Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kansas
Dec 3, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I also realized today that when I was hired into my job a couple months ago I was automatically signed up to contribute to a 401k so I'm thinking of axing it. My employer does match up to 4% contributions but I feel like the interest on 40k in student loans doesn't make it worth it and the money is better served paying down those loans. There's only like 200 bucks in that fund right now anyway and it's just sitting there, being useless to me.

Your rate of return on the matched 401k contributions is 50% if they match 50 cents on the dollar. That is a risk free 50%. It would be foolish to give up a guaranteed rate of 50% earnings to more quickly pay down a 6%, 8% or even 20% loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread