month so that helps with a lot of issues, plus all my vacations are relatively free so that's another reduction in variability.

Tracking down to the absolute line level is important if you're clawing your way out of debt but if you have good habits built and enough money it isn't that important.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

can you please for the love of God put that in dollar terms

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

seriously if someone on the Internet knows you make sixty versus seventy five what bad things are gonna happen to you

edit: at min misc car looks low, and even if you have a paid off car you should probably be budgeting some money for a replacement

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 11, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the quality of advice that you receive won't be as good if you don't put the budget in dollar terms because people have a really hard time thinking about 0.6% of 75,000.

just pretend you make five grand a month and update all that poo poo to be dollars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You straight up cannot afford a house on that budget.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dollar values allow for easy direct comparison to say, what I spend on electricity / internet / etc to see if those values in absolute terms are out of line. I know my internet service costs $40/mo but I don't know offhand that it's 0.8% of my monthly gross.

95/mo for internet cable whatever at the 60K base is probably reasonable, 118 at the 75K base is less so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I want to know what your income bracket is where you only spend 1% on a baby.

Two doctors IIRC, and also there's a separate childcare line so I assume that's "stuff for baby"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm sure you don't want to tell me where you are located for ~reasons~ but in most of Boston inside 128 you need to use a broker to rent an apartment. It's possible to do it without (I have friends who have done so) but it's very, very difficult.

There's a big place right near your work - what about a smaller place near your work?

• Locked thread